More drama at 'Spider-Man' musical
December 31st, 2010

More drama at 'Spider-Man' musical

The behind-the-scenes drama at the "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" musical continues to hold more twists and turns than the actual plot of the Broadway show.

Rick Miramontez, a spokesman for the $65 million production, confirms to CNN that actress Natalie Mendoza, who played villainous Arachne, has officially dropped out after suffering a concussion during a performance last month. Her replacement will be announced next week.

"It has been a difficult decision to make, but I regret that I am unable to continue on 'Spider-Man' as I recover from my injury," Mendoza said in a statement. "I wish Julie [Taymor, the director] and the cast and crew every success with this production.”

Not surprisingly, the troubled show - which has made headlines for its injury-inducing stunts and confusing storyline - is doing everything possible to work out the kinks before its February 7 opening. That includes bringing in U2 members Bono and the Edge, who wrote the musical's score, to help make additional changes.

“Julie and Bono and Edge... will be in the theater next week and for all of the preview performances leading up to the opening night, working on the show,” Miramontez tells Entertainment Weekly.

Despite all the controversy - and a December 20 accident that resulted in stunt actor Christopher Tierney being hospitalized and several shows being canceled - the cast remains upbeat.

"I think they were extremely proud to have given the performance they did when they came back last Thursday," Miramontez tells EW. "If anything, this has created a [sense of] solidarity.”

Post by:
Filed under: theater

1. Fidel Esquerra

Wonderful issues?I will observe that as someone who in truth does not prepare upon blogs and forums a good deal (basically, this really is this initial publish), I wouldn't imagine that the stretch of time lurker' can be quite starting to be to some nonposting readership. It is not longer an individual's wrong doing in any way level , on the other hand most likely the blogosphere may possibly think up a increased, noncreepy subject to your 90% of people that experience reading this content substance .

September 9, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Victor

I just hope this flop doesn't damage the reboot of the film franchise.

The executive at Marvel Entertainment that allowed this travesty to occur should be fired immediately. A Spidey musical???? Really????

Who's next? Wolverine?!?!?!

January 5, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Diane

My family attended the 2Pm show on the 29th and not a seat was empty. It was amazing. The actors put their heart, soul and energy into the performance. The music was up beat and catchy. The set design and lighting was very appealing to the eye. It totally impressed my 26 year old son, and his wife. It captured the attention of my 17 year old daughter and her boy friend. I cannot think of any musical that I have seen which can compare to this experience. It is more technical so diligence on the part of the cast and support team is of importance. See it. totally worth the effort.

January 1, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sara

Thanks for the good review. Nice to hear from someone who experienced this show and shared a positive experience.
      Thanks Again!

January 2, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dan

I would be shocked if this show lasts more than 1 month.

January 1, 2011 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  5. britneywaldron

why don't they shut it down!!! epic fail!

January 1, 2011 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Loki_ATL

Methinks the theater gods are trying to tell these people something... Spiderman is not meant to be a musical... Don't ruin Broadway!

January 1, 2011 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  7. MissMatched

...need TO turn it off, my bad, a typo.

December 31, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheefsfury

LOL I NEED TO LEARN TO SPELL BUT YET YOURE SO STUPID YOU PUT "you're username " AS IN YOU ARE USERNAME

January 3, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. MissMatched

Cheefsfury, you need ti turn you cap lock off, and learn how to spell. I know you can turn your cap lock on and off; you're username is in lower case.

What do they expect? They're trying to make a musical out of SPIDERMAN, for crying out loud. This show seems to be jinxed. They should close it before someone gets killed!

December 31, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Superhiro

Umm... excuse me? Arachne? Am I the only Spider-Man fan who's never heard of this villain before?

December 31, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |