Bob Geldof: I'm behind two of the worst songs in history
December 3rd, 2010

Bob Geldof: I'm behind two of the worst songs in history

There's at least one person who doesn't get the warm-and-fuzzies when he hears "Do They Know It's Christmas?" and that would be Bob Geldof, the man who penned the 1984 holiday hit. Geldof recently let it slip that he's completely tired of the tune.

"I am responsible for two of the worst songs in history," he told Australia's Daily Telegraph. "[One is] 'Do They Know It's Christmas?' The other one is 'We Are The World.'"

Both singles united the era's biggest hit makers to benefit famine relief in Africa, specifically Ethiopia. The "Do They Know It's Christmas?" ensemble consisted of Brit bigs like Boy George, David Bowie, George Michael and Paul McCartney, while 1985's "We Are the World" was made up of American icons including Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and Diana Ross.

Despite the fact that he was making music for a good cause, both songs hit a sour note with Geldof.

"Any day soon, I will go to the supermarket, head to the meat counter and ['Do They Know It's Christmas?'] will be playing," he told the newspaper. "Every [expletive] Christmas."

The song even follows Geldof home, as local carolers often warble it outside his window.

"They think 'Do They Know It's Christmas?' is as old as 'Silent Night,'" he said. "Sometimes I think that's wild because I wrote it. Or else I am thinking how much I want them to stop because they are doing it really badly."

Post by:
Filed under: Music

1. Barnabas

It is appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it's time to be happy. I've read this post and if I could I want to suggest you some interesting things or advice. Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read more things about it!

March 2, 2011 at 5:16 am | Report abuse |
  2. dustan

The '80's was fueled by aids and cocaine. Far from innocent

December 4, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  3. portalpunk2

His face is far more depressing than his music. the man is balls to the walls ugly. what a horrid sight.

December 3, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ABK

Bob – I happen to love that song because it just sounds like Christmas to me. Sure the lyrics are not timeless, as with We Are the World, but you got what you wanted out of them.

BTW – I think you're a freaking god, and could probably put the phone book to a tune and it'd be incredible. If you ever need another wife, please look me up. :)

December 3, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joe

"I am responsible for two of the worst songs in history,"

I've got news for you Bob, you were responsible for more than just two.

December 3, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  6. wikileaks

I have information that will bring Bob Geldof down to the ground.

December 3, 2010 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  7. cheefsfury

WE ARE THE WORLD IS SUCH A GOOD SONG MAN

December 3, 2010 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  8. Catherine in Tulsa

Personally, I love DTKIC - The bells in the opening, Bono singing "tonight thank God it's them, instead of you", the spirit behind it, the innocence. I think it was still an innocent time where you thought that if you could raise enough money, you could actually do some good. Bob and Midge Ure's intentions were pure and from the heart and they should never be ashamed of that song.

December 3, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Douglas Fletcher

The '80s an innocent time? Nah, pretty much corrupt and depraved like so much of today, just different hair.

December 3, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daylight26

Ok sorry but I am not an English native speaker so maybe i missed something but....why was Geldhof responsible for the two songs? We Are The World (Jackson/Richie) so what has he to do with that song?

I think what he´s trying to say (and i do understand thát) is in a way the same happening to me....simply tired of always hearing the same song (s), over and over again, on radio stations, in shops and malls and all public places. For example, one of the greatest songs ever (to me) (The Eagles,Hotel California) but after all these years it makes me mad even hearing the first tune. It´s great music (Top 40 or so) but after all these years i just need a break from "popular music"...i guess Mister Geldhof is hearing "his" song in his sleep. How would we feel?

December 9, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |