Rupert Everett: My career tanked after I came out
December 30th, 2010

Rupert Everett: My career tanked after I came out

Hot on the heels of Richard Chamberlain advising gay actors to stay closeted comes Rupert Everett's claim that Hollywood stopped hiring him after he came out.

In an interview with the BBC's Radio 4, the 51-year-old British actor says that his once-hot career was nearly killed after he went public with his homosexuality 20 years ago.

"I just never got a job there [in Hollywood], and I never got a job here, after [coming out]," he says. "I did a couple of films, I was very lucky at the beginning of my career... and then, I never had another job here for ten years probably and I moved to Europe."

Calling Hollywood "an extremely conservative world" that "pretends to be a liberal world," Everett says the industry looks after heterosexual stars, even if their films are bad for box office - and he means you, Jennifer Aniston.

"There are lots of women and lots of men in the business that the powers that be decide are the right people and they'll stand with them for quite a long time," he explains.

"Like Jennifer Aniston will just have one too many total flops. But she's still a member of that club. And she will still manage to, like a star forming in the universe, a whole lot of things will swirl around and suddenly solidify into yet another vital tasteless romcom, a little glitter next to the Crab Nebula."

1. Sue

He will not be gay with ole madge......he's a yummers.

September 24, 2013 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. Three Floor Dress For Sale

For the full waisted, apple shaped gal, there's a ton of dresses that will commendation word|compliment} your luxurious shape|conformation|configuration|tournure|figure}. Globule middle part gowns with princess seaming pull along the eye downwards, slimming your shape. shop for dresses in A-streak shapes. Go out of order with accessories to irradiate up your facial features. Sparkly fashion bijoutry or hairpieces will do the dodge! Hairstyles can be formal and should add some elevation. Opt for elevated|high-reaching|heaven-kissing|high} buns or unbind, upswept tendril styles.
    Three Floor Dress For Sale http://kykmbts.weebly.com/2/post/2013/09/three-floor-dress-for-sale-your-dresses.html

September 24, 2013 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
  3. clothes but it rubbed uncomfortably

You bear all these Quinceaneras Outfits void of decorations in addition on every of the express parties at the same duration look the top prodigious particular somebody soon there. Which satin and then yarn generated dress will be also the chief with an lucky vigorous so that you can originate somebody look that concerns sensible objects or impressions derived from the senses effectively. Stretch prom dresses are probably your own uncomplicated pull along near|pull nigh|come near|be at palm and fingers|approach} out and about. At economical rates, you can get one scale on Way prom outfits from where you are able to opt for you coupled with ones choice. Of course, pungent or sharp pain finding is actually nearly all which anyone must derive on this pace.
    clothes but it rubbed uncomfortably http://fghljdklfjdsklfj.blog.com/2013/09/12/emilio-pucci-tote-sale/

September 21, 2013 at 12:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. anon55

He has a very good point. Hollywood pretends to be liberal, artistic, and provide critical thinking on society. While there are some such good movies that make people think, the truth is that Hollywood has become as capitalist and big business as it gets. Even self proclaimed liberals like Jane Fonda just can't resist the temptation of doing cosmetic commercials (L'Oreal in her case). Stars are all over the magazines, TV, and commercials these days. Even actors that are at the pinnacle of their careers, earning millions per year do commercials these days (e.g. Kate Winslet, Scarlet Johansson, Charlize Theron, ... the list is just too long – almost everyone is doing it these days). I'm not even counting bimbos such as Jennifer Aniston – with all the millions does she really need a perfume? The hypocrisy is that they think they're liberals, but they're as greedy as the greediest capitalists when it comes to their own self-serving ways. Few are the ones that walk the talk such as Meryl Streep, Robert Redford, Sean Penn, Annette Bening, etc. They all complain about us being a "star obsessed society" but they're the most active participants in creating the biggest marketing bonanza in recent memory. We are just victims of their greedy and manipulating ways.

December 31, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. PippiLives

Rupert Everett is a whiny a$$ little 15YO girl crying because her BFF "stole" her boyfriend. I am no fan of Jennifer Aniston, and in fact I think he is 100% spot on about her acting, but she obviously has something he doesn't, and that is probably that she is in real life a nice person who people like. Reading Leah's post just confirms that Everett is probably a Class A Jerk, and being a Class A Jerk will not endear you to the people who pass out the roles.

December 31, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Leah

No Rupert, your career tanked because you are an @ss. You probably don't remember me, but I waited on you in a restaurant in NYC about 15 years ago. After going out of my way for you, having to jump whenever you snapped your fingers at me just because you thought you were somebody great, you said to me "here's a tip, I don't give tips so your evening was a waste." To top it off, a few years later my catering company did a party for a friend of yours at Chelsea Piers. You yelled at our coat-check girl for not remembering your coat by sight, since you lost your ticket. Your description was "it's an f-ing black leather coat, how difficult is that?". Quite difficult considering there were over 500 guests, many of which checked black leather coats. Maybe you shouldn't have gotten so wasted and lost your ticket. Or maybe, you should just stop being a jerk altogether. The world is better off without seeing your nasty face on screen.

December 31, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Carol

I'm not feeling bad for you Rupert. You showed your true self a long time ago and basically as a human being you pretty much fail.

December 31, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  8. suzi starz n peace

i bet you most of those so called ultraconservatives running the show r gay themselves but they been hiding out 4 so long behind their money bags they dont want anyone to catch on so they push hetero movies where the actors are actually gay playing straight. It's been going on for so long. Plus just look at the plots of these movies where the homely boy gets the cute girl or two dudes always hanging out with the girl. These movies r all geared to undergound gay activity or to pushing low man's agenda. At least brokeback mountain was straight up no BS. 2 1/2 men got not much straight about it. Same with how i met your mother and glee. Those r tv shows but most movies got at least gay male leading actors i think. That's how these guys made it to big screen cuz they put on an act like they straight everyday in real life. I still say oprah is gay too. I like oprah but wish she could b real cuz she influences so many.

December 31, 2010 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  9. Nancy

I do agree that hollywood tends to crank out crappy films with the same big name actors and actresses. I saw the cartoon kids movie, Tangled, last night, and I'd have to say, that was the best movie I've seen in a while. I almost prefer kids movies now than adult "comedys" like the little fockers, that aren't the least bit clever or funny.

December 31, 2010 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
  10. suzi starz n peace

rupert everett? Who is that? His story isnt the same as every other gay who has come out. Many celebs doing quite well for themselves and not afraid to show their true colors. If u gotta hide who u really r just to be an actor then u should really question the integrity of the acting biz–and i am not talking about changing character for a role but rather denying your true self cuz u think it will make u more $– unless u gonna do underground fundraising or something.

December 30, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  11. TJ

Stand in line Rubert. Try being a black leading actor. Besides, Denzel Washington and Blair Underwood, name 2 black leading male actors. Black actors have it harder.

December 30, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • verbal

Will Smith, Morgan Freeman, Samuel Jackson, Sidney Pottier, and give me half a point for The Rock. don't whine.

December 31, 2010 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
    • zombietime

Morgan Freeman, Laurence Fishburne, Samuel Jackson, Cuba Gooding, Martin Laurence, I don't like Chris rock...but yet another actor as the ones that I mentioned will sell movies, and they usually get a leading role, a few more for ya, Jamie fox, Chris tucker, James earl Jones, Wesley snipes, Danny Glover, Will Smith, Ving Rhames, Omar Epps, mario Van Peebles, Louis Gosset Jr, and one I like a lot forest Whitaker, there are many more great black actors out there from the past....like Sidney Poitier....shal I continue?

December 31, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. MIKE

Was Jennifer Aniston Can't act. But you cant bounce a quater off that A**... And to me that's worth $9.50

December 30, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  13. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk3yTXFkyiY&w=640&h=390]

December 30, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. babycelebs411

I don't see a reason why he needs to bring Jennifer Aniston in his messy career. Her movies are not worth seeing really, especially the latest ones, by any means..but blamming someone for your career flops is not the way to go. Maybe this is just another publicity stunt....good or bad is still publicity and reminded us that he exists. In the meanwhile check out our predictions on Jennifer Aniston, her marriage with Brad Pitt and what's in the future for her:http://celebs911.com/2010/12/01/why-jennifer-aniston-is-not-married-we-know/. xoxo

December 30, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Rory

Is it just me or is Rupert's forehead huge?

December 30, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

That's your comment? That's the best you can do; criticize some dude's forehead? Sad, sad little Rory.

December 31, 2010 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  16. Flshstar

Another bad actor whose career tanked 20 years ago and now playing the blamimg game. What a total loser!

December 30, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mrs. F

Half the people in hollywood and in the music industry are gay,or on the downlow. You see how Carrie Fisher busted John Travolta out. They are all nasty (alot of them) I bet disease just grows in hollywood. NASTY.

December 30, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Maggie

Is he saying that Jennifer Anniston is keeping gay actresses from getting acting jobs? If so, he should tell us who she is displacing. If not, leave her out of it. Whether you like Anniston or not (I'm not particularly a fan myself), Hollywood obviously likes her as an actress, otherwise she would not continue to star in movies. You have to be as famous as Julia Roberts to keep getting starring roles when you have no talent (at least Anniston is way more attractive than Roberts).

That being said, this article completely left out his insults about "Importance of Being Earnest" costar Colin Firth.

December 30, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  19. sinicalgrl

Wow, bitter much Rupert? I have actually been a fan of yours and you had my empathy until you felt the need to dump on someone I am feeling confident has never said a bad thing about you in public – she's just minding her own business, trying to live her life and do good work in the face of pretty pitiful scripts that are running rampant around Hollywood these days. It's a shame that you couldn't make a statement that might have started a meaningful and valid dialogue instead of turning it into a opportunity to bash someone. Seriously bad taste.

December 30, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  20. anne82958

There is nothing wrong with his acting. It is his personality. He is so nasty and mean to everyone. He makes vile comments about people especially co stars who befriend him. No one would want to work with him. He used to be good looking. Now he is just scary looking.

December 30, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  21. boocat

Maybe his career tanked because he just isn't that good an actor.

December 30, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Really dude?

Maybe it was all the plastic surgery– he really looked terrible after his numerous implants, tightening and shots.

December 30, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Name

Seriously, CNN is far too focussed on the gays. CNN needs to focus their show and writing on the larger percentage of the population of straights then their ratings would be better. They spend too much time on gay issues and making the shows gay friendly. Stop it and your ratings will go up. Why expend any energy on 1% of the population and forget the 99% you could be doing shows, writing articles and informing. Wake up CNN before your ratings go further down the toilet.

December 30, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

sounds like you are a little too concerned with the "gays." Me thinks thou protest too much. Come out, come out, wherever you are ...

December 30, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ariel

Yes,your response to this matter is exactly what Ruppert means, Holliwood reflects the society it represents, which is the Amercan Society. Pretending to be open minded, progressive thinkers, pro-human rights, equality, but in many issues still a very close, conservative society and with a large population of Ultra-conservatives that are increasing their influences in all apects of life, specially after what happened in Washington in 2008! The reactions of this people are so obvious and their intentions too...They probably call it the Tea Palling,,,ooops, Holliwood Tea Party Revolution!!! No gays, No hispanics, unless they are servants, or the villains of the movies,,, have to admit that the blacks made great advances in Holliwood in the past few decades,, because their own efforts and histrionical talents can't be surpass by anyone.

December 30, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Tmac

Why rip JA? Lashing out against someone that did nothing to you seems childish.

December 30, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Elizabeth

What he said is soooo true. He was very hot/popular after he did "My Best Friend's Wedding" but after that he was barely seen. He was really wonderful in that film too. He also has a point about Jennifer Aniston. Her agent must work his/her butt off cause her movies are quite the joke. I would never ever pay $10 to see a film of hers...and I liked her on friends. She just doesn't project that "IT" factor on the big screen and her ticket sales have proven that...And NO "Bruce Almighty" doesn't count! lol

December 30, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • boocat

Name three notable movies this guy was in....and not the one you mention....it was a bomb.

December 30, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • MadCityBabe

I have to agree with you.. I loved JA on Friends; however, when I saw her on the big screen, for me it just didnt translate well...........probably the stupid movie choices she makes or her agents make for her.................

December 30, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brotherboy

OK, speaking as gay man, over 50, with no dog in this race, let's review: Like her or not (and I do), think she's the greatest actress, or not (and I don't), Jennifer Aniston is one savvy puppy, with a great team around her. She has taken herself from a huge success on television and come out as huge success in movies. That, alone, is VERY difficult to do. I say "you go, girl". And she is.

December 30, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  26. NettieD

Jeez Rupert, bitter aren't we?

December 30, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • CBZ

no doubt!!! The "scene" 20 years ago for gay actors was so different than it is now. There are way more out gay actors now than there were then. Rupert – stop being so bitter and embrace your diversity – you were the trailblazer that got these people to speak their mind and tell the world – "who cares if I'm gay? I'm a good actor and you should embrace me for my talent."

December 30, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Connie

I guess it never crossed his mind that his acting isn't that great.

December 30, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • courtiebabe

I have to disagree with you, he is very talented and quite attractive. I've often wondered what became of him and unfortunately what Richard Chamberlain said is true, just look at the facts. Jennifer Aniston still gets a shot without the box office to back it up, and I don't dislike her, it is just a fact.

December 30, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • eldono

The one thing mentioned that is very true is that Hollywood is very conservative. Its run by a bunch of very conservative old guys. That's one of the reasons Avatar got only 3 oscars. The actors and actresses might talk like they are left leaning, but they don't run the show.

December 30, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

And Jennifer Aniston is a great actor? Give me a break.He does make some sense. Look at how much work she gets even though all her movies tank and she's an awful actress. I can't remember the last time one of her movies made money...

December 30, 2010 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Connie, I guess it never crossed your mind that your evaluation of his acting talents sucks.

December 31, 2010 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |