Katie Holmes: Jackie O was a movie star
January 6th, 2011

Katie Holmes: Jackie O was a movie star

With her resemblance to Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, it's only natural that Katie Holmes was chosen to portray the American icon in the upcoming History Channel miniseries "The Kennedys." But Holmes tells February's issue of Elle magazine that she definitely went beneath the surface to capture the essence of the American icon.

“I worked as hard as I could, because I loved her. On set there was this feeling that we had to create something very special, because these people were very special," says Holmes, 32. “[The Kennedys] were like movie stars. There was such a professionalism to their public image.”

Holmes adds that she learned a lot while reviewing old footage of the former first lady.

“I didn’t realize that she had lost a child in August and then [Jack] was assassinated in November. I couldn’t believe it," she says. "She had so much strength… I loved her love of family, how important it was for her to be a good mother.”

Not unlike Mrs. Tom Cruise herself, who is extremely close to daughter Suri, even taking fashion advice from the 4-year-old.

“She’ll really tell me [what she thinks]. Like today I’m wearing brown suede pants, and she said, ‘I don’t like your pants.’ But then she’ll say, ‘You’ve got to wear these shoes.’ Or ‘That’s so pretty, Mom. Wear that,'" explains Holmes. "She’s got a great eye.”

1. lesley

i read about this in some magazine i can't remember today, but i can't see katie holmes playing jackie kennedy at all. i think, at least they could have found someone with a bit more talent (not saying katie's not talented; i just feel this is a bit out of her league, if i'm honest) and make the person up. not just go with her because of the resemblance. greg kinnear opposite her should be interesting though. i like him.

January 19, 2011 at 2:43 am | Report abuse |
  2. Liam

Don't ya just hate it when rich husbands buy their talentless wifes celebrity status and movie roles! I guess thats what Scien(egomanicial)tology does to you.

January 17, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. O_Katie_You_Poor_Ignorant_Grl

This poor child doesn't have a clue what she's talking about, does she? It's so obvious. Just shut up already, and let the adults do the talking, dear. You've had way too much spotlight and it's addled your poor little brain!

January 13, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Lily Daisy

There will probably be many more movies made of the Kennedys. Their glamour has outshown the seedy side of their lives, and Jack Kennedy did inspire a nation in many ways. As for Jackie Kennedy, she had style, sophistication and a savoir faire that no one will ever be able to capture on film.

January 10, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. John David Oswald

Back and to the left.

January 7, 2011 at 3:51 am | Report abuse |
  6. John David Oswald

I'll get you Kennedy's! And your little dog too!

January 6, 2011 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. God

LIFE SUCKS.

January 6, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. S & M Lincoln

Then maybe my dad can by me a job as president!

January 6, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marin

For someone who claims to have no interest in the Kennedys, you sure are obsessed. I think you're either a liar or eaten up with envy, both of which = LOSER.

January 6, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. S & M Lincoln

When I grow up I wanna be a bootlegger. It's the American Dream! lol

January 6, 2011 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. S & M Lincoln

CNN is in love with the Kennedys. They continue to block comments made about them that dont call them icons.

January 6, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. S & M Lincoln

Why do we have to get another movie about the Kennedys? They already had countless movies made about them.

January 6, 2011 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • sheppard

Stupid question, but take solace in the thought that no one is going to make you watch it if you don't want to.

January 6, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Superhiro

I personally think a lot of people give Katie crap just because of the scientology thing. Nothing wrong with her as an actress in my opinion. I could care less who she's married to or which stupid religion she belongs to.

January 6, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Allison

Or she is close to Suri because she is her daughter, that would make sense too. And she can watch footage and read things that make her understand the Era. Living through something isn't the only way to understand it.

Nice try though.

January 6, 2011 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  14. flyonthewall

Katie Holmes isn't old enough to even remember the Kennedy Era. No wonder she is close to Suri it must be tough to be close to Tom physically or emotionoly.

January 6, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |