Here's to a 'Glee'-ful holiday season
December 8th, 2010

Here's to a 'Glee'-ful holiday season

Yes Brittany, there is a Santa Claus.

How incredibly sweet was Tuesday night’s episode of “Glee”? The holidays are all about believing in magic, and that’s just what the show was this time around. From Sue’s Grinch right on through to Beiste’s Santa, it was all types of adorable.

Will was still sad that Emma's married and declined her offer to come to her and the hubby’s Christmas Eve party. Good for you Mr. Schue, because spending that day with the woman you love and her new dude would be AWKWARD.

It was interesting to watch Kurt and Blaine tackle the traditional male/female holiday duet, "Baby, It's Cold Outside," and I found their performance utterly charming. I know everyone really wants them to end up together as a couple, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Kurt’s love interest is going to be someone most people would least expect (like his bully, maybe?).

The whole show could have been viewed as one giant commercial for the new “Glee” Christmas album, but it was so well done that I felt myself welling up with tears a few times. I even found myself feeling sympathy for Rachel’s attempts to get back into Finn’s good graces, and my heart broke just a little for her when he stormed out before her serenade of “Merry Christmas Darling.” And “Last Christmas” is one of my favorite songs, so I loved the Rachel-Finn duet at the Christmas tree lot.

Brittany’s belief in Santa Claus was absolutely perfect, because of course she would. I heart Artie for his determination to not ruin Christmas for her by enlisting everyone to play along. Beiste’s speech to her about why Santa wouldn’t be able to help Artie was just as sweet as Brittany’s desire to gift her boyfriend with the ability to walk. There's so much more to Britt than just hilarious one-liners, and the show has been smartly paced to reveal that fact.

I knew I wouldn’t be able to make it through the show without shedding at least a few tears. Sue’s redemption from being the type who would load the Secret Santa with her name and then steal gifts from orphans to being the person who made the holiday bright for Will did me in.

Here’s wishing you all a “Glee”-ful holiday season!

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television • TV recaps

1. MikeMazz

Really fun touching Xmas episode. They did a good job with it.... but I have to say Rachel gets more pathetic each week.

December 9, 2010 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Or Shout

Why attack the reviewer? That's so 7th grade!
    I enjoyed the Christmas episode for what it was – a sentimental slice of Christmas cheese. Viewers who didn't find themselves smiling at some point during it probably steal candy from orphans.

December 8, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Be Quiet

I'm convinced CNN has hired a 7th grade girl to write the Glee review each week. Poor grammar, bad spelling and nothing but gushing about how great the episode was week after week.

In my opinion, season one was great, but this season has been very uneven. I will say, though, that Naya Rivera's "Valerie" was the best song of the series to date.

I find it funny that one of the overall messages Glee hopes to convey is that we shouldn't live in a world of stereotypes. Yet, every week, they do nothing BUT stereotype. The new overweight girl likes to eat! The gay guy must be the best bet for wedding planning and shopping advice!

Get back to the story you started to develop in season 1. I see a shark lurking in the water ahead, and you're about to jump it.

December 8, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • UM

Seriously? The guy who does the show is Gay and you are saying that he is stereotyping give it up already.

December 9, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Be Quiet

@UM: Yes, he is stereotyping. That's why it's so puzzling to me. I'm hoping the gay jock bully turns nice and ends up with Kurt and that Blaine is fleshed out more. As a gay man myself, I just want to see more "gay life" represented than just the stereotypical wedding planning, big hat wearing, Gypsy singing types. Not that there's anything wrong with those...but there are plenty of gay men, just like me, who can't identify with those stereotypes.

December 9, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • UM

I am sure there are alot of gay guys out there that are like that. Maybe they don't feel the same way you do. Oh well move on you watch it or you don't.

December 9, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Be Quiet

Oh I'll be watching. I've been addicted to Glee from the moment it started. The great music and the nice eye candy definitely outweigh my issues with the plot. : )

December 9, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Amanda

Love the episode, especially the "Baby, it's cold outside" duet.

Oh, and not to be a nitpicker, but in the third large paragraph, 'there' should be 'their.'

December 8, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. DougB

It was a good solid Christmas episode last evening. I though Sue as the Grinch was perfection. I also liked the song that Rachel sang, actually both of them, and as annoying as I find her, I found myself feeling sorry for her. I loved the Kurt and Blaine duet–it was pitch perfect! I also agree with the CNN staff writer that Blaine may not be the one Kurt ends up with–I've been thinking this for a while. The only sour note for me came at the end when Sue decorated Schuster house with the Glee Club only to tell him "I love Christmas, but I hate you (Will)". Was that for real, if so that was odd, if it was a joke, if fell flat with me.

December 8, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Alex

Sasha, you're absolutely right, a ratty teddy bear would have been perfect. Have to say, I'm still pretty sick of Rachel, and I personally thought that Mr. Shue going to see Kurt because "he's good at shopping" was a bit on the stereotypical side, but then Mr. Shue is one to stereotype on a regular basis, so I was cool with it.

Still, this episode was all about Brittany, and even this old Grinch's heart grew three sizes by the end, and I love, LOVE that instead of it being Sue giving the most incredible gift, it was Coach Beiste. She's become a fully rounded character on the show in such a short time, without having to be shoved down our throats (IAgain, I'm looking at Rachel and Kurt).

Marry Christmas, Brittany, this show was perfect for you.

December 8, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sasha

i think the fiin rachel problem is honestly Rachel's character has not really been looked into. Sure she sings a lot but the only real points they have ever touched on was her mom storyline and her on and off again with Finn. Where are her gay dads? All we see is Diva Rachel. They even showed Sue's softer side but its just funny that one of their main characters (singing anwyay) has been marginally developed. look in comparison to Finn lines, Schue lines, Sue lines, Quinn lines. Its hard to have empathy and patience for a person who is as shrill and 2D as they make her. I do love the mix of different 'holiday' specials. I think the Kurt thing was probably less because he was gay and more because Kurt has always been incredibly fashion forward. Either that or I am incredibly optimistic. However I do find that being denied the chance to meet Brit's parents was just a rob. That could have easily been the highlight of the night if the "went to have a really big poo" comment is anythign to go by,

December 8, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. sasha

I wait anxiously to see the reviewer's take every week. Which is a bit sad I know. I loved the episode. It was heart warming. The mech legs that were pulled out at the end were pretty spectacular. I was hoping to see Kurt at the end with the rest of the group at Mr. Schue's. He may not be a new direction anymore but he is still family. I love brit, I love everything they do with her. Same as Becky who was adorable as a rain-dog. Surprisingly they sidestepped and did not sort of pick up from grilled cheeseus on the theological discussion you would expect with singing chrismtas tunes. All and all good episode. All it needed was a ratty teddy bear

December 8, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Gleesformorons

You botards need to get a life. This show sucks and you're all idiots for watching it. Fools!

December 8, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brooke

Who the h3ll says "botard" and considers themselves the authority on bashing others? HOLY SHIZ, I think I just found a real life hoosier hill billy online! You guys got internets out there finally? I can picture you now, twittering your hate for glee:

Just slammed Glee AGAIN on CNN, got to finally use phrase BOTARD. #WordsNotJustForHoosiers

Toolbag.

December 8, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • babiyaga

@Posh-Kenneth- holy ****. Serious burn. Twitter burn. Hoosier burn. Epic.

@Gleesformorons... lol... what an idiot. I HATE THIS SHOW SO IM GONNA POST ABOUT IT. Woah... seriously evil and devious plot there genius. I'm sure Fox is cancelling it right now for ya.

December 8, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • MikeMazzla

Dude seriously im sure there are plenty of shows you watch that others consider bad so maybe get a life and stop showing who the real moron is...

And a real plus is that there is a huge number of women out there that are all over a GL straight guy who likes watching Glee...

December 9, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gleesformorons

All the replys just prove my point. You're all morons. As for Botard....look it up. You obviously don't know what it means. And Brooke.....on mentally challanged idiots use the term Hoosier.

December 9, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Botard is a made up word. "Sad" which describes you for posting twice on an article about show you don't like.

December 10, 2010 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |