'A-Team' director: Movie was victim of marketing misstep
December 16th, 2010

'A-Team' director: Movie was victim of marketing misstep

Man, if only “The A-Team” had better marketing, it totally would’ve found a larger audience at the box office this summer – or so says the film’s director, Joe Carnahan.

The filmmaker told the Wall Street Journal, “We kind of fell victim to a marketing misstep in that there wasn’t necessarily an understanding of what the show was. We didn’t do an adequate enough job of telling people what the movie was, if you know what I mean.”

Carnahan thinks that the film, which totaled to just $77 million, could've been a bigger hit, particularly among women.

“If I had a nickel for every time someone, especially women, came up to me and said they were dragged to the film but ended up liking it,” he lamented to the Journal.

“That’s how you know you blew it. And we blew it. Hopefully, we can make it up and find the audience the film should have found during the summer on Blu-ray and DVD,” he said.

And, if so, Carnahan says you just may get “A-Team: The Sequel.”

Filed under: movies

1. Crazy Waiter

Mike Honcho I could care less about being considered hip and coo, etc. l this movie just plain sucked. This movie was one of the worst I have ever seen.

January 4, 2011 at 1:35 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mike Honcho

See people think that if they like this type of movie, they will not be considered cool and hip and modern and trendy and smart etc,. But if you just sit back and not take the movie too seriously, it is a pretty cool movie. But instead people try to feel superior or like professional movie critics and say bad things about the movie.

December 28, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Andrea

I agree with the comment Joe made. My boyfriend dragged me to that movie. I thought it was a very good movie of its type.

December 17, 2010 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. Teri Ann

The only person that I know that saw the movie and liked it was my 5 year old son Evan, and he loved it. Lol. Of course it probably had something to do with the fact that my son likes any movie with bombings and guns. Just like most 5 year old boys.

December 17, 2010 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  5. Scott

P.S.... the scene where the tanks was flying through the air was quite possibly the dumbest action sequence in modern motion picture history. Congrats!

December 16, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Scott

The marketing is why this movie failed? No no no. It's pretty simple Mr. Carnahan....your movie SUCKED. So don't try to put more lipstick on your pig of a movie and convince me it's cool.

How about this: Next time, use the money you WOULD HAVE used for marketing and get someone who can write a decent effin script. Ass.

December 16, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. E.M.H.

They didn’t do an adequate enough job of telling people what the movie was?? Guns, soldiers, explosions... what'd they miss??

December 16, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ivan Bial

the only marketing the A-Team movie needed was a warning to save your money

December 16, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Wayne Newton

If they'd shown more cans instead of Bradley Cooper more ppl woulda gone.

December 16, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jurby

sorry but some 'marketing misstep' had nothing to do with the movie bombing. it bombed because people are tired of old tv shows being remade into movies and weren't interested in seeing some dumb remake.

December 16, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jodey

I enjoyed the old TV show but the "A-Team" movie just looked BAD. Gee, maybe that's why it didn't do well. :)

December 16, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Superhiro

Agreed, this movie got exactly what it deserved. Weak movies don't do well.

December 16, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. banasy

“If I had a nickel for every time someone, especially women, came up to me and said they were dragged to the film but ended up liking it,” he'd have a nickel....from his Mom. I'm with you, RTR. It wasn't the way it was marketed!

December 16, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. RetireTheRemakes

The reason the movie only made $77million is because it was a terrible movie. Mr. Carnahan is only fooling himself if he thinks the marketing was the problem.

December 16, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |