Robert Downey Jr. as Lestat? Anne Rice digs it
December 2nd, 2010

Robert Downey Jr. as Lestat? Anne Rice digs it

There's been a lot of talk about breathing new life into Anne Rice's "The Vampire Chronicles" book series for the big screen, and the author believes she's found the ideal actor to play toothy Lestat: Robert Downey Jr.

"That would be wonderful. He is a great actor," she tells New York magazine's Vulture. "He would bring the gravitas and the wit and humor and all of that to the part, and I don’t think he’s too old."

A golden-locked Tom Cruise played the studly bloodsucker in 1994's "Interview With the Vampire," and Rice believes 45-year-old Downey could really sink his teeth into the role with a little help from the professionals.

"I think if he had a blond wig and makeup, he would be a wonderful Lestat," explains Rice, who says there have only been talks about doing a movie reboot but no firm plans as of yet.

"Lestat has to have the gravitas of a 200-year-old man and Robert Downey Jr. can do it," Rice said. " He can do anything. He’s just incredible… But I don’t know whether he’s really interested and I don’t know if that will work out. I hope so."

As for who could fill Brad Pitt's fangs as the tortured Louis, Rice has a certain TV star in mind.

"Matt Bomer is a beautiful, beautiful guy," she says of the "White Collar" actor. "He could play Louis."

1. private krankenversicherung ausland

That is really interesting, You are an excessively professional blogger. I have joined your feed and sit up for looking for extra of your wonderful post. Additionally, I've shared your site in my social networks

September 9, 2012 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Trent

lol ... I can't imagine anyone thinking the casting limitations of "oh, has to look 17 and Nordic but can carry themselves off like an nobleman who has 250 plus year of life experience" is going to find a suitable actor perfect for the role.

May 8, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lyn

I have the PERFECT LESTAT for all of you debating about RDJ- I agree, to old at 50 to play Lestat, and Cruise is too, these days. Google MARTIN ROLINSKI. Used to be the lead singer in Nordic band BWO. (Bodies Without Organs) Prettier than a picture, better than Skarsgard, by miles. He is hot, cute and doesn't have that annoying Twilight Robert Pattinson look!!

January 2, 2012 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. LDL

Umm, no, sorry Robert – YOU'RE TOO OLD! You're almost 50 – Lestat was only 21 when he was made immortal – Lestat looks EXACTLY like this; http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f250/Archangel_Lestat/a3.jpg?t=1301907250

April 4, 2011 at 5:11 am | Report abuse |
  5. hillbilleter

It's about time we got some good, old-fashioned, traditional vampire movies again. I like the TrueBlood series, which explains that vampires are only passing for human and are really the ultimate predators. Anne Rice's books are not about wimpy, sad, pretty young things who happen to have allergies to sunlight, garlic and religion, and who have special dietary needs. They're about exploring creatures who are at the top of the food chain, with humans as prey or pets. Kinda like a story about humans' relationships with potbellied pigs.

December 27, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • hillbilleter

Correction: for "wimpy" read "athletic." In the lore, they do move very fast and are quite strong.

December 27, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. hillbilleter

I agree with those who have read the books – Lestat was barely an adult when he became a vampire, and would not have aged a day since. I'm in my 50s and would love to see more of Downey in movies, but not in such an age-miscast role. It would be wonderful if they could cast a young outstanding actor who could blow the audience away with the possibilities inherent this character. We need a new generation of professional, hardworking leading men, and this is a great opportunity to showcase such a talent. Bring on the new Brando!

December 27, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jessica

Jamie Campbell Bowers physically resembles Lestat and after seeing him in Sweeney Todd, he definitely looks good in that era.

December 27, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jessica

If I remember correctly Lestat was made when he was around 20. I can't see how someone who is 45 (and looks 45) can convincingly portray an immortal 20 year old.

December 27, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Aimee

I don't want to see Iron man as Lastat. Might as well make Justin Beiber as Louie.

December 26, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. sabretooth

Its a wonder the Twi-hards haven't been calling for Justin Beiber as LeStat.
    Ye gods I just puked a little.

December 24, 2010 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |
  11. Alex

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO. I love RDJ but please please he is in no way a Lestat, just as much as he was not a Sherlock! In all honesty, Sherlock Holmes and Lestat are two of my all time favorite characters, I do not want nor need Robert Downey jr. traipsing all over them. I really believe in 'pretty' Lestat- there is no pretty in RDJs face. Maybe Tom Cruise isn't either but at least you can kind of squint and pretend. And as crappy as a lot of people thought IwtV was- let's face it, Anne Rice is totally insane and her writing in sometimes incomprehensible; I really don't think they're going to improve on it at this point, at least movie-wise. Let's just leave it alone.

December 23, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sven

Dear Anne Rice,

If you are considering Matt Bomer to play Louis, please consider Jared Leto as well? Jared's looks are really more suited to lock in the melancholy summary of Louis' life in ways that Matt's are not.

Sven

December 22, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Stew

My hope beyond hope is that the make Memnoch the Devil into a movie. It was easily my favorate story.

December 18, 2010 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  14. incandescent

At this point alot of the actors mentioned will have aged too much. I love JRM- but he is in his 30's now- RDJ much too aged- as is TC- though ick. I think Cruise was a poor choice as well- but at the time a lot of things were going down. There was talk about River Phoenix playing Lestat before his untimely passing, though something must have gone down that he stepped aside to take the Interviewer role, and then he had to be replaced by Slater. I wonder how that would have been (RP as LeStat) I wonder what happened in reality- was the original thought for RP to be Lestat and TC to be the interviewer or Luis and then the producers decided Cruise was more bankable? At the time Heath was also young- perhaps he could have played Louis or Armand? oh what could have been. But I agree about not remaking – and maybe looking at the possibilities of Mayfair.... It is not often that Hollywood comes close to properly re-imagining a book. In fact almost never. and I agree with some people here who said casting unknowns or lesser knowns (would love to see Bomer on the big screen in something meaty:-) in this situation may be a good idea. less pressure- I have seen that a few times....can work better. I don't know if it was a book first- but the Movie Elizabeth- they cast some Aussie actress that people were not very familiar with- and I think it was the best choice ever. CAte Blanchett was riveting as Elizabeth- and they were helluva smart to give that amazing role to Geoffrey Rush. Good Actors are so refreshing. Notice how Blanchett and Rush can become almost different people in each role- in looks and personality? red hair blond hair- blue eyes green eyes- male/female (Blanchett as Dylan and she rocked it) all while it looking real? I love it when I see an actor on screen and do not recognize them for a minute. I was deeply surprised in the Hours- had no idea Kidman was in it and could not believe it was her afterwords- I still am not sure I do:-) I am not sure I have seen that caliber of artistry with her since then or before then..... maybe it was just luck of the role fitting well- maybe it was the prosthetic that allowed her to actually really feel like someone else? maybe it came at an emotional time for her- whatev- point is that there are a lot of talented actors out there who are not Hollywood heavies- and there are some who, despite being successful in their career make an effort to keep focus on their work – like Christian Bale- I wonder at the time in '94 where he was- he is a phenom. I am looking forward to seeing The Fighter- boy does he ever get into character- its almost frightening. He is very good at what he does. SO in conclusion- perhaps any film version of Rice's books should reflect the artistry in which they were written- look for talent first. Unlike Meyer's books, which seem meant for escapist fluff- and therefore the films casting is not as important- but I applaud any of the Actor's who actually made something of the roles- far more than was required (I have not seen the films- I flipped through one book once and laughed- not into cheesy romance drivel, but to each their own, I am sure there are those that are not into literary books that delve deeper and may have a dark undercurrent- some people prefer to read fluff as a stress relief- some people like getting pulled into a deeper world- whatev:-)

December 15, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Terrence Kelly

Vampires exist as narcissistic personalities. They do not grow emotionally. They have been bitten and so do not develope or mature past the age of two.

December 14, 2010 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  16. AinPa

How about Tilda Swinton as Pandora and Joaquin Phoenix as Quinn Blackwood?

December 13, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  17. ponytimeyo

Robert Downey, Jr. as ANYTHING = HAWT!

December 13, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  18. no

20 years too old

December 8, 2010 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Nelliebellttt

The Vampire Chronicles are something unto themselves, the foundation for all of the bubblegum that is out there now. I read them 20 years ago and found the casting of Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt to be the most horrid casting choice I had ever witnessed...I could never grasp an actor who could embody Lestat, and I would have never thought of Robert Downey Jr. Wow....now that I envision it, he might just be the perfect embodiment!!!! Please, just make the movie the right way this time!!! Also, to Michael – Near Dark is an absolute classic, "finger licking good!"!!!!

December 6, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Nolalily

Three words for Lestat...

Jonathan Rhys Meyers

December 6, 2010 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  21. CruzMalibu

The timing of all this talk is either uncanny or perfect Hollywood spin on the next chapter of the Vampire Chronicles on film. "As of Dec. 5, reps for Warner Bros. and Tom Cruise's production company are in Budapest, scouting locations for a movie based on an Anne Rice novel." Hmmm....what does that sound like? A one sentence press release? I think Ms Rice is having a great deal of fun and loving every controversial comment being made about the fate of her next Vampire Chronicle movie adaptation. She knows exactly what is to come. And I think we can figure out what that press release means. Vampire stories are still incredibly hot right now, so why wouldn't she jump at the chance to cash in on a genre she helped launch many years ago. I expect Ms. Rice to play with us for a little while longer and giddily announce what is really happening. No doubt it will be a huge announcement. Ms. Rice you are "incorrigible and delightfully scurrilous and we love you for it!

December 5, 2010 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
  22. Bj

Good GOD no! He's twice the age of the character (Lestat was 20). Do try to find an unknown who needs this kind of break. I certainly hope RDJ has the good sense (or at least his agent does) to tell Ms. Rice 'thanks but no.'

December 4, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  23. ROXY

Sorry guys....
    But Anne said in the past that Tom Cruise played a perfect Lestat.
    And i agree.
    I don;t say that RDJ is a bad actor or something else, but i think that Tom cruise was better.
    It's just my opinion.
    Search on you tube what Rice said about Tom cruise' s role as lestat.

December 3, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  24. DJ

Ok... I'm a bit afraid to say this but I love Ann Rice and....... Twilight. Two totally different styles. I admit, I read Anne Rice more readily then Twilight. Vampires being more dark and tormented, I wasn't sure about Twilight. But they both were great in very different way's. When Tom Cruise did Lestat I though No!! He is the too goody goody, but he did excellent. And so did Brad Pitt as Louie. I think Robert Downey Jr. would be great doing Lestat.

December 3, 2010 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  25. Amanda

Ill be straightfoward.... I practically worship Anne as a writer, no joke. She is a beautiful person and a lovely soul. To her, Lestat is Stan Rice (her late husband of 40 years-i believe). She knows Lestat better than anyone, even if u read all of the novels 20x over! If she sees Downey as Lestat, then i am beyond excited to see what her vision is! Personally, I am over the top excited to see Nicholas and Gabriel! If you know these books then you know what i mean!

FTR...... she never had any choice on casting for interview or (ugh hate this movie!!!!) Queen. She actually made a fuss about cruise as Lestat before seeing it and later changed her mind. She also wrote the script for Interview. And to point out, claudias age and it being (whiney!! Never liked the character at all!) Louis' wife dying instead of his brother and a whole host of other things because it was too lengthy for a film. Oh and imagine the censors fuss if a 5 year old really did play claudia!?!? She was an evil, terrible little vampire (in a good way...lol). Oh and also because in order to portray claudia the correct way was to have a fine, trained actress, a 5 year just doesnt fit the bill!

They did such a horrible job on Queen because the studio was losing rights soon so they rushed it on purpose to soak up any penny they could get. She even OFFERED to write the screenplay for it and they refused.

December 3, 2010 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  26. charley

I believe that this movie should not be redone. I enjoyed the movie myself. But I feel that it should never be remade. It doesn't matter who plays who. This movie should stay were it is.

December 2, 2010 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  27. CruzMalibu

Newsflash!...Tom Cruise wants to play Lestat again. If you remember "Interview With The Vampire" in 1994, Tom got praise from Anne Rice, the producers and director, and many of the critics. Why? Because he nailed the part of Lestat perfectly! If you read the book, you knew Lestat's quirks and sarcastic personality, and Mr. Cruise thoroughly researched and delivered it the way it was intended. It would be easy to pick up right where "Interview" left off and seamlessly go into 'The Vampire Lestat." All the components are ready to be picked up again. And remember how much money "Interview" made? Neil Jordan, Elliot Goldenthal, David Geffen, Cruise, Pitt and Ms. Rice should show all these teen vampire kids how the big boys do it....What are you waiting for?

December 2, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Michelle

It would only work if it was true to the book, forget these known actors, get someone that is actually fit for the part/book.
    By the way anyone see Lestat the Musical on Broadway? I did.

December 2, 2010 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  29. ghinzdra

way too old for the part .... the guy is what ? 45 years old ? and he definetely looks that age .
    until iron man he was more known for his drug addiction than his box office achievements .True , he dropped that bad habit but you just can't write it off . It stresses the body to the expense of your health and ultimately to your looks . You can slow down ageing you can't make up the damages. Kate moss is just starting to become aware of that .
    Not to mention he's still a heavy smoker .

I say either stick to cruise or go for a really young actor that can pull off the part of someone with a lot experience under his belt

December 2, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Asdrtg5777

Better than that midget, tom cruze

December 2, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  31. truthinrock

Vampires are so 2009...

December 2, 2010 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  32. sleeestax

Akasha – i saw this woman on The Event (the traitor) she was also the iran president's wife in 24 last year.... she would be perfect

RDJ has the depth and skills to play lestat, but blonde? i dunno

December 2, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Edward Nashville, TN

I think Ann Rice is talented. I'm not crazy with the movie versions of her books. I like RDJ, but I don't think he would be right for the role.

December 2, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Jaxson

The Twilight series was written by a bored housewife, with content on the level of a fourth grader. Ann Rice's series was visceral, chilling, and sensual. Quite honestly, I was disappointed in the choice of Cruise in the original film (although he demonstrated a great performance) and would love to see Downey in the role. I agree.. no blond necessary

December 2, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Barkingkitty

I agree with RDJ as Lestat – he absolutely could pull it off. My choice would be Rodrigo Santoro as Louis. Young, beautiful, talented.

December 2, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Bob

Why is no one walking about how awesome Queen of the Damned was!!!!!

....oh right.

December 2, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Tamarah

I like Robert Downey Jr., he's a brilliant actor but I wouldnt cast him as Lestat. If anyone has seen "Queen of the Damned" the actor Stuart Townsend played a fantastic Lestat...I say they should cast Stuart Townsend. If you havnt seen "Queen of the Damned" you should go rent it and you'll see what I mean

December 2, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  38. ROB

Maybe 20 years ago. In Queen of the Damned, Lestat was a beloved rockstar. Could you see your kids going to see RDJ instead of Justin Bieber?

December 2, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Jane

Hands down my all time favorite actor–gifted and great! Whatever he wants he will do well in. I sent him a worry stone years ago when less fortunate times were in his life–hope it helped ease all worries. Truly a master at his craft–best always to him and his family.

December 2, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Mark

Robert Downey Jr would be good in the part because he's shown in his career he's not afraid of all things gay and if you've read the book you know the movie was a shadow of what it should have been.

December 2, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Sandra

Oh gods no. Don't get me wrong, Robert Downey Jr is a good actor. But cast as Lestat? No, just does not fit the role.

December 2, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Sandy

Where's the "don't like" option on this page??? What a dreadful choice.. Film casters need to be reassessed because they made a bad decision they casted him in the Sherlock role, and now this!! Desecrating classic material.. ohhhh nooo Get people who actually resemble the literary characters!

December 2, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Jerry

I personally detest Anne Rice's books and the only good thing about either of the movies was Kirsten Dunst in the first. That being said, you can never go wrong casting Downey. He should've won the Oscar for "Chaplin", he probably deserved one for "Less Than Zero", and is probably the best actor of his generation. (Seriously, tell me anything other than "Rain Man" and, MAYBE, "Jerry Maguire" where Cruise actually "acted". As for Brad Twitt, the closest he's come to acting was his over-the-top performance in "12 Monkeys"; "Legends of the Fall" was great IN SPITE OF HIM, not because of him!) Unfortunately, I think Downey's plate is already full with his two current franchise roles, Ironman & Sherlock Holmes.

The audience for these stupid vampire flicks is the 28-and-under crowd, anyway, so expect to see Justin Timberlake and either Zac Efron or one of the Jonas brothers and maybe the annoying little blond girl from "iCarly".........

BTW, if you want to read really GOOD vampire books, look no further than the "Necroscope" books of Brian Lumley. An interesting twist on the genre and simply the best vampire stories since Stoker's "Dracula"!

December 2, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Les

On the basis of you being exactly right Rice Books and Cruise's non-performance, I'm going to try the books you mentioned!

December 7, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Rene

The Vampire Chronicles is NOT TWILIGHT. Twilight is horrible, horrible in every way. The VC is NOT - only Anne Rice who has proven herself in the past years to be haughty, unreliable author who cares nothing for her fans in any way. BOTTOM LINE: DO NOT "REBOOT" THE VC!!! Interview was well done and then Hollywood killed it with Queen of the Damned. Let Louis and Lestat live on as Pitt and Cruise on the silver screen. NO ONE could do better.

December 2, 2010 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Breanna

Anne no, please please no. Especially if the movie is going to be made of Memnoch the Devil. /Please/, no. x___x

December 2, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  46. KC

Chris Pine as Lestat.

December 2, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Les

I've got to admit I loathed Anne Rice's work the only time I tried it but I'd probably cheer to watch RDJ read the phone book out loud, much less play Lestat. The man just drips panache. If it happens I pray he'll never have to utter that moronic line about looking at the world with "vampire eyes." When Cruise said that in the theatre, I saw people spitting out their soda they were laughing so hard.

December 2, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  48. sparky

It's gonna be garbage just like the other 2

December 2, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Lola

Robert Downey, Jr. could play 'any' part. He's that good.

December 2, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  50. observer

"Lame, yes, i agree. what's with all these silly vampire movies? hollywood has completely lost it."

So true! Where are all the werewolf movies? Vampires suck.

December 2, 2010 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Laura

How about Sting as Lestat?
    Leave the sparkly vamps to the Twilight crowd–idiots!
    Anne's books RULE
    True Blood is great, too!

December 2, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kevin

If they wanted to use Sting, they missed the boat back in the mid 80's. (look at him in "Dune" or "The Bride"- just perfect!)
      Too bad he *way* too old now.... (old enough to be Lestat's great-grandfather considering how young they married in those days...)

December 2, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Kevin

RDJ is completely wrong for the part. And I'm sorry, but Anne Rice , while a wonderful author, has never shown great judgement in whom she selects as "ideal" for roles (remember Tom Cruise?- shudder)
    Personally, I always thought they waited too long to make a movie and should have cast a young(er) Sting as Lestat (check him out in "The Bride" in 1985, or in "Dune" in 1984) but alas, he's way to old now.
    Lestat should be in his early to mid 20's. I'm sorry, but RDJ is old enough to be Lestat's father.

My current choices would be Louis Garrel (Bertolucci's "The Dreamers) as Louis – If you recall your history, Louisanna was still French at the time so the accent would be accurate.
    I think Gaspard Ulliel ("Brotherhood of the Wolf", "Hannibal Rising") would make a first rate Armand- very young and angelic looking and yet able to pull of a tragic role
    And as for Lestat, I think that- provided that he can pull off the accent- Jonathan Rhys Meyers ("Vanity Fair" 2004, "Elvis" 2005, "Mission Impossible 3", 2006) would be an excellent choice.

All of these also have the added benefit that while they have big-budget movie experience and plenty of acclaimed movies under their belt, they are not (yet) jaded super-stars who will refuse to sequels unless their unreasonable demands are made (a la Tom Cruise)

December 2, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • incandescent

At this point alot of those actors will have aged too much. I love JRM- but he is in his 30's now- I think Cruise was a poor choice as well- but at the time a lot of things were going down. There was talk about River Phoenix playing Lestat before his untimely passing, though something must have gone down that he stepped aside to take the Interviewer role, and then he had to be replaced by Slater. I wonder how that would have been (RP as LeStat) I wonder what happened in reality- was the original thought for RP to be Lestat and TC to be the interviewer or Luis and then the producers decided Cruise was more bankable? At the time Heath was also young- perhaps he could have played Louis or Armand? oh what could have been. But I agree about not remaking – and maybe looking at the possibilities of Mayfair.... It is not often that Hollywood comes close to properly re-imagining a book. In fact almost never. and I agree with someone here who said casting unknowns or lesser knowns (would love to see Bomer on the big screen in something meaty:-) in this situation may be a good idea. less pressure- I have seen that a few times....can work better. I don't know if it was a book first- but the Movie Elizabeth- they cast some Aussie actress that people were not very familiar with- and I think it was the best choice ever. CAte Blanchett was riveting as Elizabeth- and they were helluva smart to give that amazing role to Geoffrey Rush. Good Actors are so refreshing. Notice how Blanchett and Rush can become almost different people in each role- in looks and personality? red hair blonde hair- blue eyes green eyes- male/female (Blanchett as Dylan and she rocked it) all while it looking real? I love it when I see an actor on screen and do not recognise them for a minute. I was deeply surprised in the Hours- had no idea Kidman was in it and could not believe it was her afterwards- I still am not sure I do:-) I am not sure I have seen that calibur of artistry with her since then or before then..... maybe it was just luck of the role fitting well- maybe it came at an emotional time for her- whatev- point is that there are a lot of talented actors out there who are not Hollywood heavies- and there are some who, despite being successful in their career make an effort to keep focus on their work – like Christian Bale- I wonder at the time in '94 where he was- he is a phenom. I am looking forward to seeing The Fighter- boy does he ever get into character- its almost frightening. He is very good at what he does.

December 15, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Sherry

I don't know about Robert Downey Jr. playing Lestat. I have read every book Anne Rice has ever written. She is an incredible writer, her books are full of passion, deep emotions; complex human relations, nothing as simple like the Twilight series. I think Johnny Depp would be a good Lestat. Why not make Louis this time into a woman. Now that would be interesting!

December 2, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  54. KEVIN

I'M GLAD THEY ARE REOPENING THE VAMPIRE CHRONICLES AGAIN...BY FAR IN MY OPINION THE BEST PORTRAYAL OF VAMPIRE FOLKLORE IN MODERN THEMES. I REALLY WISH THEY WOULD MAKE A LESTAT MOVIE..NOT REBOOT INTERVIEW...MOVIES HAVE BEEN REBOOTED ENOUGH...WE NEED ORIGINAL THOUGHT AND CONCEPT NOT REHEATED LEFTOVERS OF MOVIES-PAST. LESTAT WOULD BE A WONDERFUL MOVIE. I THINK A YOUNGER ACTOR WOULD BE BETTER BECAUSE LESTAT WAS IN HIS LATE TEENS, MAYBE EARLY 20S WHEN HE WAS 'MADE.' JARED LETO WOULD WORK I THINK..MAYBE THE GUY PLAYS DR CHASE ON HOUSE, MD. ANYWAY...I'M GLAD IT'S BEING DISCUSSED, AS LONG AS IT'S NOT RUINED LIKE QUEEN OF THE DAMNED WAS I'LL BUY IT...AND NO MORE GLITTERY VAMPIRE-FAERIES...THANKS.

December 2, 2010 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Michael

WOW! This made my day. Now lets see where they pick up. I hope it is with the Vampire Lestat and just redo the entire thing, and forget that Queen of the Damn was even made. It will be interesting to watch how this develops. This one is for Adults, let the tweens stand in line for Twilight.

December 2, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  56. JT

well...that's your first mistake you PAID to see a Twilight movie! lol

Twilight shouldn't kill the genre...Anne Rice has yet to be truley done justice by a movie and I would like to see others take a shot at it...

December 2, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Larry

He does not fit the part. Nothing against him, but he does not fit period.

December 2, 2010 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Jeff

Interview, etc. were aimed at a young audience also. I would say the 15 to 23 year old crowd so in that it is similar to Twilight. All of the main vampires are young so that they will appeal to a young audience, just as in Twilight. I did read Interview but not the other books. Vampires is just not my thing but my girlfriend at the time just loved the books. Claudia was the best character in the book but could not truly be adapted to to a movie–even though Kirsten Dunst wasn't bad but still too old for the role. Claudia was only around five years old in the book. Robert Downey Jr. is a very good actor but I think he is smart enough to turn down the role is offered.

December 2, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • svscnn

You should really read The Vampire Lestat. Certainly the best in the series and arguably the best of Rice. If you even remotely liked Interview, you will no be disappointed.

December 2, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Robert Downing, Jr. is as fine as wine no matter what he does, he's just gorgeous.

December 2, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Amanda Archer

NONONONONO! Tom Cruise as Lestat.....Brad Pitt and Louis......Antonio Banderas as Armand.....PLEASE!!!!! Stuart Townshend can eeeta peeeta! he sucked as Lestat!!!!

December 2, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Larry

Excellent selection. I can't stand Tom Cruise but he would fit the part.

December 2, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  61. mejazzbo

I can't imagine paying to see another freakin' vampire movie even if it stars RDJ. Isn't there something in the works too for Johnny Depp to star in a Dark Shadows. These 2 actors are great to watch but this genre has been done to death in recent years. Great idea but very poor timing at best.

December 2, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  62. JT

I don't see how it would be a re-boot...Interview and Queen of the Damned are stand alone movies and are not sequels...Vamp Chronicles has never been a series...I hope they don't try to make a new Interview...just do The Vampire Lestat...GREAT book...best out of the series...as for RDJ...I don't know...better than Cruise...but I think I would prefer an unknown actor to take on Lestat...

December 2, 2010 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

James Caviezel!!! Christ, Lestat, Count of Monte Cristo, he can do it all!

December 2, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Sosa

I love Robert Downey Jr. but I would much rather see Stuart Townsend play Lestat again. Even though Queen of the Damned was not great, I still think he did a heck of a job as Lestat. He was pretty convincing and handsome (as Lestat is supposed to be).

December 2, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  64. dave

Justin Bieber!

December 2, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  65. upe otaru

Interview with a vampire again? I thought that was the only time Louis was mentioned! Please don't do a remake! Focus on the other books.
    .... I HAVE ALL FAITH in Mr Downey Jr. He will do an excellent job! However, he needn't get carried away by the xter. Lestat is a VERY deep xter....

December 2, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Erica

Nooooooo!!!! He's way to old to play this part. Age is such an important part of the characters, and I think it would be terrible to cast someone in his mid 40's to play a teenager! Alexander Skarsgard from True Blood would be a perfect LeStat and he could pass off for an 18 year old much more than Rober Downey Jr. Plus he's an awesome actor. Matt Bomer would be a good Louis, though, or that young, English actor who starred in "The Picture of Dorian Gray" would be good too.

December 2, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yestosequal

Bomer would be perfect for Louie because the character is gay or bi. Robert for Lestatt–he's brilliant and gorgeous, but too old I think.

December 2, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • ROXY

I agree that he;s not good for that role, but Lestat isn't a teenager for god's sake! read the books. He's around 200 years old, and of course not an old man, he's adult !

December 3, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  67. NoDoubt

I think its a wonderful idea. He would be awesome as Lestat.

December 2, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  68. cloudnine

Times like this is when i miss Heath Ledger. He would have been the best choice of all. He would have MADE this movie. :(

December 2, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Al

I agree. I thought Cruise was miscast in the original. Plus, if she was planning to make a sequel "The Vampire Lestat", etc. there was no way they could afford Cruise, Pitt and Banderas for all the movies. "Queen of the Damned" was equally disappointing because they consolidated the rest of the series, excluding Memnoch, into that film. However as badly written/edited as it was, I think Townsend played Lestat better than Cruise.

Heath Ledger would be good, however if Rice wants to reboot the franchise, she needs to secure a cast for all of the books. Not sure if Hollywood wants another vampire series at this time.

December 2, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Coko Moroccan

Heath Ledger would have been great for so many roles.

A loss of incredible potential.

December 2, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • svscnn

Wow, you're right cloudnine. Heath would have fit the bill – both physically and talent-wise.

Bummer. Huge loss for movie lovers everywhere.

December 2, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • DarkRose

Heath was my choice for Lestat whenever other Rice fans and I would fantasy cast the roles, up until the time he died. I think he would have made a magnificent Brat Prince, and I weep for the fact that we'll never get to see what he could have done with a script that was true to the books.

December 2, 2010 at 7:33 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Amy

I don't want to see Interview with a Vampire remade but if they want to make another Anne Rice novel into a movie or maybe a TV miniseries, they need to make The Witching Hour. By far my favorite Anne Rice novel.

December 2, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Michael

The Vampire Chronicles are the definitive vampire novels. The first movie happens to be my favorite movie of all time. Twilight, Vampire Diaries, True Blood, etc. are all an extension of The Vampire Chronicles.

December 2, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  71. lgonzo

Lestat was only 21 when he was turned! I adore Robert Downey, but there's no way he could play 21. A really good movie based on Anne Rice's novels should have mostly unknowns (great actors that directors search long and hard for) playing the main roles.

December 2, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  72. shirley

They all suck i would not wast my eye ball watching them.

December 2, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  73. M52799

Anne Rice's books were, and always will be, the best! I'd love more movies as long as they follow the books. When they stray from the books, they mess it up. Not sure about Downey as Lestat. He would probably be good at it but he just doesn't look like I would imagine Lestat to look.

December 2, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Giselle

I love Robert Downey Jr. (one of my favorite actors), but not for the Role of Lestat. Anyone who has read Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles knows that Lestat was barely 20 when he was turned.......I even thought Tom Cruise was too old and not right for the part when he took on the role. I will say that although the Queen of the Damned was an abomination, the actor who played Lestat in that movie was better cast for the role.

December 2, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Kasey

Sorry, Mei. So what if vampires aren't real? Nothing in movies are real, including robots, fairies, flying cars and aliens. Get over yourself. It's called escapism, and it's what movies were originally intended for.

As for RDJ as Lestat, I'm going to veer from the population and say NOOOOOOO!!! He's too old for the part, if you read the books. Lestat is supposed to be a pretty boy, blond, beautiful and young. Not a 45 year old dark haired, darked eyed and dark skinned actor. He's a great actor, no doubt, but he's no Lestat. Neither was Tom Cruise.

December 2, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Joe

Cruise was a perfect Lestat. You people don't know what you're talking about– just jealous of his success.

December 2, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  77. James

Like other, I have grown weary of the constant attempts by Hollywood to rake in millions on paultry remakes or "reimaginings" of prior films. For example, the original True Grit was exceptional. However, and some may disagree, but in my opinion Robert Downey Jr. is perfect for the role of Lestat. In fact, it is hard to imagine any actor better capable of playing this role, athough Johnny Depp does come to mind. Furthermore, and as an ardent fan of Ann Rice's literature, I hope Downey can help us forget the previous miscasting of Tom Cruise.

December 2, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Sickened

Really? Anne can write a fabulous book, but to be honest, I don't think much of her casting choices. We have what, two of her books made into movies – Tom Cruise was the mis-cast of the century, and I thought Queen of the Damned crashed and burned. I LOVE RD Jr, but I think he'd be just as much as mistake as Tom Cruise. And I hope we're not talking about redoing what's already been done. She has so many books out there – maybe the idea is to do another book that Lestat is in. The problem is finding a youthful actor who fits the visual bill, but also has the maturity of thousands of years of life experience (or at least the ability to ACT like he has the maturity). :-) Personally, I'd like to see the Mayfair Witches on the big screen!

December 2, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • svscnn

I know what you mean about Anne Rice's judgment on actors. She always said she envisioned a young Rutger Hauer as Lestat. Another terrible match.

December 2, 2010 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • vampire princess

Sickened - Judging by your comments, I'm sure you aren't aware of this. But when Tom Cruise was cast as Lestat, Anne Rice took out a full-page ad in LA's daily Variety railing AGAINST the casting of him. I can't remember the words she used, but NONE were complimentary. After she saw the movie, she took back everything she said and said Cruise was a wonderful choice for Lestat.

Personally, I never liked Tom Cruise. But I thought he was a great Lestat. He had the ego down that tormented Louis so much. I also agree with the previous poster who said that Interview was told through Louis's POV and Cruise was perfect for how Louis viewed Lestat. Having said that, I'm not sure he could pull off the rest of Lestat's story. I don't see him burying himself in the desert sands and trying to bake himself to death.

December 21, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  79. Coko Moroccan

Re: opinions on Cruise's Lestat:

a) Good or bad portrayal?
    b) Did you read the book before seeing the movie?

December 2, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • svscnn

Thought Cruise was a horrible fit. Portrayal felt wooden – no sense of motivation (as per my post above.)

Oh, and yes, I've read the majority of the Rice Vamp series when it was originally released (through "Pandora" or "Body Thief" – whichever was later). Great stuff.

December 2, 2010 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

I've read all her books. I like RDJ but not for this role. I was truly disappointed by Cruise. I think he should be slight of build, blonde and a little older. Sting perhaps?

December 2, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

Tim, Sting is a big fan of Anne, and perhaps when he was younger. I know Anne's books inspired "Moon Over Bourbon St.".

December 2, 2010 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • svscnn

Yeah, a younger Sting could have carried off the physical aspect, but (despite being a wickedly awesome musician) he's not actually a very talented actor.

Ever see Dune?

December 2, 2010 at 6:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • msrose

When reading the books in order Interview is told from Louis's point of view, and I believe that Tom Cruise pulled off Louis's view of him perfectly. Having said that, once you read The Vampire Lestat, you realize that he is a much more complex character and that Louis knew virtually nothing about him. Tom Cruise could never pull of that Lestat.

December 2, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Bex

What about going the Lasher/Taltos/Mayfair Witches route instead?? I can see Robert Downey Jr. as Lasher. Also – the do eventually converge w/VC (Lestat & Rowan anyone?) Tom Cruise was awful. Jonathan Rhys Meyers would be a brilliant Lestat, he looks great and knows how to throw a fit – lol! And Mona is probably one of my favorite Anne Rice characters – lots of fun in that story line!

December 2, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • svscnn

I've always wondered why that series was never adapted to the screen myself. And, you're right – RDJ WOULD be a better fit for Lasher than Lestat.

December 2, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • DarkRosed

RDJ is still too old to play Lasher, IMO. Maybe as Michael, but not Lasher. Lasher needs to be younger, taller and lankier. There was a rumor eons ago that a Mayfair movie was in the works, but nothing ever came of it.

December 2, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • svscnn

I dunno. I thought RDJ looked appropriately lanky in Sherlock Holmes. But yeah, there's still the "apparent age" thing.

December 2, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • DarkRose

Maybe I'm thinking too much and too literally of Lasher-as-Taltos in my "lean and lanky" thought, since they are exceedingly both. And thinking too of "newborn" Lasher, flailing around the pool area after Rowan gave birth to him.

December 2, 2010 at 7:28 pm | Report abuse |
  81. cloudnine

YES! bring the movie back but don't replace Tom Cruise :( He is the true Lestat. Robert Downey Jr would be a great add on to the movie.
    A please don't anyone compare this to Twilight.
    it's like comparing a piece of German Chocolate Cake to a piece of turd. Twilight being the piece of turd.

December 2, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  82. svscnn

Love Robert Downey Jr., but not for Lestat. And Tom Cruise didn't pull it off either.

Lestat is an EXTREMELY complex character. The actor that portrays him faithfully must carry off...

1. A sense of aristocracy on the fall – poor and ashamed, outwardly proud, but inwardly aware of his lack of place in the changing world (during his "life").
    2. The bi-s e xual nature that define his relationships – and chosen "children"
    3. The oedipal complex that drove him to turn his own mother.
    4. The sense of isolation that ALL of his relationships (both living and post) left him with.
    5. The spirit of truly reckless rebellion that drives nearly ALL of his decisions.
    6. The sense that this rebellion is the result of a deeper yearning for acceptance and relationship that he has NEVER been able to achieved.
    7. A deep desire to be "good" in spite of himself.

In short – Lestat must be the embodiment of "angst" and its resultant defense mechanisms.

December 2, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • nancy

Excellent analysis of Lestat's issues. If they do this movie, it's a tall order for any accomplished actor. I hope they do it right.

December 2, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Joey

Just creepy enough for the likes of Johnny Depp in my opinion.

December 2, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  84. publius enigma

I dont think Interview should be redone, if thats what they are talking.

December 2, 2010 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Paul Davis

I think Robert Downey Jr. would be a perfect fit for the role. He's a versatile actor and I too think he could bring the gravitas swagger necessary for the role of Lestat. Big thumbs up from me!

December 2, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  86. CiCi

I really hope if this goes ahead Anne gets to have Matt Bomer as Louis. She's mentioned him a number of times on Twitter and Facebook, and obviously has her heart somewhat set on him for the role. Not only is he incredibly beautiful, he's also a very talented actor, and he deserves a high profile film role where his talent and charisma can get the exposure he deserves.

December 2, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Seriously?? The original film is only 16 yrs old. Why remake something that was good. (And I'm a HUGE Anne Rice fan) If they want to make some films on her novels they should think about the Mayfair Trilogy. Also, I'm hoping she finishes her Christ The Lord novels also. Her best work IMHO & I'm gay.

December 4, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  87. jamesnyc

Read my lips no more narcissistic, childish, deathphobic vampire movies.

December 2, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Aisha

Just tell me when and I will see the movie. Love the choices.

December 2, 2010 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  89. ibumpsetspike

I'm an avid reader of just about anything vampire...or werewolves too, for that matter. Anne Rice is the best, I concure. However, Laurell K Hamilton is a wonderful writer too (Anita Blake series). I love True Blood as well, I think Alex would make a great Lestat.

December 2, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  90. HEidi

WOW, My favorite author and my favorite actor. I am ready to get in line now, just tell me where!!!!

December 2, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  91. KimN

Bring Tom Cruise back. I don't like when they switch around people that were good fits. It loses something. Plus I'm so tired of RD Jr.

December 2, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  92. canda143

I think they should definitely make The Vampire Lestat... Interview with the Vampire was already done, and in my opinion done decently, no need for a remake. I really loved the Queen of the Damned book, the movie was extremely disappointing! If they were to make The Vampire Lestat I think it should be made with a much darker tone than Interview was made. Also, it's a long book with lots of details, I'm not sure 1 movie could cover everything (at least not well) Maybe splitting the book up into 2 movies... Also, I don't think RDJ would make a good Lestat; he's too old and just not suave enough.

December 2, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • msrose

The problem with making a movie Based on The Vampire Lestat is that the book is written almost like an autobiography. If you watch QotD, (which was awful btw) you realize that the movie is a combination of both TVL and QothD. Queen (the book) actually starts with her kidnapping Lestat after the concert. Everything before that is from TVL. I personally would love to see Memnoch made into a movie, but trying to find someone who can pull of all the emotions Lestat goes through in that book would be highly difficult and would probably ruin the whole thing.

December 2, 2010 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  93. lor

one word – depp

December 2, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

Not a bad idea at all.

December 2, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mabus

That was my first thought when I saw the article. Although, I could see RDJR doing a decent job

December 2, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wyngs

Depp was supposed to be in the original interview with the vampire... sadly he turned down the role of Lestat and Cruise got it. What could have been...

December 2, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  94. gordon

I honestly don´t think vampire chronicles needs a reboot, interview with a vampire is a classic and love watching it, it seems to me that Anne Rice is low on cash and wants the reboot done to get money.....lame really

December 2, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Erin

I wasn't really a fan of Anne Rice's books (to each their own, I guess), but I'd watch for the eye candy, if RDJ and Matt Bomer were in the cast. Not gonna lie...

December 2, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  96. jaz

Tom Cruise was a horrid Lestat... I say bring Stewart Townsend back.. he was pretty hot. The chemistry between him and Jesse was pretty intense. :o)

December 2, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • DarkRose

Have you ever READ the Vampire Chronicles? QotD Movie was a travesty, top to bottom. It had NOTHING to do with the book, aside from character names. The whole "romance" between Lestat and Jesse was complete and utter BS and NEVER HAPPENED IN THE BOOK. And Jesse certainly wasn't a 20-something clueless twit the way she was in the movie, nor was she a novice investigator. She was 35 and already well seasoned, and was made by Maharet, not Lestat.

December 2, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Kimi

They are NOT rip offs, they are different views of the vampire genre, Ann Rice is wonderful and, I believe, is the best author for classical vampire stories, however Charlaine Harris, Stephanie Meyer and Laurell K Hamilton have come up with their own unique takes on vampirism, why does everyone take so much issue with that???

December 2, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jaz

Because they have taken Vampires and reduced them to imbicils... Anne Rice is the Rolls Royce of Vampire Literature and Steph Myers? Well, she's the Daewoo or Pinto if you will... cheap melodrama and no real thought in her writing. It's a wonder why Twilight made a killing...

December 2, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  98. MikeyNYC

I want whatever drug Ms. Rice is taking that would cause her to suggest Robert Downey Jr. for this role. Suggesting Mr. Downey for this role would be as big a mistake as casting Florence Henderson as Claudia. First the monumental miscasting of Tom Cruise, then the entirely idiotic casting of Stuart Townsend – what nightmare will be next? Even worse, however, is doing a remake at all. Is talent so difficult to find today that half of the movies that are made in Hollywood are remakes or "reimaginings" of other films? They don't even wait a few decades to do the remake any longer: cases in point, the Hulk, Fantasitic 4 and Superman franchises. I refuse to be subjected to yet another piece of crap remake of some mediocre film that didn't make money the first time it was released.

December 2, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • JDM

yes, and who would play Claudia? Another teenager trying to play a 6 year old vampire again? Peeved me the first time and will undoubtedly keep me from seeing it again it that make that blunder all over again. While I understand that may be the most difficult role to cast, but it was as bad a choice as casting Tom Cruise. And why even ask to have Brad Pitt back, people? Brad stated openly in interviews he didn't like the character, Louis.

December 2, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Jason

A movie based on the novel The Vampire Lestat would be awesome, as long as Rice had some input into the portrayal of her characters. That was THE best vampire book that Anne Rice wrote. True Blood, Twilight....they are sorry rip-off's of Rice's works.

December 2, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • svscnn

agreed... on all counts.

December 2, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • CA23

I would go further than just saying it's Anne Rice's best work... "The Vampire Lestat" is in my top 2 works of fiction of all time.

December 2, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  100. kathy

Wow, you are PATHETIC, if you dont like the characters or the books then stay from them, there was no reason for that comment.

December 2, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Jay

Why not try and keep the same two actors ? I'm sure you thought about that route, I guess I'm just thinking out loud, but If they would do it I would highly suggest going with Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt.

December 2, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  102. The True Lestat

I think Jessica Simpson should be Lestat in the remake. Let's bring that story up to date and get rid of the stupid h*mo-ism in the books!

December 2, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Ashley

I agree with Anne Rice about Matt Bomer – he would be a fantastic Louis. But I agree with many of the other commenters that RDJ is much too old for the role of Lestat. They messed up really badly with casting (and the butchering of storylines) in the past so if another attempt at a movie is going to be done then it needs to be portrayed correctly.

December 2, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

If Robert's good enough for Anne, then it's fine with me. He IS a really good actor, and is capable of playing well below his actual age. I say give him a chance. All movies are a gamble.

December 2, 2010 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Sara

Why does everyone think that this would be a remake? She has multiple Vamp books to choose from to make a movie that could also stand on their own very well. They are ALL good books but if she is casting Louie as well it will probably be 'The Vampire Least' b/c after that Louis isnt around all that much anymore.

December 2, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  105. suzie

TWILIGHT rocks so forget everybody that says its gay yall r some haters
    TWILIGHT ROCKS thats why its the best movie now BOOM how u like them apples

December 2, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ashley

funny how you say that...according to rottentomatoes.com, each Twilight movie is rotten....meaning complete and utter garbage.

December 2, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • dave

Apples suck. So does Twinklelight, I mean Twilight.
      BOOM!
      Twilight's not even in the same league as any Anne Rice book. You should try it once (reading a book).

December 2, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • What?!?

That was brilliant, a very well expressed thought, Suzie. Does your baby sitter know you are playing with her computer?

December 2, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • happytam

Suzie, it's too bad that there is no age restriction for posting comments. You better get off the internet before your mom catches you. She might ground you from being able to watch Twilight. (Gasp! Oh, the horror!!)

December 2, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Love Lestat

@ Suzie – Oh my god!!! Are you totally retarded? Wait, you must be a teenager. Do you know how stupid you sounded? I'm sorry but this discussion is for grownups who have actually read Anne Rices books. And if you try to speak with a little more dignity you might just actually end up with a job some day that doesn't involve flipping burgers.
      I'm not sure how I feel about Robert Downey Jr. as Lestat. I think he might be too old. Unfortunately there probably aren't any younger actors out there that can play the part.

December 2, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jessica

You're retarded.

December 2, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Shannon

Anne is right. Matt Bomer *IS* extremely beautiful. This is the first I have heard of him. But he is stunning.

December 2, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  107. TwEeK!

The Tom Cruise of today is not the same as when he was in Interview. He did a remarkable job in the role of Lestat. I also do not want to see the movie remade. She has many other books that could do with a movie adaptation.

December 2, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  108. sleeestax

in the books Lestat is a blonde 6' frenchman, w/ blue eyes lol but i think if Downey gets it, they should let him have long dark hair. who cares? it will look better anyway unless you do find a nordic type actor who can pull off the combination of jaded despair and indominable will that is Lestat

December 2, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • DarkRose

"Who cares?" Anyone who actually enjoys the books, maybe? It didn't work with Stuart Townsend and it won't work with any other actor. Anything but a blond, blue-eyed Lestat is going to go against the book and completely throw off the whole thing. Lestat was CHOSEN to be made a vampire BECAUSE of his blond hair and blue eyes, reflecting the sun and blue sky for eternity.

December 2, 2010 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  109. WLM

Ohhh Ling!! What a great choice!!! DEf Alwx Skarsgard from True Blood, he by far is the best choice!! He would be AMAZING!!! and could pass for a 18 year old teenager!!!!

December 2, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Jessica

Isn't Lestat supposed to be immortally frozen at 17 or 18 years of age, and blonde? Sure, I can't think of any actors that would really fit the bill who have the acting chops to pull off the role, but that just means one SHOULDN'T make the movies. Not just throw any actor into the role and call it good. And don't get me wrong, I love RDJR. But he's already Sherlock and Iron Man. Does he really have to be Lestat too?

December 2, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Coko Moroccan

Downey would definitely be a better Lestat than Tom Cruise (as would so many others), but the movie should have been filmed years ago when David Bowie could have played the role.

Downey's characters all seem to have that element of flippancy. Jonathan Rhys Meyers would be a better choice.

December 2, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • bayoujet

awesome call on bowie. The thin white duke as Lestat! Perfect

December 2, 2010 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • DarkRose

Coko, I've said for years that I'd like to see JRM play Armand. He has that sort of wounded look that I see Armand having.

December 2, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Ling

Lestat should most definitely be played by Alex Skarsgard from True Blood. Downey is not a good fit whatsoever.

December 2, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Observer

Can we also get Batty White involved with this project?

December 2, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Peekaboo

Cant be a remake, Anne wouldnt be so stupid, she's got a whole lot of vampire books. A remake would be dumb.

December 2, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flagguy

Yes, she has a lot of VC books, but without the first made true to the book, the rest are just gibberish. Give someone The Vampire Armand and ask them to make any sense of it. Or Body Thief, perhaps Memnoch. Yea, you get my point.

Do Interview right. The small details aren't nearly as important, but keep the characters true to their counterparts in the novels.

December 2, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrNoShot

Please do not reboot...I liked Interview quite a bit....as previously mentioned, I would love to see Memnoch

December 2, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Maggie

@Flagguy: I remember The Vampire Armand. It was the last VC book I read. I was looking forward to finding out more about Armand, but the book should have been called "Anne Rice Went to Venice and Wrote It Off as a Business Expense."

December 2, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • alicatt

Interview was not a bad movie but it was weak and not very close to the book queen of the damned was just plain aweful and didnt even get the simple facts of the book straight (who made Lestat in the book and who made him in the movie?????). It will be great to restart with the first book (interview) with a closer version to the book and continue from there. at least for the true fans......

December 13, 2010 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
  115. WLM

Lestat has nothing to do with Twilight.. Its not even the same author!!! I am neither here nor there with Robert Downey Jr.. I just dont think he is that great of an actor.. I say bring back Tom Cruise.. he was great at playing Lestat, I cant believe you didnt think he was convincing Steve... I thought he was great!!!

December 2, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  116. Linda

Why don't they get Tom Cruise to reprise his role. he did a fantastic job as LeStat. Downey is NOT a good fit for this. he just is not Suave enough. or pretty enough

December 2, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Shelley

Matt Bomer is quite a talented actor and obviously beautiful looking – would be fantastic addition!

December 2, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Callie

Matt Bomer could read a telephone book and I'd be down with that. That being said, he's too good an actor to settle for Louis. That character is the wet blankiest of wet blankets.

December 9, 2010 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |
  118. Ame

The movie "Interview with the Vampire" starring Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise is a great movie and doesn't have to be remade. It's like trying to reinvent the wheel. And Tom did an amazing job portraying Lestat. Any other wouldn't do.

December 2, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bob

Interview With the Vampire was the first in a series of three. Queen of the Damned (the third) was already done (and sucked).

December 2, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • JDM

Bob, I think you forgot a few of the Vampire Chronicles. There were more than 3.

December 2, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Steve

Yesss, they must remake it. I've read all of Anne Rices books and still have a bad taste in my mouth from having to watch Tom Cruise ruin the Lestat role.
    o.k. – maybe not Downey, but please do not use the same casting director as was used in the Tom Cruise version.

December 2, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  120. CA23

Robert Downey jr is a fantastic actor, but he is much older than LeStat. The Antonio Banderas as Armand thing bothered me quite a bit. Armand was supposed to be a 17 year-old redhead.

And to the comments about this being a remake... why would it be a remake? A movie of the book "The Vampire LeStat" was never made. Only "Interview with the Vampire" was. (I don't acknowledge Queen of the Damned... it was dreadful).

December 2, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Steve

Yes! He would have the ideal personality for Lestat and is taller than Tom Cruise! Cruise was the worst cast person for this role ever.

December 2, 2010 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  122. BluGnu

I love the vampire chronicles and I adore Robert Downey Jr. But after seeing the movie "Brotherhood of the Wolf" the blond actor who is the main character would be perfect; he's blond, French and tall, good looking too.

December 2, 2010 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • svscnn

Hmmm. You may have something there BluGnu. It's been years since I saw that flick but I recall liking that actor as well.

That said...

2. The bi-s e xual nature that defines his relationships – and chosen "children"
      3. The oedipal complex that drove him to turn his own mother.
      4. The sense of isolation that ALL of his relationships (both living and undead) left him with.
      6. The sense that this rebellion is the result of a deeper yearning for acceptance and relationship that he has NEVER been able to achieve.
      7. A deep desire to be "good" in spite of himself.

That's a tall order when you try to match it to an actor who meets the physical requirements of the character. Now I have to watch Brotherhood of the Wolf again and pay attention to the lead actor – with Lestat in mind.

December 2, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • svscnn

Although, he too was probably a bit too old for the Lestat role. Lestat was barely into manhood.

December 2, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Trey

He's too old. She may think he's not, but it is a complete departure from the Lestat in her original film.

I could see Downey having done this movie 10-15 years ago, but not today. Doesn't seem like his kind of flick anymore.

December 2, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Janice

NOOO please do not remake it, it left off with Tom driving away with oh crap i cant think of his name and he bit him too,
    even if they dont bring back Brad Pitt's character you have to start a new one with the end of the older one and see what Tom and what;s his name. Dont get me wrong I adore Robert, but dont replace Tom for goodness sakes.

December 2, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • G

I believe it was Christian Slater.

December 2, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Seraphim0

Uhm. Never read thebooks, did you? Lestat never actually puts the fangs to Slater's character. Armand does at a much later date. Regardless... they should do a remark. Interview was pretty good, but could have been much better and closer. Example: in the books, it was not Louis' wife and child that died. He had a very pious brother who... nevermind, anyway, read the books.

December 2, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  125. CanNorth

La Straight to DVD

December 2, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Rob

I love the Anne Rice books, but agree with the other posts that Cruise made a lousy Lestat and the whole movie sucked. Queen of the Damnd was really good. Stay true to the movies. There are plenty of young actors that make more sense than Downey, Cruise, Pitt.

December 2, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • easilo

What planet do you live on? Queen of the Damned was one of the worst movies ever made never mind a good adaptation of the book. Marius as Lestat's maker? NOT A brunette Lestat. Ugh it was just all around terrible.

December 2, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

Rob you are ridiculous. Queen of the Damned was the worse thing ever made. If you liked it there is no way you are a true fan of the books.

December 2, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • BaJezzus

So where do you live Rob so that we can take back the books you obviously haven't read. Oh wait, I pretty much just answered my own question. Thanks for playing, but you're an idiot.

December 2, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Sarah Michele

OMG – my favorite book of all time. Plus LOVE Robert Downey Jr. - that would be heaven to me. When can I buy my ticket? I think it's a perfect match.

December 2, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  128. myvoice

The tall blond that played on True Blood would be perfect. The character in the book is tall and Nordic

December 2, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • seraphim0

Lestat was "tall and nordic?" What book were you reading. Lestat was French... and in his time, men did not grow to be "tall." You're looking more around 5'7-5'10 equating to someone in modern times as 6'1"-6'5"

December 2, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Chris

Rice and prospective filmmakers need to honor the book-something that didn't happen in the first movie made about this character. Anyone reading the series would see that Louis is a brunette and Lestat is NOT. Both characters are younger in appearance. Why not have Mr. Downey portray one of the other characters who were older when they were turned, like Marius for instance? A character where his maturity and appearance would be a better match? In a logical world the original would have had Pitt portraying Lestat and Cruise as Louis, but this is Hollywood we are talking about. It was an awful adaptation, please do a better job of casting the lead actors for this re-make!

December 2, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

Downey would make a great Armand, don't you think??

December 2, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • af

SPOT ON!

December 2, 2010 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • af

SPOT ON (to Chris)

Wasn't Armand only 17 when he was turned?

December 2, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • CalgarySandy

If you stick Downie with a supporting role who gets to be Lestat?

December 2, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flagguy

Downey as Armand? That was a big issue I had with the first movie. Armand was 17ish when he became a vampire. RDJ is obviously not 17ish, nor was Antonio Banderas. I feel the apparent age of the vampires plays a huge role in the books. Their experiences, and the lack thereof, prior to becoming vampires really has an impact on who they are, and why.

Downey's definitely capable of handling the role, but he's not the right person for the part IMO. He's simply too old. There are plenty of talented 20something actors that are capable of doing a great job in these roles. Let Downey be Marius.

December 2, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • DarkRose

Have to agree with Flagguy, RDJ would be a horrifically poor choice for Armand, every bit as much as he'd be wrong for Lestat. Armand is boyish looking, given that he was 17 when he was turned, if memory serves. That was his irony, physically looking so young, being so old and powerful in reality (having been given the Dark Gift by Marius, who was already ancient PLUS having drank from Akasha) and why it was intriguing for him to be made head of the Paris Coven over those who, from outward appearances, were older than he was.

Robert is a fabulous actor, and I'd love to see him in a VC movie, but maybe as Santino, or even David. THAT I could easily see, so much more than Lestat or Armand.

December 2, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jen M

DarkRose, RDJ as Santino is absolutely intriguing. Of course, we'd have to wait for the saga to unfold on the big screen before Santino is introduced, but RDJ would totally be worth the wait.

December 2, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • DarkRose

Jen – True, unfortunately, but I'd love to see him in the role nonetheless. I'd kind of like to see The Vampire Armand, Blood and Gold and Pandora combined into one epic movie – keep it "all in the family", so to speak (and leaving out Sybelle and Benji because could they be any more useless or pointless?). But with only a guest appearance by Lestat in TVA and B&G, I doubt it will ever happen (too much Lestat love for a VC movie to ever be made without him as a central character, more's the pity).

December 2, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  130. Merrick

I think they should bring back Tom Cruise as Lestat.

December 2, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Raevyn

Ew.....no. He was terrible as Lestat.

December 2, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • CalgarySandy

Tom is too creepy in his own right now. He used to have some gravitas before he went nuts on Oprah's sofa. He has been a grinning idiot ever since. He threw away all the respect people had for him while Downie has gained respect for how he has handled his demons.

Downie could bring believable suffering and strength to the role. He is complex as is Lestat.

December 2, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • gia75

Robert is a GREAT actor but Tom Cruise nailed the "brat prince" role.

I totally agree.

December 2, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • hadagutfull

Tom Cruise? I wouldn't walk across the street to watch him (or Angelina Jolie, or Brad Pitt for that matter) What happens in real life does effect how you perceive people on screen, and I have -0- respect for any of the above now.

December 2, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomas in Vancouver

@hadagutfull.....sooooo, rebuilding hundreds of homes in New Orleans for Huricane Katrina victims and being the goodwill ambassador for the UN in an attempt to feed, clothe and educate third world children were the reasons you lost respect for Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie? Are you also starting a hate-blog against that b-tch, Sister Theresa?

December 2, 2010 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom Cruise

I agree.

December 2, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • DeadRed

Yeah Tom Cruise was awesome in that movie. Not sure why the person above is caught up in his personal life enough to have it affect his performances. Don't read the tabloids, mind your own personal affairs, but more importantly, LEAVE TOM ALONE!!!! *sobs uncontrollably*

December 2, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • nick

no, Lestat doesn't have anything evel-robotic about him.

December 2, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Fred L. Fraud

poooooooooooooooo

December 2, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  132. Ray Jackson, MS

Umm no to the whole project. A "reboot" AKA pointless talentless remake is not necessary and none of the other novels in the series were strong enough to carry a movie. Just look at that Queen of the Damned tragedy they made.

December 2, 2010 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Yeah I mean just look at the Batman "reboot", talentless and unnecessary... oh wait, it was phenomenal, nevermind.

December 2, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • CasperQ

Anne Rice had nothing to do with the Queen of the Damned. She was appalled and fought suit to keep the rights to the characters and the name but unfortunately lost due to earlier contracts. The people involved in that movie brought shame to that story line. But, you cannot use it as an example to her books and to the Interview w/ Vampire movie.

December 2, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • BaJezzus

I agree with Casper. QotD was a travesty of a movie. I like Aaliyah and was sad to see her go, but seriously. Case in point numero uno: Lestat had dark hair in that movie. Case in point 2: the movie barely had anything at all to do with the book. It really was a slap in the face to those of us who actually read the series.

December 2, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Renee

I agree w/ you about Queen of the Damned. While it was a good movie, they tried to modernize it and make it to catch new fans attention instead of trying to follow the story line and bring life to the book which in the end ruined it...

December 2, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Uh Oh

No please.... Robert Downey Jr is a GOOD ACTOR... Not a teen looking to get into the biz. Stop it with the lame vampire movies. Twilight sucks, move on

December 2, 2010 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Actually, the Anne Rice books are something else entirely, much darker and truer to the vampires espoused in classic literature (specifically Dracula). Not your teeny-bopper vampire.

December 2, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Susan

Ann Rice is awesome! I love Robert Downey Jr and i think he would make an awesome Lestat.

December 2, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • SoS

You don't read, or leave the house much do you? Anne Rice has nothing to do with the Twilight saga.

December 2, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Uh no

Anne Rice books are not for teens. Lot's of things in it that would probably make your squirm. It's not sappy romance at all. No sparkly vampires. I promise.

December 2, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steve

The new trendy vampire movies have NOTHING on the Anne Rice version and series. This is most definately an adult venue.

December 2, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • evoc

Robert Downey Jr would be genius in the role. He has grown into a versatile actor who has developed humor, and no longer takes himself so seriously on screen. No need to make him blond. His dark hair is part of his power. Prison served him well.

December 2, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mrs Abercrombie

YES YES YES!!! I'd love to see RDJ as Lestat. And others on here are right, Anne Rice's adult, well-written, patently riveting vampire novels and stories are nothing at all like the lame tweenie Twilight crap.

December 2, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • david

I'm sorry but Anne Rice did it best and long, long, long before the ditty bop Twilight garbage. She did it RIGHT. Now if Hollywood would stay true to the books – I'm all for it.

December 2, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • CalgarySandy

You have obviously not read Anne Rice or seen the Tom Cruise film or you would not equate them to the teeny bopper stuff being pumped out as romance today. Unlike you, I have not seen any of them so cannot speak to whether they are bad or not. It is just all the pretty pretty boys and girls in the ads swooning over each other like it was Gone with the Wind with pointy teeth that give away what it is.

Lestat is a monster and a complex adult. The books are not a bunch of kids swarming about with other monsters and falling in love and that lot.

Do some research before you shoot your mouth off. Or are the books too much effort to read?

December 2, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Spendlove

Twilight was and is still pathetic compared to Interview With The Vampire.

December 2, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mei

I agree. Even though the Rice books are not "teen vampires", they still all suck in their overall message. There is no such thing as vampires. Sadly there are people who really need to be reminded of this after all the movies out there.
      And ugh, if it goes to the screen, Robert Downey Jr is a good actor but does not look the part for the Lestat character at all.

December 2, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomas in Vancouver

Unlike the d-bags in Twilight, the vampires in Ann Rice's novels KILL PEOPLE. While LeStat may put on the air of an 18th century aristocrat, he'll tear your throat out and leave you as a pile of dead meat on the floor when he gets a case of the munchies.

December 2, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lame

December 2, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brad

My favorite comment in all of these is when someone wrote "There is no such thing as vampires", therefore Hollywood shouldnt make a movie about them.

Wow...I am not sure there is a Batman either. And come to think of it, Hannibal Lecter wasn't real either. Did Casablanca really happen? Did sam ever play the song? Hell, I am not sure if Rhett really ever did Give A Damn!!

Wonderful comment Mei!!

December 2, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • al

Anybody would be better than Cruise was as Lestat. At least Downey is an actor, not a one note star who gives lip service to being an actor.

December 2, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aisha

I am waiting for the day to see Robert Downey Jr as Lestat. I also agree with Anne Rice's choice for Louis.
      Just tell me when and I will be there.

December 2, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • nate lientz

i think downey would be great, anything to breathe new life into the chronicles,and with the half assed queen of the damned, they need to make up for that. we need some new anne rice on the big screen to blow this twilight fad out of the water

December 2, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Melissa

Anne Rice was NEVER that crappy Twilight crap. You need to read the books.

As for Robert Downey Jr... huh? He's a good actor, but a Lestat? I don't think so. Ville Vallo would make a good Lestat if he had blond hair. Mmmmmm....

December 2, 2010 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tom Cruise

I really really hate when people try to outdo me... I wonder if you idiots will try and make another Mission Impossible series as well? Or what about Risky Business? How are you going to outdo THAT one?

December 2, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michelle

Are you serious? "Interview with a Vampire" has NOTHING to do with "Twilight". Read a book every now and then – it'll save you a world of embarrassment. :)

December 2, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

Rice's vampires are sniveling whiners. If you want to see how a real vampire acts, watch the mover 'Near Dark'.

December 2, 2010 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • mp531

Twilight is a love story with a vampire in it. NOT a true vampire story. Anne Rice wrote vampire stories that sometimes involve love.

December 2, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mama2KOA

I understand your distress, but believe me, it's unfounded. The book The Vampire Lestat is nothing like the angsty teenybopper stuff in Twilight. It has depth and darkness and richness of character. At the end of Interview with a Vampire, you hate Lestat, but after reading Lestat, you truly get the feel for him understanding what makes him tick. You also take on a new aversion to Louis' whining.

December 2, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jen M

Lrn2read. This is ANNE RICE'S Vampire Chronicles. She wrote The Vampire Lestat before you were probably born!

December 2, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Renee

Anne Rice is an amazing author and her series is far from Twlilight and any other vamp series that has been turned into a movie (So if your'e complaining about vampire books/movies, how about you read her series before running your mouths. You may be happily surprised.) I would LOVE to see that series turned into a movie but only if they plan on sticking close to the story line. Yes I realize things have to be cut out bcuz of time but trying to modernize Anne Rice to get younger and newer fans would be a wast of film if you ask me...

December 2, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • SKyle

Is that a speck of broccoli between his fangs in the photo?

December 2, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • TJ

@Uh Oh

Not that everyone hasn't already jumped on you but Interview with the Vampire was published in 1976 (written in '73) and has already been made into a movie once ('94)

In addition, Lestat is supposed to be more worldly and mature than, say, Edward Culllen so yeah, they'd go with someone like Downey but I'm going to guess based on your comment that you don't read much so this would be news to you.

December 2, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • kiki

C'mon who could be better for this role other than Robert Downey Jr! He's amazing!

December 3, 2010 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Faith

Okay, while you have taste enough to not go for Twilight, I seriously doubt your taste or knowledge in literature if you think Anne Rice's books could be in league with the shallow, narrow minded "Twilight" saga.
      Encase you have never been to school or stepped outside the front door, Anne Rice's "The Vampire Chronicles" are classics, in league with Bram Stoker's "Dracula". They will go down in history as classics, and are already considered such. They are complicated and intelligent stories not at all written for the teen audience "Twilight" is. They are dark and sinister, and deal with the morality and mortality of the world.
      I do hope that more movies are made from the series, and her "Lives of the Mayfair witches" series as well. They are all such vibrant and rich books with complicated characters and twisted plots. "Teens looking to get into the biz" such as many of the actors in "Twilight" would not (hopefully) be in a decent movie representation of the books. It would take good and versatile actors to play such complicated characters, so if they were "Teens looking to get into the biz" they would have to be good. I think that many actors would see it as an honor to have Anne Rice want them to play one of her characters. It is a massive compliment.
      I think you need to look the books up at the very least. Reading them all would be better. I cannot believe that anyone would think that of Anne Rice's books if they knew anything about literature. And I'm not actually joking. Anne Rice is one of the greats of literature. She will always be thought of as in league with the greats like "Jane Austin" and "Bram Stoker".
      Please, go get an education. Now.

December 9, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
    • alicatt

Please do not mention Twilight and Anne Rice in the same sentence. When she wrote Interview, Lestat, etc... there was no stupid twilight.

December 13, 2010 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
    • ?

Anne Rice is an amazing writer, not like the twilight crap. I am 13 and I LOVE her books, 1000x better than twilight, their not even related. YES, Robert Downey Jr. for Lestat all the way!!!!!!

December 22, 2010 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |