'V' ups the creepy factor in season 2
January 5th, 2011

'V' ups the creepy factor in season 2

Editor's Note: This post contains spoilers from the January 4, 2011 episode of "V."

After a first season that crossed the line right into cheesy-town on a couple of occasions, "V" was back Tuesday night, increasing the stakes and especially the creepiness.

It's hard to believe that the aliens were able to make such quick work of the world after just two months. For much of the first season, the populace seemed to be eating out of the palms of their hands, but not lately.

Anna, accused of starting to have human emotions, covered the earth with a "red sky," and we got a nice little fake-out in the first scene, with everyone on earth having passed out - of course, it was all just a dream of Erica's.

What isn't a dream is that Ryan's alien-hybrid baby has been born, and her mother killed. Anna is very interested in the baby, and she banished Ryan back to earth (like no one has ever snuck on board before). The minute that Ryan's girlfriend got pregnant, I had a feeling this whole plot had something to do with hybrid-breeding, and well... I'm getting a little ahead of myself.

First, let's revisit more memorable moments, like Anna proving her lack of emotion by lashing out with her snake-like tail at a random underling, ripping off his skin before finishing him off. Nope, no extreme emotion there.

Then, we had Anna instructing her daughter (now one of the good guys, after all) to get it on with Erica's son Tyler, while she watched on his jacket-camera, making sure to let her know how convincing it was later.

So if it wasn't really, really obvious that Anna is interested in making some more hybrid babies, they told us in no uncertain terms when Erica and the rest of the fifth column discovered a decades-old alien skeleton, and mentioned that she had excess levels of phosphorus in her system while she was pregnant with Tyler. And phosphorus is needed for the V's to breed. Is that clear enough for you?

Yet while we know the what, we don't quite know the why. But never mind all that - there's one more creepy scene to come, as Anna goes to some heretofore-unseen level of the ship and speaks to her mother, who's stepping out of a pod (that would be Jane Badler from the original "V").

At this point, I'm just along for the ride, waiting to see what bizarre twists come next.

So what did you think of the series' return? (iReporter Nadya Alvarez thought it was "a great start to the season.") Will you continue to watch or is it all too much for you? And are you happy that Scott Wolf's Chad the reporter has finally chosen a side in the battle? Share your views on iReport or in the comments below.

1. IRISH5776

DIANA!!!! That was AWESOME! I love this series...it is perfect...No... but I really hope they keep it around for awhile

January 6, 2011 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. JennaB

This is a brilliant series. I like it much more than the original. It also has some eerie parallels to what is happening in this country right now. Obama = Anna. Healthcare Refom = Free healing centers Red Sky = Communism Fifth Column = Tea Party. Excellent writing, excellent show!

January 5, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Earl

Great start to the season. My mouth literally dropped when Anna attacked one of her own, possibly because the way she did it. In addition, I loved how Ryan's daughter immediately recognized him when she came forth. I'm sure either he will get her off the ship or someone else, possibly Anna's daughter.

January 5, 2011 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kristen

I really liked the season opener. When Anna's face crumbled upon turning off the soldiers' life support...I felt for her. That's what I love: a villain that you love to hate, and who you foolishly try to identify with. Anna makes the show.

But I fear: where is this going? Where will they take this? I can see it turning into garbage quickly.

January 5, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. familyfun

Love this show! Our whole family watches. So nice to have a show our two sons can get into that also has an old school sci-fi flare my husband and I like. My husband watched the original as a kid and he is still really loving this remake.
    Anyone else ponder the reasons behind why so many different sci-fi show/movie plots center around "human emotion"? Whether cherished, loathed or coveted, it is frequently a major focus that differentiates our species from others. Just interesting I guess...... I know I felt my motherly emotions kick in last night during the scene where Anna visited her injured children and then turned off their life support systems. I really thought she was going to cry for a moment! All in all, great season opener. I hope they keep this time slot since I think that was part of the ratings problem last season... it was on too late.

January 5, 2011 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. greenie

Diana Diana Diana!!!!

January 5, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Sean

I love this show! My wife and I are totally hooked. Aside from the "small cameras everywhere and super technology that never seems to be in the right place at the time the resistance is doing something" problem, this is the best scifi show out there right now. I do have to ask...does it seem strange that the media never asked the V crew if there are other habitable planets or other humanoids anywhere else they've traveled? You know that would be one of the first real questions we would ask...

January 5, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Startover

Unbelieveable that this tripe stays on tv while Stargate Universe gets axed... Brainless cattle people.

January 5, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Overmind One

OMG...Stargate Universe should have been canceled at the end of season 1 of that awful show. It wasnt even science fiction, it was a soap opera. V is AWESOME!

January 5, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Laura

Love this show!!! Anna's character is fascinating to watch.

January 5, 2011 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Loren

I'm a sucker for Sci Fi, so V could be the first Battlestar Galactica and I would watch, so the new V has the distinct advantage of having modern production values, reasonable interesting characters and enough of the ick factor to make it worth watching, for now at least. (I will say that I'm upset that Caprica has ended, which was a far more interesting pogram than V).

January 5, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Amy

The show started out a little slow at the beginning of last season, but I got hooked when the pace picked up. I could definitely do without the actor that plays Tyler, he is not a very convincing actor. Love Anna's daughter, her internal conflict is totally believable.

January 5, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ol Yella Bastid

DIIAAAAAANNNNNAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! It was a great twist to see Jane Badler repriing her role as Diana, and I can't wait for the next episode. Also, nice effect in the beginning when Tyler started to melt in the red rain. I just don't like any of the Fifth Column members and am waiting for Anna to wipe them all out. Of the hour that the show lasts, only a half hour is really watchable, and that's when it's following Anna.

January 5, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Bioscotto

My only issue with this show is that they put tiny, microscopic cameras in every single jacket, and yet seem to have no video surveillance on the ship anywhere! A camera or two in key rooms would have destroyed the fifth column years ago!

January 5, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • PlotHoles

Yes, the plot is filled with holes like that. Why doesn't the resistance videotape skinning (or x-raying) a captured V and show the rest of the humans who they're facing? On another note, is it just me, or does Erica look like Trinity from the Matrix?

January 5, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Clewdster

Totally hooked! Love the show.

January 5, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Simone

The original V queen, good. The new member of the Fifth Column, the science guy we need, good too.

January 5, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Debulator

I enjoyed it. I really think it's a good series. I was surprised it didn't do better in the ratings. Hope the network continues to give it a chance. The special effects are amazing, the acting is good and so is the writing. I'm not seeing the "shesy" factor here as some have noted. Just enjoying the ride.

January 5, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Racing Mom

it's cheesy, but I am hooked !

January 5, 2011 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  18. texasfan

I was far more excited to see Bret Harrison (please make him a regular!) than I was to see Jane Badler (in an obvious if surprising role). Still some very hokey dialogue and silly plot leaps. But I'm still here....for now. I really hope they improve the dialogue though, sometimes it's almost unbearable.

January 5, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Dave Carpenter

Great remake . alot better than the original

January 5, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

I agree, this series remake is awesome. Much better than the original. Way to bring it back!

January 5, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • donovan

I loved the original. i don't like the whole terrorist angle. In the original the visitors convinced humans that scientists were bad. A much scarier scenario. Also this Erica lady is way too cold. They had a great family in the original series and did a great job showing how the visitors tore families apart. Erica's personality reminds me a lot of Anna's. And no Daniel!! Come on..he was the person you loved to hate.

January 5, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • andrew

great show..i loved the opener.

January 5, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |