All bets are off for Gervais' second Golden Globes
December 13th, 2010

All bets are off for Gervais' second Golden Globes

If you thought Ricky Gervais could've pushed the envelope a bit more the last time he hosted the Golden Globes, he agrees.

"I don’t think I was too bad," Gervais told reporters last week about his first turn as Globes host. "I don’t think I went far enough."

Gervais will get another chance when he returns for his second and final year on the 68th annual awards show taking place January 16. (Nominations for the Globes will be announced on Tuesday.) "I’m going to have even more fun with it, probably go a bit further, push the boundaries a little bit more. I think you always should," the Brit comedian said. "What’s the worst that could happen? I didn’t expect to be invited back a second time and I certainly – and I won’t do it a third. So I’ve got nothing to lose. So, yes, I’m going to go for it."

"The Office" creator also weighed in on Steve Carell's final year on the U.S. version of the show. "There’s a lot of talk about who’s going to replace Steve Carell. You should never think like that. You shouldn’t think who’s replacing Steve Carell. It should be who's replacing Michael Scott," he said. "The replacement should be a credible replacement within the story, within the piece of work, not 'Is he going to be as big a star?'"

In all seriousness, Gervais talked fondly of Carell. "I always joke about him, I always tease him, I hope people know that I think he is one of the nicest people I’ve ever met genuinely," he said. "There’s no one like him. He’s untouched by Hollywood. He’s untouched by his fame. He’s just a lovely family man who loves comedy and the work and he’s done an amazing job above and beyond the call of duty."

As for one of the hottest shows on TV, "Modern Family," being the latest program to be compared to "The Office," Gervais cited "This Is Spinal Tap" and "The Larry Sanders Show" as influences on that show.

"I didn't invent that genre. I stood on the shoulders of giants," he told CNN. "It’s nice that we’re even getting the credit for creating a recognizable style or genre. Someone said today that we reinvented the sitcom, and I’m very happy with that rumor going around."

Still, he shudders at some of the praise he's received. "I remember when 'The Office' came out one journalist said, 'This is as good as Chekhov.' And I thought, 'Oh, no. Well now we’re in real trouble,'" he said. "And sure enough the next year when the special went on television one journalist said, 'This is sub-Dickens.' I’m like, really? We’re not as good as Dickens. No, we’re not. They were surprised this sitcom isn’t as good as the greatest storyteller over the last 300 years. It’s like you can’t win."

Gervais also spoke about the special he recently taped about comedy where he had a conversation with Jerry Seinfeld, Chris Rock and Louis C.K. "We sat in a room for four and a half hours - and I’m just editing it down now to an hour - and we just talked about comedy," he said. "We talked about what we hate, what we love, how we approached it, our first bit we ever did, why we wanted to be comedian[s]."

The special will air on HBO, where his second stand-up special, "Ricky Gervais: Out of England 2" will premiere on Saturday night. "There’s also the sequel to ['The Ricky Gervais Show'] as well, which starts on the 14th of January," he said. "So yes, second Globes, second special and second ['Gervais Show' season] - I think I’m better the second time around."

1. Robert

I LOVED IT! It's about time America learns to appreciated dark humor.....o not just politically correct wishy washy boring mediocre same old blabla.... Thnak you Ricky!!!!

January 17, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Holly

I think cheefsfury is playing us.

December 14, 2010 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. Max

I certainly appreciate Ricky as a fantastic comedian in his own right, but I find it irritating that he elaborates on The Office and his inspirations without referencing or acknowledging Stephen Merchant.

Fine to not mention him when talking about his standup or Invention of Lying, but really, it's disingenuous to take full credit for The Office and for the vast number of inspirations that came out of his work with Merchant. I thought they were mates. Mates don't drop important refs.

December 13, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • stan

the only time he does that is when he's making fun of carell. "he's leeching off my work" is more direct

would u rather he say "steve carell is totally leeching off the work of stephen merchant and i" ?

December 17, 2010 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. tookalook22

There you go again- America being the center of the Universe. Guess what guys? There are soooooo many shows that America has ripped off of England it is crazy- America's Got Talent– check, America Idol-check, The Office-check, Who Wants to be a Millionaire- check, X-Factor-check, Three's Company-check. I could go on and on and on- soooo next time check your facts before you say anything- Even Wikipedia got it right!!!! I will give America credit for one thing- being awesome at ripping off other shows!!!

December 13, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheefsfury

LOOK MAN YOUR BEING DUMB I MEAN HOW CAN AMERICA RIP OFF A SHOW CALLED AMERICAN IDOL OR AMERICAS GOT TALENT WHY WOOD ENGLEND HAVE A SHOW CALLED AMERICAN IDOL IT DONT MAKE NO SENSE

December 13, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Superhiro

Umm... the British version came first there buddy.

December 13, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheefsfury

NO WAY BRO I MEAN THEIR IS ONLY 2 ENGLAND ONES AND LIKE 7 AMERICAN ONES THEY ARE JUST BEHIND US

December 13, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. cheefsfury

THIS GUY IS PRETTY FUNNY BUT I WAS WATCHING NETFLIX AND I SAW THEY COPIED THE OFFICE IN ENGLEND AND I TRIED WATCHING IT BUT I CANT UNDERSTAND THEM THAT WELL IT WAS KINDA FUNNY BUT OURS WAS BETTER HOW COME ENGLEND GETS TO RIP AMERICA OFF

December 13, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diana

Uhhhhh ??? We ripped off the English version, that's why Ricky's wallet goes "kachink" every time we watch the American version.

December 13, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve Boneslauce

You're a complete moron…First, it's England not Englend, Second, why do you write in all CAPS? Third, look at the year the different "Offices" were released. The English version obviously released before the American. And fourth, you're still a complete moron.

December 14, 2010 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
    • cheefsfury

I WRITE IN ALL CAPS CUZ MY CAPSLOCK KEY IS BROKED AND I NEVER CALLED U ANY NAMES AND I STAND BY THE FACT THAT ENGLEND RIPPED OFF THE OFFICE FROM US HOW COME THEIR IS ONLY 2 SEASONS OR SERIES AS THE BLUE COATS CALL THEM

December 14, 2010 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |