'Real Housewives of Atlanta' gets heated
December 20th, 2010

'Real Housewives of Atlanta' gets heated

[Editor's Note: "Real Housewives of Atlanta" recapper Lisa Respers France is on vacation but will be back to talk "Housewives" drama on January 2.]

Last night's episode of “Real Housewives of Atlanta" must've been filmed in the middle of a Georgia summer, because everyone clearly needed to chill out. Tensions were running high as the ghosts of past gossip came back up during face-to-face confrontation, and the ladies all seemed pretty stressed.

Kandi was working on her promo tour; NeNe was attempting to land celebrity interviews; Cynthia was trying to plan a wedding underneath the dinosaurs; and Phaedra was trying to be “mom, wife, lawyer and businesswoman.”

In fact, the only woman who didn’t seem a little frazzled and should’ve been was Kim.

She was still trying to get it together for her upcoming promo tour with Kandi, but Kim’s focus was still in all the wrong places. She was more worried about getting a bedazzled microphone and not having a wardrobe malfunction than she was about her abhorrent performance. If I were Kandi, this is where I'd pick business over friendship and show Kim the door.

Kim's lack of talent is made even more obvious when you hear Kandi blow it out in the studio. Granted, she was singing a song that clearly cut to her core: the lyrics were one giant reflection on what her life’s been like since AJ passed, making that scene a really tough one to watch.

But Kandi is a good one for owning up to Phaedra that she ran back and told everyone about how far along Phaedra really was. Phaedra may have earned the title Fakedra, but her reaction was very real.

The new mom - who, yes, does seem to have found her maternal instincts - went in on Kim after Kandi revealed that Ms. “Tardy for the Party” was the one who was the most obsessed about the pregnancy. Phaedra made some serious verbal hits, saying Kim just might get her wig snatched off. I didn't quite get where she was going with her comment about Kim being on her way to hell, so I'm going to move on...especially because it only got worse once the ladies all gathered at a spa.

Thank goodness we had Sheree - who'd been playing supermom for the episode - for a little comic relief. Her perfectly timed "I think we need a contract" was the laugh out loud moment of the night, and every face she made as Kim got into it, first with Cynthia and then with Phaedra (not to mention when Phaedra talked about that male stripper...), was like a mirror of my own reaction.

But, as I'm sure you'll notice, the one constant in all of the drama was Kim. First she kept saying that Cynthia looked crazy for writing up that friendship contract, but Kim looked just as loopy for being so protective of NeNe – who’s a grown woman, by the way, and no doubt can protect herself. Then she got defensive about her educational background and arguing with Phaedra about her pregnancy...which, at this point, is pretty unnecessary. The kid's here; who cares when Phaedra's due date was? Like Kandi (a.k.a the voice of reason) said, Kim needs to just protect herself.

Oh, and about that friendship contract: I don’t totally buy that Cynthia did it all in jest, but regardless, NeNe shouldn’t have broadcasted it like that. While I don’t quite understand Cynthia – she doesn’t seem completely crazy, but she is a bit, um, different - I do understand why her feelings would be hurt. She thought she was making a nice gesture towards a friend, however immature it was, and NeNe was off chortling about it behind her back.

What’d you think of last night’s episode? Do you think Cynthia’s really crazy, or just…strange?

1. peter

They all sux, but candi.

January 24, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. likeswivesshows

Does anyone else notice that the ladies pick on the only white castmember the most? Also, why are there no or few minorities on the other housewives shows? I'm sure Hollywood has some minority housewives they could have cast.

January 15, 2011 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. NotRealIsIt

These women are a waste of skin. They do nothing, contribute nothing, their lives are a joke, the only thinkg they all have is ego. You can't help but pity them.

January 11, 2011 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  4. bravegoodgirl

KIM what are you really doing ; now how are you showin your girls good things ;when all you are doing is layin around having baby;s with no husband s come on now you need to get of the show. cause what are you showing young girls today . that;s not what mother;s want . Let me ask you this ; what if some do your daugther like the way you have done BIG PAPAS. FAMILY .// hurting people is not a joke Kim..

January 1, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bravegoodgirl

They all need to take some me time/ firts of all i don;t care for the way Kandy did NE NE when it came to the song ; but she is one of those people that Kim will have to show her . because when you do your own people thats not good and i;m sure the girls have thought the same just did;nt say any thing ;; but all good Kandy . now have you every asked NE NE if she would like to due a song / but if not NE NE you go girl cause GOD is on your side . and not man thst go for your husband also.. nothing but love for you girl....

January 1, 2011 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. angel

First time watching these episodes last night, and I thought they were hilarious. Phaedra's lie about having a preterm baby with a normal birthrate is the oldest lie in the book. It's sad she felt the need to lie about it and defend it and even sadder they argued over it. Phaedra knew she was lying and should have ignored it. Dwight was wrong for repeating that crap.

Kim should have stayed in her place, but since she has a small brain and no class, she doesn't know how to do that. Honestly, she has no room in her life to discuss anyone. And who cares about her having an LPN license. That's not a degree hun... that's a vocation. You don't get an actual degree in trade school, you get a license to work.

January 1, 2011 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  7. Reydon

Peter is so ON POINT... Everyday that I've known only has 24 hours..... if you spend 20 hours with the chicks..then how much time does this leave for ya MAN....... CHOOSE.....It's OK to be single.......when you ARE...otherwise, act accordingly and give that man his time......Welcome to the Future kids................

December 21, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mary

Oh one more thing, Cynthia needs to lose that man. She's way too independent to marry a control freak like Peter. Telling her when he walks through the door everything else should cease. I sure hope they don't have kids.

December 21, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mary

I love this show and watch it every week. Phaedra is my absolute favorite. I like all her snide remarks and they way she states them. She's so laid back and upfront. As far as the remarks about her husband being an excon, who cares. He seems like a sweet, loving father. NeNe better not spit in the air with a son that's been in trouble with the law himself. But I do like NeNe and I hope she gets out of the funk she's in. I think Kim needs ADHD medicine, she sure has a problem focusing.

December 21, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. SoBeautiful

I thought the friendship contract was cute, she was thinking she was being funny w/ her "friend". NeNe on the other hand turns her back to make fun of it and that was not cool. I understood Cynthia's position the whole time. She was attempting to be a friend to her Girl and still maintain PEACE in her own household. He was not demanding her to do anything. He was being a man that required some attention. He (and her I believed) are about to get married. That is a huge step for them and considering how up in the air it was before they decided I think they having some anxiety issues. He blames it on the resturaunt and she dives into the planning. NeNe has her very grounded moments and other times she is two-faced and as phony as the rest of them. Kim....Please! Phaedra, you are very extra but if Zeus/Dino whatever his name is likes it than more power to both of you. But please stop talkin about how you have husband. So what! So do I. Kandi, all them thoughts you keeping on the inside about Kim you need to share with her. Maybe not all but alot of them. She really needs to get a grip. Sharee' .....Please!

December 21, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jam

Okay, I know everyone on the Bravo blogs are defending Cynthia for the whole friendship contract but honestly it really didn't come off as a joke. I mean she was acting super weird, she kept pushing NeNe to speak with her in private when NeNe was clearly uncomfortable. Plus, a friendship contract would be a good joke if she had known NeNe for years. From my understanding, she barely knew NeNe when this season started shooting. And let's face it, marrying a male chauvinist dude who feels he can tell his fiancé who and when she can talk on the phone to? She has no grounds to think it's weird that Kim was in a relationship with a married man... She's pretty but desperate....

December 21, 2010 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  12. Lori

Gosh, when you watch these STUPID,SHALLOW shows of these self-centered women, it's hard to believe that there are people on this planet starving, living in slums and have no clean water to drink or toilets to use....

December 20, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. DiamondGirl

Kaye I agree with you. There is no need for that pic comment. That person is just starting off a whole new black and white attack on this blog. I was going to say something nasty back to stand up for my race but then I read your comment and I thought it was nice. I don't watch the show much only when there is nothing else on but I like Nene the best out of them all and as a white person I really don't care for Kim. I don't understand the wig which she is always moving it away from her face and she sucks at singing

December 20, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Anne

As a 28 year woman, who works for a living in a great job, has wonderful friends and is in a great relationship, I truly find these shows so ridiculous. These women are (generally) volunteering to embarrass themselves. And they don't even realize how silly they look. It's laughable! These women are children, and they're a POOR example of what a real woman is.
    I am not saying I am the end all and be all of what a woman should be, but these are not women. Or at least not the woman that I want to be. Their level is maturity is so low it's amazing that they have gotten this far!
    I guess this is entertainment, but it's just too bad that people don't want to see a show with women who are REAL women – and we all know what that is – strong, enduring, caring, mature, kind, smart, fun, giving, and so many of things that most of us are lucky enough to see in our own mothers, and what we eventually want to be able to see in ourselves.
    Thanks,
    Anne

December 20, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pimpastic

Anne, do you give up the nappy dugout?

December 20, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • kaye

wow you took so much time out of ur life to watch a show, read a blog and post a looooong comment on something you find ridiculous. Well that's ridiculous. Get a hobby! Also I'm black and a woman and don't care if cnn posted a pic of kim and not the other ladies, it's 2010. Get over the race thing, Black people are honestly the most racist people I've met and ALL of my Black friends would agree. Lmao

December 20, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • MAGGIEF

I suppose you want to be Miss Perfect.They are not silly and they worked at some point ,you may not like what they did but then again they may feel the same about you.we as women seem to judge people from where we are in life,when some time we just need to either watch the show or just keep opinions to ourselves because at the end of the day they go home and take care of their children.as for the remarks you make someone is saying the same about you

December 30, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Really???

Really CNN? The only predominantly Black "Housewives" show and you put the White lady's picture on their story?

December 20, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |