Big changes for 'American Idol' season 10
January 5th, 2011

Big changes for 'American Idol' season 10

"American Idol" is getting a major face-lift. Besides new judges Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler, a slew of other changes are in store for the next season.

For starters, expect a fresh new set that will also show off new musical director Raymond Chew, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

As has been rumored, the elimination process will be much swifter, with the singing competition skipping the Top 24 and going directly to a Top 12 (or 15 – producers are still deciding). In addition to choosing their favorites via text, viewers will now be able to vote online as well.

The contestants themselves will experience even bigger changes. Besides living together in an "Idol" mansion, they will have the chance to perform original songs and may even make music videos.

And when it comes to theme week, "We’re not going to ask a country singer to sing an R&B song, or an R&B singer to do Led Zeppelin,” says Interscope/Geffen/A&M music exec Jimmy Iovine, who will help mentor the hopefuls. “If the theme is ’80s or Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, every song will be customized to that contestant.”

And there's great news for the show's fans: No more months-long wait for music from their favorite singers – songs will be released as the season progresses.

"The sands of time are slipping through the hour glass," explains Geffen Records chairman Ron Fair, "and you want to capitalize while the public is so engaged in the story of winning or losing.”

Season 10 of "American Idol" premieres on Fox on January 19.

1. ArmyguyDan

This crap is still on the air

April 28, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  2. tim5150dale

Let's watch and see what happens but as simon says- "sounds like complete rubbish"! (Eyes roll!)

January 11, 2011 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  3. columbus

It's just a matter of time, the show is on life support, even if JLo and Tyler are somewhat appealing, it took a few years for the original cast of judges (with Paula and Simon) to gel. Their out of time.

January 6, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. rum and oj

I didn't read the article, just want to put in my 2 cents. This show sucks and i'm glad I don't watch it, it's kind of like dancing with the stars, so lame.

January 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Farran

While I appreciate the modified format and additional voting options, what continues to bother me is that unless they have changed it, people can vote an endless amount of time if they are willing to spend the time and money (e.g. texting). That inherently makes this a flawed process of determining a true winner.

January 6, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. hocman

Definitely, this show has jumped the shark. Recipe for success: Find good singers, not showpersons....let the singers develop into showpersons in accordance with their talent. I really wanted Carrie Underwood to win, and she deserved it and has developed into an outstanding showperson....that's the formula. Daughtry has done the same, although he didn't win. And J. Hudson? Terrific!.

January 6, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Really?

I fear for the U.S. with all the mispellings, disjointed sentences and the lack of proper punctuation. Is this how the majority of American citizens communicate? People...stay awake while you're in school. Don't be stupid!

January 6, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  8. julie

Looking forward to watching this year!

January 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Anonymous

Please... please.. for all that is humane.. end this stupid show.

January 6, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Traci

I'm going to give the show a chance then make a decision. I love Simon and will miss his comments but this show is about finding new singers and some of these people may have never had a chance without this show.

January 6, 2011 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kimi

Just curious if all the ppl who are dissin AI are the some of thousands who were rejected by AI over the years..could make for lots of bitter lil ppl who wanna see the show go down!..lol

January 6, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  12. the_dude

At first I was really concerned about the state of the American Idol show. But then I remebered I am not gay so it didn't matter to me anymore after the point I realized I am not a gay.

January 6, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Carol

Once Paula was gone that did it for me and it hasn't been the same since. I don't care for Jlo, I don't love her or hate her but she's and interesting choice even though she's not a vocalist herself. Steven Tyler lost a lot of respect doing this gig. He's a rock n roll icon and has lowered himself to judging a reality show. A lot of people are laughing at him for doing this show. I personally don't care. Ozzy Osbourne had a reality show so who cares? I'm still not sure if I will watch or not.

January 6, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  14. DDSilks

I can't stand J Lopez. She is such a prima donna, so demanding and full of herself. And she'll bring the Spanish in with every contestant, you know that. Just like Ellen made it the Ellen Degeneres Show part 2 with her jokes. I wonder what happened to "Jenny from the block?" And it won't be long before there is Mark Anthony night to give her hubby a job.

January 6, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. hanna

The ratings will go down significally and the producers will realize how bad of a direction they went in. The shows layout will be different next season, wait and see.

January 6, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  16. Beth

The voting is still wrong!! Should be only one vote per phone number then it would be accurate and not a bunch of teenagers constantly texting over and over for their favorite. It also would be nice if this year they actually have people on that can sing!!!

January 6, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  17. 新和凉快的

新和凉快的新和凉快的新和凉快的新和凉快的

January 6, 2011 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  18. Henry Vewer

Here's an idea. How about showing the singers singing and skip all the stupid stories. Last season, I counted 6 minutes of singing in a 1 hour show.

January 6, 2011 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
    • Arvid Aramas

That is sooooooo right on the money! We like to be the judges, but can't do that if AI does not show the singers. Maybe it is a budget thing, like if they have to pay royalties if a singer performs for more than 20 seconds????

January 6, 2011 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  19. matt

Hey all,
    Latina, I dont know too many "pro" singers that can sing live. Ever heard Bono live.....he sounded like he was having death rattles.
    What ever happened to the fat black dude (season 2?) Is he still alive? Clay Aiken proved being #2 is more profitable.
    Ruben....thats it. I think he got pity votes because he looked so unheathly with all the sweating. Really, no sarcasm intended. Though he sings better than my ass.

January 6, 2011 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  20. Lauren

The executive producer told Entertainment Weekly that there will not be online voting this season.

January 6, 2011 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  21. herb

its ok but it sound kind pf pitchy to me. you need to do a little better in the next round dawg.

January 6, 2011 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  22. Louie Brazille

J Lo will kill this show even faster, she isn't funny, and will be trying to hard.Poor Randy, I feel for you "dawg"...

January 6, 2011 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  23. Rose

The main change this show needs to make is the voting process – there should be a limit on the number of times a person can vote from a particular phone number or e-mail address. You get these teeny boppers that vcte not for talent but because they think a contestant is cute or whatever. I would hope that this is the last year for Idol – it has definitely run its course. I won't be the same without Simon. Steven Tyler is digusting and JLo – not much talent there either.

January 6, 2011 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  24. clarissa

The changes sound pretty cool but i hate that theres no more simon!!! D:

January 6, 2011 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  25. witt

YO YO YO HOWARD ! BA BA BOOEY ! BA BA BOOEY ! HOWARD STERNS PENIS !

January 6, 2011 at 6:52 am | Report abuse |
  26. Michelle

.I used to love watching American Idol, but now am disgusted with the show. The prouducers should let the judges vote.People were eliminated that had beautiful voices. That's crazy. I will not be watching it . Has'nt been the same since Rueben, Kelley, Fantasia. They could sing. I loved Simeon because he told the truth.

January 6, 2011 at 6:47 am | Report abuse |
  27. charlie

Seriously people? You would think that after 9 years this would get old! Im calling for a boycott of fox until they finally cancel this unfair, immoral slugfest showcasing everything that is wrong with this country and society today. If people would put half the energy and time that they spent on this show on something productive such as school or even their jobs, then maybe we could fix some of the wrongs in society. Get over yourselves and start thinking how your actions today are affecting your children's future. BOYCOTT AMERICAN IDOL, BOYCOTT FOX!

January 6, 2011 at 4:12 am | Report abuse |
  28. Charles

All you can do is rag on someone for using caps or not using perods. Grow up cry babies, comment on th subject. Don't criticize someone for not typing th way u want them too. Now its time to rest th show for a while then do it again. Thank you.

January 6, 2011 at 3:51 am | Report abuse |
  29. Chrysalis

Ugh, this show really needs to be cancelled if it's come to this...'Idol Mansion'? *facepalm*

January 6, 2011 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  30. btr big time rush

Hi everybody if someone wants to ask questions about us go ahead. And just ask right here

January 6, 2011 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  31. yo

Show is somewhat addicting, parts of it r getting stale though, don't worry for those of u who want it retired... It will soon be replaced by simon cowells "x factor" show which will be coming in the future

January 6, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  32. ArmyguyDan

This show is still on, I still hope they cann it

January 6, 2011 at 12:01 am | Report abuse |
  33. OhSnap

Dear AMERICAN Idol, please die already. =\ Your's truly, Adam S.

January 5, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  34. tim5150dale

January 5, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  35. tim5150dale

That's craaaazzzy,... Crazzzzy , crazzzzy for ya bo bice ya, you stood secrest up and told simon! He craaazy craaazy !

January 5, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  36. tim5150dale

That's craaaazzzy,... Crazzzzy , crazzzzy for ya bo bice ya, you stood secrest up and told simon! He craaazy craaazy jlo even craaazy what can I do honey watch it on youtube whoooo ohhhh whooo oohhh ! Dabbble babbble daba yeah! Interesting!

January 5, 2011 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Tyler Phillips

I believe the new changes to Idol are great. In recent years the show has been losing fans, including myself. However I plan to check out this season and I'm sure others feel the same.

January 5, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • KS

I am with you Tyler. All these people who are claiming the show should die will watch too, just to see what's up. They are just too insecure to admit it!

January 6, 2011 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  38. un1k3n

Idol may have jumped the shark, but when Fonzie literally jumped the shark on Happy Days, it worked. I'll reserve judgement for now.

January 5, 2011 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob W

It worked????? It was the single worst moment in TV history. Why do you think the phrase has become synonymous with ridiculous television?

January 6, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  39. chrissy

well i aint no teenage girl far from it in fact and have luvd this show since the beginning and l thing i learned in life is if aint broke u dont fix it! they shoulda kept paula and simon there have been many times i wanted 2 tell him 2 go lay by his dish

January 5, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  40. wifey

I havent watched american idol since carrey underwood was on there...gets old way fast

January 5, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • KS

Then why are you reading articles and posting on blogs about it? Just asking..........

January 6, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  41. Alanah Curless

I think that this new season isnt gonna go very well.Without the three original judges ,who started the show, veiwers are most likely to not watch the new season.

January 5, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • jon

You mean 2, unlike most movies the black guy is still alive..

January 5, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • stew

Jon, Alanah's statement still stands. The show will indeed be without the three original judges. One (Randy) does not equal three (Simon, Paula, AND Randy).

January 6, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  42. teddisha

Ryan is dating julianne huff .... & i cant wait for auditions!! <3

January 5, 2011 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  43. brian

i wish i lived in a communist country so that crap "news" like this would get filtered out... it's just so dang depressing I'm gonna cry for 30 days and 30 nights...

January 5, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anna

Ha ha ha This is a communist country,honey! The only difference here is that the government have done a heck of a job making us believe otherwise.

January 6, 2011 at 5:51 am | Report abuse |
  44. Michael

Here's an interesting materials that American Idol fans should look at: http://musuehaddadspiritualgrowth.blogspot.com/

January 5, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  45. johns

This show has "jumped the shark"

January 5, 2011 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  46. fernando haro

My favorite show.

January 5, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  47. hanna

This show is going in the wrong direction. I hate to say it but this show isn't going to last much longer but than again American Idol's viewers mostly consists of teenage girls and teenage girls have bad taste so it could go on and obtain a reasonable number of viewers.
    Besides that this show has gotten worse and pointless.

January 5, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Neil n Kansas

I love Paula Abdul show its hott!!! I'll be watching it at 7 tonight!!

January 5, 2011 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Robert Garman

They All Sound The Same! Enough! Im Boycotting Idol! Come Join Me And Lets Bury This Dead Horse!

January 5, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  50. kim

Well I Was Hoping Howard Stern Would Judge Hope This Is The Last Season I Will Not Be Watching But I will be Watching Paulas Live 2 Dance Hope She Kicks Idols Ass Idol Nothing Without Simon And Paula

January 5, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  51. gregory

thumbs up to randy & steve. dont understand why j is going to be a judge. they should have got someone like gene simmons.

January 5, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  52. the future

I think this is going to be a interesting season but it will be boring without simon so well see

January 5, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Tina Yothers

When did they bring Urkel onto the judges panel?

January 5, 2011 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  54. latina

I just wonder... how come JLo is a judge for a singers contest when she can't even sing live..... just wonder???????....=\

January 5, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Sailor Joe

This show is so dead.

January 5, 2011 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Kay

You think the producers are hoping for bonus drama with all those competing egos living in one mansion?

January 5, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  57. B-Dog

Steven Tyler looks like J-Lo's mom.... or grandmother.

January 5, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  58. art vandolay

No Simon, means no Art Vandolay watching this season.

January 5, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  59. big Al

@cheefsfury. Drop the CAPS buddy!

January 5, 2011 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  60. t

Hope they get people that can sing........................really sing........not the shower singer or the one night star........

January 5, 2011 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  61. idol

I miss Ellen but I love Steven Tyler.........

January 5, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  62. cheefsfury

I AM GLAD THEY REPLACED ELLEN WITH A BETTER LOOKING WOMAN I WONDER IF RYAN AND HER ARE DATING THE WAY RYAN HAS HIS HAND ON HER SHOULDER LIKE THAT ALSO DO YOU THINK THAT STEVIE WILL SING LANDSLIDE

January 5, 2011 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Revy

I hope you learn to turn the caps lock off, you moron. Oh, and a little puncuaton won't kill you either. What are you, 12??

January 6, 2011 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Um, Ryan's hand is on Steven Tyler's shoulder, not J-Lo's. But the mixup is certainly excusable.

January 6, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • cheefsfury

NAH BRO IM 13 AND I KNOW THAT RYANS ARM IS NOT ON J LO BUT ITS ON THAT STEVIES CHICK SHOUDLER

January 6, 2011 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
    • mom

That "Stevie chick" is Steven Tyler from Aerosmith. HE is not a chick. Dude does sort of look like a lady though. LOL

January 6, 2011 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
    • BL

Hello! Ryan's gay (really)

January 6, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Seriously...

Seriously Cheefsfury, every day?? Every day you are posting something in long run on sentences, incorrect spelling and grammar, all caps, insulting people, etc. The whole routine of pretending to be a buffoon and getting irate with people who respond to your posts is getting old and tired...can't you come up with a new gimmick?

January 6, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Victor

I hope the ratings tank this season ans they finally put this show to rest.

January 5, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mutts

In your case the simple solution would simply be to turn the tv to something that you want to view. Personally I have enjoyed this show since it first aired. Though I do not always agree with the actions taken by those in charge, I still enjoy listening to the music.

January 6, 2011 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |