Guess what? Taylor Swift is everywhere
January 6th, 2011

Guess what? Taylor Swift is everywhere

If you’re sick of hearing Taylor Swift, Lady Antebellum and Lady Gaga, there’s a reason.

Those super talents were the most played over the airwaves this year, according to the 2010 Music Industry Report, released by Nielsen SoundScan and Billboard on Wednesday. The report breaks down overall music sales trends, top-selling artists/albums and the most played songs, and there were a few tidbits that caught our attention.

Rap is the only genre that had an increase in album sales this year and country music had the smallest drop. This goes hand in hand with the top 10 selling albums of 2010. Eminem’s “Recovery” sold 3.4 million units, followed closely by Lady Antebellum’s “Need You Now” and Taylor Swift’s “Speak Now.”

Unsurprisingly, Taylor Swift was the top-selling artist, followed by Eminem, Lady Antebellum and Justin Bieber. But right behind them? The cast of “Glee,” with 3.6 million albums sold.

Interestingly, while physical album sales may have gone down, they’re still outselling digital album sales almost two to one in the top 10 markets. This seems to hold true to the theory that people purchasing music online lean toward singles.

And while we’re on the topic of digital song sales, Eminem was near the top of the list with “Love The Way You Lie,” but was beat out by Katy Perry’s “California Gurls” and Train’s “Hey, Soul Sister,” which both had more than 4 million downloads.

Ke$ha made her mark in 2010 as well, with the No. 3 digital album sales total and the top music video streaming numbers for “Tik Tok.”

On the airwaves, Swift’s songs were detected 1.1 million times by Nielsen SoundScan while Lady Antebellum had the most (over)played song; “Need You Now” inundated country and pop stations to reach 600,000 detections.

Who are you placing your bets on to rule the charts in 2011?

1. Nike Free

Dame 2012 Nike Free Trainer, Billige Kvinder Dame 2012 Nike Free Trainer Salg, Great Price, Kampe Rabat, gode anmeldelser, hoj kvalitet, sikker levering, intet salg Skat og betaling med kreditkort.
    Nike Free http://www.vnikefree.com/

November 18, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. papUrazzi

Anyone on here ever taken pics of Taylor before? If so, you should submit them to http://www.papUrazzi.com, or just check out the site to see candid pics of celebs taken by regular people when they see celebs on the street.

January 20, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ron31

I can't stand this untalented little girl. She has no fan base except for the teeny boppers,and anybody who like's her should have their head's check for brain damage. Anybody can sing about life experiences and relationships,It's good that Jake Gyllenhall and everybody else she dated has wised up.

January 7, 2011 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Janial

Taylor Swift is an inspiration. Sure I'm tired of hearing her when I try to shop or take the bus, but the things I notice people say about her are reflecting on yourself. TS shouldn't have been dissed by Kanye (I plain don't like him anyway), and you shouldn't have posted your jacka** comment online.

January 8, 2011 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • jim/dee

I sincerely agree with you, she has no talent, if you think she does, you are 13 years old and have no sense of music!!...She can't carry a tune or sing on key even with all of the electronic help she gets!!...The only thing she has going for her is her PR person, I have to agree, he or she has done a great job!!... Another thing, her music is not COUNTRY!!... Please, get her off the country music stations, her songs are only bubblegum for the teenyboppers!!... Yeah!! for Jake G. he finally realized PR with Swift is not very much fun, unless you like coffee....JUST SAYING......

January 8, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Priscilla

Lady Antebellum is one of my favorite bands! They are truely a talented group!

January 7, 2011 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  5. nicole

I know right girl

January 7, 2011 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  6. Dexter

I hate jiggaboo music.

January 7, 2011 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  7. Michelle

Talent is talent and she has it. Quit hateing, just becauase you don't like her; there is people who do. As far as KW, he needs to quit, instead of bashing someone else. He's a hater, he proved that on the music award show.

January 7, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  8. big Al

@itsok superhiro is really cheefsfury' alter ego! LOL

January 7, 2011 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  9. A Real Housewife

Hey Pete, what is Eminem's talent if not his music? You make no sense!

January 7, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  10. jrbubs

Why is it that everyone has to b perfect to get respect? Taylor is a nice talented young lady. She is well rounded and does not have to have maraih's vocals or slashes guitar skills. Stop tearing people down and give credit where it id due. The reason she is so popular is that she is relatable no matter ur age. Everyone starts some where and she has started pretty damn good! Go taylor:)

January 7, 2011 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
  11. anonymous

Taylor swift is garbage

January 7, 2011 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  12. Pete

Somehow I manage to keep mysel free and clear of fruity pop music. I have no idea who Taylor Swift is, or Katy Perry, and have heard the others just a few times by accident and unavoidedly. I will give some credit to Eminem. I dont care for his music, but his talent is remarkable. Otherwise, pop music = music for the masses = mediocrity.

January 7, 2011 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  13. OhNO

Taylor (eew) Swift the BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN of her generation???? Wow, standards have sure fallen

January 7, 2011 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
  14. Heado

I am so sick of taylor swift. She makes me want to puke

January 7, 2011 at 3:54 am | Report abuse |
    • erykah

please stop hating on her

January 7, 2011 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
    • nicole

u make me want to puke loser look in the mirror sometime cuz i bet she look a lot better than you do

January 7, 2011 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • erykah

thank you why do you just hate on her so much

January 7, 2011 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Kai

Eyrkah,
      Just because someone is honest enough to tell the truth about T. Swift and admit she cannot carry a tune or sing does not make them a hater. Love her all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that she has been sold hook line and sinker like a happy meal with a big fat toy inside to millions of people, who have been brain washed to think that it is okay for a singer not to be able to sing. Why she is idolized so much I do not know. Maybe people are just lacking so much in their own lives and want to believe that she is singing to them. Maybe it's BECAUSE she can't sing that they like her because she isn't a threat. She feeds the American Idol dream that anyone who is cute and has a big loud mouth and can flip their hair and wear shiny short dresses, can be a star overnight. Boggles the mind.

April 7, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Roland

She laughs like a white Chihuahua. Oops sorry. She's cute though.

January 7, 2011 at 3:18 am | Report abuse |
  16. Bbotts

Taylors vocals are shaky and as a musician i can tell you for certain as a musician myself that she really can't play guitar either. She seems to only know a couple of chords and is offbeat. Notice hoe she seems to have at least three other guitarists in the background when she plays live. I don't think her amp is even plugged in. She is cursor packaged to the mass media. Hard to respect her....

January 7, 2011 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
    • jim/dee

Boy, did you ever get that right!!... She also can't carry a tune or sing on key!!...What makes anyone think she is a country singer (I use the term loosly) just because she mentions Tim McGraw in her first song does not make her a country singer any more than Lady Gaga sings lulaby songs for babies!!...She does have a great promoter that gets her on every mag on the newstands and on every TV show available, that does not make her a singer....Her bubblegum songs are really getting tireing, unless you are 13 years old.... JUST SAYING.....

January 8, 2011 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Charles McGann. L

The r@pper r@per r@pper chrismas joke is real funny

January 7, 2011 at 2:36 am | Report abuse |
  18. lulu xD

I think taylor swift is grreatt!! an justin bieber too!! enimem is awesome!! an lady gaga is totally awesome!! lady A. is pretty good.. i love em all!! =)) but justin bieber thee most!! GOO JB!!

January 7, 2011 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
  19. Charles McGann

They got there fame all right killing a kid an raping I think you can call them losers

January 7, 2011 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  20. Charles McGann

They r playing raping games there using airwaves they have bn playing vioce games they have bn giving me dreams they r using the hardng of my skull they have bn killing me an causing brain dead games there realing on a move ment so they can shoot they have bn trying to send me to prizen for there crimes

January 7, 2011 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
  21. Anonymous

Taylor Swift is a very talented young lady with her heart in her lyrics and her soul in her guitar, she deserves every bit of attention she's recieving and anyone willing to "hate" on her by commenting is just a loser that needs to get over themselves, love ya T.S. :)

January 7, 2011 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  22. Vixen Blue

Personally i hate Lady Gaga and the others but Taylor Swift seems really sweet and acctually talented and i also like eminem and thats not even my type of music.

January 7, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  23. Roland

Cute...

January 7, 2011 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  24. leo

I WOULD B JALOUS TOO IF I WAS JUST WATCHING SCALPS ALL DAY LONG......LVYA TAYLOR!!

January 6, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  25. fannie Stallings

Oh well

January 6, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  26. michele

I enjoy taylors music. i personally really like the song love story. lady gaga has a few good songs, not too many in my opinion. Hell i still buy cds as well by the way.

January 6, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  27. nikko

Taylor um needz a freakin new job

January 6, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Amber

I love taylor she is a really great performer and an awesome person. i met her at her concert once and u could tell she has a gd head on her shoulders

January 6, 2011 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  29. 2011

I love all the people they just listed including lady gaga but who buys alumbs anymore and why would anyone love taylor that much anyway?

January 6, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Cosmotologist To The Stars

as a professional cosmotologist and seeer of future events i predict she will soon break up with her boyfriend jake.

January 6, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Cosmotologist To The Stars

i thought i read somewhere she was a professional football player. whoever posted that might have been mistaken though. either way me and the ladies that work in my beauty salon dont care for her.

January 6, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  32. jmpTmj

taylor swift is ok.ive never liked her enough to buy an album.her songs r catchy the first time ya hear them,but i get easily burnt out.but i have alot of respect for her to have accomplished what she has at her age. :)

January 6, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  33. hanna

I really have nothing to complaints here. At least all these artists have careers. If anyone has anything bad to say than don't come on here.

January 6, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  34. ronald l harris

I like your w.nt. Uz.news

January 6, 2011 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  35. ronald l harris

I like your nat. Wold nsws.

January 6, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Daniel

she is talented, gorgeous and I desperately want her to write a song about me after our break-up

January 6, 2011 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Angela

More power to taylor swift at least shes not lindsey lohan

January 6, 2011 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  38. queen

turn that off

January 6, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Velu Palani

We need better News to read

January 6, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Kanye West

She don't deserve it! Howmany times I got to tell y'all?

January 6, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  41. lkrisand

Taylor Swift deserves all she gets as she writes, plays and produces...unless she somehow royally screws up, she will become the Bruce Springsteen of this generation...anybody that listens to Speak Now knows its not a lot of fluff...the secret to selling CDs is filling it all with great songs and not just filler garbage with one single...She's not some cardboard fake pop star, she's the real deal and doesn't have to prove a thing to anyone

January 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  42. banasy

Guess what? We've noticed.

January 6, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Chris

If you don't bother too much with entertainment shows/magazines or listen to the radio, you won't get sick of any of them. I appreciate Taylor and GaGa as well, although I don't really care for Lady Antebellum. Limit yourself.

January 6, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  44. renee

I am sick sick of tAylor swift!!

January 6, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  45. its ok

someone told me superhiro is really the legendary comedian steve martin. if so that is super cool.

January 6, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  46. rAwrx3

Smh'

January 6, 2011 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Superhiro

I don't see why anybody buys music anymore.

January 6, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |