Larry King: My questions weren't softballs
December 24th, 2010

Larry King: My questions weren't softballs

For all the critics who considered “Larry King Live's” interviews to be filled with “softball” questions, the former host begs to differ.

In an exclusive interview with "Reliable Sources’" Howard Kurtz, King fired back: “I didn't know what softball meant.” He added, “I asked good questions. I asked short questions. My questions didn't take three sentences. It always had a question mark at the end. A lot of questions [today] aren’t questions.”

King opened up on a wide range of topics about the 25 year run of “Larry King Live,” namely that, of course, not every moment was without confrontation.

When it comes to some of his more difficult guests, like Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, King said, “I had it with Ahmadinejad….I had a rough time.

“Now, I don't know how much the audience learned in that wonderful bit of two minutes of television of people angry at each other. I mean it's interesting to see people angry at each other.”

King also said that even though his name was on the show, that didn’t mean he always got his way.

“You win some, you lose some” King said referring to editorial debates. And on seeing himself parodied on “Saturday Night Live,” King said, “You know it means you’re being recognized. It means you accomplished something.”

You can see the entire interview this Sunday on "Reliable Sources" at 11 a.m. EST/8 a.m. PST.

Filed under: television

1. fgdhgfh

Dear customers, thank you for your support of our company.
    Here, there's good news to tell you: The company recently
    launched a number of new fashion items! ! Fashionable
    and welcome everyone to come buy. If necessary, please
    plut: http://www.yessoso.com

December 26, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. imstrider

I worked in radio when Larry was with the Mutual Broadcasting Network, and used to 'air' his show every night that it was on. Softballs is actually too kind, 'Schmoozing' is the term to best describe Larry's approach to 'interviewing'. I put Larry right up there with the Parade magazine in the Sunday paper. Journalism, NOT!

December 26, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. ekedini

Hey Larry King, when you have an actor playing you on SNL, it doesn't mean that they respected you, it means they think you are a big JOKE and they want others to join in the laugh. Also Larry King, "softball questions" means simple questions that any 1 grader can come up with! Larry King, so glad you are OFF the air.

December 26, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Carolyn

Yes, your questions were crap. I could have done a better job. I think the guests must have given you a list of things they would and would not talk about. You call yourself a journalist? Big laugh. You are a joke. Nothing more than an ex-felon entertainer, and a poor entertainer at that. Ever since I read the piece years ago about someone spotting an empty Depends wrapper in your trash everytime I saw you on TV I chuckled and could not keep a straight face. I never could sit thru a whole show of your's....boringgggggggggggggggg. Yeah you must have a kiss-ass staff is no one ever told you in 25 years how terrible you were.

December 25, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Brenda Collins

Yes, Larry they were softballs. To believe you were a hard hitting journalist asking insightful probative questions is to believe your own press. My Niece could have asked harder questions to your guests. Sorry I am surprised someone hasn't told you this long before now.

December 25, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  6. Leslie

Beg all you want – of course they were softballs. That's why just about anyone would agree to sit down with you - they knew they were safe, for crying out loud!

December 25, 2010 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |