Another bad flight for director Kevin Smith
December 7th, 2010

Another bad flight for director Kevin Smith

He may be known for playing "Silent Bob" but director Kevin Smith has no problem airing his gripe with Virgin airlines.

In a blog post yesterday, Smith, calling himself the "Loudmouth of the Skies," sounded off about not being allowed to board his Virgin America flight despite arriving at the gate with plenty of time to spare.

"We pleaded with Manny (the unfriendly face of Virgin America JFK working the gate), pointing out the remaining time (there were still 8 minutes before scheduled departure), and pointing out that the jetway was still attached to the plane," Smith writes. "Flying as much as I do (usually up at the front of the plane), I know that the jetway only gets pulled back ONCE THE PLANE DOOR IS SECURELY CLOSED."

Making matters worse, Smith had already checked his bags, which contained his wife's medication. "They didn’t even TRY to call someone about getting the bags off," says Smith. "They can’t do that,' was all I got."

Though Smith – who was reportedly removed from a Southwest plane earlier this year for being too fat - missed his flight and vowed never to travel via Virgin again, the airline later apologized and he's had a change of heart.

"Virgin America did EXACTLY what any corporation/company should do when their customers have issues with their service: they almost instantly self-corrected," he said. "I appreciate that they’ve done their best to repair damage and apologize.

« Previous entry
  1. free prescription card

I believe this is among the such a lot vital info for me. And i am glad studying your article. But wanna observation on some common things, The web site style is ideal, the articles is in reality nice : D. Good job, cheers

September 30, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Work at Home WiKi

I think that is one of the so much important info for me. And i am satisfied reading your article. But wanna observation on few general issues, The website taste is perfect, the articles is in reality excellent : D. Excellent task, cheers

September 28, 2012 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
  3. Joe

That fat doosh should not fly any more. He should walk, that way he won't have any problems with the airlines, and he might just lose a few pounds.

December 9, 2010 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  4. craig

In order for a flight to leave on time, the boarding cutoff is usually 10 minutes prior in order to perform the weight and balance calculations and complete the rest of the load paperwork. And, if you are stupid enough to put your medications in your checked luggage where they may get lost, you get what you deserve. There are way too many people that think the rules to no apply to them. Well done Virgin on saying 'sorry, you are too late!'

December 8, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mkjp

All I ever hear at the airport is people's names being called over the PA to get to their flights. And I have been on flights that have been delayed up to an hour waiting for stragglers. So why not let him on with 8 minutes to spare if the jetway is still in place?

And I thought they didn't like to fly a plane that had someone's luggage but not the person on board...so what gives? Maybe airlines should stop picking on this guy...

December 8, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Heather

Kevin Smith needs to stop flying and start taking Amtrak.

December 8, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  7. RJ

How can the plane have been allowed to leave with his luggage on board, but not him? Isn't that a huge violation of security protocol?

December 8, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  8. michele

for the rest of us, the standard rules of boarding that STOPS 10 minutes before scheduled departure always applies. he must think he is really special.

December 8, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  9. C

Planes close the door 10 minutes before depature time. They are always very clear that you have to be there by then. He was 2 mintues late and he has nothing to complain about. He doesn't deserve any special treatment.

December 8, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  10. haha

Kevin Smith bad-mouthed southwest a few months before they were designated the best airline. Now he's complaining for missing a flight because he arrived a FULL EIGHT MINUTES BEFORE DEPARTURE!!

Why does he have any credibility? Does anyone here watch his movies? I hope not. They suck.

December 8, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  11. babycelebs411

Once they close the gate, no reason to argue:) Stand by is the only opion and 8 minutes is really pushing your luck. In the meanwhile lots of celebrities prediciton on our Celebs911 page with video postage. Today Victoria Secret supermodel: http://babycelebs411.com/2010/12/08/happy-birthday-benjamin-son-of-gisele-bundchen-and-tom-brady/. For celebs predictions check out our Celebs911 page.

December 8, 2010 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  12. michaelfury

All he needed was a "well-dressed man" to expedite his boarding:

December 8, 2010 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  13. dpdrw

The pilots are running final weight and balance numbers so they can fly the flight. That's why they tell everyone to board 10 minutes early. Mr. Smith most likely would have caused a delay for everyone so they could rerun those numbers. They also may have given away the last seat to a standby passenger, who was there ON TIME. I don't believe the rule is "Passengers, except for Kevin Smith must be present 10 minutes before departure."
    And people who check their medication are idiots...total idiots.
    If I ran an airline, Mr. Smith's business wouldn't be welcomed. He's way too big for his britches, LITERALLY on Southwest.

December 8, 2010 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  14. rider_83

You people, including the so called reporter (gossip monger) need to get a life. You people are pathic and you explain why America is becoming a low class country! All of you women pretending to be men should be sent to Iraq, so you can see what real men look like! Then they should execute you to get rid of useless people of our society.

December 8, 2010 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  15. Pat

He should have shown up on time, he said his baggage was checked in an hour prior to boarding. I assume since he's a super star he flies first class which boards first so he should have been early. As for the minutes I bet he's going by his watch, which the rest of the world doesn't go by, when they announced they were boarding he should have shown up then. I don't know maybe he was trying to make a grand appearance. As far as the meeds go I always carry mine on my person, not in checked baggage which I bet he was B.S.ing about to make more of a case. I hope we don't have to hear from this guy overtime he has a bad flight.

December 8, 2010 at 12:39 am | Report abuse |
  16. bjn72

my question is why wasnt the wifes meds in her carry on. was she taking something that wasnt suppose to be in her carry on that she was affarid she could get arrested for? i have done enough flying to know that you take your meds with you in your carry on. the only thing i keep in my suitcase is stuff for a headache or tums.

December 7, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • chickyMiss

@bjn72:

have you ever had a health or medical problem that was severe, causing you to need to carry an excessive amount of medication with you? if you had, you would know that you take the necessities with you, and check what you can't carry.
      you're not judgemental, though, right?

December 8, 2010 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  17. D

I can't stand people like him using his 'celebrity status' to get special treatment. Loose some weight so you can jog to your gate and be on time, and you also wont have to purchase a 2nd ticket as well.

December 7, 2010 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Webster

It's spelled 'lose' not loose, idiot. Did you loose your grip on 3rd grade spelling?

December 8, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  18. Mike R

I work for an airline not Virgin but still.. please. It specifically states in the contract of carriage of pretty much every carrier that if you are not at the gate 15 minutes prior to a domestic flight your seat will be given away. I did feel for him over his Southwest seat issue but I won't on this matter. At 8 minutes prior to departure the flight crew is genereally getting ready for an ON TIME departure... something the consumer demands. Why should they be possibly late away from the gate for him? What makes Kevin Smith so special? When I fly I make sure I'm at the gate at least 30 minutes prior if he was connecting from another carrier it would be a different matter if the connecting flight was late arriving. I'm getting from the story he was not, he was just too lazy to get there early. The only reason Virgin cowtowed to him is because he's has an outlet to voice his opinion. Had this been any other customer the airline would've put them on standby on the next available flight, no apology, no compensation.

December 7, 2010 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Name*Cjl

Hmmm. People who travel "as much as he does" know not to put your meds in checked bags. Also, if your bags were checked and had time to clear security why were you so late to the gateway?

December 7, 2010 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike R

Meds in a checked bag is such a rookie mistake. You're right, he travels so much he should know this.

December 7, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  20. D

@Chaos. There is no proof needed or necessary. It was lack of poor planning. Complaining about it during or afterwards doesn't proove anything other than he only thinks about himself. Sit down and wait for the next flight.

December 7, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Avery

Kevin Smith is turning into a complete loser. Dude, your not relevant any longer. Try riding a bike to your next vacation is more like it, as you could use the cardio, kid.

December 7, 2010 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  22. DRT

Kevin Smith...here's an idea...DON'T FLY COMMERCIAL. It's called NetJets. They'll wait if you're late AND they'll give you a BIG seat all to yourself. No doubt that will help satisfy your ego pal.

December 7, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • CLH

I totally agree. Why is this guy such a friggin cheap ass? His new way of getting attention....LAME!

December 7, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Flipper

He is no longer relevent.

December 7, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  24. dex

You mean that you could load luggage full of explosives, not get on the plane and no one would take them off?

December 7, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • JG in NY

I was thinking almost the same thing – just without the explosives.... that it's the LAW that bags cannot fly if the passenger has not boarded. I would think it automatic that his bag would have to be removed from the plane if they were not letting him on. Left me thinking that his bag had actually not made it onto the plane... but seeing as he had arrived early and was fully checked-in... and don't they make announcements... "Mr. Smith, please proceed to the gate – and so on..." ...I just don't get this story.

December 7, 2010 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Unfortunately

The day after Thanksgiving, my daughter and I were traveling back home from Charlotte, NC. We knew the security lines would be rediculous due to the new TSA procedures, and all the wary travelers, so we decided to get to the airport 2 1/2 hours early. It took us 45 minutes to get through security, and another 20 to get to our gate. We had plenty of time to spare. Low and behold, we noticed a man and his son running to an adjoining gate. A few minutes later, comes the mother, screaming at the top of her lungs and using explecitives because they missed their flight by two minutes. The plane had not pushed off. She ranted for another five minutes... I was waiting for security to come and take her away... Do you know CONTINENTAL, rewarded her for her bad behavior and let her and her family on the plan after the door had closed. I was truly appalled. I guess it is up to the airline and the ticket agents, not all of the rules are enforced for everyone. I plan on complaining to the airlines. The tell you to get to the airport early for a reason.

December 7, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • chickyMiss

i find fault with your post.

you're assuming to know the entire situation. are you sure that they didn't decide to take off early, and the family missed *that* time by two minutes? or that a ticket agent held them up while checking in for an unbelievable amount of time? or that security stopped her and made her throw away her something to do with her child – my god, i will never forget the woman who had to drink her own BREASTMILK, for the love. with airlines, you just never know. i've had a string of problems with flights before, and i'd hate to think i was being judged by the bits and pieces of conversation that someone near me heard – and the rest projected.

December 8, 2010 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
    • Unfortunately

Well, because she was screaming sooo loud all the details of what happened, I did get to hear that she was "supposedly" in the security line for an hour and a half, and that is what "supposedly" had her and her family running late. Sorry you find fault with the truth... her husband and son had made it to the gate before she did. Why didn't they get on a motorized cart that folks use to usher people to the gate faster? Why didn't they have security call ahead to the gate to inform them 3 people were on their way... I am writing to say that procedures are never consistent and her behavior was not acceptable. My 9 year old child had to witness this unacceptable behavior... The sad part was, there was a group of African Americans watching and the first thing that came out of their mouth was..."if that was me, I would have been arrested by now." The woman and her family happened to be white. How sad was that for everyone to witness what had taken place. There were many faults with what situation.

December 8, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
    • chickyMiss

are you kidding? she should have grabbed a ride on a motorized cart (which are typically reserved for the handicapped, injured, etc.) or had security call ahead. you're right. how easy that would have been. maybe next time i'm in the security line, i'll just have them ring the gate ahead for me – they're not busy, they do it all the time!

also, she was the MOM. she had the stroller and everything else, right? are you forgetting about all of the crap that she had to take through the security gate? that's why she was behind, i'm sure.

all i'm trying to say is, you DON'T know every piece of the puzzle. continental doesn't reward people for being late. they might accomodate them on another flight, but they don't reward them.

i'm obviously a person who can't stand quick judgements. like saying that the party would have been arrested were they black. that's a ridiculous judgement/statement to make, in my opinion, which calls for a world of opinion and speculation.

lastly, if that's the worst thing your nine year old has seen, she's doing pretty well.

in all honesty it's moot. happy holidays.

December 8, 2010 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fortunately, I am done talking to an idiot like chickyMiss

Noticing from the other comments you posted on other peoples blogs, you really don't have any pertinent information to provide other than criticising everyone for posting their OPINION. Her son was a teenager. She did not have a stroller. Obviously you have not travelled much to know that Security can call ahead, and that those motorized carts are not just used for handicapped and elderly... Seriously...Shut up already. I never said that the party that was black would have been arrested. I said that they said they would have been arrested if they acted in that manner. And you know what, I agree with them. The way our society is, I don't doubt that would have happened. And as for my 9 year old, It was sad for her to witness a grown a** woman acting like that. My 9 year old has more restraint. Please stop posting, cause your ignorant.

December 9, 2010 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  26. Jen

Although this article didn't mention all the details, other sites have mentioned that he arrived an hour early so went to the pre-boarding lounge to wait. This article also didn't mention that he was using a concierge (someone who ensures he'll board on time) because he prefers to board last. Apparently it's standard practice for a flight concierge to board their clients with 10 minutes to spare. It puts a different spin on it anyway.

December 7, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Katie K

good point. re the medication, however, anyone who flies regularly must be aware that if medication is needed, it shouldn't be in checked luggage – it should be in carry-on.

December 9, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Cieje Valentine

This is simply another case of policy overriding common courtesy. ESPECIALLY with the medication/baggage. I never fly, but the next time I don't fly I'll make sure I especially avoid virgin airlines!

December 7, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Sally

Many airlines close boarding 10 minutes prior to departure even if the plane is still attached to the jetway. I learned this lesson with American Eagle, when I stopped at the magazine stand and then got to the gate 8 minutes prior to departure time. Did not get to board and was put on standby for the next flight.

December 7, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  29. D

If he flies so often, he should know to get there earlier than 8 minutes

December 7, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chaos

Some times, despite best efforts and especially in recent times, people cannot arrive at the gate as quickly as planned. Your evidence that Smith was negligent is? Oh yeah. You don't have any.

December 7, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • FlippinSweet

I'm pretty sure the evidence would be not managing to get to the gate more than 8 minutes before the flight was scheduled to depart. Did he forget he was supposed to be on a plane? If we all know how difficult it can sometimes be to get through an airport in a timely fashion, I guess that means one should PLAN AHEAD.

December 8, 2010 at 5:47 am | Report abuse |
  30. Frank

Eight whole minutes???? He thinks he AND HIS WIFE, can check in, make it down the jetway, find their seats (if they haven't been given away to standbys), stow their carry ons, sit down, buckle up, and have the crew update the passenger list, close the door, pull the jetway and pull back IN EIGHT MINUTES.

HA!

And he says he flys often....

December 7, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Craig

It says he arrived at the gate, not the airport with 8 minutes to spare.

December 7, 2010 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • James

Uh, yeah, you can make it down the jetway, board the plane, stow the carryons and sit down in eight minutes. Haven't you ever flown before?

December 7, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • ryan

Ummmm... yes actually. if the jetway isn't full of people it takes roughly 90 seconds at most to make it from the gate to your seat, and how long does it really take to stow your carry on and put on your seatbelt? If you can't do this in under 3 minutes, something is wrong. And they aren't supposed to close the door until 5 minutes prior to the listed departure time- so it sounds as though he couldn't have arrived at a more perfect time. And by the way, "flys" is spelled "flies" – that's 3rd grade sh** dude

December 7, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ben

Yes, actually it only takes about two minutes to walk down the empty jetway, the empty aisle to your seat, put away your carry-on and fasten your seat belt. It's really not complicated, given someone told me where my seat was I could probably do th entire process with my eyes closed in under 8 minutes.

December 7, 2010 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chaos

Yes. Its done in about that amount of time frequently. Your post is a major FAIL.

December 7, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Phranc

He "flys" [sic] more often than you are able to spell the word correctly.

December 7, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pam

They had actually been checked in for an hour and many celebrities use a service that ensures they are the last one of the plane to avoid being oogled. He used that very common service for this flight, but the person at the gate wouldn't let him on. It really was the gate agents mistake.

December 8, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |