An explosive finale for 'The Walking Dead'
December 6th, 2010

An explosive finale for 'The Walking Dead'

Is there any hope left for humanity? That was the central question of Sunday night's exemplary season finale of "The Walking Dead."

Rick and his fellow survivors found their way inside the CDC building, where they met Jenner, the last doctor left there. (Noah Emmerich, best known for "The Truman Show," had an incredible performance.)

After a night of enjoying the simple pleasures of hot water and a hot meal, they soon find out just how bleak the situation is, as many of his colleagues either left or committed suicide. He also showed them what happens to a person's brain when it's infected - everything that makes someone who they are is gone forever. (It's later revealed that the test subject, TS-19, was his wife, who ran the CDC. That explains why he stayed behind as a promise to her.)

We also saw a flashback of Shane, who mistakenly believed that Rick was dead. The triangle between Rick, Lori and Shane should continue into next season.

Before long, the survivors realize that, not only has Jenner lost all hope, but he plans to go down with the ship - the CDC will self-destruct as a preventative measure once all power runs out. (Oh, and did I mention there's only 30 minutes left?)

Jenner convinces Andrea and Jacqui to stay behind as the others try to find a way out of the bulletproof windows. Right on time, Carol pulls out the grenade Rick found in the tank, and the survivors shoot their way out. And, at the last possible moment, Andrea runs out to safety with Dale. He convinced her to go.

Jenner told Jacqui that Andrea and Dale made it out, before she held his hand to await their fate. This was just one of the many affecting scenes in the finale, an episode which only featured walkers very briefly at the end. Rick, Lori, Shane, Andrea, Dale, Glenn and the rest continue to hold on to the hope that maybe this isn't the "extinction event," as Jenner called it.

Unfortunately, we're nearly a year away from the next season - with so many questions left up in the air. Where will our survivors go, and what awaits them? Where can they go to find simple food and shelter? Will Rick learn the truth about Shane and his wife? (And what did Jenner whisper in his ear?) What happened to Merle? We'll have 13 episodes in 2011 and 2012 to find out.

Were you also impressed by the finale? Would you make the same decision as the majority of the survivors? Share your thoughts here on video or in the comments below.

1. Wisconsin

I thought the show was absolutely brilliant. Now these are the typical zombies that you would imagine and not those of resident evil where they're super advance and crazy crap like that. The only negative thing i have to say is that we have to wait a whole year just to watch the next season, which SUCKS. But can't wait for it..............

does anyone read the comics or know a place where i can read it online?

December 13, 2010 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  2. disappointed

I was disappointed with the finale. I was expecting more zombies and more action, and I was bored crazy with this last show. For once, I have no interest in seeing it again, where as I watched all previous shows at least twice to make sure I didn’t miss anything. And, this thing with Rick, his wife and his best friend – I’m just sick of it. If I recall, in the 2nd show Rick was telling Shane all about his marriage problems and how miserable she was acting, how they weren’t talking, etc., etc. Seems like she was having a really good time with Shane, didn’t seem like a rebound thing, or "I'm just so lonely thing" – so to believe she suddenly became devoted to saving her marriage and ignoring Shane, yeah, okay! I really liked the show, I just wish it didn’t have so many loose ends – I can’t say unbelievable plots, because after all, it is a zombie movie.

December 8, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Feeniegal

I just want to know if the CDC really has such a safety security system. That was the best part of the entire show for me. Just watched it for the first time on Sunday, but did watch the entire marathon. Its ok, but not a show I'll keep up with.

December 7, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. yep

agreed: pregnant. i heard a hilarious theory that Rick was a different form of zombie. I almost coughed coffee all over my monitor laughing.

December 7, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  5. D

The show is kinda cheesy...

December 6, 2010 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Canadajeff

Any idea what George A. Romero thinks of the series?!

December 6, 2010 at 9:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. shawn

I wish that they would have been brave enough to have started with 13 seasons instead of 6. I am happy they were brave enough to film this series in the first place however.

December 6, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. tallahasse

Man, she's preggers..that's going to be interesting..how do you hide and run with a crying baby?

December 6, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. matthew

I love the series, but they need more episodes. PERIOD. Network shows run 20-24 episodes a season, and 13 just sucks. I feel the same way about Mad Men & Justified. Cable series run far too few episodes. Then when they turn around and sell complete seasons, they sell for the same price as network series. By the time the series starts to pick up and gain some steam (where network shows begin their 2nd half) they just end suddenly, and I have to wait a full year to start again. If they're only going to run 13, why not have 13 in the fall, then a 2nd 13 in the spring...or even 10 and 10. 13 weeks straight, then 39 weeks with NOTHING is a sure way to lose your audience (especially in this world where everyone has about a 15 minute attention span).

December 6, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. RMRYZARC

True, the finale was a little unoriginal, but I still think it was pretty entertaining. I was left feeling/thinking "NOOO! I DON'T WANT TO WAIT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!" I think the show will still be a great hit when the next set of episodes rolls out next fall... and I'm still hoping to hear it I'm a winner for a "stagger on role"! :) Love this show!

December 6, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Crystal

I enjoyed the episode. Could have used more Daryl Dixon, but at least there's always next season!!! And, yeah! Where the heck is big brother Dixon anyways?!?!

December 6, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. WinchLock

I'm kinda disappointed with the season finale. Still no sign of Merle, the shamefully cheesy low-budget CGI explosion, (which shockingly didn't shatter any car windows), the stereotypical, self-destruct countdown, and the lack of any closure or details to guess what direction they may try going. At least I would have expected maybe a road sign at the end to give a clue where they are heading or maybe a quick CB chat between Rick & Shane about where to go now.

I really loved the high quality in the first couple of episodes, but since then it has devolved into an odd version of LOST. With a weak season finale and new episodes not set to air until next fall, I worry that many viewers are going to forget the show, causing low ratings and ultimately a swift axe by network execs. Maybe the recent firing of the writers will help, but unfortunately, only time will tell.

To it's credit, the episode was still fairly entertaining, but overall it was a very weak episode and a very disappointing season finale.

December 6, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Pliny

Yep. She's preggers. And it's Shane's.
    Or...it's a zombie-baby!

Another main-character killed off. This series is RUTHLESS with it's actors.

It was kinda RUTHLESS with TS-19 also. First time I've ever watched a bullet go thru a skull from the inside.

We've got to wait a YEAR for the next season??? God-d**m you Frank Darabont!!!

December 6, 2010 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • tizroc

No, she is pregnant and she doesn't know whose it is... it all happened in one day... although Shane did "Get there first"... Yes, Shane knows but since he is faced with pushing forward or tearing his family apart he decides the better part of revenge is sleeping warm at night.

December 6, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tizroc

That was supposed to be Rick knows... but... At any rate that would be more congruent with the original source material and lead to more suspense than if she knows it's Rick's or Shane's. Yes, it's time for some good old Jerry Springer I don't know who my babies daddy is.

December 6, 2010 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Rob

You forgot to mention the whisper from the doctor to Rick. I think he whispered that his wife is pregnant.

December 6, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |