Is there no justice on 'Big Bang Theory'?
December 17th, 2010

Is there no justice on 'Big Bang Theory'?

Full disclosure: I am a huge "Archie" comic book fan, which means I have something in common with Penny's on-again dude, Zack.

He's that cute, lovable doofus who is so good at being... you know, cute and lovable. He's back in the picture – if only for the New Year's holiday – so Penny doesn't have to be alone.

I have to say, I really like this kid. He is the perfect dizzy foil to our geniuses. When the guys make fun of him for being an idiot (mostly cause he's a bit of an idiot) he manages to come off as both sweet and hapless. Those are the characteristics which made me fall in love with Sheldon, Leonard and the gang in the first place.

Their desire to make amends after they hurt Zack's feelings by inviting him to the comic book store is how we learn that Zack has a love for "Archie" comics, which make the perfect read for his weekend, ummm, bathroom sessions. (TMI, Zack. TMI.)

But seeing him in the store got the guys thinking. They realize they might be able to finally win the group costume award at the comic book store's New Year's Eve Party if they dress up as the Justice League and enlist Zack as Superman. The only problem is that Superman won't go without his lady, Penny, as Wonder Woman.

Allow me to say I was just as amused by Sheldon as The Flash as I was disturbed by Raj's enthusiastic desire to dress as Wonder Woman when Penny didn't want to. Sure Raj wasn't loving being Aquaman, but dude, seriously?

This episode was a throwback to the days when it was all about the ensemble and the emotional tension between Penny and Leonard – and I liked it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a Bernadette and an Amy Farrah Fowler thrown in every once in awhile, but sometimes it's just nice to get back to your roots.

For me, this show continues to thrill – though there seemed to be no justice in its lack of a SAG nomination Thursday by the Screen Actors Guild. But that's another blog.

What say you Bangers? Was Thursday night's show good for you too? And just for fun, a little video of "Big Bang" star Simon Helberg:

1. harmamae

Yes, Zack fit in surprisingly well! I thought he'd be more of a throw-away character.

December 23, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. heidi

I loved that Zach was a shameless Archie fan, even plugging the new storylines and such. Loved that Raj went and looked at the Archies with him!!

December 18, 2010 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  3. DanMan97

Agreed. Penny has been out of the picture quite a bit lately, due to Amy Farrah-Fowler...and that needs to change. Sheldon is funny enough on his own - bringing in his female counterpart is funny once in a while, but if she's around all the time, the show loses the fun...and the more geek-nongeek tension there is, the funnier the show is. If the shows continue to be like this past one, good things are on the horizon.

December 18, 2010 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. Robert

My family and I love this show. Last nights episode was very funny. I hope they keep Penny's boyfriend because he adds a nice counter character to the genius group across the hall from Penny. I think they can really work this angle for a while.

December 17, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jim Pook

I love TBBT. This last episode is one of the best in some time. While I did not like the Zack character at first, in this episode, he was perfect. The new tension between Leonard and Penny is great. I can only hope that it is leading to them getting back together as a couple in the near future. The writers had some great lines in this episode, and the final Flash bit was fantastic.

Keep up the great work, TBBT writers, producers and actors!

December 17, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. LisaFranceCNN

Not bad at all Sasha. I do the same thing!

December 17, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. sasha

Loved the episode. Love showing that bullying can happen from all angles and anyone can become an unwitty bully when they stop taking other people's feelings into consideration. Also loved the excessive flash speedy knocking. Had to pause the old dvr to catch my breath. Hey is it bad that every time I hear someone knock three times I want to say Penny now too?

December 17, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • liz

Yep, and this is my daughter..knock knock knock, Mom; knock knock knock, Mom

December 17, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |