Moments later on 'Pretty Little Liars'
January 4th, 2011

Moments later on 'Pretty Little Liars'

After five months without “Pretty Little Liars,” I was hoping the first episode of 2011 would reveal some clues as to who A is, how Alison was murdered and, more importantly, "whodunit."

Instead, we got about 42 minutes of Hanna lying in a hospital bed, and yet I wasn’t disappointed in the slightest.

The second half of season one began exactly where the first half left off:

Hanna was taken to the hospital after being hit by a car near Camp Mona, the slumber party located in the woods where a teen girl was allegedly murdered a year prior. Like that wasn’t going to end badly.

Aria spotted Noel, dressed in black and lurking in the background, but she wasn’t the only person to see something out of the ordinary that night.

Later, at the hospital, Hanna told the girls she saw Noel write something on a car’s back windshield right before her accident. At that point, Aria decided to come clean about her relationship with her English teacher, and told the girls that Noel wrote “I see you” on the back of Fitz’s car. (Not something generic like “Wash me” or “Go Sharks!” as Fitz pointed out earlier in the episode.)

At that moment, Noel knocked on the door of Hanna’s private room with a get-well basket. Though Aria gave him the benefit of the doubt, his alibi didn't quite check out.

After the girls left, Mona stopped by to make amends, waving a white La Perla bra, “the international peace symbol." After a quick makeover - because heaven forbid Hanna look only slightly made-up as she nurses her broken leg, broken ankle and several bruised ribs - Mona took off so Hanna could rest.

Moments later, someone else was at the door. (How are all these people getting past security?) This time it’s Lucas, the seemingly innocent yearbook editor we caught covered in mud a few episodes back, sneaking in to give a fake-sleeping Hanna a quick kiss on her forehead.

When Hanna asked Lucas about the kiss over a cup of tapioca pudding, she told him, in the kindest way possible, that she just wants to be his friend. After a few disheartening words, Lucas stormed out.

Hanna’s next visitor wasn't quite as… alive. Or is she? When Alison stops by dressed as a candy striper, Hanna tries to get answers about the night of her death, but the response she receives is just as cryptic as a text message from A.

“Telling the truth to the wrong person at the wrong time is how I ended up where I am,” Alison said. “Take it from me, you’re always better off with a really good lie.” Then she added: “I really should do something about A. That [expletive] is genuinely getting on my nerves.”

Before disappearing into the hallway, Ali leaves a lipstick stain - perhaps the same color lipstick we saw on Spencer's mirror a few episodes back - on the plastic cup beside Hanna’s hospital bed. So… what do you think? Was she really there, or is Hanna on too many painkillers?

Back to Aria’s illicit relationship with her English teacher (which level-headed Spencer calls “really self-destructive" but also “really hot”): Noel confronts Aria about it at school, but she begs him to keep her secret. Did she learn nothing from the first 10 episodes? And, more importantly, does anyone else think Fitz should grow his hair out again?

In other news…

Emily told her parents she’s gay; Spencer’s sister Melissa eloped with her ex, Ian; Noel spied on Fitz after-hours at school; Jenna warned Emily to stay away from Toby; and Hanna awoke to a message from A written on her cast:

“Sorry about losing my temper. My Bad. Love, A.”

The episode ends with a shot of the tree Alison and Ian carved their names into - the same tree Spencer and Aria went looking for earlier in the episode - burning in a fireplace.

What did you think of the 11th episode? Is Lucas actually A?

1. angel

ok when hannah is left by ali and the clip goes into the cup with the lipstick, it looks like the lipstick has a word in it. to me it looks like MONA. look at this clip at 2:11 and look at the cup, what do you see?

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skIwaV7arlI&w=640&h=390]

March 20, 2011 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. ABCFamily

Hey everyone! I’m glad to see there are such fans of Pretty Little Liars! Have any of you been tuning into the new season? I think the mystery to find out who A is has pretty much doubled! I love the show and that’s not just because I work for ABC Family. What do you guys think so far?

February 20, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  3. abbie

i no what it is... :P
    Alison wasnt their friend. Alison had a twin. she killed the twin. The twin Courtney was BFF's with Aria,Spencer,Emily adn Hanna... not Ali... Alison killed her twin cos she "knew too much" she tries to kill the other girls to... for the same reason!! sorry if this isnt 100% TRUE but its near enough!!!! :) cya x

January 6, 2011 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • abbie

but!! what if each Girl had their own Alison... so it wasnt just Mona....? :)

January 6, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Lorin

I hope the show doesn't follow the books so that no one has any idea who A might be.

January 5, 2011 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  5. jen

As tina said , mona is the first A. Alison has a twin sister named courtney who thinks she's A its really confussing but yes mona is the first a when they found alison dead it wasn't really alison its quite confusing but courtney is supposed to be in a hospital cause she thinks she's alison so just think this way alison is courtney and courtney is alison.

January 4, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Allison

well, they changed it from the books, so im not sue if mona will still be A, but the possibilities are Melissa or Lucas, since he 'lost his temper earlier', but that could mean Mona losing her temper before, or someone trying to frame Lucas. Just possibilities.

January 4, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. tina

a is mona. alison isnt dead, courtney (her twin sister) is. ian will die.mona will die. then alison will be a.

January 4, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Anne

i think A is Mona because Mona sort of tried to make Hanna forget about what happened in the past and to "move on." to me it seemed fishy...

January 4, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Eliza

I am VERY interested to see what direction they take the show as I've read the book series and they claim to be taking the show in a different direction. I think they are really pointing fingers at Melissa with all the subtle things they have her say and whatnot but it's almost too obvious so I'll be dissapointed if they make the mystery that easy. Plus, I hope it's not Lucas cause he is a sweetheart! I'm starting to get nervous for Aria...

January 4, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lorin

At this point in the series A could be just about anyone. But something tells me it might be Spencer's sister, Melissa. She just seemed so calm when she heard that Hanna was hit by a car, almost like she already knew. And, apprently Ian had a thing going on with Allison even more of a reason for Melissa to want revenge. But idk.... like I said, it could be just about anyone. I don't think it's Lucas though.... I was really confussed watching the episode.... I'd like to believe that really was Allison alive but again idk... Maybe the theories of Allison having a twin sister are correct, maybe that was Allison's twin? Either way I don't think Hanna will remember the encounter being she is all drugged up and even if she does she'll probably pass it off as just a dream. I felt bad for Emily with her parents but I thought her Dad would have reacted far worse than he did. I was very happy to see him say at least she is healthy and it really isn't the end of the world. The Mother on the other hand was being a witch. I think it's only a matter of time before everybody finds out about Aria and Mr. Fitz' relationship. Noel seemed really weird at the end like he was going to do something to Mr. Fitz. Perhaps he'll assault him and than Mr. Fitz will go to the police and than the whole story will come up? Who knows? I can't wait for next weeks!

January 4, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Allison

I didn't think it before last night, but I think Melissa killed Alison.

January 4, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |