'Burlesque' in the lead for upcoming Razzie noms
January 4th, 2011

'Burlesque' in the lead for upcoming Razzie noms

Sometimes it's an honor just to be nominated – but not when it comes to the Razzies.

The nomination ballots for the awards celebrating the worst movies of 2010 have just been mailed out, and "Burlesque" leads the pack, with nods for worst actress (Christina Aguilera), worst supporting actress (Kristen Bell and Cher), worst supporting actor (Cam Gigandet), worst screenplay, and worst director.

The glitzy musical was not, however, considered for worst picture, reports the L.A. Times. That distinction went to "The Bounty Hunter,” “Clash of the Titans,” “The Expendables,” “Grown Ups,” “Jonah Hex,” “Killers,” “The Last Airbender,” “Little Fockers,” “Sex and the City 2,” “The Twilight Saga: Eclipse,” “Vampires Suck” and “Yogi Bear.”

While Angelina Jolie got a Golden Globe nomination for lead comedy actress in "The Tourist," the same film also got her onto the Razzies' worst actress list. Jessica Alba made the cut for worst supporting actress thanks to her work in “The Killer Inside Me,” “Little Fockers,” “Machete” and “Valentine’s Day," joined by Emily Blunt for "The Wolfman" and "Gulliver's Travels."

Worst supporting actor contenders include Mickey Rourke for "The Expendables" and "Iron Man 2," and triple threat George Lopez for "Marmaduke," "The Spy Next Door" and "Valentine's Day."

Thanks to the 3-D craze, a new category has been added to the Razzies this year: worst eye-gouging misuse of 3-D. Among the movies that made their way onto the ballots: “Piranha 3D,” “Resident Evil: Afterlife," and “The Nutcracker in 3D.”

The official Razzie Award nominations will be announced January 24.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies

« Previous entry
  1. Karla

The Tourist, The Expendables, The Last Airbender, Yogi Bear and Burlesque all sucked. They deserve to be the worst pictures.

January 7, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Rebecca

Both Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie deserved Razzie nominatons for The Tourist, not only Angelina. He was flat and she walked around like a mannequin with no real emotion. Their performances and the movie were all terrible.

January 7, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Troy

I saw Burlesque with my wife. It was pretty awful. One of the times I did agree with the critics. Christina Aguilera is a horrible actress. She's ok as a singer but her vocals turn into nothing but a screamfest eventually. I didn't see Yogi Bear, but one of my colleagues took his young children and they all didn't like it. The Other Guys should be nominated that was one of the unfunniest pictures I've seen in my life.

January 7, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Arlene

"In many ways, the work of a critic is easy..We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and theirselves to our judgement.We thrive on negative critisism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is propably more meaningful than our critisism designating itself."
    This is a quote from a children's movie and I just thought it is fitting.

January 7, 2011 at 5:31 am | Report abuse |
  5. giselle

Killers really suck, the worst movie ever.

January 6, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  6. comment

i don't understand why burlesque gets so much flack. everyone i've asked whose seen it, and i've watch it myself too, all enjoyed the music and the performances. sure it's not the strongest story-line with the best acting in the world, but i think certain movies need to be taken for what they are. when i went to go watch it, i kept my expectations relatively low, and i was, therefore, pleasantly surprised at how much i liked it.

January 5, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chewie1

The Razzies are a joke. What once started out as a jab against the giant corporate mega-movie-making machine has turned into a sick parody of itself.

Somebody put this meaningless drivel of an awards ceremony out of its misery.

January 5, 2011 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  8. barry

I think they should have a razzie for movies that ruin themselves with awful endings. I nominate "inception". When you tell a story you should finish it.

January 5, 2011 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  9. Boka, Philly, PA

any movie with sandra bullock should automatically be considered for a razzie.

January 5, 2011 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  10. CedarStump

My wife and I both thoroughly enjoyed Burlesque – my wife is a ballet teacher and I met her when she was singing in a trio on stage. Both of us have college degrees. What's not to like about Burlesque? Great singing and dancer. Oh, you need a plot? Burlesque's plot was there to empower the singing and dancing.

January 5, 2011 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mark

Burlesque was a horrible movie people need to open their eyes

January 5, 2011 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  12. Mark

Burlesque is a horrible movie mournblade people need to open there eyes

January 5, 2011 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  13. Who

I thought Joe vs The Volcano should have made the list. Wait, that was 20 years ago and I'm still haunted by it!

January 5, 2011 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  14. Mournblade

I'm stunned at how many of the general public liked Razzie level movies. What's happening to our societies quality and taste? Frightening that some actually attempt to defend Burlesque!

January 5, 2011 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  15. matt

Probably satc2. i find it hard to belive, after making such a consistently good and funny show, and an ok first movie, that this was the best they could do. i mean, cmon, it satc, they can take a chance and actualy write a movie. as they proved people will go see it no matter how many sequels they make. oh and grown ups definatly.

January 5, 2011 at 4:12 am | Report abuse |
  16. sandie

IF YOU WANT A HORRIFIC STUPID MOVIE THAT WOULD BE SAW 3D. AFTER THE FIRST 2 THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN SMART AND STOPPED. GROWN-UPS IS THE WORST MOVIE BY FAR IN 2010.

January 5, 2011 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
  17. John D

How did MacGruber not make this list, or worst movie EVER!!!! I like the SNL skit but this movie was BAD! And not in a fun type of bad either.

January 5, 2011 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
  18. robb

When I go to a movie, I am going to be entertained, not to critique the movie. So there are people that hate this and hate that, they are screwing themselves out of a good time. They probably suck in bed too. Enjoy what you do, whatever you're doing, and it is awesome!!!!

January 5, 2011 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
  19. jay

Eat pray love was horrendous absolutely.

January 5, 2011 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  20. Sea

Cher and crew were great. We loved the movie. Never cared what the critics like or dislike. I care about what I like.

January 4, 2011 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Sea

Cher and crew were great. We loved the movie. Never cared what the critics live or dislike. I care about what I like.

January 4, 2011 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  22. susan

I loved this movie. The music and costumes were great and I thought Cher looked beautiful.

January 4, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  23. chris

so i thought killers was great, watched grown ups with a group of 70 people and we all liked it. I think tron, the town, and the american were some of the worst movies of the year.

January 4, 2011 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  24. B

Hey Chris I am a white straight guy in my 30's and I loved Burlesque! It was fun and I never expected to walk in and see a deep movie. I just wanted to see CHER do what she does best. Entertain. Great Movie.

January 4, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Pfhduencn

I thought grown ups was pretty funny. Adam sandler does some great movies

January 4, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Jam

Twilight should have been first on any bad list as for the other guys at least that one was funny the expendables well it was an action movie it was never an oscar contender.

January 4, 2011 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Dean

Let's face it – there were worse movies and worse peformers than listed here – these might even be movies which barely saw the light of day they were so bad. Movies which made $20, etc. However, of the major release movies, SATC2 definitely should rank up there in the top 20 or perhaps top 10 major released bad films of the year. As a mega-fan of the series, that movie was just PAINFUL to sit through. I could just imagine what it was like for people who didn't know or didn't like the series.

January 4, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Thor

The Killers was the worst piece of garbage I've been forced to see. If the movie studio wanted to spend money on a disaster they should have donated all production costs to help the Haitians rebuild.

January 4, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sukhber

Everytime my sister in law told me that movie is good, I felt like finding Ashton Kutcher and kicking his ASS!!! That wasn't a movie, it was the stuff you leave out of a movie!!

January 5, 2011 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  29. chris

Burlesque is a musical and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Of course I wasnt dumb enought to expect a riveting plot like Schindler's List or Saving Private Ryan. The choreo, songs, and costumes were amazing and better than I expect them to be.

White straight men in their late 50 should NOT be allowed to review this film. It's not made for them. Plain and simple.

January 4, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Laehcim Iksweldnes

How come TRON 2 didn't make the list. Ho-Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

January 4, 2011 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Scott

lol Rick – you let an opinion go without serving up more of your abusive garbage? You "don
    t mean to sound snobbish"?? That's as much of a joke as the rest of your self-serving comments.

January 4, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  32. dan

Last Airbender was a steaming pile of doo. Worst movie of 2010 with nothing else even a close second.

January 4, 2011 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  33. t

How could The Other Guys get overlooked for worst picture?

January 4, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  34. joe

You people need to get off the burleque and tron bandwagons. Both films were absolute garbage. I didnt see most of the movies on that list but i'd say airbender has to be the frontrunner for worst pic.

January 4, 2011 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  35. kathy

Burlesque...Fabulous...music, dancing,costumes, and drama. Beautiful performance. Magnificant men. And the voices, singing. Hurray to Cher, she can sing and so does Christina. YAHOOO!
    Icould not stop dancing as I was leaving the theatre. Praise the music. forever...dancing, Kathy

January 4, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Judy

The American is the worst movie I've seen in a long time.

January 4, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  37. ang

I think big mistake the critics are making. Actually busrlesque had plot, good storyline and a bit sentimentally raunchy on the classy side. (His movie deserves recognition but which critic has the pants to say so? Most try to please the crowd. THis time they judged badly, shame on you Christina more than looks n booty showed singing talent and cher sang with gusto for her age.HELLO!

January 4, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  38. tom

When I saw the preview, I thought, oh no, "Showgirls" all over again!

January 4, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Derpaderp

The Last Airbender should take all the razzies. WORST MOVIE EVER.

January 4, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • kevin

It's a horrifically bad movie that managed to completely suck the life out of a wildly popular and award winning anime series.... but worst movie of all time? Not even close. – If you are a sucker for punishment, try watching "Battlefield Earth", "Gigli" or "Meet the Spartans"...

January 5, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  40. Bartok

Whatever. The Razzie's are crap. Used to be funny but they've overpopulated the categories. They really should be "Worst Of The Best" because you can't tell me any of those (maybe SATC2 just for SJP's horseface) are worse than the straight to DVD and made for TV shlock that get's put out weekly.

January 4, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

The Razzies are only for movies that have been played at the theater. Stop complaining and get a clue about what you're talking about.

January 4, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Parbz

Lol well what else do u expect from the razzies? I watch a movie cos i want to, not because a critic advises me to. All critics are opinionated; so are the movie goers who watch the films but without predetermined critique.

January 4, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

Wow you spend money on movie tickets without even knowing if it's good or not? Then don't complain to the theater if you see a bad movie. Research is good for outside the university too. If a great majority of movie critics call a movie great, then there's good probability that it is great. If a majority of them say a movie sucks, then it most likely sucks. It's the common population that spent millions of dollars on tripe like Vampire's Suck and Disaster Movie. I don't mean to sound snobbish, but most people don't know what a good movie is.

January 4, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  42. El 15 Hala Madrid

Tron Legacy was bomb. Anyone who didn't like that movie either didn't watch it or is an idiot and watched it in 3D. Pretty good for a Disney movie

January 4, 2011 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

Lol yeah right. If you liked Tron Legacy you are easily amused and have low standards. Learn a thing or two about what a great movie is, then maybe get some freaking taste while you're at it please.

January 4, 2011 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • keithmoore1

Tron Legacy failed in many ways, but it certainly wasn't Razzie quality.

January 5, 2011 at 1:50 am | Report abuse |
    • DanMan97

Oh, I don't know - I found Tron Legacy to be pretty entertaining. The key issue, in my opinion, is your expectations going in. Personally, when I entered the theater, I wasn't expecting high cinema - I was expecting a sci-fi plot (with holes) and strong special effects. In that respect, the film delivered. If you go in thinking it's going to rank up there with Macbeth, the problem isn't with the movie - it's with you.

January 5, 2011 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  43. Schmokey

While i haven't seen most of the noms for worst pic, the last airbender was disappointing crap, the expendables was overrated just by lookin at the cover of the dvd, and grown ups made my sister leave the room b4 it ended, made me fall asleep halfway thru, and made my mother want to go to bed!!!

January 4, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Crazy Waiter

Piranha 3D was actually suprisingly good if you like horror films and creature features. It even got a "Fresh" rating by the majority of critics on Rotten Tomatoes.

January 4, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  45. tooty

I dunno... was anyone expecting the women in Burlesque to deliver Meryl Streep caliber performances? OK, sure, it was campy and lightweight but the point was the bombastic show numbers, not the acting, and so (for me) it was not a trainwreck.

Where is "Legion" on this list? YOUR BABY'S GONNA BURRRN!!!

January 4, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Name*Tony

Tron Legacy was horrible.What a piece of trash.Please acknowledge this.

January 4, 2011 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  47. bookenz

The worst movie I almost finished watching was The Back Up Plan with Jennifer Lopez. Any movie that has a woman having a bm while giving birth to twins in a pool, deserves one big Razzie.

January 4, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  48. charlie

Skyline wasn't mentioned??? That thing went down faster than a fat lady on thin ice....

January 4, 2011 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

I agree! Not about the fat lady part, but Skyline was so aweful I walked out.

January 4, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

I agree about Skyline...so disappointed. And it was far worse than The Expendables and Killers.

January 5, 2011 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  49. William

I saw Burlesque and I loved it and if you look at any poll of movie goers you'll see that audiences gave it a very favorable rating. Box Office Mojo audience rating for Burlesque was an A-, Yahoo audience rating A-, even the Rotten Tomatoes audience rating was a B. So regardless of the critics, the audiences who saw the movie loved it.

January 4, 2011 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liz

I agree with you, William. I saw the movie twice and loved it. The second time is because I physically dragged my sisters into the theater because I knew they'd love it, too–and they did. It was a fun, uplifting movie with good music (and Cher! Stanley Tucci! Christina!). It was nice to go to the theater and just be taken away from my worries and entertained. I stopped caring years ago about what most critics think.

January 4, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • T McCarthy

I thought Burlesque was awesome...I recommended it to everyone and those that did go to see it love it...What do critics know anyway....anyone could be a critic, all they do is give their opinion of a movie and usually if they hate a movie I love it...

January 4, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steven

I'm right there with ya. If the critics hate it then I usually love it. Burlesque was great!!

January 4, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • velvethammer

I totally loved it too. The story was a little on the weak side, but the musical production numbers were totally awesome! Man, Christina Aguilera can belt out a song like no one else!

January 4, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tyler

"What do critics know anyway."
      Quite a bit, actually.
      I find it similar to people that dismiss the surgeon general's warning on a pack of cigarettes because so many people smoke.
      Just because a lot of people fail to recognize that something is terrible, that doesn't mean that that thing is good.

January 4, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

Burlesque had some great musical numbers which were performed wonderfully. However, this was not a Christina Aguillara concert, it was a movie and on THAT note, it sucked majorly. See Chicago, Hairspray or Moulin Rouge for reference of how a musical movie should be made. The only thing keeping me in that theatre was that I hoped it would redeem itself, but alas, I was disappointed. The audience was suckered in by the concert portion, the critics hated the movie part. Hence the divide.

January 4, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fred

Tyler, that is the worst analogy I've ever heard. Appreciation of a film is completely subjective. It doesn't matter what any so-called "expert" says - it's just their opinion and means no more than the opinion of any random person you pulled off the street. If a movie was objectively good or bad, all these professional critics would agree. They don't.

January 4, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • CriticCritic

@ Tyler
      "I'm fascinated by people that determine a movie's quality by "what the people think" and use that as an excuse to dismiss what trained professionals think."

You seem to be under the mistaken belief that movie critics are "trained profressionals" - at BEST, they are trained journalists (and that is by no means a requirement). The ONLY qualification to be a movie critic is an opinion, and from the reviews I read (and disagree with) the reviewers seem to me to generally be intellectual snobs in love with the idea that sheer entertainment has no value, when, in fact, that is EXACTLY what the movies are all about - ENTERTAINMENT!.

Burlesque was, IMNSHO, a delightful pure-entertainment movie that I thoroughly enjoyed and recommended highly to all my friends.

January 5, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Suz

I saw "Burlesque," too – and I thought it was dreadful, but maybe that's because I'm in the business (burlesque).

But for my money, the prize for the worst should definitely go to "Yogi Bear." Seriously – what dipstick in Hollywood thought, "gee, that would be box office gold!" I didn't even like the cartoon all that much when I was a kid.

January 5, 2011 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  50. Markster

You just gotta love the razzies and yes berlasque was trash

January 4, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  51. clare

SATC 2 DEFNITELY deserves Worst Picture – and I am a big fan of the series so I dont say that lightly.

January 4, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • SMZ87

I agree. I wish they wouldn't have made either movie. I feel like the movies tarnished the series.

January 4, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Superhiro

Hmm... only movie I saw on this list was Iron Man 2, and indeed Mickey Rourke was garbage in it. I almost can't believe anybody was stupid enough to watch these other movies.

January 4, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |