Neil Patrick Harris gets in Twitter row with Eric Braeden
December 20th, 2010

Neil Patrick Harris gets in Twitter row with Eric Braeden

Neil Patrick Harris has suffered from a bout of Tweeter’s remorse.

The “How I Met Your Mother” star angrily took to Twitter on Friday after “Young and the Restless” actor Eric Braeden apparently had a change of heart about making an appearance on Harris's CBS show.

“Eric Braeden is a D-Bag. the actor, (Robin's dad) agreed to a cameo, then last night bailed, saying the part wasn't 'substantial' enough,” Harris tweeted. “We've recast with Ray Wise, a fantastic actor who makes any part 'substantial'. Super excited to welcome him to the family!”

But a few hours later, Harris had a change of heart.

“Now I feel bad for the D-bag comment. Don't know the guy personally,” Harris wrote. “I'm just fiercely protective of our show.”

Meanwhile, Braeden, who appeared in a 2008 episode of “HIMYM” as the elder Robin Scherbatsky, had a few choice words of his own.

"It was utterly inappropriate. He's a little boy,” Braden told the Hollywood Reporter, adding that Harris “could get his teeth knocked in for that kind of nonsense.”

The 69-year-old actor added that he wasn’t making an appearance on the show because he’d recently had hip surgery, was “exhausted” from work, and the part was only two lines. “Two lines," Braeden said, "I don’t do that for anyone.”

But he didn't stop there. The actor added in a statement to CNN, “I’ve been in this business for 50 years - I’ve seen so many actors come and go - most of them never to be seen or heard of again. I suggest whoever this young fellow is enjoy his success and count his blessings and save his money."

The statement continued, "My first time on that show ["How I Met Your Mother"] I enjoyed working with the writers, directors and crew enormously however I did not have the pleasure of meeting most of the cast including this fellow who put his foot in his mouth by saying what he did. It’s Christmastime and I forgive him for his verbal transgression."

Filed under: Celebrities • television

1. 10bac10

Eric Braeden is full of himself. I suspect he thinks he is "Victor Newman" in real life. Meh.

August 12, 2011 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  2. marquee.blogs.cnn.com

Neil patrick harris gets in twitter row with eric braeden.. Very nice :)

April 17, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tony

NPH should think before he speaks. Doesn't really matter what Eric B said in response, the point is Eric B wasn't rude he just backed out of making an appearance for health reasons. Why did NPH need to lash out? Eric B was making a cameo it wasn't like the show would fall apart without him.

March 8, 2011 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Martin Bilson

MPH probably shouldn't have tweeted what he did, but Braedon does sound like a D-Bag.

December 26, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dale Clark

wow reading this guys response makes me think he actually is a d-bag...NPH was spot on! and I am almost ready to guess that more people know who Neil Patrick is the the other guy..whats his name again?

December 26, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Seriously

Who are these people?

December 26, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Carol Waters

I think Neil Patrick Harris should have phoned Eric Braeden and asked him why he got out of doing his show before he called him names on twitter. He should know better.

December 21, 2010 at 4:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. MOMMA G

This is what is wrong with the world, people get all upset upon hearing things without knowing the full story and lash out. Some of them don't care as to whether or not they are hearing the truth or know the full story, as was the case with NPH. As an admirer of NPH's work, I am totally surprised at what he did to Eric Braeden on Twitter. People should think before they act about anything. It might seem like a good idea at the time you are doing these acts and seem like the thing to do but always remember actions have consequences regardless of who are or what it is you are doing and saying. When I was a child there was a saying "sticks and stones can break your bones but words will never hurt you." With age and wisdom I have learn you can recover from a broken bone but once something is said or printed it cannot be taken back irregardless of an apology.

December 20, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • tvbug

So very true.. To paraprase the Bible, "It is not what goes into the mouth, it is what comes out that matters."

December 20, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • AlienAnessa

I'm completely with you, Momma G, I too have enjoyed NPH in so many things, but "overly protective of the show" or not, that's no excuse to spout at the mouth withing knowing the full story. Did he bother to inquire what might have been going ON in Braeden's life right now?? Get any background on the issue before taking to stupid Twitter??

December 20, 2010 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wasabi Kitmayashi

@AlienAnessa I'm amazed at how personal you're taking this story. You seem like the type of person who watches Entertainment Tonight, and I'm sorry to hear that. However, I take joy in poking and prodding at the seriousness of your inconsequential comments.

December 26, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bill janson

Eric Brarden is a veteran in the business–NPH not so much. My words to him: "Get some time on, kid!!"

December 20, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • hj

NPH has been acting for at least 22 years, how many years does it take to become a veteran actor in your opinion?

Eric Braeden's comments indicate that he is either completely out of touch with the business or simply looking for publicity (no PR is bad PR after all).

December 20, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • AlienAnessa

Agreed, bill. HJ, if you knew even one thing about Braeden it's that he doesn't seek out nor need publicity. Please, move on with the uneducated comments.

December 20, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wasabi Kitmayashi

@AlienAnessa calling someone uneducated, how educated of you! I'm surprised an old hag like you was able to muster up a comment on these here internets. But I'll stop, I should respect Braiden[sic] because he's a 1998 DAYTIME EMMY award winner, how uneducated of me to not be be in awe of this mans body of mediocre work.

December 26, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • afrank

All I have to say is that you can go up to pretty much anyone on the street and have them know who 'NPH' is, not even Neil Patrick Harris, however, myself along with a slew of others I'm sure needed to google Eric Braeden and then went oh....'that guy? ...hm'

December 26, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Chuck Anderson

Wasn't Eric Braeden originally known as Hans Gudegast who starred on the 1960's show about WW2 called Rat Patrol?

December 20, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • tvbug

yes, he did. He is a fine actor who has dominated Y&R for many years as one of the best of the best.. He's one of those that you love to hate.

December 20, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • AlienAnessa

Totally concur, tvbug, Braeden was a complete class act on Y&R, and has been in a smathering of other quality things.

December 20, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  11. LOL

No-one messes with Victor Newman. LOL!!!

December 20, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Evel Kneivel

Two queens, one old and one young in an Internet slap fight.

December 20, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Yeah, Shut It!

NPH is hugely hilarious, and furthermore, I've never heard of whoever that other old fellow is, and even FURTHERmore, who isn't fiercely protective of HIMYM? It's funnier than funny and it's better off without that dude-diva's two lines!

December 20, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Be Quiet

I like how the soap opera guy tries to act like he doesn't know who NPH is...give me a break! Harris is far more famous and successful than some soap opera idiot.

December 20, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |