Yeah boyeeee! Flavor Flav to release memoir
December 29th, 2010

Yeah boyeeee! Flavor Flav to release memoir

One of the most recognizable hype men in the history of rap music is ready to share his story with the world.

MTV reports that hip-hop legend and reality television star, Flavor Fav, is set to release his memoir, “Icon,” in March 2011. Published by Farrah Gray Publishing, the 264-page text will chronicle the life of the 51 year-old who was born Johnathan Drayton.

From his rise and fallout with Public Enemy to his more recent stints on VH-1’s “Flavor of Love” and “Strange Love,” the book “Icon” is set to shed light on one of the most colorful personalities in pop culture.

“In this compelling memoir, Flavor Flav takes the reader in vivid detail behind the scenes of his multi-faceted career,” reads the product description on Amazon.com, where the book is already listed.

For the fans and readers wondering just how deep into the story Flav is willing to go, the narrative promises to leave no stone unturned.

“He spares no one, revealing the tensions within Public Enemy and with Def Jam records, his struggles with addiction, his multiple visits to both rehab and to jail before re-inventing himself in reality television as VH1’s most eligible - and most watched - bachelor,” according to Amazon.

This news comes on the heels of what has been a big year for celebrity biographies.  Ricky Martin, Jay-Z and Justin Bieber have already scored well and along with upcoming projects from Q-Tip and Ice-T, Flav’s autobiography is already generating buzz.

Filed under: Books • Celebrities

1. BaxG

Damn, Flav. First a GPS voice, and now this? At least the GPS voice is funny: https://www.navtones.com/garmin/flavor-flav-gps-voice.html

January 21, 2011 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Talon

What trips me out is how most comments talk about how ugly and not educated and he is a monkey and on and on and on. First, dont you people know that "TV IS NOT REAL".. And yall done went from his book to racial topics to god knows what else. BOTTOM LINE IS. IF YOU DONT HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY.. THAN STFU. Its entertainment,THATS ALL..No wonder this world is sooo Fd up.. yall dont have anything better to do than HATE ON SOMEONE DOING BETTER THAN YOU ARE. I never watched to show, I know Flav because he is a musician and truthfully, amazes me of his Talents. AAYYY GET A LIFE AND PEOPLE WILL TALK BAD ABOUT YOU ALSO..

January 11, 2011 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  3. zort narf

FLAAAVOR!....meh

December 30, 2010 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
  4. Dave

It's a shame that Flavor Flav has become the caricature that people think of now.

Public Enemy was a force in hip hop (when it was still called rap), both musically and in social activism, and Flavor Flav was a big part of that. It's a shame we only remember him for his crappy VH-1 TV shows.

December 30, 2010 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  5. Blind Man

A pop-up book would be nice for my children.

December 30, 2010 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  6. Blind Man

I hope they release it in braille, too. I would hate to miss such an important read.

December 30, 2010 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  7. Newyorker

Flav gonna release a memoir? Believe the hype.

December 30, 2010 at 6:57 am | Report abuse |
  8. whocares

its not too long before the no.1 movie in America "ASS" becomes a reality. U.S. is full of retards

December 30, 2010 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  9. djoiweoiwfn

the late greg geraldo once said that flav looked lie a skeleton wrapped in electrical tape... i laughed haha

December 30, 2010 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jay

I imagine that his memoirs will be written in crayon.

December 30, 2010 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  11. Marco555

Best rap band of all time: Public Enemy

December 30, 2010 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  12. Adam

More proof: you don't have to READ a book in order to WRITE one.

December 30, 2010 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  13. big Al

The degenerate that has posed as big Al with your shameful statements,grow up and man up!

December 29, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Daniel

I find it amusing when people delete comments just because the retort was more intelligent..should be the new definition of loser in the dictionary..this means you onelove and monica

December 29, 2010 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. fastball

It's official....Flav has now officially written more books than he has read. Seriously, if he actually wrote a paragraph of that book himself, sans ghost-writers, I'll be amazed.

December 29, 2010 at 11:26 pm | Report abuse |
  16. barbara

omg that is so true. all pics, very few words that are not more than say 6 letters long. another book on my DO NOT buy this book list. this guy sucks and should have lost his fame a long time ago. as a teen i loved fight the power, chuck d was awesome. i still can't understand why mtv took up the flava of love, who would pimp themselves to "win" him? sick. they would have to pay billions to get women with real class, real self esteem and not groupie hoez to fight over him. those were all groupies trying to get 15 mins of fame. its disgusting. as a black woman myself, they embarassed me horribly.

December 29, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  17. JD123

Does he even know how spell "memoir"?

December 29, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  18. matic

FLAAAAAAVA FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE!!

December 29, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  19. hollis crew

I admire flav choice to write his story u know u ppl will purchase or download it. What i dont like isthe haters of my community who think 1person is representive of all. If thats the case then hitler ush n flav r clearly the faces of their nations.

December 29, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Dr. Bobo

Flav may not be the great one that he once was and yes a bit of a parody of himself at times, but you have to give the man his props. First 'sidekick' of rap. Teamed with the true genius of Chuck D., they were the best rap group ever. Educational, political and danceable. Sure, you can say the same about BDP and Chris Parker, but who had the hits and the iconic stature? PE and Flav! He can't do nuthin' for ya man!

December 29, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Mrza

BDP had a hypeman as well, I'm quite sure it was a rotating job but mostly D-Nice

January 7, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Flav

YEAAAA BOYYYYYYYYYY!! MY MEMOIR IZ GONNA BE DA REALEST ,BEST SELLIN', KINDLE CLOGGIN', HIP LIT SINCE MEIN KAMPF G!!!!!

December 29, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  22. sunless

try that http://www.SUPERSONIC.US.COM

December 29, 2010 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  23. jerry still here

U haters. U Loved elvis an he stole most of his music. U Fools watch jim carey an jack black. God knows they are more jerkys that are colorless then the flav. Can u haters write five dollar checks that won't jump into space.

December 29, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry

Wow. either you're trying to set the record for stupid, or you're stoned or drunk.

Or all three.

Bugger off, punk.

December 29, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Charles McG

Don't get viewng mixed up with the how many times I just met the compairson between mom an dad an still burning my feet left right ss cl

December 29, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Mattie

You go, Flav! I didn't know Flav until his reality show, but have to admit I came to love him. Good luck!

December 29, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Charles McG

Kool aid can b a life saver as Well

December 29, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  27. deon

K

December 29, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Charles McG

Staffford can't say very much more than that for you're county except for a cop car they pratice the destruction of frenzic so what did they do pick my family out of a phone book

December 29, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  29. spackar

Prior to approximately 1990, idiots were not seen on television in nearly the volume they are now. Now with MTV, VHI, Judge Shows, and "Maury" they are practically celebrated. The more idiocy and degenerate behavior I witness, the more I fear for the future of this country.

December 29, 2010 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • MD

Agreed. It is all part of the DUMBING DOWN OF AMERICA. We accept mediocrity and just plain CR@P!!

December 29, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Beautiful Vixen

He is one ugly black man! Not only is he ugly but he looks like a fool wearing that big clock around his neck..lol.

December 29, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Charles McG

Someone has bn lyng about court

December 29, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Charles McG

No its not the fu pigs its the I know u didn't you use someone ealse no there's a lot more tO it than using a dog on a kid an the aids game is real funny claim the for getting by imatng ealsers as u hounerly carrey him away from the extablishments

December 29, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Panty Sniffer

Flavor Flav is an idiot, but you have to love the guy. Regardless of what anyone says, Flavor is a pioneer. The Hype Man for a great group. Public Enemy.

I am a 41 year old white guy, raised in farm country, but I still love Public enemy, and love Flavor's contributions to that band. They wouldn't have been the same without him. YEAAAAAAH BOOOOOOOOY!

December 29, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  34. KLH

Congrats CNN on allowing racist remarks numerous times be posted. Have some class

December 29, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Cant Truss It

I bet he burnt out his spell check feature writing this one!

December 29, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Fred Tuttle

I'm fully expecting this to be the literary event of the year. Certainly the Flavored one's wit and wisdom shall render all existing faiths, philosophies and belief systems null and void and we shall enter a new age of enlightenment brought on by the shining example set with it's pages.

Or it will be just another self indulgent load of crap by yet another barely literate pseudo-celebrity

December 29, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  37. kelly

Real Housewife – " Does this fool even know how to read? Even with the girl pooping, I'm sure this book will never measure up to Motley Crue's "The Dirt". Now that was a funny book! "

he's a fool but Motley Crue was worth the wait ??? ok got it , moron

December 29, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  38. makeyamadd

Wmshadder, u upset cause flava got in bridgette's big freaky azz and she wouldn't give u a second look. She took super silly over the super stupid.

December 29, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  39. big Al

I'm thinking of changing my name to Big Bi-Curious Al...what do you think?

December 29, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  40. lol at the haters

Its sad to know that we live in a world and surrounded by people that are still expressing themselves as racists....i thought we were moving into 2011 no 1960 lol but i will just pray for everyone and wish flav the best...if he is trying to be successful then let him do him and keep negativity to yourself

December 29, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  41. darkstar

Does anyone really even give two cents about reading his 'memoirs?" I mean, come on now, WHO CARES???

December 29, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  42. chris

will it be written in a way for the people who'd want to read it can???

December 29, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  43. big Al

I'm like watching my boyfriend Hector lather up in the shower before he comes to bed. I'm also a fan of Michael Jackson. Not so much the singer part but I have a lot in common with Michael Jackson the person....if you know what I mean. anyone up for some Jesus Juice?

December 29, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  44. wmskadder

Who really really gives a rat's a---about anything this ???????has to say.
    big Al, why are you hiding that condom and girlie picture in your bible??? Don't preach please. We'll be judged by our maker, not you, yourl just a grain of sand in the desert of humanity.

December 29, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  45. steven howard

Jiggaboo??? wow!!! what century are we in again? and i thought flav was a little slow!

December 29, 2010 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  46. big Al

I guess you racist will burn in hell and don't even know it. Hate and you will be treated with hate and your soul's at stake . Buy a Holy Bible like a Holman Study Bible and find a church that reads from the bible and holds classes. Want to live to the fullest? Seek God!

December 29, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  47. makeyamadd

Dam Sarah Palin and flava flav are in the same family. With their inbred thinking. 2 loosers CNN and FOX tout as heros. The super silly and super stupid.

December 29, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  48. shaqfuage

I'm wearing my mother's silky underwear. It sends shivers up my spine.

December 29, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  49. alumette

To endorse a pimp is a little pushy...don't you think?

December 29, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Jack Howitzer

Do you think his memoirs will be broadcast on Channel 0?

December 29, 2010 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Various_Authors

Q-Tip? Really?

December 29, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Jello

Whoops, CNN accidentally used a picture of the Coz...

December 29, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  53. roaddogg

Whatever puts that paper in your pocket. do your thing boyeeeee!!!!!

December 29, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Superhiro

Oh dear god. There's no way I want to know any more about this man. I already feel like I know more than I should about this waste of human life.

December 29, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Ryan

nothing more than a trained monkey, with a big clock around its neck. I am glad he's black, I sure wouldn't want this guy to be representative of my community.

December 29, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • onelove

Umm.. racist much?

December 29, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • monica

what's your problem. I read the comments before this one and thought they were at least funny some type of way and you just want to be an idiot. go outside and put your mask on if you feel that way and see how far you get.

December 29, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • onelove / monica

Are you stupid or what ? My statement means this guy is a complete and utter waste of skin and could only be welcomed as an entertainer by blacks – who have readily accept mediocrity – and if he was white he would be laughed at. Nobody knows Flavor Flav because of his music, we know him because of some stupid reality show. Grow up...your reverse racism is unappealing.

December 29, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

Let me guess you live in a trailer or a tent.

December 29, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • onelove

Ryan –

Reverse racism? Do you even know what that means? You made some pretty dumb, borderline statements my friend. While I think a lot of the time people of both races need to lighten up on the whole race issue, and not make such a big deal out of things, I also know where the line is, and you flirted with it. Even in your retort you sound like a fool. Think before you speak – because you probably offend more people than you know.

Not that it matters – I'm sure you don't care.

December 29, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

@onelove – the problem with this type of medium is that you project your emotion when reading the comments. When you lack the intelligence to correctly assess the comment you should really refrain from supplying a retort. When Ryan said 'nothing more than a trained monkey' he was obviously pointing out that flavor flav is a one dimensional performer and is now in the public eye because of what he has evolved into not because of some God given talent. You seem very bitter and juvenile and probably the best thing is for you refrain from becoming so emotional when visiting sites like this.

December 29, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  56. IactuallyRead

Uhm, His name is William, his middle name is Jonathan.

December 29, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  57. JackT

it ain't too bad; youjust gotta keep your eyes shut real tight!

December 29, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Daniel

anyone want to bet that the book Pop's-Up and is written in crayon?

December 29, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Brian

Please.....just die.

December 29, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Pliny

This guy is the largest single embarassment to the African American community since Amos-n-Andy.

December 29, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • alumette

The best way to eliminate it is to ignore him. Don't read his book and don't watch his trash.

December 29, 2010 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  61. HERBIE LOVE BUG

HERE WE GO AGAIN?

December 29, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Tiger

He still remembers?....he must need money bad...no one is going to buy his book...

December 29, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Herbie love bug.

I WILL READ IT WHY NOT.

December 29, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Chris

what a complete loooooooser...

December 29, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Real Housewife

December 29, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Teri

I may have to read this book as an embarrasingly guilty pleasure. I actually miss Flave on TV; he sure was funny.

December 29, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Child, Please!

You know that's right! LOL

December 29, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  68. mEks

Not interested at the moment. May read later.

December 29, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  69. kim

I watched flavor of love one time... In the episode I saw, this fatty girl accidently pooped on the floor of the house (seriously) and he kept her on

December 29, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  70. YOUBRO

HEY LOOK AMERICA. SOMEONE PUT SUNGLASSES ON ON A BUTT WITH A GAPING HOLE. THATS FUNNY

December 29, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Sarcastro

I'm sure they will be some thoughtful commentary in the work. I'm interested to hear his views on the forward development of African-American culture and its continued relationship with time pieces used as jewelry.

December 29, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  72. cheefsfury

I CANT WAIT TO HERE ABOUT ALL THE TIMES HE CONVERSATED WITH ALL THOSE HOS

December 29, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • cavetroll

Wow – got education?

December 29, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Katrall

Only here you can read your horoscope forecast for 2011, 2012 and 2013 for FREE:

December 30, 2010 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  73. monica

no, you're just dumb

December 29, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Daniel

you don't know how to reply to a comment and you're calling some dumb ??

December 29, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |