Vampire Weekend’s 'Holiday': The (newest) most overplayed song on TV?
December 12th, 2010

Vampire Weekend’s 'Holiday': The (newest) most overplayed song on TV?

Move over, “Hey Soul Sister.”

The Train hit - which appeared in so many ads this year it prompted a website insisting advertisers quit featuring the single in commercials - has finally stopped popping up on the tube.

But perhaps that wouldn't have happened, even with the website's valiant efforts, unless a new jingle was there to take "Soul Sister's" place as the most overplayed song on TV.

Enter Vampire Weekend’s “Holiday.”

In addition to “Holiday’s” upbeat tempo, its name makes the tune a perfect fit for commercials during the holiday season. So much so that it’s already featured in a Tommy Hilfiger ad and a Honda Civic commercial.

Adfreak.com declared the song “perfect for commercials, because it's bouncy enough to be a jingle and still ignorable enough not to outshine the product being featured."

Train’s probably not too upset though. “Hey Soul Sister” is the best-selling single on iTunes for 2010.

Post by:
Filed under: Music

1. Tim

I love Christmastime but will be thankful it is over this year because of that horrible, horrible song. You cannot watch TV for even the briefest of time without hearing it used in a commercial. Often it can be heard two to three times in one break alone.

If the singer's voice weren't bad enough, the way the second verse ends with the voice going down is probably the most annoying thing I've ever heard in a song. Are there no basic rules for music anymore?

I don't care if the band has a lot of great songs or the significance of this one… it's plain horrible to have to hear over and over everyday!

December 29, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  2. monkeydonkey

I can't BELIEVE all these angry, jaded responses – hilarious! Most of you are, like, wasting your anger on a TV commercial? Are you all aspiring commercial directors who can do it better? These seems like a forum for really jaded production assistants. Laughable!

December 26, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Elski

Okay, so I agree this song is way overplayed. I, however, happen to love Vampire Weekend and I've heard all of their other songs and all of them (including this one) are great. For all of you saying this band sucks/ is a one hit wonder/ is about vampires, you guys really need to do a little research before making such uneducated remarks. A quick wikipedia and youtube search would suffice. Yes, the little part of the song that is being used in commercials is getting quite annoying, but it definitely does not define Vampire Weekend, or even this song, as a whole.

December 25, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Andy M.

The MOST ironic thing about this is that the song is not at ALL about the Christmas holiday, taking a vacation, or any of the above. Read the article on NME that explains the meaning of the song...straight from the composer's mouth. Once you see that it's about vegetarianism inspired by the invasion of Iraq.

December 16, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  5. Cole

Giampaolo- clearing you have never heard Graceland nor understand the significance of the album. C'mon man you have to be kidding me

December 14, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Cole

Not sure about the commercial, but I am both a fan of the song and band. They're a modern day Paul Simon with the unique ability to infuse African rhythm and beats. I would beg to differ that they are not the most overplayed song on T.V... Anything by The Black Keys definitely wins that. If you're a fan of the Black Keys you know that they have four different tracks circulating on the commercial circuit right now., Not to mention the song in the opening credits of Hung. Looks like Ad executives have lost their creativity in selling products.

December 14, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Giampaolo

Paul Simon??? Infusing African beats??? What planet are you on???

December 14, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big VW fan

@Giampaolo – My dad (who is 60) heard "White Sky" by Vampire Weekend and thought it was actually Paul Simon. Is it possible that you don't know who Paul Simon is? Or what African soweto is? It's one thing to not like the band, but you should take a tip from Cole, and have a listen to Graceland, before you make anymore stupid comments.

January 12, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Julian Assange

I am a loser. I should have been an abortion.

December 13, 2010 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  8. cannednonsensenews

Song is terrible, and so is VW. Do people still have ears? The only good rock band left in the US is Clutch.

December 13, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mja

It doesnt matter if it a terrible song or commercial, they just want u to remember it...obviously its working!

December 13, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  10. me

There are a lot of songs that are over played and that's because they are no talent hacks like taylor swift a lot of artist now a days should just be taken out of their misery

December 13, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. liz

vampire weekend is an amazing band.

and while their first cd was better than their second... its a bit harsh to call them talentless, if the only song you have heard is a cheesy commercial. come february 1 we wont be subjected to the stereotypical seasonal marketing attempt, and VW will stop annoying the beiber and katy perry fans of the world. then the people who desire to listen to their music will be rewarded for their good musical taste.

December 13, 2010 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ellen

Two commercials hardly qualifies as overplayed.Plus, since some consider it more seasonal it won't stay on commercials past January. I actually really like this song; Vampire Weekend is a good band and I'm glad to see them gaining even more popularity.

December 13, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Julian Assange

I am not decent at all. I am a self serving a...ss..h..o..l..e..

December 13, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mrs. E. Scrooge

I will admit that sometimes i read these blogs for the sheer amazement of what people say... although, frequently it's with such venomous intentions.
    @Logic & ABB123 your blogging at eachother was done with grace & class... even though a correction was stated. It's nice to see there are still some decent folks out there!!

December 13, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Julian Assange

How come women don't like me? Is it because I am creepy and look like a pedophile?

December 13, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Julian Assange

I want all of America to know that I wear women's panties.

December 13, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  17. suzi starz n peace

personally i was not a fan of the soul sister song. Dont think i heard the other one yet but doubt i'd be interested. Not into vampires which r everywhere these days. Also was disturbed by all the skulls that were so popular for longer than awhile. Even if things suck should we just dwell on it like that? I had the hardest time buying a preschooler an outfit when the fashion was death and decay !! Really?????????

December 13, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Scott

I love VW, not a fan of this song though. This isn't really one of their hits either, just a song of their new album. I give them credit for doing something completely different. The fact that many of you are saying ewww is a completely expected reaction when you are used to the mindless crap the industry has been shoveling at us for so many years now.

December 13, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Meryl Streep on Ice

You know, I really liked VW. I saw them twice. They seemed like a decent indie band that cared primarily about entertaining its fans. But writing a song like this during Holiday season this is a cheap way to get licensing attention and they knew it was going to work, because advertisers are craving the indie sounds of new artists to make themselves hip.

December 13, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

This song has to do with a getaway, not Christmas. It was released on their new album last January so I don't believe they meant to cash in for this Christmas. Advertisers and tv shows seem to be targeting the Indie scene these days (Black Keys are being featured in commercials too, go figure) so I can't fault them for cashing the advertiser's checks. Money dries up fast in the music industry, right?

December 13, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  20. MAX

IS THIS VAMPIRE THING STILL GOING ON ? 1 DAY WAS ENOUGH FOR ME BUT THEN AGAIN IM NOT 12 YEARS OLD

December 13, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Drew

Who are you morons saying Vampire Weekend sucks? They are not the greatest band, but I guarentee you are all lamestreamers who are listening to generic rock music. I can't imagine you are all elitist hipsters who think Vampire Weekend is "so 2008". So that makes you something even worse, someone who doesn't even get the band's music in the first place!

December 13, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Get a life... All of you!

Honestly, I read these articles on the go because I don't watch a lot of TV and I am floored over all these idiotic posts! Who cares if someone likes/dislikes or doesn't even care about Vampire Weekend, commercialism, or band names. You all are silly!

December 13, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Giampaolo

Wow! Your life must be great! Thanks for your judgement! Now here's mine for you... People who need to feel better about themselves by condemning blogs they are taking the time to post on and bragging that they "don't watch tv," need to get a life AND a tv.

December 13, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • anna

Agreed. some people get so mean for someone else's comments! Let them like it or dislike it, It's their choice!!

December 13, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Giampaolo

This blog gives me hope, and I am so glad I am not alone in my shock at how terrible and intellectually lazy most popular music is. If peoples' noses were as ignorant as their ears the feces scented candle would be a huge seller this holiday season.

December 13, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  24. John

I thought this song was a commercial for Target or Walmart at first.

December 13, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Thomas Horan

Great band, great songs. You people have no clue...

December 13, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Kurt

those who think this song is good have seriously had their conceptions of real music twisted...

December 13, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Colin

The fact that your all talking about these products means the songs did their job.

December 13, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Giampaolo

If their job was to burn an image in my brain of something I detest, then associate their product with that negative sentiment, mission accomplished.

December 13, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  28. greymare

This is an actual song ? I thought it was just an annoying jingle. I hate to wish the Holidays away, but I won't have to put up with that commercial anymore.

December 13, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Really?

I have never heard this song before.....ever.

December 13, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Jeff

I cant stand this song. G6 is much, much worse, though.

December 13, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Logic

Neither of these songs are as bad as the mutilated versions of classic caroling songs used in many TV ads. I cringe every time those Marshall ads come on and I instantly change the channel. I will not shop there given a choice.

December 13, 2010 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  32. dsn63

Make It Stop!!!! That tune is like fingernails on a chalkboard!!

December 13, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  33. NIcole

If bands were smart, once they hit the status of buzz but not over the top popularity, they'd write a song for the holidays or summer – without it being blatant. Cash cow! The rest of us? Will have to suffer through hearing it endlessly for the season despite not watching any tv and barely listening to the radio!

December 13, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Mok

yeah, whatever...come back and talk to me when it catches up with how long Dark Side of the Moon stayed at #1

December 13, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

You aren't referring to Pink Floyd are you? If so, this article is about overplayed songs and they did not have a song called Dark Side of the Moon.

December 13, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  35. icanhascomments

It's kind of a shock to me that this article exists. I've never seen either of these commercials, and I don't listen to the radio (satellite or free), so I had no idea this song was getting any play. It's certainly not anywhere near as omnipresent then than the Train song. At the the Vampire Weekend song is about something other than 80s nostalgia...'cause we don't have enough of that.

December 13, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • icanhascomments

Ugh...I should proofread *before* I post...
      Let's see: take out "then than" and replace with "as", and replace the first "the" in the last sentence with "least".
      Okay, now we're all better.

December 13, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  36. t-lo

"Holiday" by Scorpions is much better classic ;)

December 13, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  37. victim of democrat hypocrisy

SO
    SICK
    OF
    THIS
    SONG!!!!!

I turn the channel every time I hear that tune. Way to ensure they'll be a one hit wonder, guys!

The only other song that came close to being as overused was Smashmouth's "Walking on the Sun", specifically the part where they sing, "So don't delay. Act now. Supplies are running out."

December 13, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • anne

One hit wonder? Do you even know what you're talking about? Have you heard other VW songs?? They're incredible! The lack of taste in the general American public disgusts me.

December 13, 2010 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
    • victim of democrat hypocrisy

"Have you heard other VW songs??"
      No, and neither has the rest of America. And because of the commercial overuse, they never will.

December 13, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Giampaolo

Umm sorry, they blow.

December 13, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  38. elizabeth

I hear that G-6 song every time I put on the radio and I'm sick of that one now. I don't watch TV so I don't know what these commercials are. Maybe I'll have to youtube it.. :)

December 13, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  39. the_dude

vampires are gay

December 13, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  40. Julian Assange

Lance Bass and I made sweet music together at my swiss chalet in the alps..it was heavenly.

December 13, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  41. piano

The Black Keys seem to be in every single commercial and movie these days. What is this "holiday" song?

December 13, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
    • VRAlbany

Holiday, ohh holiday, and the best one of the year... It's stuck in my head now...

It would be a mediocre song, but the overplaying upgrades it to horrible.

December 13, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  42. Dr T

More cowbell!

December 13, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Mr. K

I gotta fever! And the only prescription is less commercially produced artificial crap and more real talent!

December 13, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Ian

That song blows.

December 13, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  44. sarah

i actually like Vampire Weekend. This song has become a little overplayed, but I love their music and their videos are even better.

December 13, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  45. tdotbird

I liked this song more when I didn't hear it every 5 minutes in that car commercial.

December 13, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  46. amos cochran

The best part about all of it is VW is laughing all the way to the bank about it. The song has nothing at all to do with holiday times. Great song! Go Vampire weekend

December 13, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  47. Brian Garrett

It plays on the tv screens in every single new york city taxi cab at the start of each cab ride...maddening

December 13, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  48. russ bowden

By the mere fact that they exist, ALL commercials suck. who do yout hink pays for them? Then you pay some cable|satellite company for the privilige to watch them!!

December 13, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  49. yankeebelle_59

I agree with everyone, overplayed and horrible. Hate the commericals too.

December 13, 2010 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  50. Basset

I love the Hilfiger advert.....especially when the Basset drives off. :)

December 13, 2010 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  51. EmSeeDubayou

That is one horrible song! Who would overplay it?

December 13, 2010 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  52. Stevie

Do any of u know it's the British meaning for holiday? It's a song about a vacation.

December 13, 2010 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  53. INXSARY

Yeah that Hyundai commercial is terrible!

December 13, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  54. Dina N

and the second worse Holiday car song is the "Ole Saint Nick" tune for the Hyundai commercial. I am forever holding on to the remote for whenever either of those commercials come on. I don't need those songs playing in my head all day long!

December 13, 2010 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
    • VRAlbany

YES! I've heard a lot of griping about that series of Hyundai commercials because the ultra-hipster band they feature annoys nearly everyone ever.

But I have noticed the over playing of that "Holiday" song too.

December 13, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  55. Linda

The Honda ad plays EVERY night here when the late news is on and I have resorted to screaming and muting it so I do not hear it in my head overnight. I hate Holiday and Soul Sister, both are horrible earworm songs and terrifically annoying.

December 13, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  56. ian

The only difference is that this song is actually ok, AND it's not overplayed on the radio on every channel.

December 13, 2010 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  57. Katherine

Ugh. Another rediculous attempt to making real music. Talent is nearly dead.

December 13, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Kara

Talent is not dead, but hidden behind the celebrity promoters and commercial radio/tv. To get real talent, you must search outside of popular radio stations and big time studios looking for the next gimmick to attract droves of (nearly mindless) listeners.

Luckily the internet is free to hold vast amounts of info, including clips and performances by some of the most talented artists today that you've never heard of.

December 13, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  58. Snookie'sLover

Are you joking? Something is obviously wrong with this research. I've heard "Soul Sister" a fraction of the number of times I've heard that stupid Black Eyed Peas song, "I Gotta Feeling." Anyone suggesting that song for any event should be dragged out into the street and shot. HATE IT.

December 13, 2010 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  59. Sam

Meh

December 13, 2010 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  60. Slim

Emo whiney BS

December 13, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  61. Dave

I HATE THIS SONG!!!!!

December 13, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  62. DB

I hope I'm not the only one who detests that Tommy Hilfiger commercial. I mean a bunch of over-dressed snobs having holiday dinner in the middle of nowhere, walking on the table, throwing things around. And who in their right mind would connect the table to the car and let the kid drive away? I mean, pullllleeeeeaaaaaasee!

December 13, 2010 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
    • mike

Fits the band, though. They are preppy dbags themselves.

December 13, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • AnneCT

I couldn't agree more. I can't stand that commercial.

December 13, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Logic

It was the dog, not a kid who drove away.

December 13, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • ABB123

I couldn't agree more- the worst is the preppy guy at the end who smuggly says "Don't you just LOVE the holidays?" Ahhh! I just want to punch him! And for the record, I like preppy clothes, yet this commercial kills my soul.

@Logic: They seem to have two versions of this commercial- one wtih a kid driving, one with a dog (i'm so sad that I know this, but as you can see I have unfortunately seen this commercial one too many times)

December 13, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lola

Wow...none of you GET that commercial!! It's hilarious, and it's meant to spoof all that stuff you are complaining about. The first time I saw it (I turn the sound off during commercials) i thought, "Yuck, a Ralph Lauren fake-aristo ad." But then it gets turned on its head...and that's the point! As commercials go, it's a winner.

December 13, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Logic

@ABB123 Thanks, didn't see that version. OMG, Did PETA get after them and make them change it? Is marketing so specific they think a dog driving the car is too upsetting for some parts of the country? (Dogs: Don' try this at home!)

December 13, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

There are two versions of the commercial one with the kid and one with the dog driving away. Either way the commercial and more importantly the song are annoying, especially when played dozens, if not hundreds of times a day. On top of that Honda decided to jump on that "bandwagon" and uses it dozens more. So much for live TV, where's my DVR?

December 13, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Justme1983

I don't think I have ever heard this song....yet :)

December 13, 2010 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  64. Brickell Princess

Vampires? Really? You people bore me!

December 13, 2010 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
    • emily

Do your research before you make such an ignorant comment, the band Vampire Weekend has NOTHING to do with vampires...

December 13, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • rynot

only in as much as they both SUCK.

December 13, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
    • mimo-chan

really Emily? I think they have the word vampire in the band name so there you go.

December 13, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • get a clue

Do your research? On what? I bet you think that makes you sound so intelligent telling someone to research something, but its a band name. There's nothing to research you loser.

December 13, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Emilytheidiot

Yeah, Emily, you're so stupid. I bet you get straight C's. And I bet you wear glasses, nerd. I hope you get a pimple. And I hope your dog pees on your leg. Do research. Who would do that? God, why would anyone want to learn. You're so stupid. They should call you Stupid Head Emily for being so stupid.

December 13, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big VW Fan

Vampire Weekend has been around longer than you think. And their band name is a reference more to The Lost Boys, than twilight or any of that other crap. While in college, the lead singer tried to make an updated version of the movie for a film class that instead took place in Cape Cod – the short film's name was Vampire Weekend. The main character's name was Walcott. If you're a fan, that song will make a little more sense now. Anyway, while writing the song Walcott, it turned into more of a "vacation" song, which is the direction the band took in genderal. If you've seen any pictures of the band, or their music videos, you'll know that their music or personal style has nothing to do with vampires.

January 12, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |