Reese Witherspoon can't stand looking at her own photos
December 23rd, 2010

Reese Witherspoon can't stand looking at her own photos

With all the publicity Reese Witherspoon has been doing for her new rom-com, “How Do You Know,” we’re not sure how she avoids looking at pictures of herself, but one thing’s for sure: Checking out her own pics drives her “nuts.”

“I literally think I look bad in every picture,” Witherspoon, 34, recently admitted to Chelsea Handler on “Chelsea Lately.”

And watching herself on screen? That’s not happening, either. She watched a clip of a film once and started to cry.

“Who feels good looking at themselves? It’s torture,” she said. “Why would you want to watch yourself being stupid and pretending to be somebody else?”

But when Witherspoon’s not pretending to be somebody else, it turns out she’s hanging with her kids…and her, uh, "animal friends."

“I really do have animal friends. I have donkeys, I have goats, [and] two pigs: Booker T. Washington and Lavender Valentine,” she told Handler. (Her daughter Ava, 11, was studying U.S. History at the time. The goats are named George and Martha Washington.)

“My donkeys are named Honky and Tonky," Witherspoon went on, admitting, "I wanted to call them Honky Tonky and Badonkadonk, but the kids weren’t so into it, because they didn’t know what 'badonkadonk' was, thank goodness. So apparently I am doing some good parenting.”

Filed under: Celebrities

1. go with the flow

I think, unfortunately, many women (and probably men too) are dissatisfied or unhappy with the way they look most of the time, and I think Reese was simply echoing that sentiment. She is lovely and talented to our eyes, but I'm sure she finds fault with herself whenever she sees a performance or picture and so prefers to avoid that. I can completely understand where she's coming from. I wish we could all be more accepting of ourselves and others and find the beauty and talent and creativity we all possess rather than be so self-critical!

December 24, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  2. Rosalinda

I like Resee especially on her acting. But she acts so conceited when she said that she does not want to see herself. well she knows she is good. just stay humble and u will go a lomg way.

December 23, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

How on Earth do you come to the conclusion that she is "conceited" because she says she doesn't like looking at herself? If she loved staring at her image THEN she might seem conceited. Do you even know what the word means?

December 23, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • RJ

The fact that she actually complains about her looks even though she has access to top-notch hair care, skin treatments, and personal trainers that most people will never have is kind of conceited in and of itself.

December 28, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Alice

AIRHEAD!!

December 23, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. STLRose

Reese is a completely adorable young woman and very talented. You rarely read bad press about her. I enjoy her work and would put her in the Sandra Bullock category as likeable, good natured, self-effacing and real. And I think it's very human that she doesn't relish watching herself in film and images. Sounds like a normal gal!

December 23, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • kat

I agree. I like acting a fool, but I don't like it being caught on tape :-/ She sounds normal to me.

December 23, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. LBWl

That article makes her sound like such an air head. You don't make the money she is making by looking bad and she knows this. Enjoy it while life is landing jelly side up because in Hollywood there is always a younger and prettier girl just waiting to fill her shoes.

December 23, 2010 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jan

I wish I could be half the "airhead" she is if it meant I could be anywhere near as successful (and likely as happy) as she is. How does your life compare, braniac? I'm pretty sure Reese doesn't spend her free time trolling the internet criticizing other celebrities like you seem to enjoy so much.

December 23, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • RJ

Jan – calm down, you delusional fanatic. Reese DOES sound like an airhead. Who the hell cries when watching themselves on a video? And I don't give a damn how successful she is, I've rather be broke and intelligent than a rich moron.

December 28, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |