Bill Murray crashes karaoke party
January 6th, 2011

Bill Murray crashes karaoke party

Take a good look at that man singing "Ghostbusters" next to you at the karaoke bar. It just might be Bill Murray.

During a recent night out at New York City's Karaoke One 7, a few lucky fans were pleasantly surprised when Murray knocked on the door of their private room and sat down for a few songs.

Mike, one of the revelers, tells theCHIVE.com he spotted Murray at the bar earlier that evening and invited the quirky actor to join his crew, but he didn't expect the star to follow through.

"About 15 minutes later we get a knock on the door... IT'S BILL F@#KING MURRAY!" says Mike, who shares photos of the experience with theCHIVE. "We were all shocked, of course, but at that point we were already pretty trashed so the party just kept going."

Murray, who was accompanied by a female companion, ordered the gang another round of drinks ("some French liqueur made by monks," says Mike), before belting out a few tunes.

"The high point was when Bill and I sang a duet of an Elvis song called, 'Marie's the Name,'" says Mike. "Random I know, but so was the night."

But maybe it wasn't quite so random.

In 2008, the New York Post reported that the "Lost in Translation" star – who had just split from his wife – had turned into quite the party animal, hitting on women at bars throughout the city, crashing hipster house parties in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, and being spotted exiting apartment buildings in the early morning hours.

"It was surreal, I was like, 'Why are you here, talking to us?' said Sophie Ellis, who had Murray suddenly join her table and buy her party two bottles of champagne at Manhattan pub the Half King. "He was very gentlemanly, even though he looks quite grumpy — like a granddad."

Mike agrees that hanging with 60-year-old Murray can be fun, if not a little freaky.

"As you can imagine it was all pretty surreal. Something I will never ever forget…Viva Bill Murray!"

1. demonfeed

The alcohol thing sucks. If you get abusive when you get drunk, then you get divorced, are you still abusive when you drink? Do you still want to drink? Whats up with that?

January 12, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. drew

Awesome thread. Glad everyone likes Bill Murray. I think people believe he's Canadian because of all the actors he stared with on SNL were from there.

January 12, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Superhiro

I know it's like a day later but I had to mention one Bill Murray movie that hasn't yet been mentioned. Kingpin. Big Ern was a champion.

January 8, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jimmy

Sounds like him. I saw Bill Murray at a party in Fargo (North Dakota! not Minnesota :). He was like it wasn't a big deal, but it was great. Funny guy. He was held over by the airport for some reason. But it was a big deal. He just hung out with the NDSU crowd Very cool

January 7, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. richard

It’s good to see this information in your post, i was looking the same but there was not any proper resource, thanx now i have the link which i was looking for my research.
    You can also look into my site:tiffany earrings

January 7, 2011 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Vic

God Bless Bill Murray!!!!

You gotta love a celebrity who's so down to earth he'll karaoke and get trashed with you for a whole night.

Class act all the way!!!!

January 7, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lancon454

I think that when you get to that point of superstardom, you want more than anything to go back to the days when you could hang out with normal people and do normal things. I guess someone like Bill Murry does not like being about fake people all the time, and wants to be a real person himself. I love Bill Murry, he rocks!

January 7, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  8. big Al

@Mike. GB III comes out this year. Google it! All the original cast posted on the Internet last year!

January 7, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  9. nicholasmrazek

I'm serious bill if you read this hit me up nicholasmrazek@gmail.com we love you down here!

January 7, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  10. hanna

Awesome. The comments on here are amusing. People chill out it's just a story,no need to say he's an alcoholic or it's a fabrication.
    Who wouldn't want to hang out with Bill Murray? (I'm sure the people who say they wouldn't would be putting their foot in their mouths if he did ever show up somewhere). Gotta love Bill Murray.

January 7, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  11. Rosalinda

BILL MURRAY AS LONG AS U ARE HAPPY AND DOES NOT HRT ANYBODY GO AHEAD MAKE UR DAY. LIFE IS SO SHORT MAKE THE MOST OF IT. MOVE ON.

January 7, 2011 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  12. nicholasmrazek

Bill murray come party on beale st!!!

January 7, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jan

SO want to party with Bill Murray! Fell in love with him as a little girl when I thought his name was Peter Venkman. Now, just want to knock back some funky monk liqueur (however you spell it) and sing a song with him. Mike and his buddies just had the best night of my life!

January 7, 2011 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  14. Patrick

Isn't that a gay bar????

January 7, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  15. Lisa

Would you please, for the love of God and your own body, STOP THE DAMN HAMMERING!!! - Scrooge
    I love Bill Murray!!!!!!

January 7, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  16. Gator

Dude, hanging out with Bill Murray even for a few minutes would be F'in awesome. That guy owns. It would be cool as hell to smoke some bud with him too. The man is a living legend and long live Bill Murray!

January 7, 2011 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  17. Phil

"some French liqueur made by monks,"

Chartreuse?

January 7, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  18. Bill Murray

Nobody will believe you.

January 7, 2011 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  19. Bill

What a stupid story. The drunks were unable to recognize Bill Murray as an actual human. They sound like wide-eyed idiots.

January 7, 2011 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  20. Mike

I wonder if he'll does a rendition of "Ghostbusters"?!

January 7, 2011 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  21. Stripes rules

"Hey, you can't park there! It's a loading zone!"

"We're not parking it – we're abandoning it."

January 7, 2011 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  22. big Al

If you believe everything you read I guess that makes it entertainment. Bill Murray IS funny and entertaining to say the least.

January 7, 2011 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  23. Jake

A'Ring A'Ding Ding!

January 7, 2011 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  24. Barney

"No one will ever believe you..."

January 7, 2011 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  25. jack

He does this sorta stuff all the time- 'they'll never believe you' type hijinx.

January 7, 2011 at 8:06 am | Report abuse |
  26. fat so?

Ish in the hole!

January 7, 2011 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  27. Barbara

Maybe Bill Murray just enjoys being around "real" people when he parties and would like to avoid the "plastic land" people when he's out for a night on the town. Alcoholic? Abusive? Never heard any of that before.

January 7, 2011 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  28. Rick

Thought he was awesome in Zombie Land! He may need to cut back on the amount of alcohol he drinks, but it's cool that he is still willing to hang and party with everyday people.

January 7, 2011 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  29. joe

worry about yourselves. you are all messed up . nobody's perfect

January 7, 2011 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
  30. Herb

"Gruppa
    January 6th, 2011 7:06 pm ET

Nobody will believe you"

Nobody does. And I love/hate the guy for it.

January 7, 2011 at 6:00 am | Report abuse |
  31. John

Long as he doesn't drink and drive or abuse anyone or cause a riot I see nothing wrong with this. These kinds of stories are for the tabloids and rumor mills and gossipers. No matter what we think we know about others, we don't know a fraction of it. If someone gets hurt, obviously restraint is needed. Otherwise, stay the hell out of other peoples business.

January 7, 2011 at 4:51 am | Report abuse |
  32. gigs

Met him at a bar in west hollywood in the 1987. He was the nicest guy I met in that city. Just fun and charming and very real.

January 7, 2011 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
  33. Peter- New Jersey

Murray did night club bits in early SNL... as a phoney, schmoozing wack-job. He was a riot, back when that show was actually funny.

January 7, 2011 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
  34. shannon

Long live Bill Murray!!

January 7, 2011 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  35. Sime

Razors Edge!! :D

January 7, 2011 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  36. Andrew

Broken Flowers sucked. His worst movie

January 7, 2011 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  37. fauxhawk70

The best Bill movie ever is Stripes!!! I love that movie!

I saw it with my friend in the movie theater... I think like back in 1981. I was only 10 then.... That was back in the day when even though the movie was rated 'R' nobody cared and you could walk up and buy a ticket without your parents.

Everyone was so laid back! Now everyone is so damn PTA!

January 6, 2011 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  38. John

Gopher killer!

January 6, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  39. sockpuppet

what is so funny about this is the girl who said he was such the gentleman despite looking like a grumpy grandad LOL....I am quite sure if he is buying drinks for young people he is not looking at himself like an old man and is hoping they don't either. An accurate self-perception is rare, but throw money and fame into the mix, and you can forget about it. This sounds sad. I love BIll Murray but it never bodes well when one cannot relate to one's own peer group. He sounds like he has a problem with the booze.

January 6, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  40. canadian

Great great actor

How's about "ye old aunt jamima (sp?) treatment".... Lol

January 6, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Artie

Broken Flowers, Lost in Translation, Rushmore, The Life Aquatic.. Now THESE are my favorite Bill Murray movies. If he ever came over to my apartment for drinks I would have to bust out all my DVDs for autographs.

January 6, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Dizzyd

Go, Bill! Just be careful. That's so cool he helped you move – a good friend.

January 6, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Kurt Cobain

Here we are now, entertain us!

January 6, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Ann

Bill is from Chicago. He comes from a BIG family. I think he's one of 10 kids! I loved Bill, Akroyd, John Candy, Jane Curtin and Chevy on the old Saturday night live. They were a riot.

January 6, 2011 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • EmSeeDubayou

Candy was never a member of the SNL cast. Wikipedia does, however, say he had one uncredited appearance in 1981.

January 7, 2011 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  45. Count Dracula

I met Bill at a U-Haul Rental place in Hollywood many years ago. He was helping a friend move! None of your friends would help you with that so you know that he's golden! Its a Cinderella story...

January 6, 2011 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  46. G-man

To Bill! Life is short....enjoy yourself and deliver a smile or two in the process! From a fellow 60 y/o..........

January 6, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • pombo

Bill F@&$ING Murray is the man! I wish he would have come into my queens karaoke night he.could even take one of my girls home it would be fine cuz its Bill fu@%king Murray

January 7, 2011 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  47. tillzen

drive him anywhere / for any price

but drive him to Philly for a cheese-steak while listening to indian drummers; priceless.

January 6, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  48. NYCLOVE

I read in other blogs the french liqueur was called Green Chartreuse. I love that stuff!

January 6, 2011 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  49. downsouth

Cannonball... cannonball coming!!! – Carl Spackler

January 6, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  50. 33

Where the Buffalo Roam

January 6, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luckyfrog33

You win, that's by far his best movie, not that i don't love them all!

January 7, 2011 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  51. Masa D. Luffy

This is exactly the kind of celebrity I love the most. The kind of guy that doesn't let his job get to his head and can still conmingle amongst us non-public folk. Just a guy who legitimately wants to have a good time, what's wrong with that?

January 6, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Gerardo

Good for you Bill, I will be so happy to share a good night party with you, lets do it....

January 6, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Gruppa

Nobody will believe you

January 6, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Ben

You STILL make no sense.

January 6, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Belushi

I never liked that Jerk.

January 6, 2011 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  56. rickilynn

You rock Bill. Wow d love to party with Bill Murray even if he was 90 yrs old he's. Like a bottle of fine wine gets better with age and at least he's not stuck up like most actors are. You rock Bill

January 6, 2011 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Dave49

What I am trying to state is you go out with your friends. Your peer group. From the parties he busted/entered In the past he was alone. This is the first time he was with someone. I am stating there is the possibility his close peer group will no longer go out with him because it turns out not to be a party but to get wasted. And in all the past accounts I read it has always been noted everyone did get wasted. I could be
    all wrong but many red flags go up including the fact his wife left him. None of his personal buds to go out with/divorce-something does not add up.

January 6, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • John Belushi

You think too much. Maybe he's from Mars, did you ever consider that? If you don't know the facts then speculation can lead to anything.

January 7, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  58. Dave49

I don't mean to put a downer on all the positive comments but is there a possibly a big alcohol problem? If you remember he was out of the country and surprised some people at a bar with people stating the party
    left the bar and went all night. You would think he would party with close friends at his age which is also my age so I may have a perspective. I always go out with the "guys" if I am in the mood. Just food for thought.

January 6, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben

You make no sense.

January 6, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Buddy

Duh! It's only an Alcohol "problem" if you let it be. Otherwise it's just Alcohol fun! Let Bill Murray drink all he wants, party with whoever he wants, whenever he wants! I mean, It's BILL F%#KING MURRAY!!!

January 6, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • EmeraldCity

Dave49 – He's known for being an alcoholic. It's been in the press for ages and the primary reason his wife filed for divorce was because he was abusive to her (either verbally or physically or both) when he drank.

January 6, 2011 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark C

"I always go out with the "guys" if I am in the mood. Just food for thought."

Here's some more food for thought: nobody gives a flying f#%& what you do or don't do.

January 7, 2011 at 1:42 am | Report abuse |
  59. Steve Stout Jr.

He isnt Canadian. He was born in Wilmette, Illinois, U.S.

January 6, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Chris

Bill Murray is awesome. Hollywood is on his terms, not the other way around.

January 6, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Onewho Knows

Groudhog Day was good. Caddie Shack was better.

January 6, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Avon Barksdale

Plus he was in Groundhog Day! That's good enough for me. Did I already say that? lol

January 6, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Avon Barksdale

Plus he was in Groundhog Day! That's good enough for me.

January 6, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Avon Barksdale

Of course he can be president! Just have his dad buy the presidency like that one kids dad did back in 1960. MONEY. If you have enough u can do or be anything u wanna be in this country.

January 6, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Superhiro

How dare you try to tell Bill Murray what he can and cannot do.

January 6, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Superhiro

THE greatest! Bill Murray for President.

January 6, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  67. dave

He's a NUT!
    One of the all time great comedians.

January 6, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yeoman Johnson

He's great. I think that is awesome that he just wants to hang out with "regular" people and enjoy himself. Gerard Butler did a lot of that when he was in Detroit – he would hang out with random people, buy rounds of drinks, and just was a nice guy. Not jaded, not JUST going to the best venues, and hanging out with celebrities. I heard he even played laser tag with some peeps. That's cool.

January 7, 2011 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |