Betty White: 'I'm going to go away for a while'
January 6th, 2011

Betty White: 'I'm going to go away for a while'

Sometimes there is too much of a good thing – at least, according to Betty White.

The beloved entertainer, who, over the past year, has hosted "Saturday Night Live," guested on "Community" and "The Middle," appeared on a calendar and a clothing line, and returned to primetime TV with "Hot in Cleveland," is threatening to keep a much lower profile in 2011.

“It’s hard for me to say no to a job because you spend your career thinking if you say no to a job they’ll never offer you another one,” White said at the annual Television Critics Association press tour, according to the Hollywood Reporter. “My mother taught me to say no as a girl. But I’m trying to cut down, I really am.”

Good luck, "Golden Girl"! During a Q&A panel with "Hot in Cleveland" co-stars Valerie Bertinelli, Jane Leeves and Wendie Malick, 88-year-old White was as in demand as ever and was the recipient of most of the questions.

“What is this Betty White business?" she asked. “This is so silly. You’ve had an overdose of me. I think I’m going to go away for a while.”

Thankfully, fans can still get their fix with "Hot in Cleveland," which returns to TV Land for a second season on January 19.

1. shroom

Great beat ! I would like to apprentice at the same time as you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a blog website? The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered brilliant clear idea

April 9, 2012 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
  2. K m

She was hilarious on Craig Ferguson last night. She should live it up while she's still living!

January 27, 2011 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. I Eat Cheetos

"I'm going to go away for a while? That's what my grandmother said to me before she died.... :-(

January 24, 2011 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jainTN

I think she's great and she won't be around forever so I hope she's kidding.

January 21, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Patty

Please don't leave! You have been the laugh of my life for the past 3 years as I battle cancer. You make me laugh like no one ever has. And it is healing! Love from Minnesota.

January 20, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. oh please

wow
    what a way to FOOL people into reading this article. have it headline with Betty White: 'I'm going to go away for a while'

what a crappy loser manipulative manner of getting people to read your article.

January 19, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Susan

Betty White is a class act and I hope she serves as a role model to some of the younger set who have no concept of how to be "classy". I'm thinking Britney for one.

It's a shame that we're losing so many actors who actually had talent and leaving us with reality show stars who have none!

January 18, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sheila

She's doing the right thing. Don't get me wrong I really like Betty White but the media has gone way overboard on her. She's a decent comedic actress who has become more well known and popular with age but enough is enough. They're trying to turn her in to a national monument and it's just plain silly. I think even Ms.White is beginning to feel a little silly about all of this. I hope she lives another 88 years and I hope she does pop up every now and then so that we can continue to enjoy her but let's put things in perspective here.

January 18, 2011 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Frances

Betty
    I still remember you from password when you were married to Allen Ludden. Loved you then, love you now. The best of luck to you. Keep us laughing

January 17, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  10. wot90s

you are one of the best Betty White, you will be missed, before you are gone. Like a Candle in the Wind, you are a legend in your time.

Come back to see us every once in a while just to remind us of what a true classy actress really is made of. There are some still out there, but like lots of things in the past, a vanishing breed.
    Good luck in your life Betty White. God Bless You and God Bless America, Land of the Free, and Home of The Brave

January 17, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  11. deb

Betty is wonderful. I can't wait to see her in the second season of Hot in Cleveland. She gives new meaning to old age! If only we could all be like her! I really admire her spirit!

January 16, 2011 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sandi

Betty is great, but there is such a thing as overexposure! We don't need to see her everywhere! If she goes, can she please take Oprah with her? I am so sick of seeing her face everywhere that I could just scream!!

January 14, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  13. Lily Daisy

I was thinking recently that Betty may be burning herself out with her new found fame. After all, she is 88? Most people are already pushing up daisies by then and Hollywood is a demanding employer. I think she's very smart to step back and maybe reaccess what she truly wants to give at this point in her life.

January 10, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. 11811

Betty White is scheduled to appear in Grand Rapids, Michigan for Laugh Fest – a fund raiser for Gilda's Club – in March. I can't wait to see her!

January 6, 2011 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. rolyat

I hope this woman lives another 88 years. Because Animal rights organazations benefit greatlly from her wallet.
    She donates heavely and generously. If she is never remembered for all she's done on screen, she will surely be remembered for all she has done for Zoo's, neglected and abused animals, etc.

January 6, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  16. mplaya

Good for her – she deserves a well-earned vacation! The more she paces herself, the more we could see of her!

January 6, 2011 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jannie

Betty is so gracious and so sweet. God Bless her and the best of luck to her. Perhaps she should rest a while. Love you, Betty.

January 6, 2011 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  18. DougB

Betty is a smart cookie-shes following that old saying "always leave them wanting more!"

January 6, 2011 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Red Wing Blackbird Hunter

Wrong. She's a stale cookie at this point. She'd have been a smart cookie if she said that sometime in the second quarter of 2010. But no, she stuck around and signed on to anything and everything that came her way. The routine and and limited character choices became stale... like an old cookie that's been left out too long.

January 6, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • hotandcold

Hey Redwing Bird Hunter! Don't you have a bunch of dead birds to go pick up for your supper? They must be pretty foul fowl by now. Just up your alley and much more stale than Ms White could ever be. hahaha

January 7, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  19. womanwithmanners

You are a rude, obnoxious jerk.

January 6, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Renee

Wow!! NICE....

January 14, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  21. deedee jones

what a rude statement to make comparing betty w to an old cat

January 18, 2011 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  22. Carol

I know you aren't THE JAN MICHAEL VINCENT are you? If you are, be nice, I always loved you and your movies, love Airwolf.

January 18, 2011 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |