'Biggest Loser' champ plans new path
December 16th, 2010

'Biggest Loser' champ plans new path

When Patrick House entered the "Biggest Loser" ranch, he weighed 400 pounds, was unemployed and was borrowing money from family just to stay afloat.

Now, House is the reigning "Biggest Loser" champion, winning the title and $250,000 Tuesday after dropping 181 pounds in six months. He also has a new job at South Carolina's MindStream Academy, a co-ed boarding school where teens learn about long-term health and wellness.

"One of my co-workers went to high school with me and saw me on the show," House told reporters in a conference call Wednesday. "She talked to her boss, and he offered me a full-time job. It's a good opportunity for me to pay it forward and fight child obesity."

The new job will require House, his wife and their two young sons to move from Mississippi to South Carolina.  "I want to be close with these students and let them know that I'm there and I've been down that road," he said.

Losing nearly half his weight has been a bit of an adjustment for House - "I still have times where I can't believe I'm no longer 400 pounds" - but he's proud that he can now do things he couldn't do when he was heavy.

"Last year, I wanted to take my family to the state fair," House said, "but I realized I couldn't get on any of the rides with my kids.  This year, I was able to get on the rides."

Even though he's conquered "The Biggest Loser," another challenge still lies ahead, one that has flustered many contestants of the NBC show over the years.

"The first year after the show is so important when it comes to staying in shape and sticking to the diet," House said. "I still plan to work out four or five times a week, and add weight training to my exercise program in order to add muscle."

Keeping the weight off, he knows, "is a struggle. I'm still learning about portion control and what to put in my mouth, but I'm committed to maintaining my weight loss."

Post by:
Filed under: television

1. cat

Wayne the more u talk the more your stupidity shines! If there were a show called the biggest idiot......I believe you would have a chance of winning!

December 19, 2010 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  2. Wayne Newton

All you people telling me to change what I am posting are obviously other fatties who don't like being called out for pigging out at the fair. Yeah, like a lard a55 like this guy is going to go to the fair and not eat deep fried ranch dressing.

December 17, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Just

Just because you go the fair doesn't mean that you have to eat there stupid.

December 17, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. Ginger

I have been watching the "Biggest Loser" since Season 1 & Im soo glad that Patrick won Season 9!! Good job Ada, U definately paid it forward!!!

December 17, 2010 at 6:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. ginger

No kidding... Wayne~ U definately need 2 take a chill pill!! Holy Crap, r u 4 real?? Get off ur high horse n come back down 2 reality!!!

December 17, 2010 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  6. juliasmithy

Have you ever heard of a place called "123 Get Samples" on the web, they give out a free samples of major brands to promote their products. I just got mine.

December 17, 2010 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  7. Teri Ann

"Wayne" has some serious issues. Wow. I cannot believe what a negative person he is. He needs some xanax in his life.

December 17, 2010 at 12:35 am | Report abuse |
  8. Chad

Are you serious? What an idiotic thing to say.

December 16, 2010 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tiny

Great job Patrick! You are truly inspirational to all young people trying to lose weight! I will be the next "Biggest Loser" Thanks, for getting me off my couch!

December 16, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Godsmack Rules

Yeah maybe he can work with the fat a$$ Bristol Palin. She can stand to lose a ton.

December 16, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lajuana gee

Good job patrick you did it buddy now its my turn to do it my story is something like yours its just im young tryin to lose weight with no help I feel alone in this world but hey if you did I can good job buddy wit love lajuana gee

December 16, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |