December 16th, 2010

Winona Ryder: Mel Gibson made anti-Semitic remarks years ago

Winona Ryder is claiming that Mel Gibson’s history of allegedly spewing hateful remarks goes back much further than a run-in with a police officer in 2006.

The actress, who’s currently playing a washed-up ballerina in “Black Swan,” told GQ a story about the troubled actor in the middle of her interview.

Read the full interview with Winona Ryder

"I remember, like, fifteen years ago, I was at one of those big Hollywood parties. And he was really drunk. I was with my friend, who's gay. He made a really horrible gay joke,” Ryder said of Gibson.

“And somehow it came up that I was Jewish. He said something about 'oven dodgers,' but I didn't get it. I'd never heard that before. It was just this weird, weird moment. I was like, 'He's anti-Semitic and he's homophobic.' No one believed me!"

More photos of Winona Ryder in GQ

Ryder also touched upon what it feels like to get a little older in Hollywood. It's not lost on her that she, at 39, was cast to play the aging ballerina while Natalie Portman, at 29, landed the lead, literally and figuratively.

"I thought it was a cool parallel," Ryder says of her "Swan" role. "Being replaced by the young thing. I know that definitely happens in Hollywood. It's harder to find good roles, and suddenly there's new girls. I'm at that age I've been warned my whole life about."

Filed under: Celebrities • Mel Gibson

1. Roderick Comoletti

LMFAO began their career in 2006 as part of the electro house club scene in Los Angeles, which at the time featured DJ/producers like Steve Aoki and Adam Goldstein. The duo started building a local buzz through their shows and radio play.[6] Once they had recorded some demos, Redfoo's best friend will.i.am introduced them to Interscope head Jimmy Iovine who gave the green light for them to be signed to Interscope/will.i.am Music.'.;"

Look at our personal blog page too
    <http://homelifestylejournal.com

June 2, 2013 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. Pat W.

Mel Gibson is my favorite actor and Braveheart is my favorite movie!! Wynona is a theif and now a liar. I'd screw her just to hurt her. Liberals hate Gibson but love Roman Polanski the child rapist!!! Go figure!!!

December 17, 2010 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. victoria Morales

i think you shouldn't listen because it only hurts when it's true and i really don't think it is:)

December 17, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. mike

You can make jokes about polocks chines but omg your anti semetic if u make jokes about jews light n up

December 17, 2010 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mel Gibson

Wow cnn runs their web blogs, just like they run the TV items they have the nerve to call 'news'. By selectively show ONLY what THEY want you to or believe you should see.

December 17, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  6. The Fish

Give Mel a break! All of us has screwed up at one time or another. Let's be human again, give someone next to you a wet, sloppy kiss and say "Merry Christmas a**hole"!

December 17, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Anita F.N. Drink

@banasy
    re: @Tom: Is your last name Gibson,also?
    LMFAO yes! Actually it's Gibson-light : The same taste, slander & mentality as the original w/only 1/2 the calories, alcohol content & vulgarity!

December 17, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. pete

What's cool about this is that since she's washed up we'll soon c her in a pict showin her tatas! Can't wait! }:-)

December 17, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Jewbag

Can't we all concentrate our hate on the Muslims instead of us Jewbags?? Love the brown Beaver Winona!!!....see u at the Ranch!!

December 17, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mel.Gibson

I will be practicing my back hand be-atch slap with Wynona at the Bunny Ranch this weekend. See you all there and as always, Happy Holidays (unless you are Ju-ish)! Mel

December 17, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mel.Gibson

Happy Holidays (unless you're a Jiggaboo)! Mel.

December 17, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Anita F.N. Drink

re: Mel gave us Passion of Christ……
    » Right rocket scientist which could not have been more crammed with more Anti-Semitic messages short of casting Adolph Hitler in it.

December 17, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Ron Jeremy

She should make a movie with me..I want to see this pretty brown beaver of hers.

December 17, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. the_dude

the real shocker here is winona landed a role. since she is airing out dirty laundry why didnt she mention her shoplifting?

December 17, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Winona Ryder

I will be working at the Bunny Ranch in N.V. all month long....Stop on by if you want to party with me!!

December 17, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Heathers

Mel Gibson and yo Moms can choke on my tampon

December 17, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  17. vlrlngls

Who cares about who says what about whom??? You are not any better by adding your 2 cents to the story of their lives. Watch their movies or don't..it won't make any difference.

December 17, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Mel.Gibson

I love pimp slappin' my woman when she gets out of line...I suggest you do the same. Happy Holidays, Mel.

December 17, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  19. the_dude

it funny she is playing a washed up entertainer. Art imitating life....

December 17, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  20. isaac

What's the word when the one who commit perjury, bigotry and religious discrimination happen to be a jew? Because they are not all saints. Just sayin'

December 17, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  21. robb

Wow...the lack of education in most of these posts is frightening! You idiots are the reason Mel is so popular, you eat it up!

December 17, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Pablo Hack

Party down!! Anti-sematics everywhere. There is so much prejudice in this country and the freedom of religion gives all of the fanatics the right to pop off and spread more and more hatred. People of all religions and races just can't get past their own insecurities and have to take it out on others. Time for more love...less hate. Booze it up!!

December 17, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  23. goober

@ Sheila Levine, I would too. But I do not drink alcohol.

I think Winona is aging gracefully and gets prettier all the time.

Mel is good looking and a great actor. If heaks a butt off the set it's not my problem.

December 17, 2010 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Hellbound

Mel is the man. He tells it like it is, and knows how a disobediant woman should be treated.

December 17, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Hellbound

Mel is the MAN. He tells it like it is, and he knows how to treat a woman the way GOD intended. Keep it up Mel. Screw all these Jew loving morons, and never lose sight of how much more significant we men are to woman in the eyes of GOD. Man came first for a reason.

December 17, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  26. shaqfuage

Why do jiggaboos stink?....So blind people can hate them too : )

December 17, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  27. shaqfuage

Why are Jiggaboos?

December 17, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  28. C. Shields by The Seashore

The reason Winona is speaking out about it now is because she just found out about Mel's behavior in the spotlight. Winona has never used the internet before so she is a little late to the dinner table. She still gets information by reading Britannicas and almunaics along with the occasional email on her Blackberry.

December 17, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Ed bailey

Every form of human ignorance is alive and sadly doing too well thank you. My astonishment is how they get to be rich actors, mayors, senators, and even more dangerous positions. In this sick world their philosophy can easily be used on them, when found, THEY SHOULD BE ELIMINATED!

December 17, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  30. mad max

LONG LIVE MAD MAX!!

December 17, 2010 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  31. Hollywood sucks

Said the shoplifter

December 17, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  32. bigbzc

That beaver is a porcupine!

December 17, 2010 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  33. bigbzc

Wynonas got a big brown beaver

December 17, 2010 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
  34. LOW LYF

HEHE MELS COOL I CANT BELIEVE I READ ALL THIS CRAP EITHER

December 17, 2010 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  35. Joe

I can't believe I read all this.

December 17, 2010 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  36. jenna

I agree with Tara she is so right!! We spend way to much time judging others knowing we all have some dirt in our own backyards!! Winonna has alwayz been weird anyway we all know this!!!!!!

December 17, 2010 at 7:33 am | Report abuse |
  37. tara

Look no one is perfect. Every one of us has said something or done somethhing to someone in a negative manor. It's not for us to judge them.. Each one of us will answer for our mistakes in the end...

December 17, 2010 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  38. portalpunk

Mel is a bigot, just like all you so called christians and you judgmental view of others.

December 17, 2010 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
  39. zanooba

Really, winona? You criticize mel for making anti-jewish comments but yet you change your own last name from Horowitz to Rider... What was your reason for that?

December 17, 2010 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
    • portalpunk

It's commonly done to be more marketable you moron. Do you alays ask such stupid questions that you should already know the answer to.

December 17, 2010 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  40. Elza

Hmmm, shoplifting some over priced hair bows vs. the hatred that led to the deaths of six million people...are we seriously arguing that what Winona did was on the same level as Mel's hate filled rants? Really? Personally, I didn't think the sadist-fest known as "The Passion" was a particularly good or inspiring film, but I would definitely put "Braveheart" in the "Top Ten" best films ever made list, whereas Ms.Ryder's work would not make that list. So what? Just because someone is gifted and talented does not mean that his/her actions should be excused. Look at that freak Roman Polanski who is one of the most gifted directors of all time. Should we give him a free pass? Or Woody Allen? The list goes on. You can enjoy someone's work without liking him/her as a person.
    I read the interview, and it doesn't seem that Winona was desperate for attention or trying to blacken Mel's name. It just came up. A high percentage of teen girls shoplift some time in their lives; are they to be reminded of it forever? The Christians on this page need to reread (or read for the first time) their Bibles about not judging others.

December 17, 2010 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  41. Mauser

poor mel leave him alone- i dont know why they always pick on him!

December 17, 2010 at 6:18 am | Report abuse |
  42. Emily in Swansea Ma

May you all have a great day!

December 17, 2010 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
  43. Carina

Ugghh...I'm so tired of all the Mel coverage. Oksana is a nut case and just torturing him. He is an a#* in public at times, but LET IT GO! Winona was clearly making a reference...she's not stupid. What would she gain by trying to bash him? NOTHING. She was probably asked of her opinion of the whole debacle and remembered the incident.

December 17, 2010 at 6:00 am | Report abuse |
  44. TeeJay

Oh puhleeze. Most of you are probably in your 30's and grew up with "shhhh, we don't say things like that. That's not nice!". And you all probably had an older relative that mommy or daddy didn't approve of because they said that kind of stuff and told those jokes. And you laughed when the folks weren't around. Facts are, people who grew up in the same time as Mel grew up hearing that stuff. Drunks often say things they wouldn't say if they were sober. Truth is, although it isn't PC it does get said, especially by older people. Mel just likes his booze, and it shows when he opens his mouth. Not excusing it, mind you, but understanding where it comes from, having grown up with an alcoholic. He's just high profile and gets attention when he makes a fool of himself, but isn't that what he gets paid the big bucks for? After all, would John Wayne have waxed his legs and put on pantyhose for a role? I think not. By the way, he was an alcoholic too.

December 17, 2010 at 5:02 am | Report abuse |
  45. Emily in Swansea Ma

This world it is filled with lots of men that are drunks and women beaters! Why don't they get the same treatment like famous people do! The world should know about men that think that they can beat on a women then get away with! Why only Mel for he is not thee only man to do harm to others.
    It is not ok to do wrong to people for no reason.

December 17, 2010 at 4:49 am | Report abuse |
  46. Winonas Riders

hello. Wait, did Mel Gibson try to Interrupt You, girl?

December 17, 2010 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
  47. Winonas Riders

Wait, did Mel Gibson try to Interrupt You, girl?

December 17, 2010 at 3:54 am | Report abuse |
  48. nemo

Mel is a tool

December 17, 2010 at 3:16 am | Report abuse |
  49. tink2324

They are both good actors and both have had their downfalls. Just let them be, who cares? We are still going to watch their movies.

December 17, 2010 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |

f the

December 17, 2010 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
  54. Chris thompson

Useless energy suckers.

December 17, 2010 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  55. Rina

Good stuff Tiffany, I agree with you!

December 17, 2010 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
  56. jaayay

Really ???? Since when has winona rider been relavant since her saks incident moron n btw maybe we should ask other relevant people what they think like James Van Der Beak ! Can people just leave that dude alone already sheesh !

December 17, 2010 at 12:43 am | Report abuse |
  57. Winner

Nice, real nice.
    I am from Petaluma and you embarrass me.
    Shut your mouth! You get caught stealing, point fingers and call names, then talk the poop. ENOUGH.
    Have some class and just act. Your opinion and your mouth is what sours you.
    Welcome to you first corporate review.
    Grow up.

December 17, 2010 at 12:34 am | Report abuse |
  58. Betts

I wd not even be reading this but...i'm riding the ferry from Lahaina to Molokai and am trying to waste time.
    This did that well.
    Pray 4 peace!

December 17, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  59. SassyPants

What we say about others tells more about ourselves than it does about the suject of our conversation.

December 17, 2010 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  60. jackie

I still find it so gosh darn hypocritical of Hollywood. They give free passes to child molesters and chronic drug abusers who make the studios money, but anti-semitism is the end of a career. I think I need the Cliff Notes on acceptable Hollyweird offenses.

December 17, 2010 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  61. Blah

@banasy
    You've seen a comment I just wrote in what bit, your lil bit?
    -mkay Gibson fess up, that's you isn't it? Lying about stuff only exposes you buddy. Now look, all the girls that wanted you just went gay.... so sad.

December 17, 2010 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  62. Blondie

Picking on Mel Gibson? Give me a break! He's an alcoholic and alcohol damages the brain and impairs intelligent thinking. He probably doesn't even remember half of what he says. He's a bigot and the alcohol has disinhibited him enough and skewed his jdgement so he just speaks off the top of his head, making himself look lame and stupid. That will not stop me from appreciating his movies however.He's behaving like a moron in private life but I still love him as an actor.

December 16, 2010 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  63. banasy

@Blahsy: of course nobody believes that it's an "isolated incident" when it comes to Mel's remarks regarding the Jews, alcohol-fueled or not. and it's also not any big shock that "one group hates another" in Hollywood, either. But subliminal scripting? Really? Is a grassy knoll involved too? Are you kidding me? Subliminal scripting, indeed.
    Actually, I've seen this as a comedy bit before...even the comic knew it was a joke!

December 16, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Freese42

I'd be honored to have the opportunity to have Mel Gibson punch me in the face. How many people can say they were duffed in the mug by Mad Max. Well, except for that one chick...LOL!

December 16, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Tara

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, Winona!

December 16, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Sg23

Isn't it time we as human beings stop hating each other

December 16, 2010 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  67. FLETCH

Was that before or after her prescription drug and shop-lifting bender???

December 16, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Name*Al

The most beautiful 39-year old I've ever seen. WOW!!!

December 16, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  69. purple girl

Mel Gibson is a prejudiced punk who uses alcohol to temporarily turn him into what he perceives to be a man so he can spew his venom on all the things he would like to say if he wasn't such a punk in the first place. He's to be ignored and he will go away.

December 16, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Godsmack Rules

I have to laugh at all the flockers out there that bad mouthing Mel. Everyone of you sorry a$$e$, including myself, made a racist comment one time another in our lives, so please stop trying to make it look like you so perfect and you love everyone! My God you people are so fake!

December 16, 2010 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Arr Vandolay

Isnt Mel from Austrslia? A country whose forefathers where a bunch of exiled prisoners / criminals? Enjoy forced retirement jerk. No one will miss you.
    -courtesy of Art Vandolay

December 16, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Blahsy

Ok, I'll go on
    – in Smallville (filmed in another northern don't move here location, Vancouver BC) the black best friend is the first to go (but they've since added, in the last "10" years, 1 or 2 "occasional" minorities & smallville is the sh!t so we'll get back to that)
    – in Next, the annoyingly scripted black federal agent is killed & his partner Julianne Moore looks at him as if she missed the chance herself
    – Star Wars finally answered the question posed by every sci-fi movie before it, "are there Black people in the future?" but the answer appeared to be "yes but they can't be trusted" dang you Billy Dee !
    So now there seems to be surprise that someone in hollywood has a hatred towards another group?
    Look, his dodger comment is beyond harsh but don't any of you for a minute believe that it's an "isolated" incident. The difference is this time it isn't subliminal scripting & was said blatantly & that was probably only the alcohol that unmasked his view.

December 16, 2010 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thaddious

I was waiting for someone like Banasy to attack. You can't expose the truth about their people without being attacked. But you don't know how deep the rabbit hole goes. It's not just film, all eurocentric literature and art portrays white as good and dark as bad both literally (your examples) and figuratively (themes). The best example is the bible, which adds racial connotations where the original texts did not. Research the Curse of Ham, which was used to justify slavery.
      I agree with all of your astute observations, but Pete left Smallville of his own accord to pursue film. Whether u agree with the noi or not, you should study Elijah Muhammad's work. You're on the right track. As you learn the truth about their people, you will see that it's neither subconscious nor subliminal. They think those thoughts openly and they don't see a problem saying it to whites or people who 'pass' like me. The only change is in what's socially acceptable, not human nature.

December 17, 2010 at 1:43 am | Report abuse |
  73. banasy

@kris: please enlighten me as to what Jew has been talking smack and I'll give an opinion then. Mel Gibson may be an awesome actor/director, but as a human being in the VERY public spotlight, not so much. HE is the one who needs to stfu and grow up!

December 16, 2010 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  74. buddy

Is mel a racist everyone

December 16, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  75. buddy

Everyone now knows mel gibsons a good for nothing idiot he f...kjing knows it he should not get awards at all and should be banned for being an actor and director. racist idiot . im white but mels white trash

December 16, 2010 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  76. kris

So i guess its all right for a jew to talk smack. Stfu and grow up. Mel gibson is awsome.

December 16, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  77. banasy

@Wayne Newton: I got it, dude. You're silly! :)
    @blahh/blah: Yes, please go on. You're entertaining as hell! I thought conspiracy theories were only in politics. My bad.
    @chuckles: I totally agree!
    @Tom: Is your last name Gibson,also?

December 16, 2010 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  78. AJ

Go grow-up, both of you! Ugh!

December 16, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
  79. music lover

braveheart

December 16, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  80. D

*yawn* yeah this isn't really news about Mel now...

December 16, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Godsmack Rules

Lol!! Who is she to judge! She got arrested for shoplifting! I'm guesing she forgot that.

December 16, 2010 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Rina

As if no one has ever heard or told a joke about someone else no matter what their race, size, class, etc. People make jokes, often about themselves or others, some people shouldn't be so sensitive. Everyone has their flaws. We need to stop setting such high expectations for celebrities, everyone makes mistakes, probles is that everyone hears about theirs. Merry Christmas, ya'll.

December 16, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Tom

I'd be more interested in knowing why Gibson is so anti-semitic. Is it because they control large parts of hollywood, the media, banking, wall street and our educational system? Never has such a small minority control of so much. It makes me extremely uncomfortable.

December 16, 2010 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • More Fox TV fear mongering

Do you have sleepless nights worrying about Christians running business too?
      Oh know! The Catholics are taking over Italian restaurants and bakeries across American.
      And the Indians are running our casinos!
      Oh wait. Our less expensive hotels are run by Asians.
      What will happen to us. We are surrounded!

December 17, 2010 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  84. laurie jean

I'm against anyone speaking out of hate, to turn around and claim they are 'christian' weather it's a gay person, someone of a different 'reliion' than i or just a complete opposite lifestyle of what may be considered 'normal'.....as a true christian, for the record i'd like to clarify something. any person who calls themselves a christian should KNOW that one of the most important messages he preached was to accept the person..... it doesn't mean you always agree with whatever they do or believe. it doesn't mean it's ok to partake in whatever it is they do or believe, but we are called NOT to judge but to show the love, forgiveness and gentle nature of Jesus. so with that, please do not put all us 'christians' together in one faceless mass of haters because of what one self professed 'christian' said. it's a shame that one person in hollywood could be considered a rep for all of us who do live in love.....i believe the jewish were the chosen of God. pls consider YOUR anti christian comments. we2r individuals

December 16, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  85. chuckles

The comments are WAY more entertaining than the article! Y'all are great in my books. CNN needs to hire 'commenters' at very least we're creative.

December 16, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Austin

What's all the fuss about? She's no better, maybe worse.

December 16, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Blah

hollywood is guilty of 2 BIG isms: subliminal racism & in your face nepotism. Zac Efrom has a black following after a HS bball movie so charlie st. cloud is scripted to punch out the only black around, (in another movie set in don't move here Washington) the only nonrecurring character/student in Twilight is the now scorned black guy, Blake Lively's (another young actress w/ a minority following) character has to "knock the black off" the nonexistent black girl in The Town, in Piranha, Resident Evil & Skyliner which lead died first (ok that was expected, but still), should I go on?

December 16, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  88. casey

I think we should never forget what mel said or continues to say. So as what we become is the ignorance we allowed. He is a monster! And those who share his views use him as an idol. Those need to be sought out and put where they belong! IN a very dark hole far away!

December 16, 2010 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anon.5

yeah, search them out and isolate them in camps. Maybe even experiment on them or put them in gas chambers. What a hypocrite.

December 17, 2010 at 3:03 am | Report abuse |
  89. Blahh

December 16, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Freese42

He's screwed up. That's for sure. But, he's still the man! COME ON MEL,ONE MORE MAD MAX! You can do and say all the crazy stuff you like! Its a win win for eveyone. And if I can land a part, that would sweet too. Mel for President!

December 16, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  91. cyphonix

Oksana said that Mel's penis was not hard enough to reach an orgasm.

December 16, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Blahh

problems in hollywood?
    never

December 16, 2010 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Masa D. Luffy

@Wayne Newton: What are you doing, Hitler didn't die from a heart attack, he died from swallowing a cyanide pill and then turned a gun on himself, then instructed to have his body creamated immediately upon death. Get out, you didn't even have a punch line.

December 16, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  94. saltio

Gibson got his uneducated beliefs from his father. What he believes is apparent in his passions of christ movie...bla bla bla!

December 16, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  95. realist

they both suck. lets be real they are no worse than any one of us. racists are everywere. white black grey yellow. same with thieves. mel just made the drunken decision to air his opinions when a camera was present. idiots

December 16, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  96. nyness

MEL IS BEING ROBBED IN BROAD DAYLIGHT AND EVERYBODY IS WATCHING! PEOPLE WANT MEL'S MONEY AND THEY ARE PICKING ON HIM LIKE NO ONE ELSE IS DOING ANYTHING! ONCE HE GOES TO CONFESSION HIS SIN IS FORGIVEN SO GET OVER IT! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

December 16, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  97. J Nunn

It's always interesting what people will excuse in an actor they for some reason look up to. Mel Gibson may have made some entertaining films and put in his years there, but it cannot possibly excuse or negate his vicious out of control behavior whether that behavior happened a decade and a half ago or yesterday. His film record has nothing to do with his personal problems, and those are getting larger and uglier by the moment. Winona Ryder has no record so far as we can see of acting viciously or aggressively, and if she shoplifted years ago that too has nothing to do with HER film career. Yet all you people are focusing on is some imaginary sumo wrestling event in your heads; Winona VS the Swamp Thing. Also, as Bitnar pointed out, this was a quote taken out of context in an interview which went on for some time, and NOT some concerted attack against your darling boy.

December 16, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Mel Gibson

BLAH,BLAH,BLAH, PINK SQUIRRELS!

December 16, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Thomas

Shoplifting in 02?

I would WRECK that; she can say whatever she wants, she can steal whatever she wants and I will fight anyone who has a problem with it (As long as she's there to witness my devotion).

I'm going to download Edward Scissorhands right now...

December 16, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Freese42

Gibson has done and said a lot of negative things. No doubt. Its not an excuse but, long time celebrities are are detatched from reality. Not all, but many. That being said,for me, he's still Mad Max. A great actor and director. Don't be mad that many, many people like me still love him.

December 16, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Mel Gibson

Quit picking on me guys.BAAH ROO

December 16, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  102. bitnar

If you read the whole GQ article, you will see that she and the interviewer were speaking for over an hour, and they talked about a variety of things ("the Saw franchise and Michelle Pfeiffer and Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore and the reason the chaise longue was invented (corsets, fainting) and melatonin and her crush on the young Anthony Hopkins circa 1977's Audrey Rose. She's told me embarrassing stories about famous people who deserve to have embarrassing stories told about them.") She didn't just call up a reporter and tell him about Mel Gibson. It was an organic conversation.

December 16, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Tivoli

Actors are not, and probably shouldn't be cast based on their personal lifes or beliefs. They should be given a role if they harbor the skills and talent to make it great, and make the movie great! The world is full of different, shady, and troubled people-Hollywood is no different. Just because we hear it, access hollywood, E, or evn cnn report it doesn't mean it is true or entirely accurate. Mel and Wynona are both talented actors, and like everyone else there far from perfect. Let he or she who is without sin cast the first stone right?

December 16, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  104. laces

I think that its pretty lame that Wynona is completely absent for many years and then when she is finally in a film and in the public eye she says she remembers something Mel Gibson said 15 years ago. I mean really? Im sure that he really said something like that and she just now decided to say something. Pleeeeeaase, she is clearly a publicity hound and just needed her name out there since her career is in the toilet and what is better than accusing Mel Gibson of something when his name is already all over celebrity news constantly due to his current legal/custody issues. Btw, I dont think that Mel has always been this 'way' so to speak. If he had always been a jerk it wouldve became known over 20 years ago when he super famous rather than when hes over 60. I think hes a taleted actor/director and personal issues does not change that. Also, his latest movie 'Edge of Darkness' was great! The public and Hollywood are hypocrites! Look at Robert Downey Jr. hes a dusche but yet still popular as ever! Lame!

December 16, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • DN3

I'm quite sure people have known for sometime but Mel Gibson makes them money and that's all that's important.

December 16, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  105. CJ

Funniest Mel Gibson quote yet. Hahaha

December 16, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  106. mia

You are missing the POINT. Anti Semitism is still alive. Merry Xmas to all you fine Christians

December 16, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  107. spellcheck

Braniac? check your own spelling

December 16, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  108. mon

Oh yes, she has an "agenda". You're an idiot. He's an absolute bigot.

December 16, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Tiffany

Mel gave us Passion of Christ....... At least he gave us that. What did ryder give? :-)

December 16, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • the nickster

Bettlegeuse

December 16, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sg23

Oscar for Angelina Jolie. Great actress. Just bc someone made a great film (Passions Christ) does not give them the right to discriminate against other people based on their religion. Six million Jews were murder in World War II. Isn't it time we as human beings stop hating each other.

December 16, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tiffany

Yes. You're correct sg23. However, let's not forget millions of catholics died at the hands of hitler as well and not just Jews. Many millions of souls died at the hands of evil. So with all due respect, as a crazy azz as Mel was and "is" he gave us The Passion of Christ. And regardless of religion you are, he gave us a beautiful film in what is true to scripture. So Jews died. Russians died. Armenians died. Albanians died. So many died not just the Jews and let's not forget that "others" suffered as well. As a catholic Christian, at the end of the day, we are all flippin sinners. Repent and ask God for forgivness !!! Get things right with God NOW bc you do not know when your time will come!!!

Bettle juice (mispelled) was a great little flic and so many other movies as she was/is talented.

Don't judge lest ye be judged! We all fall.

December 17, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Heathers

Passion of The Christ sucked @ss.

December 17, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Jozie

Seriously after so many years and she wants shoot slugs at him now. Very pathetic.

December 16, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  111. s.y

so what i still love them both.

December 16, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  112. LL

Winona looks great for 39!

December 16, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Sheila Levine

Mel Gibson can go die a slow death. Oh, wait, that's exactly what is happening.

December 16, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Masa D. Luffy

I'd drink with Mel Gibson.

December 16, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Emm

I too would not believe a thief, alcoholic and druggie. It took her 15 yrs to remember this! I wonder hows a** she is trying to crawl up. What was her Friends name "Jack Daniels" or "A Blood Mary"?

Realistically speaking...

December 16, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • danger

What a sorry attempt at cutting someone down. You spelled "who's" wrong, braniac.

December 16, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Uhh...

Correction to the correction: That's "whose". But nevertheless...

December 16, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Erin

Hey danger, if you are going to be rude and try to make someone feel stupid about their misspelling, maybe you should first make sure you're correct in your spelling, just saying'.

December 16, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • laurien

And "Sorry attempt to cut someone down," but whatever.

December 16, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • DN3

Actually, it's 'who's' not 'whose'. Anyway...

December 16, 2010 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • elliej

No, it is "whose". Who's with an apostrophe means "who is". I think my 9 year old niece knows that.

December 17, 2010 at 3:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Grammar Police

@ Danger: first of all, you misspelled "braniac". There's no such a word in the dictionary. Instead, you should write "Brainiac". brain·i·ac [brey-nee-ak]
      -noun
      1. an extremely intelligent person; intellectual.
      -adjective
      2. extremely intelligent.

Secondly, that's not "who's" but whose. You really need to check your grammar before correcting someone else's grammar mistakes!

December 17, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  116. detroit leanin

hollywood still hires hate, but atleast it still hires beauty

December 16, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Kerri

No doubt...Mel is old news. Maybe we should rehash Winnoa's shopping spree in which she decided not to pay for any of her goods. And maybe that's why this is the first we've heard from her in years. Who wants a thief on set.

December 16, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • kristen

Winona paid her dues for her foolish behavior when she was younger (tho not really young). She has done a lot more work recently so her complaint about younger actresses is mistaken. There is a time when actresses don't work (mid 20s to early 30s)-too old for ingenue and too young for matronly. The worst part of the Star trek reboot was Spock's mother. I loved her in the other Trek films and looked forward to years of Ryder playing the role. Darn JJ Abrams!!!!

December 16, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Augy

I always had respect for Gibson, but I don't undrstand Hatred of someones Ethnicity. I guess he doesn't understand we can't pick where or to whom we are born, and that a Persons Character ( which he has none) and choices are all that defines an Individual. Get with it, Mel !

December 17, 2010 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
  118. Kerri

December 16, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jock cuuscool

I'd like to see you and your twin below in my office in 10 minutes please.

December 16, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Niecy

Who cares about Mel Gibson. Its his lost that he is sooo ignorant that he has to hate other people to feel good about himself. Quit bringing him up and let his career DIE

December 16, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Clarence Bodiger

Sounds like betty loves her some adolf gibson. But really both are washed up and useless.

December 16, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Betty Butter

It takes a lot of courage to kick someone when they are down. Do I believe her? Absolutely not. She has an agenda.

December 16, 2010 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • bitnar

Isn't that what Mel does? Kick those when they're down?

December 16, 2010 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • C

Be proud of yourself! It takes some guts to stand up for a woman-abusing, gay-bashing religious fanatic.

December 17, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sames Moiarty

Hmmmm, well maybe. Like who really cares what Mel Gibson said years ago? Oh, someone whose career is deader than a year old flounder who needs a remark that will be reprinted by the robot kneejerks in the press. That Gibson's an alcoholic psycho who'se disorder manifests in rediculous public outbursts. Rather like that drunken relative we all have who shows up at Thanksgiving dinner and announces that Global Warming with cause women to grow bigger breasts or that UFO's have taken over the city council of Terra Haute, but Gibson's junior-NAZI blathering seems really old news since he's older than most peoples grandfathers. As far as gossip goes I'm more intersed in why at nearly forty whiny WInona's adolescent voice still sounds like a rusty key in a cheap padlock. Eeeaaarghh, take about fingernails on a blackboard! Take some vocal training winny and you wont need to make people ill hearing about how a washed up old bigot like Gibson insulted you back in the dark ages to get some attention. Yeesh.

December 18, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  122. banasy

Winona Ryder DOES look great!
    Mel Gibson has be anti-Semitic all his life. It was news when it was first revealed...why rehash what we already know?

December 16, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Holly Golightly

I don't get anti-semitism. hello? especially in Hollywood! Winona looks great!

December 16, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |