DMX moved to mental health unit
December 30th, 2010

DMX moved to mental health unit

It has not been a happy holiday season for rapper DMX.

On December 16, the 40 year-old multi-platinum rap star born Earl Simmons, was sentenced to a year in jail at the Arizona State Prison Complex. CNN has confirmed that four days later DMX was admitted to the Flamenco Mental Health unit for an undisclosed disorder.

Billboard.com notes that over the span of his career, DMX has been arrested 25 times with 11 felony convictions. His latest stint behind bars stems from his violating the terms of his probation on an aggravated assault charge.

At the sentencing Judge Christine Mulleneaux told the troubled artist that he believes he has “an undisclosed mental condition,” which some reports are calling bi-polar disorder.

According to the Phoenix New Times, DMX can’t have any visitors for 30 days. For DMX, this appears to be another sad chapter in arguably one of the biggest falls from grace by an artist in hip-hop.

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. Shanny

I love DMX and always will. I feel that instead of passing judgement, ppl should pray for him. No one is perfect; therefore who are we to judge this man. He is a human being just like us regardless of his fame. I think its time we start cleaning the streaks in our mirror before talking about the next person....toodles

May 24, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. tayrtr tetr

free dmx!!!!

innocent

framed

March 16, 2011 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  3. D

haha! I guess he did loose his mind up in there...

December 31, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Superhiro

I think I remember reading somewhere that he was actually a homeless crackhead BEFORE he became famous. Not trying to put him down, I just remember having heard that somewhere. So to me, it makes sense that he would eventually crack. He's been living a crazy lifestyle for a while now I'm sure.

December 31, 2010 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. suzi starz n peace

maybe dmx had depression which led to drugs which led to crazy mood swings and ups when high and downs when not druggin so now he thinks with his brain that's prob only half left that he has bipolar disorder and needs more meds. They gotta get at root of his depression which could be childhood issues or maybe he closeted gay or maybe too much life of crime got him feelin low all the time. Good luck to him and all in same situation. Help him save himself. Peace

December 31, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  6. FrankSinatra

Its sad that an artist who rose to stardom like DMX could fall from grace to the level of becoming a nut case.
    I believe he didn't do some things right and was likely exposed to drugs and all that.
    I do hope he gets better soon and returns to the stage where he belongs. Ruff ryder for life!!!

December 31, 2010 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  7. Honest73

What did you do?

December 31, 2010 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. Sen

He was probably moved because he can not handle the harsh realities of jail. Some of these men want to be thugs & then when they caught up & thrown in jail (which is not like prison –which is worse) they cry "mental issues). Hope everthing works out - DMX needs a 12 step program & good sober people around him. we all have mental issues,some of us fake it till we make it

December 31, 2010 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
    • kiang

I agree with you if I would of claimed mental issues I would Of never got cut in my face in a city jail three time with one incarceration. You are right it is hard in city jails; it's also extremely hard in some upstate prisons. Yes, if you a thug and a criminAL MINDED PERSON THEN YOU SHOULD STAY IN POP DOG, BUT IF YOU NEED HELP GO TO MENTAL HEALTH BUT DON'T GO THERE AND START YOUR BULLSH– UP WITH PEOPLE BY CLAIMING ONE THING WHEN YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR PROBLEM REALLY IS. HE'S STILL MY BOY.

December 31, 2010 at 6:55 am | Report abuse |
    • MaryMack

Yeah-I know people that have escaped hard time by playing crazy. It is a lot easier to be in a mental inst. than in the pen! It is difficult to really know unless you know these people in person!

December 31, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. H Dennis

As a person That can communicate with the other side I would say that DMX might have parania sch. and other psychotropical forms of schiz.

December 31, 2010 at 6:36 am | Report abuse |
  10. Kiang

When you say DMX might be Bi-polar do you mean he hears voices? Get back at me.

December 31, 2010 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
  11. Daniel

well, it happens to the best of us.

December 30, 2010 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Prize Board Member

"Well, it happens to the best of us" gets the Most Inanely Stupid Comment of the Day award. Congratulations.

Yeah, the best of us get all the breaks and talent only to throw it all away and become drug-addicted, convicted felons of numerous gun and violent charges. Yep, happens to the best of us.

December 31, 2010 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  12. Cap

December 30, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Honest73

I love DMX & always will.

December 30, 2010 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dino

yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo u feel me?

December 30, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Hip Hop fan

Wow, there are a lot of ignorant people that blog on these things. except oluwafemi1984
    . I dig what you said.

December 30, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  16. ANGEL

UMMM!! DMX had this condition since he was a kid, but unfortunately it was never treated.!! the drugs and people around him enabled him to get worse by hiding things, sweepin things under the rug, or they would clean up whatever mess he made so they can get as much money out of him as they could!!! If anyone has ever seen his show that lasted about a year or two, you could clearly see that he has a problem that had nothing to do with drugs!! In one episode he was messing up a convenience store, and instead of the people with him, (which was about 10 people) saying stop and get your butt in the car and lets go, they let him do what he wanted and paid the store owner the money for whatever damages he made!! So noone around him cared enough or was too scared to help him!!! He needs more than a month to get better, but hopefully where he is he will get the help he needs!!!!

December 30, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  17. mimi

DMX truly talented Jesus is with U anywhere and all the time continue to trust Him with your heart and soul and brother you will be delivered like Joseph, Hebrew in Egypt, David, Paul, Job and many men of the Bible. I keep your faith and the Lord Jesus will see you through... Almighty God Bless & Save DMX soul.

December 30, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • REALLY?

And it's that wonderful world of make believe that probably got DMX to where he is today! I wonder if smoking all that crack made him see Jesus or something...........

December 30, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

... and they lived happily ever after... (cue fairy tale music)....

December 31, 2010 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  18. Debbie

If there's any justice, the ghosts of the dogs he beat and starved to death are haunting him.

December 30, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Cyn

I guess he was right when he rapped 'y'all gon make me lose my mind...'

December 30, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • babycelebs411

funny:) I don't know much about him, but i do know that song..lol

December 30, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  20. james

Wow. Did somebody really just write that DMX was a talented musician? Now that is truly unfortunate.

December 30, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  21. cheefsfury

CRACK MAKES U END UP LIKE MDX

December 30, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Ms. F

I am wondering why they don't revoke L. Lohan's definately needs a mental ward.

December 30, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe

You're comparing this violent, multiple-time convicted felon to Lindsay Loha!?! Some twenty-something lost child with a substance abuse problem to this 40-year-old thug? Really?

December 31, 2010 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  23. oluwafemi1984

wow. That's very unffortunate to hear from such a talented musician. But that says a lot about mastering your craft before mastering yourself. So many talented people have these amazing abilities that millions of people wish they could do, but when it comes to their mental state they are completely lost. And because they are lost they tend to wash away their confusion through drugs or some other form of escapism. Anyway, very interesting.

check out my blog on local music and art: cheapsushi.wordpress.com. I'd love to have yur opinion whether you love it or hate it.

December 30, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |