Howard Stern signs with Sirius for another five years
December 9th, 2010

Howard Stern signs with Sirius for another five years

Howard Stern isn't done talking just yet. The shock jock has just signed a new five-year deal with Sirius XM radio, he revealed today.

Stern's previous five-year, $500 million contract was due to expire at the end of the month, and at one point Sirius XM CFO David Frear suggested he take a pay cut, which Stern refused.

Now, however, both parties have hammered out an agreement, and Stern announced on today's show, "I have come to the conclusion that the real innovators, the real geniuses are the people here at Sirius. I have signed a five-year contract to stay at Sirius."

While Stern didn't talk salary, he said his new deal was "very fair." Still, the controversial star, 56, says that he'll turn off his mic for good when his contract ends.

"I can say with almost certainty that this is my final five years on radio," said Stern.

1. chip chiperson

He's gonna need a wheelbarrow for all that money or something, tsh

December 10, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mentalRay

I forgot Howie "Hoo-Hoo I invented it Robin" was still on the air. I just think Howie the 1Billion Dollar Man is a bit out of touch these days. Opie & Anthony have always come off as more down to earth, especially the way they still interact with their fans. I could care less about how well he interviews celebrities, whom are more out of touch then Howie. It boils down to this: If you want to hear 20 year old Jessica Hahn interviews and replays while Howie takes Fridays and August off. Knock yourself out. If you want to listen and laugh with O & A live every day of the week live. Enjoy

They are the true workhorses of Satellite Radio. As Jay Leno always says, O & A are the most popular show in the history of satellite radio

December 10, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. BIG A

I was on the verge of cancelling my subscription if he didn't sign. Looks like 5 more years of the great one!!! Screw all the haters!

December 9, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. FaFoFoHi

The haters should listen for a week with an open mind. Stern is far from a "shock jock" nowadays. I am a 21 year listener and happy that this innovator is back for another 5 years. O&A copied his act - and badly at that. Listen before you hate!

December 9, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Superhiro

Opie and Anthony? Are you kidding? They are like the worst, least original DJs out there. How could you possibly compare them to Howard? I don't even like Stern but COME ON. Even I know they're nowhere near his league.

December 9, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jr posner

george takei=God

December 9, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. karla

Amazing to me that nothing special or different than just plan ole' bs can earn you that kind of bucks.

December 9, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  8. TaTa toothy

O&A are horrible, they suck at interviews and Opie has never made me laugh once. Anthony is ocassionaly funny, too bad he has to carry that clown Opie. Jim Norton is never funny either, liked him in Lucky Louie though. Ron and Fez are great though, the only pair that come close to Howard and crew.

December 9, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. loves the booey

The part about David Frear suggesting that Howard take a pay cut is not true. It was reported by an online article that the CFO said that Howard should take a pay cut which prompted Howard to get upset and say that maybe David Frear who makes 3.5 million as Sirius's CFO should take a cut in his pay. The next day on the show he found the actual article and nowhere did it say that and he apologized to David Frear on the air for getting upset over something that someone falsely reported. Combining articles that you just find online is poor reporting. It was obvious you just copied this information from several places. Go straight to Howard for the real info!

December 9, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bruno

nice wig

December 9, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lyle

O&A are FRAUDS! Like Damien said, they came WAY after Howard and barely qualify to walk behind him (in the path he has cleared). Howard haters mostly have never listened. He conducts interviews better than anyone out there and gets great celebs in his studio. He is the reason XM had to merge with Sirius and the reason there are 20 Million subscribers now. Hooray for us to have him for 5 more years.

December 9, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  12. sunless

go & see that http://www.SUPERSONIC.US.COM

December 9, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Damien

Opie & Anthony came many years after Stern, how could they be the innovator? And if they were so amazing, shouldn't they be getting the big money?

December 9, 2010 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. HamHands

There wouldn't be a show like Opie and Anthony if it wasn't for Howard. You probably don't even listen to the show so sthu.

December 9, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mike

How is anybody surprised by this? He pulls this "I'm sick of doing radio" crap every time his contract is up for renewal. Then the dumb suits cater to his every whim.

Opie & Anthony are the real innovators of modern talk radio, but they'll never receive their due because Mel Karmazin has his nose shoved too far up Stern's butt.

December 9, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Robbie Picard

I began listening to Howard Stern about three years ago. Quite simply he is the best interviewer I have ever heard in my life, his programming is consistently original and entertaining. if he is interviewing Eric the actor or Billy Joel he does it with the same authenticity. Oprah, Bill O'Reilly, and even Barbara Walters don't hold a candle to him. He gets none of the credit that he deserves. he's brutally honest not only with the people he interviews but also with himself is very rare to see total honesty. Larry King gets a lot of credit for his interviews, Howard Stern gets to the truth the heart and soul. He says what people are thinking but too afraid to say. Larry King has told lies made up the story how he was once friends with somebody who he was not, and Howard Stern is done everything with integrity yet people seem to have a better opinion of Larry. I'm absolutely thrilled that Howard is staying on the air! it's been a privilege to listen to such original and unique radio. Rush Limbaugh is a drug addict and a hypocrite at least I know for the next five years that the one person who speaks the truth. Thank you Howard Stern you've made a major impression my life.

Robbie Picard

December 10, 2010 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
  16. Pliny

He's still alive?

December 9, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Observer

Stern is a liberal stooge and his fans are retards.

December 9, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dino

If being a stooge means making consecutive 500 million dollar contracts I would love to be a liberal stooge. Yes his fans are "retards" myself included. Hey genius, are you enjoying your Bill Oreilly floor mats and we celebrate christmas bumper stickers you redneck trailer trash mongoloid inbred hillbilly.

December 10, 2010 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
  18. cheefsfury

AND EVERY SIRIUS EMPLOYEE WEPT AS STERN THE GOD OF RADIO BROUGHT THEM INTO THE PROMISE LAND

December 9, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |