Natalie Portman 'swears' she eats
December 14th, 2010

Natalie Portman 'swears' she eats

Natalie Portman gives a powerhouse performance as a tortured ballerina in the psychological thriller "Black Swan," but it's the steamy kiss she shares with Mila Kunis that is on everyone's lips - and Portman completely understands.

“Lesbian scenes, sex scenes, they’re all over the place!” the 29-year-old actress, who has made a career out of playing wholesome characters, tells January's Vogue of today's films. "But because it’s me, people are shocked."

Read the full interview with Natalie Portman in Vogue

Still, she adds, "I see the value of a good‐girl persona - it’s so easy to subvert it!”

While Portman has no problem stripping down for the camera, she'll only do it under certain circumstances.

"There’s a difference between being in a bra and underpants as an object on a men’s magazine cover and playing yourself - a woman with desires and needs who loves and laughs with her friends - in a bra and underpants," she explains. "You become an object if you simply put it out there."

Video: Behind the scenes at Natalie Portman's Vogue photo shoot

Portman, who was photographed for the magazine by Peter Lindbergh, also makes it clear that despite losing weight for "Black Swan," she doesn't share her character's obsession with being thin.

"I swear, I eat. I ate a bagel an hour ago," she tells Vogue. "I like pleasure, I like joy. I’d never get to the point where I would starve or injure myself like Nina does. I’m the opposite - when I’m hungry, I eat, and I always make sure I’m eating something delicious. I’m tough on myself in terms of the standards I want to live up to, but that’s also part of my pleasure: knowing you are being your fullest self. Being your fullest self is a lot of work.”

Slideshow: A history of Natalie Portman in Vogue

The January issue of Vogue arrives on newsstands December 21.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • movies

1. LovingPortman

I love Natalie....but wonder why she is so sad... check out the I AM ROUGE website to see the video :)

February 16, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mama

Get rid of all the fat ppl? I hope your mama smacks you! I personally an not fat and would starve myself he i even were close but aint nothing wrong with fat folks beyond they are unhealthy. Love them and encourage them and you will end up with some more skinny ppl. cause they are not good stuffing down a pizza and cookies or whatever cause they have a hard time dealing with cruelty and thats how they deal with it.

December 15, 2010 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  3. LOW LYF

WE SHOULD GET RID OF ALL THE FAT PEOPLE AND MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE IN FACT IT MAY BRING WORLD PEACE

December 15, 2010 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Dr. Fandango

Well, I disagree with your prognosis of world peace, but it would make the world lighter and slimmer; henceforth, better.

December 15, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. the incredible edible leg

Better to be overweight than undernourished IMHO.

December 15, 2010 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
  5. CHEEFSFURYjr

i luv u meng.

December 15, 2010 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  6. Dr M

On topic, she looks lovely, and healthy. She was a guest on Top Chef last season and sounded like a bit of a foodie. She seemed to enjoy food, yet have a very healthy diet. She was playing a ballerina, it only makes sense that she slimmed down for the part.

December 15, 2010 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  7. Dr M

I dont understand why there has to be all this hate on fat people and such a fat vs skinny war. I guess this sounds kind of Sesame Street, but I think its cool that people come in all shapes and sizes, I love the differences. Natalie Portman is gorgeous and graceful. I can also find beauty in Carnie Wilson, she has a pretty face and really nice eyes. I myself am average I guess, but I prefer gals a little on the plump side. Why does the mere mention of a fat person (or skinny person, but mostly the hate is towards the overweight) send some of you into fits of anger? They're not hurting you.

December 15, 2010 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
    • Leigh

The problem with these actresses is that they swear they eat, but if you look at pictures of them from a couple of years prior, they get thinner and thinner. And what you see on film is not what you see in person – i bet up close she is a bag of bones. Read some of the things Kunis has to say about being in this movie. She said her body looks great on film, but in person she looked disgusting while filming.

December 15, 2010 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  8. victoria

Starve yourself if it means looking like you do? Do the words shallow and unevolved mean anthing to you? Not only is your thinking repressed and neanderthal in origin but dangerous. I hope your daughter does not read your posts. BTW, when was the last time you starved yourself?

December 14, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • jacksonian

You're obviously fat and heavy yourself. Please don't be jealous that Natalie Portman is thin, attractive and healthy. Fat = unhealthy, period!

December 14, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Josh

Starving is for women.

December 14, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Valley Girl

I understand that she dropped weight for the role, but, dang! After watching "Black Swan," I had to go get a bacon cheeseburger after just watching how thin she looked!

December 14, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dr. Fandango

It could be possible that she eats like a hog everyday, but she is blessed with outstanding gens which make her look that way. Get over it heifers, she got one, two, and three up on you...

December 14, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Pat Sajack

At least she's not eating like that Carnie Wilson. Thank goodness for starlets who care about how they look. Starve yourself if it means looking like you do. You go girl!

December 14, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Wicke

Wholesome characters? Like in V for Vendetta, Closer, Domino or The Other Boleyn Girl? No, she is actually quite capable of playing a wide variety of characters. Why are people shocked?

December 14, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • dooganhead1990

actually that was keira knightley that was in Domino. But yea she was amazing in V

December 14, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  13. cheefsfury

NO WAY

December 14, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • derbygirl

Natalie gave an awesome interview on NPR's "Fresh Air" last week. She talked about having to lose weight and get in the "right" shape for her role in "Black Swan." Check out the podcast if you get a chance. :)

December 15, 2010 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |