'Hey Soul Sister' iTunes best-selling single of 2010
December 10th, 2010

'Hey Soul Sister' iTunes best-selling single of 2010

That October campaign to ban "Hey Soul Sister" from being used in advertisements certainly didn't make the song any less popular: Apple has announced that the Train single was iTunes's best-selling single of 2010.

Entertainment Weekly reports that "Hey Soul Sister" was the most downloaded song on the music service, with Katy Perry's "California Gurls" and Eminem's "Love the Way You Lie" rounding out the top three.

As Marquee previously reported, Brad Meyers and Keith Stoeckeler created the website Stop Advertising From Pulling a Train after hearing "Hey Soul Sister" in everything from Samsung 3D TV ads, the trailer for the Katherine Heigl/Josh Duhamel flick "Life As We Know It," and even a breast cancer PSA.

Meanwhile, Eminem fared much better on iTunes's album chart. His CD, "Recovery," was the top seller, with Ke$ha's "Animal" and Lady Gaga's "The Fame" landing at Nos. 2 and 3, respectively.

Post by:
Filed under: Music

1. Micheal L. Bartels

Great article! We are linking to this great content on our website. Keep up the great writing.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntxSiY8JAcE&w=640&h=390]

January 5, 2014 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dusti Lacouette

The author spoke about quite a few interesting points in this post. I came across this by using Bing and I have to admit that I am currently subscribed to the site, it's very good ;D

December 24, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jayne Alvero

You have wrote about a few interesting things in this post. I found it by searching Bing and I've got to admit that I already subscribed to the blog, it's very decent :D

December 24, 2010 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. commercialism always kills art, well...usually

If i had heard that song once, I'd say it was OK and about on par with "Harden my heart" by whoever sung that. You know, basically a bubblegum ice cream song that is too sweet, too produced, too forced, and leaves you feeling sick. People like something they can sing along to, one of my office mates decided they would force us to endure him doing just this over and over this last year! I can definitely see why there was such a strong negative reaction to this song and why all of us idiots comment about it when the web gives us sheep a link to click. Next it'll be that Hyundai commercial band that has been overplayed. Luckily for them they are just doing a Christmas themed commercial so their overexposure may be short lived (or hopefully the payout was big enough). It is always interesting how certain artists are able to allow the use of beloved tunes and don't see the negative effects that others do (U2, Flaming Lips are two examples I can think of). Wonder when Keenan will get a high paying advertising gig?

December 22, 2010 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey

It is nice to know that Peter Gallagher is doing so well.

December 19, 2010 at 4:23 am | Report abuse |
  6. celebs911

Honestly this song it is overplayed...and I would think other songs were the number one on iTunes..but people are deciding, I guess:) On that note please read our predictions for Kendra, Jennifer Aniston on our blog Celebs911. xoxo

December 13, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ubershaman

I see no reason why that campaign to stop Hey Soul Sister is even worth mentioning.

December 13, 2010 at 12:27 am | Report abuse |
  8. You all are retards yea im 16 and I said that!

you know what shut the @&%#$&@# up. why does one song make a bunch of grown adults say stuff like killing small animals and commiting suicide. Know body cares if you hate it its just a song. so what if a lot of commercials use it they just use it as a way to catch your attention so that you can buy their product. the song is number 1 on itunes in being downloaded so it is smart to use a song that many people know. If you really hate the song so much then really go and kill your self or go and kill those small animals. you people are the reason why the world is like it is today. go listen to another song that addresses the problems of the world like this one. watch the music video for Disturbed- Another way to die. it shows people like you destroy the world while others live in poverty. GOD just get off the persons case for the song he is just better at life than you if he can write a song that sells more than what you could do in life.

December 12, 2010 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  9. mattmchugh

I'll admit it's a seriously overplayed song, and no great work of art, but it's catchy as all get-out. As a band that's been around for over 15 years, Train "deserves" a lucky-fluke hit a lot more than a plastic label-made pop tart like Katie Perry.

December 12, 2010 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. brianforgie

Train.Hope their career derails soon. Unfortunately it wont happen. These guys and their ilk are not musicians. Retread music is now the in thing. They are music manipulators taking other peoples music and riding other peoples coattails. Want to make lots of money in the music industry? Ask WILMA I AM to steal other peoples music throw some more of his jibberish in there add a few key words like i want to do u or lets do it all night long a few yo yos and bam your number one. Just look at PIMP DADDY KEISHA AND MOST OF THAT OTHER DANCE JUNK. Sample GOD BLESS AMERICA throw a few yo yos in there a couple oh baby babies and bam u can retire, Lazy generation lazy musicians

December 12, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  11. noncon

I'll admit it, I am a 40 year old male and I like the song. The way I see it, you can't call someone's taste in music crappy, as we all have a different taste in music. We all have opinions just like we all have assh0les, and they all stink. I listen to a large range of music, ranging from the God's of Rock: Beatles, Stones, etc. all the way up to new music such as Linkin Park, Rise Against, Against Me, and even softer things like Katy Perry.

December 12, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  12. CT

First off I have to say the saying: "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" applies to music as well.
    As for this song, it's not really my taste either. It is interesting to note that while this is iTunes best selling song for 2010, it is not rated as "Best Single" in any catagory, nor did Train get awarded any best album or artist by iTunes. On Billboard.com, this song (The version by Train) is rated as the number 3 song based on Nielson ratings and did sit at number 1 on the conteporary top 100 for 3 weeks, and after being off the charts for about 5 weeks, it came back last week at no. 73, now it sits at no.55; the cast of Glee just debut a version of it at number 29 for this week. So with that, I give Kudo's to Train for their apparent sucess – that does not mean I, nor anyone else is obliged to like the song however.

And to all the radio stations out there, why is it when you guys find out a song is selling well, you play it til' our ears are bleeding! In the name of all that is good in this world, will you programming directors CUT IT OUT!! You drive me away from your station when you do that, not to it.

Happy holidays to all you music lovers out there!

December 12, 2010 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  13. KC

I agree with another earlier poster–"Hey Soul Sister" is an okay song, but it got overplayed relentlessly. I no longer can listen to it. And it doesn't compare to any of Train's older stuff...the Drops of Jupiter album, anyone? Hell, even "Calling All Angels" was better than this trite pop stuff.

Ever since he had that solo single, "Her Eyes" or whatever it's called, Pat Monahan has been trying to "rap" cheesy lines and rhymes like he's Jason Mraz. It's really not as clever as he thinks it is.

But apparently people are buying it, so clearly Train is on to something. In the meanwhile, I will continue ripping alternative music off of Youtube. Damn the man!!

December 12, 2010 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  14. Josh

The military has already begun researching ways to weaponize this song. Soon we will bring the world to its knees!!

December 12, 2010 at 12:25 am | Report abuse |
  15. Duanga

I thought it would have been the F You Song by Ceelo

December 11, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Johnny

OK. This song isn't as bad as people are saying. There are far, far worse songs. I say those include any of the voice-synth rap songs. Not only are those songs bad because they are played over and over and over...they are bad the FIRST time heard. Although, I do get pleasure from laughing at them. Overused voice synth is incredibly stupid and definitely intended to make up for lack of lyrical ability.

December 11, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Justin

C'mon people! I see that most of the comments state the song sucks for one of two reasons: the song has been played too much or that you've never heard the song but you know it sucks because today's music is all crap. Wouldn't a great song, that sells this many copies, obviously have been played quite a bit on mainstream media sources (radio, commercials, etc)? Secondly, this song is a throwback in regards to verbiage, technicality, and overall pop culture awareness. If you don't enjoy the technology that has allowed music to receive a higher production quality, and enjoy a "live" sound, then this song IS FOR YOU! Third, the lyrics actually mean something! In a similar fashion to "Brown Eyed Girl", this song focuses on race relations and society's acceptance of taboo elements. In the song a 40-45ish couple, white male/black female, are falling in love with each other. They are having to overcome the racial prejudice and social constructions they were raised with when they were younger, in the early 80s. I urge you to think before you write stupid crap people – this is a well produced, written, and marketed song. What do you think should be the #1 selling single if not this?

December 11, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  18. New Jersey Anti-Train Coalition (NJATC)

train suuuuuuuuuuuuucks

December 11, 2010 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  19. rachel

All crap commercial 'music.'

December 11, 2010 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
  20. WhereIsTheMelody

At least the Train song has a melody. Much of the music these days is crap, especially Hip Hop music.

December 11, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  21. J.Bradley

The only way anybody could have completely missed these songs is if they live like the Unabomber and in their daily life they're nowhere near a radio. Not at work, or school, or in the car, or even just walking around and say somebody has a radio playing behind the counter at a convenience store. Some stores have current top forty programmed on their MUSAK, and some people don't even hear that. They're walking around, headphones stuck deep in their ears with the volume cranked up, listening to what they've downloaded from – somewhere – whether legally or illegally. They'll say they listen to music but the truth is they only listen to what they know and they've heard about from – friends, a website, an "if you like this, you may also like this" recommendation they've got from somewhere. It's just indicative of how there IS NO mass culture, pop music anymore in this "what color is your..." ultra-individualized universe. Even so to the point that when you compile the info and tally up the songs that have been individually downloaded, from a legitimate source, by millions of people, they give a dumbfounded "Huh? What's that?" It's a totally alien concept to them. They don't even live in a world of six degrees of separation from everybody else, more like three or four at the most.

December 11, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  22. nateD2002

God the mainstream as a whole sucks sooooo bad.

December 11, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Drumzz

I often tell people, "No, it's okay if you like Train. Not everyone likes music. There's no law against that." That usually draws a "but, I, uh... wait... " , to which is reply, "No, it's fine. Music isn't for everyone, i know that."

December 11, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Phil

I really though "Bedroom Intruder" would top the list.

December 11, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  25. RhoyaleGold

LOL....Some of these posts are HILARIOUS! I purchased the song from ITunes, but hearing it on TV ads just killed it for me. :/

December 11, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Lillie

I like a lot of different music genres, I like Queen, Michael Jackson, Journey, Britney Spears.
    I really like this song, too.
    And if you hated the commercials, why didn't you just mute your T.V.?
    And why waste two minutes of your day posting a bad review instead of writing something that you actually care about?
    Anyway, I like all of the top 3 songs. I'm not a big fan of Lady Gaga, but I do like Ke$ha.

December 11, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  27. Mikey

It's safe to say that a lot of Americans have bad taste in music.

December 11, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  28. Slatefield

I gotta admit I do hate this song, for two reasons: for one, I've listened to Train before and liked several of their older songs, and this as their resurging single just baffled me. Two: it's drowning in pop flavor, and I have trouble getting behind that.

Slightly biased; probably. But for this to be a #1 song makes me wonder what the future of the music industry truly holds for us, if these kind of bland, poppy songs are the "bee's knees" of modern America.

Oh.

and "I'M SO GANGSTA I'M SO THUG"? No.

December 11, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  29. steve

been following music for 50 years and Soul Sister was by far the best total production compared to most of the crap they call music today. young people today don't even know what real music is. anybody can throw out anything today and stupid people will call it music. sad

December 11, 2010 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  30. barneyfrankisabiggayfreak

I've never even heard of this song.

December 11, 2010 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  31. Seriously?

What does this matter? Any other song would have drawn a similar collection of posts. Surely, there is something more worthwhile to expend our energy defending or protesting.

December 11, 2010 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  32. Ryan

I guess its not a terrible song. Ive only ever heard a sample, and only once, but its not THAT bad. It certainly doesnt deserve to be the #1 song of 2010, but I'm not going to hate it just because its popular.

December 11, 2010 at 4:26 am | Report abuse |
  33. JacktheCritic

Yes, this is a terrible awful song. That's why its the top selling song on itunes. Cause it sucks. Right. I mean, why else would it be number one? Couldn't have anything to with the fact that its a bad song. No way. Everyone just bought it caused it sucked. Have I made my point?

December 11, 2010 at 3:35 am | Report abuse |
  34. chic

Do we have to listen to classical music so we're not called "dumb" or "low class" ? Come on... we live in the year 2010 not 1800. We tend to call other's music preference as "garbage". Some people pretend to like certain kind of music because they want to be called "high class". Like it or not this song is itune "best-selling".
    Sorry, just my opinion. (not that I like the song, I never did and probably I never will but I respect other's choice of music).

December 11, 2010 at 3:30 am | Report abuse |
  35. jDa

I've never heard the song,but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it sucks ass.

December 11, 2010 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |
    • nateD2002

You will be just fine out there on that branch because you are 100% right.

December 11, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  36. K

Hate all you want, this group is laughing all the way to the bank

December 11, 2010 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  37. Fat Tony

What I find funny are the complaints about commercials. With my Roku and Wii streams, I hardly ever see a commercial.

Sheep.

December 11, 2010 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  38. Lukasmac

This song is a rip off of the Verve's 'So Sister'

December 11, 2010 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  39. Bob

Figures...only a person lame enough to use an i-ANYTHING would listen to such garbage.

Excuse me while I load some more George Jones and Merle Haggard on my Blackberry.

December 11, 2010 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  40. vieille

I hate that song. It needs to go away to an easy listening radio station and never come back.

I'm honestly surprised that the most downloaded wasn't any of Lady Gaga's songs.

December 11, 2010 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
  41. Marco555

James Taylor's wild cousin.

December 10, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Noodle Bubble

I humped a garden gnome. It made my armpits bleed. Probably because of the gerbils in my ears.

December 10, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  43. DDEY

Why pay for it when u can download it for Free!!!

December 10, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Loki

Loit–no hate–just don't like the song–stop your hating of rock–peace, love and speed

December 10, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  45. The Loit

Oh my gosh guys, this is an amazing song! Stop hating. My Young Life group sings it every week, it's so spiritual and his voice is perfect. You're just jealous no one listens to your rock and metal "music". And I use that word music sparingly when talking about rock and metal.

December 10, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

"My Young Life group"

More like 'Young and Brainwashed'.

December 11, 2010 at 1:00 am | Report abuse |
    • The Loit

Bob, you have to understand, this song has a profound place in my life. Not accepting it is like not accepting God. I see that you're making a joke at my expense but I I'll turn a blind eye like Jesus would do. Soul Sister is a Top 5 Song of all time along with How To Save A Life. I pray that you see the light soon.

December 11, 2010 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Drumzz

Jesus didn't turn a blind eye; he turned the other cheek. You have confused your parables. And saying not accepting the worst band working today is like not accepting God is ... wow, man. Wow.

December 11, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Loit

Drumzz. Please understand that I've been reading the bible my whole life, 13 years, so I know what I'm talking about. Sarah Palin messes up English all the time and so did Shakespeare. Fact. So blind eye, other cheek, whatever. I've been to more bible camps than concerts you've seen. Fact. In the past year, one song has been constant at these camps and it "Hey Soul Sister". It's proof that this song is quality because our minister's have chosen time and time again.

And I don't know what you're implying by saying "wow" about denying God. But I'll let the people at Yahoo take care of you because I reported your comment. HA! We'll see who's laughing when you're banned from the internet.

December 12, 2010 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
    • -d

Hey Loit, I get that you're 13, but you're still too old to be this stupid. Fact. You can't ban someone from the internet by reporting their post. Fact. I've been to WAY more concerts than you've been to Church camps, and I can tell you with certainty that Train make unoriginal conformist bland music that appeals to people who are already dead on the inside. Fact. Shakespeare is one of the greatest writers of all time, Palin pukes words out of her mouth, and to compare the two in ANY WAY, just proves how brainwashed you already are. Anyway, I'd usually say A LOT meaner stuff to you, but again, you're only 13, and I will only pray that you get over your self-righteousness.

December 12, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • The Loit

Don't you guys think it's kind of ironic that we are talking about whether a song is good or not on a message board for a story about how it's the most downloaded song of the year? It's proof that it's good. There is no argument. Look at the top selling book and movie of the past 2 years, you will see the best book- Twilight !! If you want evidence that something is good, look to see how many people like it.

December 12, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • drumzz

First off, turning a blind eye is an exercise in non-participation/ignoring of something. Turning the other cheek is an exercise in sacrifice and forgiveness through a form of capitulation, for Jesus' sake, as per his teaching. It would seem your time spent with the bible was not very fruitful, as these are basic tenants of Christianity. Furthermore, and more importantly, saying the word "Fact" over and over does nothing to substantiate your claims. (e.g.: "i have been to more concerts than you, etc") These are merely notions spewed out without substance.
      Next, one cannot be "banned from the internet". Just the visual that phrase provides makes me laugh. Banned from the internet? Does that even make sense?

Finally, consumption of a product does not prove that it is good: it mere proves that it is consumed. (sidebar: i remember when the hip-hop disaster "Laffy Taffy" was the most downloaded song on Itunes. that song was an embarrassment to humankind...) You show me a million people who buy something, that will not show you something good, it merely shows something bought by a million people. Now that's a FACT. Scuse me. Fact.

December 14, 2010 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  46. Loki

soul sister–bet he had his gonads remove to sing like that

December 10, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  47. luke

This song is the definition of a radio friendly song. The same chords, lyrics and melody half the easy listening songs you hear on pop radio.

December 10, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
  48. mike s

SOOOOOOO sick of this bloody song. Wah Wah Wah Wah Wah

December 10, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  49. mike

I knew it was going to be this or Rihanna or some stupid crap that no one likes, but the "mainstream" seems to love

December 10, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Phil

I wonder how much Train paid to have them say that songs #1? Its horrible.

December 10, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  51. myk c.

I was very amused with @ comment #6 & #7 with their respective replies. It's amazing how positve an negative works to idle human beings.

December 10, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Greg

That song makes me want to kick puppies.

December 10, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • you ass hole

killing puppies whats wrong with you get your mind out of the gutter

December 13, 2010 at 8:24 am | Report abuse |
  53. GreekGuy

I think this article has opnly gotten comments by those who hate him. are there no positive comments?! also, how do Sarah Palin and Justin beiber get mentioned in every place for comments on the internet!?!?!?!?

December 10, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Bebekashmir

This list seems like a good way to measure educational failure. Dumb people like dumb stuff.

December 10, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Joe (SRS)

I spent a month and a half with Train in the recording studio while they were writing music for their "Drops of Jupiter" album. I've worked with hundreds of artists, and in my opinion, Train is a very talented group that works very well together in the song-writing process. They worked hard for their success. They aren't a group that was produced and placed on the market by payola–they produced themselves for the most part, and pushed and pushed for their success. Great songs and great teamwork combined with hard work. Congratulations, Train. Keep it up!

December 10, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  56. JohnnyJett and the Dirty Socks

What about "Straight Outta Locash" CB4 is totally the bomb!!!

December 10, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Yeah, now you're talking. MC Gusto!

Don't forget about the NWH brothas in Fear of a Black Hat.

December 11, 2010 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  57. Karloff

Thankfully, I haven't heard this song until today–and I never want to hear it again.

December 10, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Dave

It should be F. S. Stack by Reggie Watts. Greatest song ever. As soon as I heard it, I ran to iTunes and grabed that.

Word! Adverb! Pronoun! Parenthetical. Where my gernads at!

December 10, 2010 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  59. nick

Some may not lot the song, but at least it is a group of real musicians that actually play instruments. Just Sayin.

December 10, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  60. The Bourne Blogger

I stopped listening to the radio b/c of how much they overplay this song... It stinks!

December 10, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Jas Hook

DON'T YOU EVER SAY AN UNKIND WORD ABOUT BIEBER!

December 10, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Sam

Oh I am going to be cool and bash this song....Please, everyone of you secretly likes this song and sings along with it. Idiots.

December 10, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Be Quiet

Definitely not true. This song sucks and you know it you big poopy pants.

December 10, 2010 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Amfleet

If I hear this song on TV one more time, I will destroy my 12 year old television.

December 10, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  64. the_dude

I will never listen to this dumb song because I don't want to turn gay like everyone else.

December 10, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Dougtheleper

Hey soul sister, heyey heyeyeyey heyeyeyey. Altogether now. That's a fling the ipod out of the car while on the highway tune if I ever heard one.

December 10, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  66. LgMcB

Once upon a time, many moons ago, I happened on an episode of Rock'N'Roll Jeopardy where Mark McGrath from Sugar Ray, Pat Monahan from Train and some other dude were competing. Monahan came off like a total smug, pompous a$$, d-bag and got his a$$ beat by McGrath. It was beautiful. He's music snob wannabe who's music pretty well bites.

December 10, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Malcolm

This song is nothing but a huge headache to me. I hear this stupid song everywhere, even on the Samsung commercials. Itunes was so stupid making that song #1. If there is such as suing a artist for writing a stupid song like Hey Soul Sister, I would get a lawyer and sue Train for every penny they got.

December 10, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  68. jdh

Oh My Gosh.Are you kidding.When I hear this song while driving it makes me want find the biggest tree to hit.Just Awful Song.What tha???

December 10, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Fairajocka

This makes it final, the Hokey Pokey is truly what its all about.

December 10, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Blitzcraigbop

Train is a horrible band with some of the most trite lyrics ever.

December 10, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  71. james

this is really sad

December 10, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Don

You mean it even beat out Sarah Palin's hit "It's all about me"?

December 10, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  73. gs

indeed, this is among the worst songs ever made. ever. this revelation has surely opened at least 4 circles of hell

December 10, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
  74. lauren

How unfortunate.

December 10, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  75. john

i love this song. the lyrics are awesome.

December 10, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Bill Pence Jr

Hey Hole Fister!

December 10, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  77. gewboy

train stinks

December 10, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  78. susanna

ughhh ! worst song ever!

December 10, 2010 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  79. You know it...

This song makes me want to annihilate an entire village of lawn gnomes...

December 10, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  80. iMatt

I see no one who comments here has any respect for other peoples opinions. Get over yourselves. It's just a song.

December 10, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • iDontThinkSo

Oh you're wrong. It's MUCH much more than a song!! It's the anthem for today's shallow youth!! It's the battle cry of the lonely teenage boy who always gets picked last in gym class!! It's the collective voice of every kid with bad taste in music and a low IQ!! It's MUCH more than a song. And that's my opinion, so I know you'll respect it. (Kisses.)

December 10, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • gs

yes, it is more than a song. it is evil personified. it is a neutron star of awful. it is all that is wrong with humanity rolled into 3 minutes. one day we will invent new words to describe the sheer horror it. in present day, we have no such words.

it is more than a song. much more.

December 10, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  81. BOO

Oh but this song is so "indie" and makes for happy hipsters parading mediocrity!!

December 10, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ichi

Wrong, hipsters probably totes hate the song, citing ~omg it's too popular~ as the problem.

December 10, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  82. HeySuckSister

I agree, it's overplayed tripe. Most kids buying it don't even know who Mister Mister (referenced in the song) was, but since I had to live through that, I can tell you they sucked too. This song is just an oozing pool of suck. But, hey, record whatever sells. Says a lot about Train.

December 10, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Tank u 4 bein a fwiend

Well, what do you expect from people that actually PAY for their music? For me, it would be backwards. You couldn't pay me to listen to this, you couldn't pay me to do inexplicable things with the CD either...

December 10, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  84. JoeT

Ohgoddammit. I hate all of you.

December 10, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  85. lizng

This song makes me want to punch babies.

December 10, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  86. youareactuallywitty

BETTER THAN BEIBER!!

December 10, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  87. mojo in Dayton

One time I was visiting Nashville and some people were standing outside, they had just been to a Train show and I said "What? Train sucks, they are so lame" and one of the people was a guy from the band hahahahahahaha

December 10, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Jas Hook

Train music is the background ambience they play in a loop, all day long in HELL.

And on a side note, Nickelback sucks, Daughtrey sucks, and so does every other artist whom I don't like.

December 10, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greekkid

I'd have to say "AMEN" to your nickleback comment who sounds the same as Hinder, Daughtry, Three Days Grace, and all of the other crappy bands in that genre.

December 10, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  89. idiocracy

This song makes me want to give myself an enima from a fire hose.

December 10, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Download Katy perry - California Gurls Music Video

Download Katy Perry – California Gurls in HQ with Direct Link

December 10, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Apelwood

I would rather clean my filthy toilet barehanded than ever hear that piece of crap again.

December 10, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  92. jd

Wasn't this one of the signs of the apocalypse?

December 10, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jason

Indeed, to be followed by Sarah Palin becoming president. The end is near...

December 10, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Nate from Atlanta

Really? I've never even heard of the song before this article. Don't even know who sings it.

December 10, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • gs

nate, stay away. stay far away. your ignorance to this song is a gift that i wish for every day, but will never get back

December 10, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Givemeabreak

Ah, it's still just as crappy today as it was the first time I heard it.

December 10, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Soul Brother

I hate this song. Every time I hear it I start singing along and smiling. No wait...I like this song. I should also point out that my cell phone ring tone is the Electric Slide, and I named my daughter Macarena. In conclusion, has anyone figured out who let the dogs out?

December 10, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  96. zachhershey

I love this song. It's a feel good song.....who doesn't enjoy songs that do just that?

December 10, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • cpop

I agree it is a feel-good song and as far as all the jerk comments, I am sure Train is just laughing all the way to the bank.

December 10, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laughing all the way to the bank

We can only hope he overdoses on heroin with his newfound wealth.

December 10, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yogismom

I agree. This is a great song. I always turn it up on the radio and sing along!

December 10, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  97. wkaad

haha that makes complete sense

December 10, 2010 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Joe in NJ

Insipid lyrics trying to be clever that just shows the laziness of the songwriter. "Hey soul sister, aint that Mister Mister on the radio" makes no sense whatsoever other than the songwriter couldn't come up with a better rhyme for "sister".

December 10, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Me in NY

Joe, I agree the song is terrible and annoying..... but your wrong..... the lyric makes sense.... Mr. Mister was an 80s band

You might remember their song "Broken Wings"

December 10, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Seola1

Umm... you do realize Mister Mister was a band in the 80's right? Before you criticize, maybe you should edumacatize (sorry, was just making up stuff to rhyme... right?).

December 10, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tempus13

Ah yess, I remember "Broken Wings" by Mr. Mister from my High School days. Brings back memories of a foreign exchange student from New Zeland I had a huge crush on.

December 10, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • jase

u are all morons. mr mister is a group from the 80's. and he heard it on the radio.. if the song was not good it would not have made it to number one. so stfu and whine about something else.

December 10, 2010 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe In NJ Sucks

Nice work Joe! Way to make NJ look a little more retarded than it already is. Now get back to watching Snooki

December 10, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe in NJ

I'm well aware that Mister Mister was a band from the 80's. The point I was trying to make is that the reference to Mister Mister makes no sense in context to the song.

December 12, 2010 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  99. MS

My generation's music is so bad that it almost makes Disco look good by comparison

December 10, 2010 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amanda Banana

Shut your mouth, disco is amazing!

December 10, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • dredzoc

the problem is, you are too lazy to look for today's good music . you wait for it to slap you in the face over the radio, and it's not going to happen. take some initiative. it's out there.

December 10, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry

I disagree dre.......you shouldn't have to look hard for good music. it should find you.

December 10, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • rebrockmusic@yahoo.com

Good music is not going to slap you in the face because radio and tv will not play it. They are out to catch the ears of the kids and teenagers. They don't care about adults because they are not the ones that buy the most music. The folks that own the studios are business men, unlike the old days when it was music lovers that owned them. They look at what will sell the most and not what is good. So what you get are catchy lame little songs that appeal to the young. The only way to hear music that is not full of the same old chord progression or the same damn beat over and over, is by looking for independent bands on the internet.

December 11, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  100. boocat

Never heard it. All of today's "music" is crap anyway.

December 10, 2010 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sara

I totally agree with you and I'm a teenager. I can't stand it it's all about love, hooking up, getting back together, breaking up, and drugs.

December 11, 2010 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Justin

Grandpa, is that you?

December 11, 2010 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
  101. Parrot Mangler

When I listen to this song, I'm usually dressed in latex, tied up and hanging from a ceiling with a dominatrix beating me into submission. Therefore it's awesomesauce.

December 10, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  102. bob

this song is awesome. obvioulsy u guyz dont know youre music... stick to political crap...

December 10, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • ianz

Yes, I no idea "I are" music.....

December 10, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stay classy, bob

We'll stick to picking the music, while you can stick to 'doin sum book lernin'

December 10, 2010 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Monkeytoes Foxtrot

It's as awesome as Lady Gaga, Fergie and Justin Beiber all rolled into one. It's Gagabeiberlicious.

December 10, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • susanna

Wow you're right I didn't know I was Music!! Stop listening to horrible music and start learning some English friend!

December 10, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • John King

Bob is right. Stick to the news, knucklehedz.

December 10, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobhater

we had no idea we were music? what????

December 10, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • myk c.

positive post--->negative replies

December 10, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • ERF

learn to spell Bob, obviously, the S is before the L dooche.

December 11, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  103. Neil

This proves without a shadow of a doubt that almost every person who buys music from iTunes has the absolute, 100% worst taste in music....and I am really having a hard time calling this crap song music. Good job everyone!

December 10, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • boobah

your elitism reeks. thanks for your expert opinion filled with knowledge and insight.

December 10, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • soulsistersux

So that means you don't want to dance with me to it then?

December 10, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Panty Snake

If this song doesn't make you feel warm and happy inside, you are a dark, cold-blooded, evil bridge troll. Since we're being judgmental here.

December 10, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • myk c.

negative post-->positive replies

December 10, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yay!

Awesome! Our fashion sense probably sucks too because we don't dress like you, eh?
      Music snobbery = internet win? Sweet! Congrats to you!!! Here's your prize!

Hip hip HOOORAAAYYYYYY!
      =)

December 10, 2010 at 10:33 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Goatnugget

I love this song, it makes me want to slaughter penguins and eat peanut butter.

December 10, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Auntie Warhol

mmm penguins & peanut butter. add some cool whip & taco sauce & i'm there!

December 10, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Scott

I was thinking more like clubbing baby seals and giving myself a ketchup enema........slaughtering penguins and eating peanut butter are my Sunday fun day thing.

December 10, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dougtheleper

I think that's on the next episode of Sarah Palin's Alaska

December 10, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  105. doomed

That song isn't even sang in key, I never thought this could be it!

December 10, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  106. train_wreck

Song suckz, so do you.

December 10, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  107. N

This makes me want to jump in front of a bus.

December 10, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Be Quiet

That song makes me want to rip my ears off.

December 10, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Thank you. This song is TERRIBLE. People will buy anything catchy.

December 10, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sherm

This is the first time I have ever heard of this song or seen that singer.
      I listen to music all the time, and frequently go to shows.
      I am familiar with the #2 song and singer, and familiar with the singer of the #3 song, but somehow "Hey Soul Sister" has completely slipped under the radar for me.

December 10, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • geez people

the song is overplayed, but to call it terrible is a bit much. and people buy it because it's catchy. what's wrong with that? not everyone wants/needs layer of musical complexity.
      and sherm, really? never heard of this song or train or even love the way you lie? you are obviously over 40 and not part of the itunes target customer base anyways, so what exactly did you expect?

December 11, 2010 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

You know, its odd. Im a big itunes fan and get all my music there. But somehow I missed this song completely. I had never even heard of it until I read this article.

December 11, 2010 at 4:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Squeegee

There's still hope for "old-school" style rock/pop songs! I find it ABSOLUTELY AMAZING this song beat out the likes of Usher, Kanye West, and the Black-Eyed Peas!!!! Long live fun songs that actually stand on their own because they actually have a memorable melody and don't need or use "auto-tune". Train performs & writes yesterday's kind of music for today-I love this band!!!

December 11, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mells

I hate this song more than any other sound on the planet.

December 11, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Justin

December 11, 2010 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Hey Internet Nobody, you really changed my mind about this song. I realized all it takes is someone to say it's crap and I'll believe it. You really saved me Mr. Because of your comment, I had a vision. A vision that this song is really bad, but the WHOLE WORLD was brainwashed and convinced it was great. You really are something, I have to tell you that.

You really are an incredible Nobody.

December 12, 2010 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
    • AAA007

This song makes me want to club baby seals... and probably any other small helpless animals I can find.

December 12, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
    • invisible nothing

This song was catchy, and terrible. Mister Mister is not soul anyway! James Brown, and Aretha Franklin are soul. It is terrible you have to say Mister Mister just because it rhymes. Just lazy, and not creative at all. That is what happens when corporations stifle creativity

December 12, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • SW

Your comment tickles me. Thank you for the honesty and great visual. You've made my day.

December 12, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kiki

I got tried of it playing on every single commerical on TV. It's still one of my favorites..... such a fun and happy song!

December 12, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • robjkelly34

Never heard the song and I am an iTunes freak!

December 12, 2010 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kell

I basically said who? I know I am not the prime demographic I guess because I mostly like songs which are complex (read requires skill to perform). But the current industry has simply been pushing 1-2 hit wonders, burning them out with overplay, and moving to the next thing the following week. There is no talent development in this. We had much better guitarists in the late 70's than we have had in the last 10-15 years (there have been a few exceptions, but most of them were still products of the 90's when there was still at least a little bit of talent development occurring still). There probably isn't a single player who has arrived in the last 10 years that you will still hear people talking about in 40 years, unlike so many of the guitar players of the 70's....

December 13, 2010 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
    • Meow Mix

It makes me want to kick a puppy

December 13, 2010 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |