Sarah Jessica Parker covers Elle magazine
December 2nd, 2010

Sarah Jessica Parker on meeting her twins

Sarah Jessica Parker is the second actress this week to confirm in an interview that yes, even Hollywood stars have to face getting older at some point. (Shocking, we know.)

And, like Reese Witherspoon, Parker, 45, tries to keep aging in perspective.

“I don’t know what I can do about the aging. Yes, I am aging. Oh my God, I’m aging all the time,” she tells Elle in the magazine’s January cover story. “It’s like those flowers that wilt in front of you in time-lapse films. But what can I possibly do? Look like a lunatic?”

Instead of focusing on the years passing by, Parker has turned her attention to the industry that she’s become an emblem of, thanks in part to her longtime portrayal of the sartorial risk-taker Carrie Bradshaw: fashion. The actress and producer recently added the title of President and Chief Executive Officer of Halston and Halston Heritage to her resume, but she says her involvement isn’t in name only.

“I said, ‘Please know this now: I will never do this for a title. I will never dip in and out of this. I’ll do it like everything else I’ve ever done. I’ll be involved down to the splitting of the atom,’” Parker told Elle. And while she admits she might not “have the language” of the business down quite yet – “I can’t always tell you the exact blend of a fabric,” she said – the mom of three is figuring it out.

Speaking of Parker’s kids, she also opened up on meeting her twin girls for the first time after their birth via a surrogate last summer.

“[Meeting them] is hard to describe,” she said. “Everything is suspended. I can’t even tell you what other sounds were in the room. I loved them immediately, but everything—their size, the shape of their heads, the color of their hair, their noses, their eyes—was new to me.”

So new, in fact, that Parker says she didn’t see a lot of resemblance between the twins and her 8-year-old son, James Wilkie, during that initial meeting. “They looked surprisingly different from James,” Parker said, “which I wasn’t expecting.”

Filed under: Celebrities • Sarah Jessica Parker

1. mimi

The surrogate was a gestational carrier, not an egg donor. It is very possible for a woman over 40 to produce her own eggs. The trouble is that it is more difficult for those eggs to be fertilized and for the woman to be able to carry and deliver the baby. In this case, my guess is that she may have undergone hormone treatment to produce more eggs for fertilization, and then those eggs are implanted in a healthy womb, in this case, a younger surrogate. That surrogate has no biological impact on the babies, she is just a carrier. If you look at one of the twins now, it does have some of her and her son's features. The other looks identical to Matthew, so I think that question has been answered

December 3, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Candice

I gave birth to 3 beautiful boys and I couldn't wait to "meet" each them once they were born. I totally understand what she means. Whether they are her's biologically doesn't matter. I wish her family the best.

December 3, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joe

Whever I see her, for some reason I think of Mr. Ed.

December 3, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. RFG

Wish I had the money to do this. The cost is astronomical.

December 3, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  5. alumette

To extract eggs out of a woman over forty, there is a treatment of hormones which makes women truly miserable and moody. WIth her schedule I doubt that SJ used her own eggs. All Matt had to do was to donate sperms to a surrogate. It is not in vitro. It is artificial insemination but it sounds fishy so they would say in vitro. Fat chance she did that.

December 3, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  6. alumette

I can only guess that her eggs were not involved in that process but only her husband's sperms therefore these girls are half bio kids of the woman who bore them and not hers. She cannot expect them to look much like their son. They will likely look more like her husband or maybe their bio mother. The important thing is that she is raising them and loving them so who cares about the biological aspects?...I am sure the background of the surrogate was spotless so she should not fear some horrific behavior as they grow up.

December 3, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. WLM

Jedi are you a moron?? they used SJP eggs and her husbands eggs.. Surrogate means they implant the fertilized egg from SJP amd Matthew Brodrick into the surrogate mothers Uterus.. They didnt use the surrogate mothers eggs... Boy you maybe should have read the article or understand what you are talking about before make an idiotic comment!! that is why she said she was surprised the twins didnt look like her son!!! SMH!!

December 3, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
    • LindaLou

I normally don't correct posts, but the guy doesn't provide eggs. Matthew Broderick, who is a guy, would have provided sperm. Two eggs doesn't make a baby.

December 3, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. WLM

Jedi are you a moron?? they used SJP eggs and her husbands eggs.. Surrogate means they implant the fertilized egg from SJP amd Matthew Brodrick into the surrogate mothers Uterus.. They didnt use her eggs... Boy you maybe should have read the article or understand what you are talking about before make an idiotic comment!! that is why she said she was surprised the twins didnt look like her son!!! SMH!!

December 3, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. Jen

Congrats to her, here's to hoping she has the time to be with the twins...she seems awfully busy!!!

December 3, 2010 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
    • alumette

They are company for her son and husband. The nanny does the raising. She is busy with her craft and has little time for the home front.

December 3, 2010 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  10. Ann H.

I stupidly posted my comment on the wrong article- sorry!

December 3, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  11. Ann H.

I felt so sad reading this article. I have always believed in a women's right to choose, however in this situation, wow!
    I know that this couple tried terribly hard to make the right decision, yet it still seems too logical and even heartless
    to actively choose to terminate one of the fetuses. I have four children, the third suffers from autism and I know that my decision to have my fourth child was viewed by many as crazy. But this last child, a son, is a complete joy
    and we are so glad to have him. The logistics and financial concerns are always rough for us but we manage!

December 3, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
    • alumette

considering the population explosion and the reality that we are exploiting our planet close to disaster, why do people feel they are responsible for reproducing like rabbits?

December 3, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jedi

Of course the twins look differently than James Wilkie. There's no way they used her eggs–she's too old & that's why a surrogate mother was used. Hubby's sperm was used but not Sarah's eggs. Just like with Kelly Preston–John's sperm but not Kelly's eggs.

December 3, 2010 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
    • mary

how the heck would you know if they were her eggs or not??? idiot.

December 3, 2010 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
    • alumette

I am with you, No one wants old eggs.It is against the protocol not to mention the health risks to these women during the hormone treatment. The term in vitro is used to make it sound more acceptable. It is a lie but who cares? it's not our business anyway. They can afford these kids.

December 3, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  13. LaughOutLoud

She was great on South Park!

December 2, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  14. sure

"Meeting" her twins? How old were they? Did they remember her middle name? Were they nervous? Did they ask for autographs? How about seeing her twins for the first time?

December 2, 2010 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marky

Are you really that stupid? Did you read the article at all, or do you know anything about SJP? The twins were born via surrogate, therefore, she did not give birth to them herself, thus the expression, "meeting" her twins. Honestly, sometimes, it is painful to read posts from some of you people who just do not turn your brain on at all.

December 2, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |