Chris Brown completes – and tweets – domestic violence course
December 21st, 2010

Chris Brown completes – and tweets – domestic violence course

As schools wrap up classes around the country, R&B star Chris Brown is graduating from a different kind of course: a court-ordered program on domestic violence.

The 21-year-old tweeted a photo of his certification on Monday, writing along with it, “I’m done with class.” The credential was handed out for his completion of a 52-week course on domestic violence.

In November, Brown also received a positive reaction from Judge Patricia Schnegg at a progress hearing for his probation, handed down after his February, 2009 assault of his then-girlfriend Rihanna.

"Of all probationers I've ever had, and I've had thousands of probationers, no one has ever done a better or more consistent job than you have," Judge Schnegg told Brown. "I really want to commend you for taking responsibility, and for actually working diligently to complete all of the things the court has required of you."

Brown's next court appearance is on January 28, and Schnegg believes it'll be his last.

Filed under: Celebrities

1. lien tom

Congrats gang rapper. You completed a course on how to act more like a normal human being instead of heathen ghetto trash. Most people can do this on their own without taking a class FYI.

June 21, 2011 at 4:07 am | Report abuse |
  2. lien tom

Aren't they on the cover of People this week talking about their problems, their baby plans? Privacy? Silly for CNN to fall for their load of hogwash.

June 21, 2011 at 4:07 am | Report abuse |
  3. angela

I sincerely wish you the best, CB, because (n my opinion) you have done remarkedly well and have come a long way. First and foremost, what CB did was wrong, terribly wrong, and totally inexcusible: BUT, he did not try to make any excuses for it. As a matter of fact, he took full responsiblity for it. He could have lamblasted her and given his account of things, and could have possible put her in a bad light, like she did him, but he did not. He kept his mouth shut and 2 years later, his mouth is still shut. He made a huge mistake, one that he has taken measures to correct. Yes, he hit/beat a woman while he was a teenager. We, at some point, as teenagers, make some dumb choices and make the wrong decisions, but the key element is to learn from those mistakes. CB has done what it takes for HIM to be a better person, and getting that certificate has made him a better person.He has grown. That is what life is all about, growth. We want to grow physically, emotionally and spiritually. CB, you are one of the most talented entertainers out there. I feel in my heart that you have (1) forgiven yourself (2) will not make this mistake again (3) have truly learned from this experience and (4)have grown spiritually. Take this experience and go talk to young boys about domestic violence. Turn this negative into a positive. You cannot change the past, (for you will always be identified as the man who beat up Rihanna) but you can change the face of the future by volunteering your time at DV shelters/talking to young men about DV, and the like. I know that you are a good man, one who made a horrendus mistake. You have paid your dues. In spite of the media scrutiny and backlash, you are still standing. You are a stong human being, and a good man. Keep up the positive work, and keep your eyes on the windshield. Thank God, Praise God and honor him, for he is the ony one that brought you through this. You are blessed. People will eventually come around, just as the Grammy's came aroung, for your talent cannot be denied. Your talent is awesome, and cannot be taken away from you. Keep a positive image, and you will go far. I love you.

December 22, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Cherry

Just want to say "He without sin cast the first stone." We have all fallen short of God's glory...some of us just haven't been caught. I can't say he will never change, I can say that God can change the worst person and make him a disciple! Let's hope that Chris Brown has changed and that Rihanna has changed. We must also teach our daughters not to hit men as well. That is NO EXCUSE for what he did, but we don't have a heave or hell to put people in.

December 22, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sherry

As a survivor of domestic violence and mother of daughters and sing 'Dueces" to death I'm proud of Chris Breezy (Pryor, Osu QB gets mad but yall do look like bros haha)! It has always bothered me Rhianna and her record company used this to sell CDs but if Chris did it we would be all over him. Yes Rhianna's boss can sell drugs and all is forgiven but Chris was put under a different microscope because the media is about the face. If Rhianna were an ugly ghetto black woman beat like that the media wouldn't give a sh@@...nor would Jay Z!!!!!!! Chris make sure the next nice lady you date is about genuine friendship and not a media tool to sell CDs and walk away if she's an IDIOT!!! Like Usher's fake "I need a subject for another CD" marriage I knew your relationship Rhianna was media driven as well.

Rhianna: Tina Turner NEVER thought being beat to a pulp was an advertisement tool. She GENUINELY refused to discuss Ike but I'm glad someone talked her into writing a GREAT book/movie. You're (nor manufactured Beyonce) not TT honeydip!!!! The media has really worn me down deciding what FACE is talented!!!!

December 22, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  6. Kpoll

He felt the need to tweet about it and share a pic of his I beat a woman award.. I mean his ..certificate

A taste for the old ultra-violence isn't something that can be erased by taking a class. Whatever gets you off... gets you off. ya know what I'm sayin?

December 22, 2010 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  7. brad

Shooter, just because you hit women (clearly by your statement) it doesn't justify losing your temper. As already stated, real men don't hit women.

December 22, 2010 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  8. Christmas time

We do not have to forgive him - he has to forgive himself. He did all the right things as instructed by the court system –now we all move on & wish him the best. He will be a better man & make music & leave this ordeal behind.

December 22, 2010 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
  9. Teri Ann

I can assure You all that domestic violence has nothing to do with race nor "breaking points". Real men (and women) know there breaking points and remove themselves from the situations. Also, thou I hope the best for him and his future, I must remind everyone that these anger management and domestic violence classes have a very low success rate. Time will tell with him whether he took it seriously and learned that if this wasn't a one time lost his cool ordeal, how to recognise the situation befor it gets out of hand next time and removes him self from the situation. I truly hope he will be one of the success stories. As a victim of domestic violence,(twice, by two different men) I would like to see a success story for once. As far as the comment for the young women that couldn't understand how a women could live in a domestic violence relationship, You should know that there are two types of abusers, one like my first who didn't start abusing me until I was pregnant, with no job, moved away from my family, and had no were to go or call for help. Plus three more kids to have to take to live on the streets with me, or stay and put up with it and provide a place for my kids to live. Then there's the second that every thing is going just fine other than a few arguments here and there then within seconds You have had the living hell beat out of You and You can't even remember what started the argument. So trust me when I say that domestic violence relationships are a lot more complicated than they seem to people that have not lived them. One little fact for those that can't understand why women don't just pack up and leave, that is when they and there children are at greatest risk of injury and death. Statistics show that the risk goes up 70%. I can go on and on I promise on why women stay, there are so many complicated reason that are truly beyond belief. You really should google it sometime if it interest You.

December 22, 2010 at 3:29 am | Report abuse |
  10. Neeq

Great that he completed the course, however, that does not change the fact that he beat her up. No matter what she said, no one deserves to be physically abused. What he did was not just a slap, it was a beat down. Where did he learn that? I don't know if I can believe that a class can undo years of ignorance. People who bring in race need to get over it. I feel the same way about Charlie Sheen, both deserved to be put in jail. I just hope who ever dates Chris Brown realizes what he did and realizes there's always a chance it could happen to them like it did to her.

December 22, 2010 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  11. Shooter

WAIT A MINUTE... None of us know what went on in that car that night. He has no history of ever abusing anyone before. Women need to take some responsibility for pushing men to their breaking point. What he did was wrong and there is no excuse. But every man on this site knows exactly what I mean when I say that women can push and push and push and you never know what may come out one night when you mix in some alcohol, etc. She may have very well been assaulting him first. Again, it's not right what he did but sometimes things just get out of control. I'm not ready to say he's an "abuser". I'm sure if he could go back and do it all over again he would have just dropped her off on the sidewalk and left her for good.

December 22, 2010 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Neeq

Boohoo if men are pushed to their "breaking point". Everyone has a breaking point whether it's men or women, there is zero reason for physical violence. Majority of men are pushed to their breaking point yet they don't lay a finger on a woman. Figures that she would in some way be blamed, it's always easy to put the blame on the victim for some reason.

December 22, 2010 at 1:53 am | Report abuse |
  12. makgroom

Sorry, I don't believe that a course will alter a life time of learned emotional responses.

December 21, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Godsmack

@J..oh I haven't heard about the STD. I don't follow some of the stories all the way or have reasons to at time, only when I'm bored I catch up on the what's going on. Well that kinda sucks. Anyway hope they are both ok :)

December 21, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Godsmack

Lol..meant not a fat moose.

December 21, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Godsmack

As a woman I don't understand how any woman would just let a man beat on her. I don't know how anyone can become so numb and go into shock or whatever they do that let them stand there and let someone else do them harm. I'm a nice person (most of the time, evil grin) but someone say or do anything nasty (in person of course), I'm on defense. I would have had a frying pan crashing down on his head no sooner..lol. (I'll leave the slapping around for the bedroom thank you..wink) and no I'm not black and a fat moose. I'm white and 125 lbs and white women can kick ass too. Anyway hope he clean his act up and got the help he needed.

December 21, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • HarshReality

Well, they have to sleep sometime. . . (snip!!!)

December 22, 2010 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
    • LadyM

Way to to Godsmack! I like your style girl. I am an african american female and I would have kicked his ass too. I am a firm believer in fighting back. My brothers taught me at a very young age not to be anybody's punching bag (MALE OR FEMALE). I only back down when there is a weapon involved (I can't fight a bullet). Anyway, hang tough and keep it real. : )

December 22, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  16. Evel Kneivel

What happened to the good old days when you could belt a broad for getting out of line. We had less problems then.

December 21, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  17. B3 Fearless

CNN says that they don't screen comments but appears that they have screened mine because it has yet to appear on this page.

December 21, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Rita

I give Mr. Brown a lot more credit than I would ever give Charlie Sheen. Chris has proven so far, that he is remorseful and want to do the right thing. Unlike Charlie who is 25yrs older than Chris and keeps making the same mistakes over and over and over again. His bio reads like a rap sheet and his reward is a huge increase in his salary...go figure. Anyway, Chris – stay strong, positive and focus. Best of good luck!!

December 21, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  19. TRL

No one can condone what CB has done but if its isolated and he's truly remorseful about his action and is continues to talk to youths (who might look up to him) about his mistake... then what gives on continually painting him with a label that would identify him as habitually attacking women when that would otherwise be false. This is not a defense for CB, I've never been much of a supporter of his music but I know we as humans are not perfect and there will be times where we are down right idiotic. Never the less there is always room for forgiveness and positivity.

December 21, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  20. #teambreezy

and to the_dude you can stfu that remark was sooo racist and unnecessary what was your point?? smfh

December 21, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • HarshReality

He had a VERY VALID point. This young man hit a woman. There's no excuse in the world for that, none. And, in case you didn't notice, race was not mentioned. Feeling a little self concious\guilty\responsible about something?
      The average Joe doesn't have to go to a class to know not to assult people. That it is wrong to hit people is enough of a reason for civilized persons everywhere to aviod doing the dirty.

December 22, 2010 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
  21. #Teambreezy

All humans make mistakes ... big or small ... so there really is no point to condem him for his. Dont like him? Dont support him. Stop buying his music. None of us were in the backseat when the event took place. No matter what happened theres no excuse for what he did but Rihanna has moved on he's moved on we should too

December 21, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  22. T3chsupport

And now the wait.
    This wasn't just popping a chick in the mouth for whatever reason, he beat the crap out of her.
    People who don't grow up respecting women, or other people in general, have a hard time learning this later in life.
    So typically- once an abuser, always an abuser.
    Just because he passed a test doesn't mean he learned anything other than how to pass a test.
    The real test will not be in a classroom. Sure, he was young, and he has a chance... but we'll have to wait and see for years and years.

December 21, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  23. B-Dog

WOW!!! Way to not beat up any women in over a year! Can I get one of those too? lol

December 21, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  24. the_dude

December 21, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  25. nick

its funny how white people are the only one who has not forgiven him white people are just rasict they like to bring young black man down

December 21, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • S

no we just don't like men who beat women, sounds like you are the one who is bringing race into the mix

December 21, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Poolchick

What an idiotic comment. Why is the race card always mentioned? Do you have a low self esteem? The guy beat on his girlfriend........ period! I don't care what color you are, you beat a woman than you are a danger to society. It's really quite simple and don't know why people like you have a hard time understanding that. Bringing the race card is pointless when the story had nothing to do with race. Pathetic actually. This loser doesn't deserve nothing in life, not even a second chance. He thought he was all high and mighty. He knew damn well beating on her was wrong. I wish someone would beat on him so he can cry away. The time he spent in that course, he still took the time to twit stupid ignorant comments so I don't think he changed at all. He should have become an actor cause he sure fooled them all.

December 21, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • J

Im white and I forgive him, well I was never mad at him. He may have handled it wrong, but she did give him an STD. It may not be the best way to handle but its not the worse. Maybe she shouldn't spread diseases.

December 21, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • John Q. Public

Where in any of these comments does it state their races? Your just an individual looking to cause an issue that doesn't exist. This matter was never about race to begin witth but about the domestic violence.

December 22, 2010 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  26. scab

He sucks. Hopefully, next time he beats a girl, he'll get jail time.

December 21, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • HarshReality

Or. better yet, the girls father pulls out his shotgun and. . . (Which is what should have happened the first time, IMO)

December 22, 2010 at 4:24 am | Report abuse |
    • KLR

@HarshReality.......I am sensing that someone either knocked your block off or you are serving time for doing the same thing that Chris Brown did and are not coming to grips with your misdeeds...in any case, you should really examine your anger and possible take some classes yourself....(inhale......exhale)

December 22, 2010 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
    • HarshReality

Nope, father of a daughter whose "hip hop wannabe" boyfriend smacked her a bit. He's currently hiding in Texas so I can't get to him easily. He know's the deal, and he ran. When I catch up with him. . .

December 22, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  27. #teambreezy

I need everyone against Chris Brown to leave him alone. For one your oppinion doesnt matter and two you dont know him outside of this blog and if he's completing his duties who are you to say he needed jail time? Only time will tell if he learned his lesson and so why sit here and judge him? Everyone does wrong and we all pay for it so lets not sit here and be hypricrites??

December 21, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • S

how convenient..so why exactly does your opinion matter? oh yeah none of this does, people never change, i give it less than 2 years before he does it again

December 21, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • lmp

Uhhh...for one. Learn how to "spell check" before you put your "opinion" on here.

December 22, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  28. WLM

its pathetic that he has to celebrate getting an angre management cert after beating up his girlfriend. He should have gone to jail. Period!

December 21, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sara Marie K.

I am really proud of Chris!!! What an AWESOME guy! Some people on here are really screwed up in the head. Why is it a bad thing that he graduated from his class?? He is showing people that anyone can progress and reform into a better person if they put their mind to it. Why do people waste their time judging him? It has to be racism because i have heard guys threaten to beat girls all the time and no one reacts to it and tells them that they are "losers, woman beaters, or not deserving a life". I notice that white people only defend their own people like Charlie Sheen or Mel Gibson when they do bad things but when it comes to nice Black men like Chris they want you to run off and die. Chris doesn't have to go away. He is an artist, an entertainer and he wanted to share the information with his fans who follow him on Twitter. It is a big deal because he is proving people he is done with what was setting him back in life since 2009. He is already doing well on the Billboard charts so obviously MOST people are over the incident. If people want to see young criminals get better and become better people they need to stop hating on them when they do good things like this. Congratulate and praise them and move on.

December 21, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • HarshReality

>>Why is it a bad thing that he graduated from his class?? <<
      h, because he HIT A WOMAN. Real men don't hit women, period. He is NOT an awsome guy, he is an abuser. If you don't believe me, ask his next victim.

December 22, 2010 at 4:20 am | Report abuse |
  29. Kareen

Promising to be a better person is one thing, living without hurting females is another.
    TIME WILL TELL

December 21, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Joe

Why did this doosh have to take a domestic violence course? He seemed to already have it mastered.

December 21, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  31. almostpia

correction: "There will be some people who..."

December 21, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry

Correction; Pigeon Holed. Pigeon hold is when you are grabbing a bird.

December 21, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  32. almostpia

I'm proud of Chris Brown and i say give him a chance to apply what he has learned from his DV couseling classes before saying he hasn't or won't change. I had a grandfather who was abusive to my grandmother but after an intercession by my mother and her older siblings, the physical abuse ceased.

There is be some people who will prefer to pigeonhold Chris Brown into their own convenient categories to keep themselves from doing the hard work of believing in the resiliency of a humbled human spirit. Only time will tell and I believe in giving the benefit of the doubt and letting him mature into a better person. There are artists like Jay-Z who sold drugs for years (and stabbed a record executive) but music lovers have embraced him in spite of years of indiscreations meanwhile they judge Chris Brown for a one-time incident.

December 21, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • HarshReality

Will you say that again after his next victim comes forth??

December 22, 2010 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
  33. Keesha

I am glad that he seems to be taking his punishment seriously. I hope that he is learning his lesson. I wish him the best.

December 21, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  34. Sheri

He committed this crime as a teenager I think I can give him a 2nd chance.

December 21, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  35. Jen

I guess we'll have to see if this diligence was simply to correct the bad press or it if was genuine...we shall see!

December 21, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  36. TRUTH

Good job Chris! Only the test of time and future relationships will tell if he has truly become a better person.

December 21, 2010 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
    • kiki

I agree only future relationships will tell if he has become a better person in relationships. I hope whoever he dates next that he will still take some sort of anger management classes or counseling to help manage his temper. I am glad he took this so seriously.

December 21, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Awesome. He BEAT the course! Good job, Brown! Do you want a cookie?

December 21, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • HarshReality

I'll bet you don't want to be the "next reletionship" tester. Bet this poor girl gets beat the same as the last. This Brown person said what he judge wanted to hear, no more. He ill be back in court for it, and the next girlfriend\victim will be the only looser.

December 22, 2010 at 4:11 am | Report abuse |