Celebs chime in on DADT repeal
December 20th, 2010

Celebs chime in on DADT repeal

On Saturday, the Senate made the historic decision to repeal “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,” which led to plenty of celebrities tweeting their excitement and patriotic pride.

“Modern Family’s” Jesse Tyler Ferguson wrote, "Stepping closer to Equality! Good Job America!!!! Don't Ask Don't Tell closer to being on the 'Remember-how-crazy-it-was-when...' list!"

Meanwhile, Kathy Griffin tweeted “FINALLY! Equality IS coming" in response to a follower asking her to talk about the news, and then tweeted another: "Reflecting on a historic weekend in fight for equality. Our national security & humanity will be stronger without #DADT."

Pop star Katy Perry hopped on her contemporary Pink’s Twitter celebration train, tweeting, “SUPPORTING ALL OUR TROOPS!” RT @Pink: Congrats 2 US!!! REPEAL of DADT & 17 years of allowing Human Rights Violations. There's hope after all."

Ellen DeGeneres wrote, “Thank you Senators for pushing us one step closer towards full equality,” while Lady Gaga, who rallied for the repeal of DADT, chimed in as well.

“Can't hold back the tears + pride," Gaga wrote. "We did it!! Our voice was heard + today the Senate REPEALED DADT. A triumph for equality after 17 YEARS."

The repeal, ushered in with a 65-31 margin, will reverse the military's ban on gay men and women openly serving among their ranks.

Filed under: Celebrities

1. LoJenk

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk3yTXFkyiY&w=640&h=390]

December 21, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Matt

It's about bloody time. I was discharged under this terrible policy, and am considering re-enlistment. Special thanks to the 65 equality-minded senators who voted for equality in our armed services.

December 21, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  3. diana

The most important thing here is the protection and security of America and All of her people. Shame on these celebs for trying to put more division in this country which ultimately means more cash for them. I am proud of our country and servicemen.

December 21, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  4. i know

@ Alex who said that one day being "gay will be just as accepted as being black". I understand the point you're trying to make, but with all due respect those two things are not wholly comparable examples. I do understand they are not social and civil rights issues, so if that's your sole application of the analogy, then it's more plausible. Additionally, you MUST not have seen the comments underneath the "Little Wayne" charitable gift story that was posted recently and the Salma Hayek article. This country is *FAR* from being over race issues. And, I wonder how a lot of those comments got past the so-called moderators. Highly offensive, just as some of these comments are!

December 21, 2010 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. Amazed

This whole country has gone gay crazy. It really is sad and sick the way that is all people care about anymore. I don't see how anyone can compare being black to being gay. You don't have the choice of your skin color but you can choose to be normal and not gay. I know that alot of people will try to hate on me for this comment but God will forgive all you have to do is repent and come to him. The kingdom of Heaven is waiting for you and Jesus has prepared a place for you. Don't pass it up follow the laws of the Lord and he will forgive you of your sin all you have to do is ask.

December 21, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Michael

You know, you are quite the ignorant hypocrite. Ignorant because you are devastatingly uninformed. And hypocrite because you judge others despite believing that only your God shall judge. Frankly, I would like nothing to do with your god if promoting hate over love is what he has taught you. I think I'd rather worship the porcelain God, but only if She were made of gold.

I am guessing you are Republican, so when you get caught in the closet (or airport bathroom) yourself, I hope you are prepared to repent.

December 21, 2010 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amazed

Michael....I may be ignorant and a hypocrite in your eyes but the only eyes the matter are Gods. My God is not full of Hate he is full of compassion and that is why he will forgive if you just ask. I am so sorry that you feel that I am being judgemental in everyones beliefs and eyes if they don't believe what you believe they seem to be judgemental and ignorant. Again sorry you feel that way and my GOd Bless you abundently(probably spelled that wrong).

December 22, 2010 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  6. Former JarHead

Wait now to see how much of an increase their is in Violence among military personal who are in combat arms units. I know when I was in the Marines, one Marine was beaten to death because he let it out he was gay, another hung himself in the shower stall because he couldn't take the hazing....Everyone can't be watched all the time...These are young men with LOTS of testosterone taught to kill the enemy, now you throw in their rage against gays into the mix....This is not going to be pretty.

December 21, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. Mark S

I'm in the military, I'm straight, and I'm glad that it was repealed. I don't understand why there's an article about what celebs think on this issue. Shouldn't the more interesting view come from how the military is affected by this? The military isn't specifically asked its opinion on different movies when they are released or on the results of the Academy Awards. Celebs have the right to their opinion just like the rest of us so I'm not saying that their opinions are not valid. They just don't seem to be the ones really affected by this decision.

December 21, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Snoop

Celebrities need to shut the f up about political and social issues and just act. Most of them are worse people than the average American, but people are so blinded by their fame that they follow along blindly to whatever Lady Gaga or Bono say without questioning anything.

I dont care about DADT one way or the other.. celebrities need to shut up and act or sing or whatever they do, and leave the political commentary to people who have some clue what they're talking about.

December 22, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bob saget

In chess you send in the _____ first

*Fill in the blank

December 21, 2010 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  9. big Al

One more reason that the Democratic party is not unified! Bill Clinton signed DADT into law and now Obama is signing it back out. They have a hidden agenda on this issue. Straight from the Democratic Iowa caucus," We have too many chiefs and not enough Indians". Politics is legal lying! What a party will do and say to get a certain group to vote for them! They have no shame! FYI I'm a 49 year old Disabled American Veteran that votes with their conscience and not with the crowd!

December 21, 2010 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  10. sue

Funny how all the people on here complaining about the opinions of these actors, ect. are only on here because they read the article.

December 21, 2010 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  11. Wickedpirate

First off. good for them. they are showing their support for a good cause. second, historicaly look at the spartan army. the greek army. then look back at recent wars. Rock Hudson for example. he was gay, yet serve in the army and fought for this country. all of the men and women, gl or straight are fighting and sometimes giving their lives so you con cash them. real patriotic of you. nice job you guys.

December 21, 2010 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Remember, folks that are/were gay could not be open. Your Rock Hudson example is a perfect example. The general public never knew he was gay until the end of his life.

Also, the relationship dynamic MUST be taken into account.

December 21, 2010 at 8:22 am | Report abuse |
  12. WJA

Hey, I'm a retired military officer and it's great that the ban was repealed, particularly because some very talented young men and women had a much tougher time in the military with the restrictions. I'm just perplexed why all these celebs are taking credit for this??? It's really none of their business, none of them really understand the true issues at stake and none are planning to serve. Why do these publicity seeking yahoos who are like ticks sucking the financial blood of our young people even given the platform to comment on issues like these?? If they really want to help society, let them donate a big chunk of their money toward feeding the poor or education (ala Bill Gates). Get off the stage and do some real work, will ya'?

December 21, 2010 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jeff

As both a former Army man and is a very socially liberal person, I myself do have some resevations with this. I think that in the military, they need to impose some very strict "Relationship" guidelines to go along with the repel. You cannot have 2 male or female service members within the same unit, company or platoon etc.. engaged in a relationship that may in fact be detrimental to the unit. It would change the dynamic in a critical situation. EX: in a firefight, a service member may react outside of his /her boundries in order to save or defend his "Partner" etc... The same situation could occur if a gay service member 'makes advances" on another service member. It may cause a source of tension within the unit. The Repeal is a good thing without question BUT, MUST be structured & orderly. I hope I've articulated my concerns correctly. I AM HAPPY the repeal is occurring.

December 21, 2010 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  14. Joe

So happy Ellen and GaGa "Did it" so now other people can serve for them...

December 21, 2010 at 7:16 am | Report abuse |
  15. Chantilly

Who really cares what all the celebrities think and say on any topics!!! They do not run this country!!! As soon as people come to realize that the better off this country will!!!

December 21, 2010 at 7:08 am | Report abuse |
  16. Richard

Even if they do find out down the road this is a mistake, the liberals will attempt to white-wash any negative results, as per their P.C. handbooks.

December 21, 2010 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
  17. Bel

And, on the 8th day God said, "You figure it out".

December 21, 2010 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
  18. jaime

ok..ok congrats to all the gay community, now as a reward you get a free one way ticket to the World Cup of Soccer in QATTAR 2022. good luck.

December 21, 2010 at 5:45 am | Report abuse |
  19. Lobo74

Just send in Kathy Griffin with her flabby freckly bony ass and boom that's it . War over !

December 21, 2010 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
  20. A

They are pretending that they are fighting for the freedom too

December 21, 2010 at 4:32 am | Report abuse |
  21. Charles4

U know you're a redneck if you put a 5 year old in a microwave an clame you're a phyic

December 21, 2010 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
  22. Michael

I find myself consistently appalled and horrified by the amount of uneducated individuals with surprisingly strong, yet uninformed, opinions. If the opinions of celebrities mean so little, than what motivated you to comment on this article? Celebrities have a unique, powerful opportunity to let their voice be heard and to gain awareness for issues close to their heart. If this were untrue, none of you would be reacting so strongly. Think before you waste others' time with your opinion: it would provide a much more substantial and credible argument. Finally, I must note my appreciation for those who do think before they type because it seems absolutely everyone has an opinion these days.

December 21, 2010 at 3:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Austin

I think most of the people commenting on here are just trolling so don't pay it any mind.

December 21, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
    • nrsrrox

So you're saying if we aren't famous our opinion doesn't matter and we're wasting time commenting? Why are you commenting then? I'm pretty sure you aren't famous.

December 21, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

I admit my insomnia evoked some strong words. However, it is tiring (pun intended) sifting through some of the commentary. Indeed, everyone has an opinion, but it wouldn't hurt to express it more eloquently. Congrats to America, to the celebrities who helped bring attention to the issue, and to all who fought to fix.

December 21, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  23. jake

I prepped and completed the survey. The decision was made long before announced

December 21, 2010 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  24. alex

I think only real service members should decide and I guarantee most gays won't come out while in the military. The point why this is a big deal to us "normal" americans is because its one step closer to being recognized as being human. If being gay is the worst "sin" you've done then you're about 10 steps above most people posting here. I think its funny how the gays are the ones who everyone is against but as we approach xmas time stores can't even say merry christmas in case they offend someone else. Blacks are equal but it wasn't that long ago they were in the same position so I find it hilarious when minorities spend time hating the newest minority. One day being gay will be just as accepted as being black and we'll all be hating the next big thing. But I guess that's just the American way.

December 21, 2010 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  25. Nat

sorry but i would find it difficult to do my job if i was standing next to a man wearing makeup and stuff to look like a woman..

December 21, 2010 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
    • danger

Are you serious?

December 21, 2010 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
    • adam

this comment is so absurd it has to be fake, no one is that big of an idiot

December 21, 2010 at 2:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Ray

That's a "man wearing make-up and stuff to look like a woman" who has been trained to mercilessly and without thinking twice about it, f*ing KILL you with his bare hands, if need be, in defense of his nation.

I'll take the guy dressed as a woman who's not afraid of catching "teh gay" defending me than the guy who's worried someone might be looking at his ass instead of down the barrel at an enemy.

December 21, 2010 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  26. Mgood

Now Military will have to hire all lifestyles and disabilities. How about a blind squad leader, deaf RE0, push your battle buddy into Astan in his or her new transgender friendly Combat Wheelchair! I dont tell people how to run their industry, but many feel like they have a need to tell me how mine should be run? To qoute a great American Good Grief!

December 21, 2010 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  27. Don

I have served in the military and am working with them right now in Iraq and DADT repeal isnt my conern. The fact of the matter is going to be cost of this. Gays are going to have to have separate showers and locker rooms and sleeping quarters just like non gay men and woman have to do. What about submarines ? Took how many years and cost to have our subs modified so females could work in that field with stress by having privacy ? Things have to be in place like this before the repeal can be made active. Sorry if doing so lets people know who the gay people and they think it is unfair so be

December 21, 2010 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  28. goober

Gays have served for years. No one needs to know they are gay because it shouldn't matter if everyone is mature, dignified, and follows procedures. As an Army wife I showed respect to the military and standards as well. We didn't display lots od affection while he was in uniform. Good luck to those this will apply to. Just do your job and time will tell.

"Never leave your buddy's behind"

December 21, 2010 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  29. steve

It seems as if most of you do not understand why gays were not allowed in the military. It is not because they are gay. It is the same reason women are not allowed on the front lines. If you and the person you love either male or female are in a combat situation you are more likely to do more to protect them than the rest of the squad. This will cause complications with the mission. If you have you your spouse and a friend that is in harms way the majority of people will try to save their spouse over their friend. Now should they be allowed in remf mos' yes they should but not combat mos'.

December 21, 2010 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  30. Nat

Celebs should have no say so ..only those who serve,have served or have any thing to do with the military should have a say...honestly they are the ones dealing with it...u want to see human right violations look@ sharia laws in other countries....you won't do that because it would mean you would offenf muslims and it wouldnt boost your ego to do so..

December 21, 2010 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  31. NobodySpecial

I wonder where all the people who say "Chuck Norris will take care of it!" are? You think Chuck Norris will kick and punch his way into this repeal?

December 21, 2010 at 12:11 am | Report abuse |
  32. nrsrrox

Why are we caring about gay people getting their feelings hurt when we have bigger issues like the recession? I think the Don't Ask Don't Tell rule was great! Nobody needs to know! The government needs to smarten up. Stupid democrats are too busy keeping the gays happy to be focusing on what's important.

December 21, 2010 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  33. ASH

It is really sad that so many people posting here are being so silly. This is a time for celebration, and that's all these celebrities were doing. Shame on you all for turning their ecstatic internet posts into something negative. None of them are claiming to have done this themselves. Lady Gaga used the word "we" as in "our country", not "we" as in "my fans and I". Anyone that has ever seen a Lady Gaga interview knows that she is very outspoken on gay rights issues. Probably moreso than most any other celebrity. She was just happy. Let her be.

December 21, 2010 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  34. Richard

Why would anyone care what a celebrity thinks about the repeal of DADT. Slow news day.

December 21, 2010 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  35. Thunder Struck

I just understand the gay think. Gays are coming out of the woodwork like no tomorrow. All this gay and bi thing is just sickening. This is one reason why this world is going to hell. I know many is going to have something to say about my comment but I honestly don't care what you think and i won't be checking in to see if you wrote anything. Its your a$$ that's going to be burning in hell for that lifestyle.

December 20, 2010 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • danger

Divorce is more of a sin. So is eating shellfish. And pork. I bet you like Bacon, don't you? Filthy sinner...you, and most of the population. Filthy sinners. See you in hell, amigo.

December 21, 2010 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  36. ServiceMember

correction: They're

December 20, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  37. ServiceMember

who cares what celebrities weigh in and say. Their not the ones in uniform defending our way of life... SMH

December 20, 2010 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  38. A

As a current AF member, I feel like celebrities need to keep their mouths shut on this topic. Until they've served in the Armed Forces AND deployed they should have no opinion in DADT.

December 20, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  39. johnmac

Sure am glad that I won't be in a foxhole anymore

December 20, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  40. hosedawg

i retired after 20 years and worked behind a desk, so get a clue "cyphonix" who is honorable. gays need to go. let repeal the repeal!

December 20, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Jose

It would mean more IF any of these "DIPS" served.

I guess you have to be there to understand the ENTIRE situation.

It's passed ; OK lets' see if it really works now.

December 20, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  42. ME

Who gives a crap what these idiots think. They get paid to sing or act not give political opinions. Remember when that reported asked Tiger Woods about world politics? He said "i'm a golfer, not a politician. If you have a golf question I'd be glad to answer it."

December 20, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  43. RIALgal

Don't knock all show business folks - and that seems to be the "celebrities" you're all talking about here. After all, some of them have been our governors, representatives, senators, and, yes, even presidents.

December 20, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Chelsea

While I am glad to see DADT repealed (I remember the first time I met someone affected by it. "You mean they actually enforce that? Really?" I was flabbergasted.) I do not envy anyone in the military right now who is going to have to go through the massive overhaul it will take to implement it. Talk about a logistical nightmare!

December 20, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  45. cyphonix

I'm happy for the armed forces, they will finally get some sense of style ond fashion on their look.

December 20, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vezalo

That's what every soldier should care about while under fire. The fact that you talk about "fashion" means you really have no idea what our men and women go through on the front. Here's some military "fashion" I'd like to see. Better body armor. Better equipment. Better weapons. I don't care if gays serve, I care about our fallen and wounded warriors.

December 21, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Red Jackal

@Vezalo, wow, serious much? chill out.
      I think he was being sarcastic/funny

December 21, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  46. chris

I have more respect for a gay man who volunteers to serve their country in an infantry unit, than for a man who sits on his ass hiding behind a computer and bashes gays.

December 20, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  47. erica

Agreed above..im praying the military didnt hand out any unneed folded flags. as the wife of an army ranger...this law was passed way too prematurely

December 20, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  48. danger

Waaaaah waaaaaaaaaah!!!!! I hate it when celebrities are for things like dadt and peta. Wahhhhh wahhhhh. If you haven't served your country....wahhhhhhh!!!!!! All of this whining!! Wahhhhhhh I hate celebrities wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Bunch of whiny ass derelicts

December 20, 2010 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  49. EyeH8Obama

You know what's really funny? Not a single one of these celebrities know ANYTHING about the military. They need to just shut the #ell up.

December 20, 2010 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  50. jaime

Katy griffins ellen degeneratade lady gaga, Barny franks, AC360, Ophra, keith olberman,& 3/4 of San Fransisco population including Nancy Pelosi of course MUST to be send as a meat cannon the first battle group to test it...1,2,3 testing testing...will be nice, ahhh can't wait to start counting how many bodybags are will coming out of the marines dorms & showers, just don't blame them, itis a big whole the gays itself dig it.stay tuned.

December 20, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Chandler02

Anyone who has fought for me and my country should get treated with the same respect. It is absurd to knock celebrities simply because they support the idea that human beings should be treated like they are human beings. Gay or straight, a soldier puts their life on the line for our country. A gay life is no less of a sacrifice than a straight one.

December 20, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  52. jaba

The military is about sacrifice, giving of yourself for the greater good; not deciding to join on your own personal terms. Every service member readily and freely accepts the fact that they will give up certain liberties and freedoms that every citizen has. Military members are held to a higher standard and not only have common law to follow, but also the uniform code of military justice. Repealing this law is now creating "classification" of individuals. Its a shame that for purposes of political posturing and apparently "celebrity" endorsements, we have now decided to make the military a microcosm of society. Let's not forget exactly what the mission of the armed forces is.

December 20, 2010 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  53. decoratedvet

Yeah, the celebs did it...keep fooling yourself. Everyone in the military was asked to complete the survey, and ya know what? It's only the extremes on either side that respond. It's political timing, because it's not cool to be a "gay hater." The leaders in the military have known it's coming for the last 5 years, and we've had time to adapt. You keep your "change.". I'll keep going, knowing that he'll be out of office in a couple of years.

December 20, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Lori

Lady Gag Gag needs to go far away. She has saturated the media. I am sick of her. I just don't see the talent in her. Kathy Griffith is weird and makes fun of gay celebrities. Her hypocrisy is mind boggling.

December 20, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • mbigger318

One has to wonder... have you ever seen Griffin standup? She is all about her gay fans as we make up most of her fanbase...

December 20, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  55. mnman

Why r people so rude and negative in here. Have you ever seen lady GaGa make a public statement about DADT? The girl is clever and she is truely sincere And cares. Give them a break.

December 20, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  56. MissAnthrope

Please post my comment, "mods". And not this one!

December 20, 2010 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  57. chris

Did the military not teach you common english?

December 20, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Xanatos

All of these CELEBRATIES really don't have a friggin clue. They have NEVER served in any branch of the military and don't have any right what so ever to speak on behalf of any gay or lesbian service member. They truly get on my nervers. I am a retired GAY service member and I can tell you first hand that I didn't need anyone to spreak up for me then and certainly not some media whoring actors, singers or what ever. Get out of the way and let those who it effects directly do it for themselves.

December 20, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sailor24

Barely half of the Senate have served. Do the half that haven't served have more of a right than celebrities?

December 20, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Proud2serve

Neither do you have a clue because you cannot even spell!

December 21, 2010 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
  59. Superhiro

Can we... like please stop asking celebrities what they think about serious issues? Not that I think DADT shouldn't be repealled but c'mon folks, this is a minor issue next to that um... what was it called? Oh yea, the RECESSION. This country's going broke and I'm supposed to care about gay people serving in the military? Sorry, no sale.

December 20, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Srsly

The recession can take backseat to an American citizen's civil rights any day, in my book. I'd rather my country be bankrupt financially then morally.

December 21, 2010 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
  60. cara

maybe these celebrities won't ever serve, but don't you think they've had some kind of influence on their fans? they have every right to feel the same way about certain subjects, just as you and i do. the point is, we should be celebrating this occasion, not bashing the celebrities that have spoken out and informed people about whats going on. jealous much???

December 20, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vsaxena

Agreed. Most of these illiterate, uneducated morons are so full of hate, it's disgusting. I quite fancy Lady Gaga and the others, especially when compared to true celebrity FILTH like Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck.

December 21, 2010 at 12:12 am | Report abuse |
  61. blurg

more money wasted on sensitivity briefings. oh boy

December 20, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • mbigger318

If people were raised to love everyone and avoid hate, there would be no need for sensitivity trainings. Thank your elders, the media, and countless religious groups for that... not the gays

December 20, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • blurg

yes i would to live in society where i am told what to think and to do.

December 20, 2010 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • cam

For heavens sakes don't you EVER blame the gays / gay community for anything lest you be flamed (no pun intended) /sarcasm

December 21, 2010 at 5:17 am | Report abuse |
  62. djmc32

Lol,lady gaga is an idiot.do you think for one second these famous types would speak out in a negative way,even if it was truly how they felt?and risk alienating the gay and lesbian audience?no way.

December 20, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  63. erica

Amen american

December 20, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  64. DDay

So sick of these inflated egos thinking they're worth a s**t. I'm happy for the gay community, I just wish the celebrities would shut their mouths. Even more importantly, I wish people would stop caring about what they say.

December 20, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Jamesjoyce

Ellen, lady gaga, kathy griffin? How progressive.

December 20, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Louie Lobo

As a member of the armed forces, I was invited to participate in the DoD survey regarding DADT earlier this year. I (and a majority of others) supported the repeal, saying that it may not be easy, but it was worth doing. I'm glad that the voices of so many servicemembers was heard by the right people.
    DADT wasn't something that was being rabidly defended by most of the military. Quite the opposite, actually.
    I guess now it's time for millions of people who had nothing to do with this repeal and no intention of ever joining the military to celebrate and take credit for something that will never affect them.
    You know what? It was still worth doing!

December 20, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Louie Lobo

Should be: "servicemembers WERE heard."
      Color me mortified, and please don't tell my 3rd grade teacher, Mr. Hoover, about my grammatical lapse!

December 20, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Sad American

Who cares what these ignorant twits think? They have never served, nor are likely to have the nads to serve in the military. For that matter, what have they done to serve humanity in any respect–not a damn thing! When douching becomes mandated by congress, then open your pie holes; until then shut up about things which you know nothing.

All that said, it was just a matter of time til the twinkies were allowed to serve openly. good for them. Now I'll tell them just as I told those straight soldiers under my command–keep it in your pants while on duty, serve your country with honor.

December 20, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Samiam04151

As an Active Duty military member, I am happy to see that fellow members will now be able to serve freely. EFF what the celebs who have never and will never serve our country... stick to what you are half way descent at... singing and dancing onstage or whatever. I am pretty sure that the polls of our current military population which were in favor of relinquishing DADT had more to do with this than these jerks.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS

December 20, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Angie

And they will continue to do so... Long before you ever served and long after you're gone... Get real and start acting like a true leader by showing the care and respect for all your troops who have made you look successful because, after all, we all know who really does all the work. As a leader of Soldiers myself at least I'm able to recognize the service they've provided for generations.

December 21, 2010 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
    • CHEF GIRL

"The twinkies" as you call shows your ignornance–people like you are why these fine americans felt the need to hide in the first place

December 21, 2010 at 3:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Nicole

I know this article was in the marquee section, but really I would have been more interested in this story had CNN took the time to talk to the people that serve. I was pleasantly shocked to find out that military members were asked what they thought what they wanted. I am even more shocked to discover that most of them supported the the repeal. I think that it's ok to hear what celebrities think in the marquee section but come on CNN stop relying on twitter for your information and try actually interviewing those involved with the story.

December 21, 2010 at 5:33 am | Report abuse |
  68. Name*Seriously?

Yeah, it wasnt passed because it was right, it was passed because of Lady Gaga. Stupid arrogant twit

December 20, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chandler02

Yeah, I think you are taking Lady Gaga's post waaaaaaay too literally. She meant "we", as in the American people. She isn't saying "I did it!". I am really confused why people are hating on the celebs for being happy about the end of a discriminatory policy. Of course they can have an opinion and share it...they are CITIZENS!

December 20, 2010 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  69. mbigger318

Its about time. The inequality in America is getting sickening!

December 20, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  70. nintendowii10

I am extra nerd raging cause lady gaga did it all by herself

December 20, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  71. cheefsfury

ITS A TRAP THEY ARE GONNA SEND ALL THE GAYS IN FIRST AND CALL IT OPERATION RAINBOW SHIELD DONT DO IT

December 20, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fro

Nice. Give em rainbow cammies too!

December 20, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • T3chsupport

They'd probably do a lot better, as they wouldn't be nearly as concerned if there were guys checking out their butts as straight men apparently are, and might be able to focus on the mission instead of all of those showers and time in the bunk!

December 21, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
    • vampireweekend

LMAO

December 21, 2010 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Rupaul Mandingo

I don't know what the problem is. This was repealed by the ymca years ago and look how well that turned out.

December 21, 2010 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Lobo74

Just send Kathy Griffin in first with that flabby freckly friggin ass of hers . Boom war over !

December 21, 2010 at 4:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Moe Smith

You realize that many times they do send "them" in first? You're so ignorant, you dont even know... idiots... allow me to enlighten you to the COLD TRUTH: The Marines have THE HIGHEST PERCENTAGE of gays of any branch in the military. That's right boys and girls, your stereotyped "Men among Men" are Men OF Men. You don't have to like it. You dont even have to believe it. Bottomline, there are more gays in the Marine Corp than any other branch. The repeal of DADT doesn't open some proverbial flood gate of waiting gays who will be storming the bases. They are already there. It's simply no longer against the law for them to admit that they are gay. Plain. Simple. Period. End of story. Game over. thanks for playing. Move the fnck along...

December 21, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |