Olivia goes home on a spine-tingling 'Fringe'
December 3rd, 2010

Olivia goes home on a spine-tingling 'Fringe'

We've seen some pretty amazing episodes of "Fringe" - usually involving a twist ending of some kind. But Thursday night's episode stood head and shoulders above them all.

Picking up where we left of last week, Peter got a mysterious message on his phone from the real Olivia while he was in bed with "Bolivia" from the other world. After failing to recall  a phrase Olivia said to Peter last season, "Bolivia" pulled a gun on him: "I failed the test, didn't I?"

We've been witnessing the evolution of Peter's character, and this week, we heard vengeful Peter tell "Bolivia," "I'm going to get answers. And if I find out you did anything to Olivia, then I'm going to kill you."

Then, when "Bolivia" was tracked down holding a woman hostage, Peter asked the woman what her daughter's name was. He shot her without flinching when she didn't answer, knowing she was a shape-shifter.

At the same time, we saw "alt-Boyles" pulling off an act of great heroism, rescuing the real Olivia, and helping her escape.

Lance Reddick, portraying both versions of Boyles, turned in an Emmy-worthy performance here - especially as "alt-Boyles" struggled over whether to do the right thing for Olivia after she saved his son the previous episode.

Despite the fact that Olivia is now safe and sound where she belongs, "Bolivia" and "Walter-nate" are still out there, and it seems like the war between worlds has only just begun.

I can't wait to see where the show goes from here. I hope its pending move to Fridays doesn't place it in danger of cancellation.

What did you think of "Fringe" last night? Do you agree the show is at the top of its game now? And how great was Riddick? Where would you like to see it go? Share your iReport recap, or comments below.

1. Loren

Love Fringe and Anna Torv should get an Emmy just for being Anna Torv. While I am concerned about a move to Friday, I hope Fox realizes how many people time shift and Fringe is one of those shows that people like to watch later in the evening, to get that chill up the spine befre bedtime. Great show.

December 6, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  2. David

If Fox moves Fringe to Fridays that might not be so bad. It's currently in the slot occupied by
    CSI which is really dragging potential viewers away from it. If Fox puts Fringe into the 8 PM Friday
    slot where there isn't anything decent to watch on other networks (Medium has been cancelled, and
    the dreck on NBC, ABC, and the CW in that slot is worthless), I think the show could do
    better numbers.

There is no doubt that Fringe is a great show. But networks don't put shows on for our benefit. They
    put shows on in the hopes of attracting advertising revenue. No matter how well-written or well-acted
    Fringe is, the advertisers are the ones who determine its future.

That said, the entire cast on Fringe is fantastic, and the scripts are awesome. This past week's episode
    reaffirmed that.

December 6, 2010 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  3. Truthwillsetyoufree

I think Peter was the big winner. He got to be with Bolivia and Olivia likes him too. You rock Peter!

December 6, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  4. shannon

this is the best show I have seen on Tv since X-files. I hope to be watching it for many years to come. What a great cast!!!!!!!!!!

December 6, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  5. Victor

It's a damn sham that once Fox moves this show to Friday night it will literally be signing it's execution warrant.

I mena c'mon, have you see what happens to shows on Fox that air on Friday nights? The last Fox show to have decent ratings on Fridays was X-Files, and that was ages ago.

Rest in Peace Fringe, I just hope they let the creators give the show a proper ending, something Fox is also famous for not allowing.

December 5, 2010 at 10:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amy

I REALLY hope they don't cancel this show. It is such a refreshing change from all of the crappy reality/90210-esque garbage out there right now. At least this show makes you use your brain, and has some wonderfully unique concepts!

December 6, 2010 at 6:00 am | Report abuse |
  6. Susan

I knew this was going to be a show worth watching when it came out. For all of us that don't get into the 'reality show' scene, it's sci-fi, paranormal entertainment at it's best.

December 5, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  7. TJ

JJ Abrams did a home run with this series! I absolutely LOVE it! I only wish we had some understanding of what the cryptograms are all adding up to for each show. I understand that they tie in to each episode, but what's the end game there?

As far as this week's episode, I thought it was a pretty obvious gamble that Broyles was going to be the one to save Olivia from Walternate...which is going to make her response to Walternate's use of alt-Broyles to get alt-Olivia back all the more interesting, eh?

And I wonder if Peter will ever tell her that he slept with alt-Olivia? I bet he won't and that decision will ultimately cause him some trouble later in the series when she will obviously find out the truth.

So awesome....I anxiously await the show each week! I would be so ticked if Fox cancelled it!!

December 5, 2010 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  8. sibeall

I think FRINGE is amazing – love~love~love it!!!

December 4, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. aci79

It was a great episode. I've beginning to like the relationship between Olivia and Alt-Broyles, where they both have great respect for each other despite of walternate's doing. His horrible death was so heartbreaking. Walternate will probably blame this side for his dissapearance. Im hoping that the fringe team over there will come to their senses and join Olivia to restore hope between the two universes. I am a big fan of the show and will continue to be there regardless of the move.

December 4, 2010 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. SAM

BEST SEASON EVER! DEFINITELY UNDER RATED!!!! THEY NEED TO DO MORE ADVERTISING OR SOMETHING.. I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY IT IS NOT AS POPULAR AS THE OTHER TV SHOWS! HUHUHU! I LOVE FRINGE!!!! I JUST HOPE THAT IT DOES NOT GET CANCELLED SINCE IT IS BEING MOVED TO FRIDAYS NOW... CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT EPISODE!!!

December 4, 2010 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Hooked

Well I didn't think about the equal weight thing until you mentioned it just now, but if you noticed the state that Broyles' body was sent back in, his weight was definitely "altered," to put it nicely!

December 4, 2010 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Faithfulviewer

So, equal weight was required (?) to bring Bolivia back thus sending Broyles' body. What, then, will be the effect of Olivia returning home with no such equal weight being sent back?

December 4, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Fringie

Yes, equal weight for everything traveling between parallel universes is required – except for Olivia's unique talent which lets her freely move between the two. There is no equivalency requirement for her. Hooked hit it on the head with alt-Broyles.

December 4, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • RLSD

If you look carefully both time (dead) alt-Broyles was shown, it looked like they cut off the ends of some limbs – which would have made him equal weight with Olivia.

December 4, 2010 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Michael

I'm hooked... at 50+ years old it is refreshing to find a show I can enjoy each week. Each show keeps me guessing...

December 4, 2010 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  14. SKY

@drinkinmyhand-HELP IS ON THE WAY...1. YOU SAID YOUR GRANDMOTHER IS DEAD, RIGHT?
    WELL "THE DEAD ARE CONSCIOUS OF NOTHING AT ALL"
    THERE LOVE & HATE AND JEALOUS PERISHED" -ECCLESIASTES 9:5,6,10
    'FOR HE WHO HAS DIED HAS BEEN ACQUITTED FROM HIS SIN".
    SO ITS NOT YOUR GRANDMOTHER WHO IS HUNTING YOU....IT IS THE "DEMONS"
    MAKE A CLEAN BREAK, PRAY TO GOD TO SEND SOMEONE TO YOU WHO
    WILL TEACH YOU THE TRUTH, NOT LIES BUT THE TRUTH AND APPLY WHAT
    YOU LEARN...AND STOP WATCHING DEMONIC MOVIES FOR STARTER....

December 4, 2010 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
  15. Marcus

Best season of Fringe yet. Eight great episodes and counting.

Broyles is a man of integrity in both universes.

December 3, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  16. michael

'Entrada' lived up to the hype and then some. I'm always looking forward to the next episode as soon as one ends. Definitely following the move to Fridays.

December 3, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Fan

Fringe is amazingly good. Not since Babylon 5 have I been this captivated. I love the twists and Anna Torv portrays a character of amazing strength, depth and kindness. Hope we'll have many more seasons!

December 3, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  18. MommaCat

Fantastic episode! I agree that Reddick's portrayal was amazing, on both sides of the 'Fringe'. Here's hoping that the move to Fridays will only increase watchership rather than slate it for cancellation. The dynamics and thought-provoking episodes are by far more compelling than some of the other shows out there. This past episode not only brings Olivia home, but displays the concepts of loyalty and 'doing the right thing' in ways rarely portrayed elsewhere. Can't wait to see more!

December 3, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  19. DrinkInMyHand

My Grandma is dead, dead as a doorknob, she died of old age and she haunts me all the time. HEEEEEELLPPPPP MEEEEE

December 3, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Rob

This show just gets better and better. Extremely under rated. I'd like to see another showdown with the 2 Olivias and more of those mysterious special abilities the Olivia seems to be developing.

December 3, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  21. F_CHEESEFURY

TOASTER OVEN IN THE SKY

December 3, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Pete

Lance Reddick. Check your spelling! :) Great show, great episode. All the actors had some wonderful screen time.

December 3, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |