John Roberts leaving CNN
January 3rd, 2011

John Roberts leaving CNN

CNN anchor and correspondent John Roberts is leaving the network to join Fox News Network.

CNN confirmed his departure Monday. Roberts began serving as an anchor in 2007 and most recently anchored "American Morning" with Kiran Chetry.

"We thank John for his service," said a spokesperson for CNN.

At CNN, he served as senior national correspondent and anchor of "This Week at War", the network’s renowned weekly program which examined developments in the wars in Afghanistan, Iraq and around the globe.

Roberts will be based in Atlanta where he will serve as a national correspondent for Fox. He is engaged to CNN anchor Kyra Phillips and the couple is expecting twins.

Filed under: television

1. Toni Kushner

But - JD you are Canadian? A Canadian at Fox. Why they hate Canadians, and all other intelligent life. Guess you gotta support the babies.

January 5, 2012 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  2. bill

John's ego is big as the whold outside, I stopped watching CNN because of him, if he will take the wolf with him I'll be happy.

December 14, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. tiki886

John finally came to realize that the 'C' in CNN means "Commie".

March 2, 2011 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  4. DJ

John, please take Kiran and Brooke with you. They can't seem to say anything with any level of intelligence.

February 25, 2011 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  5. crystal waters

I will miss you John. I really enjoyed watching you in the morning. I just thought I had not seen you for a while so I googled to see what was on. Shocking! I read that you were gone.

February 25, 2011 at 9:33 am | Report abuse |
  6. roy smart

good luck john

February 25, 2011 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  7. Gloria Nixon-John

Oh no! I am so sorry to see John go. And, his replacements on early morning news...eeee Gads! Why is CNN dumbing down the quality of thier anchors? Those two should not ad lib., and when did "you guys" become a transition? I will miss you John, and I wish you were going to a network that I had the stomach to watch. I hope you reconsider.

February 21, 2011 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. So Many Smelly Butholes

LOL...CNN, PMSNBC are in the toilet while FOX blasts the numbers. HA...all you phucking losers can stay with Analugulus Cooper and his band of idiots at CNN...LOSERS everyone of ya.

February 21, 2011 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  9. barbara

I hate Fox News but will follow John RRoberts, He was very much on top of things,his coanchor really doesn't have it. I really do not like the young gentleman they have taking Johns place. I do not think cnn is too smart. It was bad enough to fire Rick now this. Bye Cnn.

February 21, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  10. Frank

John Roberts is an egotistical windbag. Every damn story had something to do with his life or he had an experience exactly like it. Was sick of hearing about him and his life during every news story. Just report the news, I don't care about your life experiences, it's of no importance to anyone but you. Should be LESSON #1 in Journalism school. If you want to brag about your life constantly join a talk show like Oprah or Regus.

February 12, 2011 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
  11. Big Al

I wondered how much FOX is paying him?

February 7, 2011 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  12. LAHs

Oh gosh, say it ain't so.
    I heard John was going to Atlanta but I thought he would somehow do his show from Atlanta. I have liked John since he was Dan Rather's right hand man. But why Fox? What bothers me is that, with the exception of Christianne Annampour (sp) once a CNN reporter jumps to another channel, we never see them again.
    Good luck to John (and Kyra) I will miss him very much.

February 5, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  13. rdonl

John,
    You made a good move. Welcome to the right side.

February 3, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Robert Hamilton

I don't watch Fox News......Fox of all places ugh........

February 3, 2011 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
  15. Phil, Ohio

I wonder if he was forced to leave CNN after his slip-up of the F-word twice on the morning of June 19th, 2009 Between 7:20 & 7:22 that morning, the CNN reporter (John Roberts, anchor on American Morning) may have not known his mic was open?

February 2, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Emilie

I am really sorry to see John go. I thought he did a fine job & I will miss him & I truly hate it that he went to Fox News...can't stand them. Hopefully CNN will wake up soon before they lose all of the great talent they have. I don't know what the problems are there but there must be something...too many good people getting the axe for stupid reasons or else just leaving. I wish John luck...I won't be seeing him again either because like Max, I don't watch Fox. Best of luck to John & Kyra.

February 1, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  17. alpha_o_omega

John is a good man and if he decides to move on then we should respect his decision and wish him well lead with your spirit and not your mind less you be consumed with chaos.

January 27, 2011 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  18. Max

I am disappointed in CNN, they should have allowed him to truly do his job. They lose. John is a professional jouralist. Unfortunaley I'll never see him again as Fox is not fair and balanced. I wish him luck.
    Wonder what happens to his relationship with Kyra, can they deal with the differences.

January 24, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Bill

Was a former fan.I can,t believe he,s gone with the"propaganda network".They are total bottum feeders on fox.

January 21, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  20. steve sutherland

steve sutherland John surely realizes he has joined Fox Media, for there is really no such thing as a Fox News. Don't forget to turn in your journalist card at the door, John.

January 21, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  21. Cathy

Headline should have read: "Roberts retires from newsreporting" since Fox is really more into cheerleading, innuendo, and fantasy reporting than it is into newsreporting. I feel bad because I think Roberts is a good reporter. I hope the 30 pieces of silver he got helps make up for giving up his values.

January 17, 2011 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  22. Steve Hacker

I have only high regard for John. I will miss watching him on CNN. Perhaps he can bring over some fairness and balance to Fox that they so sorely need. Be who you are John. Don't let them take that away from you when you sign on there.

January 17, 2011 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Brian Christian

Am watching John Roberts reporting from tornado-blasted Alabama.(Didn't know he'd left CNN; NBA playoffs have stolen my attention from AM news.) I really thought he would have been a good fit 4 CBS evening news. Back to his reporting on-air @F0X: This guy is really good, brings incredible creedence & journalistic presence with his reporting(,desk&field.)If you had just watched him on TV like me,.one might have found themselves tryin' to conjure what the hell channel was on?! I saw empathy, without crying; precise/incisive reporting & no hype. He had on camera, a black lady telling her story & at the end of the segment, puts his arm around her trying to give her a feeling of hope.(My opinion & I've not seen something like that before; doesn't mean it hasn't been done, just never witnessed it.) Brian Christian, San Antonio, TX.

April 30, 2011 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Ken

No doubt Kyra didn't want to move to NY or CNN wouldn't have a position there. So John had to be the one to move and the network wouldn't play ball with that. You know-not having spouses in the same location?

Maybe CNN wanted him gone because Kyra being knocked up didn't fit its image LOL. Could she be next?

January 14, 2011 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  24. Mary

Sad to hear! He is very capable., a good interviewer, and handsome to boot. I always wondered why CNN did not use him more often during the evening news, and for various specials. He does a good job and I like him.

Since FOX does not appeal to me, I must say. Good bye John.

Mary

January 14, 2011 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  25. Karin Wrampe

I am sorry to hear thar John Roberts moved to Fox. I still would not watch Fox

January 14, 2011 at 6:13 am | Report abuse |
  26. Cooper

Did you guys even think that his fiance lives in Atlanta. CNN had him doing the American morning show in New York. Ill bet CNN wasn’t willing to move him to Atlanta and he went looking. When you have twins on the way it will change your perspective on whats important. Ill bet Fox news offered close to the same money and based him in Atlanta. Now he can be a family man and a entertainer for fox. And for the guy that says fox has more viewers not world wide...

January 13, 2011 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  27. Mimi

Talk about blind, you refer to Fox news as one sided and hate speech. Yet you refer to the viewers as nazis, low IQ, and bias. You turn on your own at a split second because he makes a career change. Where is your own loyalty?

January 12, 2011 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  28. harristine white

john roberts was so biased on cnn I could not bear to watch anymore when he was on the air...I hope he finds some integrity to to bring to the table wherever he goes...he didn't seem to be interested in anything but presenting his view...not the truth of the news...he was so sad and obvious...perhaps he does belong with someone like-minded as fox news.

January 11, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  29. BABS

WELL MY GOODNESS JOHN, I NEVER CONSIDERED YOU A LOOSER TILL NOW...FOX....OF ALL PLACES....

January 11, 2011 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  30. Jeff Haley

Look at all the liberal crybabies in this thread! Face it, you Godless, moral-less losers, America rejects your lies, hate and hypocrisy. Enjoy the last two years of your Marxist Messiah in the White House! They will be your last. lmao

January 10, 2011 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • m

you have just described yourself and all the other haters like you, looking forward to 2012

January 13, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  31. ProgRockFan

Being a Canadian, I have always followed Roberts' career, right from his beginnings with CHUM Radio in Toronto and as VJ with MuchMusic (along with fellow VJ's Christopher Ward and Michael Williams). During that early period, Roberts seemed to be the most popular personality and seemed to generate the high ratings for CHUM and City-TV (who owns everything Roberts was involved with in Toronto). I honestly believe that MuchMusic went straight downhill and has never been the same since Roberts left them. He was such a great entertainer as well as interviewer. He really knew his material well. I don't know if Roberts' departure from CNN will have any impact on their ratings, but he likely will be missed to some degree. I've always hoped that Roberts would return to doing entertainment and music journalism, since that was the area he seemed to excel at best. MuchMusic and J. D. Roberts will always be synonymous in my mind!

January 9, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Thomas Tukacs

I understand the motivation for making more money but your switching for FOX means you have ZERO integrity. All your words and good performance on CNN HAS BEEN ANNULLED by this. Shame.
    And if CNN forces people out, as they did with the greatest Aaron Brown and Paula Zahn, then shame on CNN, too. A little more and I won't even want to see you on my screen.

January 5, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Aaron

There seems to be a mass exodus after Dobbs left. If this keeps up, I won't reckognize anyone on my favorite news channel. Does anyone know the REAL reason that everyone with any degree of talent is taking off in huge numbrrs?

January 5, 2011 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Greig

Yea, I noticed the exodus too........it seems that you have to 'conform' to the script or you will get booted....like Juan Williams and Dobbs. It is obvious that Fox does represent both sides better than the others. Some of the 'talking heards' like Beck and Hannity take it bit far, but then, you do have the remote! I listened to AirAmerica and now, MSNBC, but most of this was filled with hate and vitreol.........not much value. Fox will get more interesting with the good pickings from the other networks.

May 3, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  34. RickDRO

I got to listen to John Roberts ar my daughters college graduation from CU Boulder last year. He sounded intellegent and seemed to have terrific insight. I now must ask my daughter to please ignore everything he had to say. He obviously is not what he appeared to be.

January 4, 2011 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  35. Carol

I remember John from his Much Music days in Toronto.

January 4, 2011 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  36. michaelfury

January 4, 2011 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  37. alan robertson

Have to laugh again at the libs comments. Guess you missed last years election results concerning United States citizens invoking our country.

January 4, 2011 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
  38. Je2643

Although all the comments are about him going for the money, and that was a part of it, what I am hearing is they offered him good money because he is well respected in the industry, and they want to bring him to the Fox Network to bring up the quality of their news, which of course is really suffering in its reputation. They have got the marketshare due to their antics (step 1) now time to move the quality up to gain respectability, thats the gameplan.

January 3, 2011 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • toots

Fox must be doing something right, for they beat ALL the cable news networks, hands down for the number 1 spot in all the polls. Good luck to John Roberts for his decision to go with a winner...!

January 10, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Phil

Wow. I didn't even know Julia Roberts worked for CNN. I thought she just did movies. But judging from her photo above, it's clear her glory days are behind her. Frankly, she looks like a man now! She sure was good in Pretty Woman, wasn't she?

January 3, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  40. unitwan

nooo

January 3, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Worm

It don't make no difference. All them national news media outfits - CNN, Fox, MSNBC - are the same. Low budget, superficial, celebrity over substance. That's why even though I don't always agree with the BBC or the NYT that;s where I go to find out what;s really going on in this world. It certainly ain;t CNN!!!!

January 3, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  42. laura from willis

Hopefully, John will have some pull @ Fox soon, and recruit Brooke Baldwin and Tony Harris to join him.
    CNN would be the better for it.
    They all belong to the same kind of Journalism. What I mean is all 3 are the farthest from Journalists, that I've I've seen in my 60 + years.

January 3, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Clyde

Good riddance to this right wing Nazi pig.

January 3, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  44. orpheus

There is no loyalty any more just show me the money just ask Jason Werth!

January 3, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  45. sara

Been saying CNN is in the tank for Fox News and the Republicans...Murdock bought CNN....every headline that CNN talks is bashing the President. Been saying this for months, matter of fact, they don't let you comment anymore against those "headlines"

January 3, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Karl

Really? This is one of the most disappointing things I've heard in a long time....He was one of my favorite hosts on CNN. It does look like CNN couldn't/wouldn't accommodate him moving to Atlanta so I'm going to hope for the best and maybe he can be the one small glimmer of good coming out of fox news....

January 3, 2011 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  47. don garrow

Must not really care that much for his career. Taking a step backwards, into the land of incredibility.

Don

January 3, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  48. DJ

Didn't anyone read the whole article? He's engaged to CNN anchor Kyra Phillips and they're expecting twins! News to me as a faithful CNN watcher, but my guess is he likely wanted to move to Atlanta to start his new family.. Sadly, it's more likely the case that CNN couldn't/wouldn't help John find an alternative job at the company here in Atlanta and just let him go to FOX. I appreciate his sacrifice (really, FOX?) so he can live/work where he wants. Good luck, John.

January 3, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • nora

Thank you DJ. At least you get it. He Had to move to Atlanta to be with Kira, he's gonna be a new dad! He probably had to take what he could.

February 6, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • mickey elliott

Living with Kyra, having twins. Good Lord what is the Fox Net. and the conservies going to do next..LOL They amaze with the forked tongue. Guess it is another example of .. Don't do as I do... do as I say.

March 17, 2011 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Leila

Very daddened by his departure. Leaving an well qualified news organization which holds accountability in reporting to a "judgement" based organization. Can only wish him the best, but will certainly not follow.

January 3, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Kathy

Sorry to hear John has moved to the dark side. I always enjoyed him.

January 3, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  51. J

Muchmusic VJ JD Roberts, going to the darkside. Tsk, tsk.

January 3, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Carol in Arizona

I used to love watching JD Roberts in Canada on the muchmusic station. Maybe he should go back there and see if he can remember what being a human being was all about. He seemed to have had it all together with his stint on CNN but obviously $ got in the way. What a pity!

January 3, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  53. mhub

The man is very good at what he does. I still remember his beginnings in Toronto on the new music. Why do people always want to make less of someone through their comments. Movement is growth and I am sure he has his reasons.

January 3, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  54. craig

Nice to see someone else deciding that the liberal media needs some balance by going to Fox. If it was not for Fox, we would only have one side of the news, the liberal side....Good luck John.

January 3, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

If you consider The National Enquirer TV: Fox News, as a balancing source of information....

January 3, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Alex Santana

OMG...I had just taken CNN off my cable system because I was only going to watch MSNBC from now on due to the fact that CNN had just crashed and burned...why? Well, pairing Kathy Griffin with Anderson Cooper for New Year's Eve; that moron Peirs Morgan taking over LKL, Kyra Phillips and her silly laughing her way through the news that is serious, RIck Sanchez getting bounced for his comments (First Amendment??) and now this...CNN is self destructing for sure. But for John Roberts to waste his talents at FOX is ridiculous...maybe he misses his "BF" Bill Hemmer?? Sad...day..

January 3, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  56. boocat

There are more accurate stories on the Cartoon Network then Fox....Wiley Coyote rocks!

January 3, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • mickey elliott

I am not here to bash anyone. That is the Fox Networks gig. If you have ever listened to what they are saying then you will know that the people on Fox whom are pulling the ratings are not the news people. IT is the commentators that are bringing them in. BY Glen Becks own admission he is not on the air to tell the truth.. HE is on the air to give his opinion and convience you that he knows what he is talking about.And that is exactly what you get when you watch him or Sarah. But as we know for a fact, opinions are like tongues.. Everyone has one. The ones that think that he is being truthful are the ones with his same thinking.. Most of the world watch Fox just for the shock factor and nothing else.

March 17, 2011 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  57. lol

"Roberts came to CNN after 14 years 14 years with CBS News, during which time he served as its chief White House correspondent and chief medical correspondent, anchor of the weekend editions of the CBS Evening News and anchor of the CBS Morning News."

I suppose this is how CNN truly feels about his departure. The writer must have either dozed off while writing this paragraph or just didn't care.

January 3, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Andrea Kelly

He was at best poor. They deserve him.

January 3, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alice Elder

Wow! Well, he struck me as a conceited soul and got worse after being at CNN for a number of years. First he bragged about his family, then started looking more and more haggard. He looked like there was something going on when his complexion got pasty and he acted sullen. He started to look like he was on the fast track to an old man. Karen and anchor X will be 100 times better for American Morning. It can't get any worse than when JR was co-hosting. He was more gone than there anyway. TJ Holmes and the other anchors have made the morning news much better, more alive with Karen.

January 14, 2011 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  59. Jimbo

I guess he needs to get his hair done like the rest of the fox news cast BLONDE! Maybe he can fake his IQ and act like the rest of the "Blondes?"

January 3, 2011 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  60. norma

sad, so sad..how can u go to that horrid place where they spit hate and venum 24/7.
    really thougth highly of u..or maybe u will have dignity to bring some good to that Fox News disgraceful place

January 3, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ellsworthey

you don't actually watch Fox do you. Your comments completely give this fact away. You read or heard a bunch of crap somewhere else and now you are repeating it as blindly as a parrot.

February 26, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Perry

What is up with John Robert's face? Got a little carried away with the plastic surgery. Looks lie he is looking in to a wind tunnel.

January 3, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Moby

One word, MONEY!

January 3, 2011 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Jon

Maybe he decided to work for a network that people watch.

January 3, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimbo

LOL.. yeah cause Fox News is really news! NOT! They are a bunch of repugicants! They should try doing some research before they air their brand of entertainment...

January 3, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Liz

Why on earth would he stay? CNN's ratings are in the crapper, and keep getting worse.

January 3, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Rick

So many people leave CNN for fox ..... Bill hemmer .... Now John Roberts ...... Hopefully CNN and msnbc are taking note

January 3, 2011 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jimbo

Yeah he rather be an entertainer than a jornalist! lol! All Fox News does is bash Obama but never reports all the good he has done. They are TOTALLY not fair or balanced.

January 3, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rob

Money. Pure and simple. Journalists today are in it for the green, and Fox pays a lot more than any of the other networks.

January 3, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rick

Fox gets more viewers .... Which means that advertisers are willing to pay more to the network .... Which means more to pay the journalist. So in all honesty .... It is us that watch fox that allowed for this move to happen

January 3, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Yeah...which is why I'll be watching Fox now. John was the best reporter CNN had since Bernie Shaw...he never tried to be cute or funny or pull focus like most of the folks who anchor. Good move, John! I'm going with you!

February 4, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Superhiro

I guess he'd rather work for a news outlet where you don't have to do any actual journalism.

January 3, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  67. cheefsfury

THATS LIKE LEAVING PETA (PEOPLE FOR ETHICTAL TREATMENT OF ALL PEOPLE) TO JOIN THE KKK

January 3, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • lillymckim

@cheefsfury

haters

January 4, 2011 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
    • tom

to liilmckim....it's ironic how the teabaggers and moral christian right-wing republican hypocrites are coining the word 'haters' so freely when it's been clear to anyone with an ears or eyes that your party and liberal bashers have been spewing the 'hate' for years against Clinton/Obama/Pelosi and anything/anyone who disagrees with you. You are the champion haters.

January 4, 2011 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
    • rs425

Tom, quit using derogatory nicknames for tea party members....You're being a hater.. Isn't THAT ironic?

January 4, 2011 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
    • newscat

It was clear John was unhappy at CNN and looking to get out for awhile. Maybe it has something to do with the show focusing on developing Kiran who clearly is limited but provides great eye candy.

She is so pleased to be the focal point of the show it is sickening. There is no way she can carry it off. Now they are pairing her with TJ Holmes. Let's see how long he can deal with her especially since she clearly thinks its her show.

January 15, 2011 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |