'Psych' does a damn fine 'Twin Peaks' tribute
December 2nd, 2010

'Psych' does a damn fine 'Twin Peaks' tribute

The TV shows I usually watch are popular programs from years past that are now in reruns (e.g. "Roseanne," "Beverly Hills 90210," "Gilmore Girls"), so I was apprehensive when I was asked to watch and write about last night's episode of "Psych," a show still running on the USA Network.

For those of you who don't follow "Psych," it's a comedy-drama show about a police consultant posing as a psychic starring James Roday and Dule Hill.

During the course of the show's run, the creators have done tributes to the films of John Hughes, Spanish soap operas and Alfred Hitchcock. Last night, they aired an episode in honor of "Twin Peaks," which happens to be celebrating its 20th anniversary this year.

As a huge fan of "Twin Peaks," I was worried. However, my concerns were quickly alleviated, as I not only had fun picking out the "Twin Peaks" references (it was like doing the "What’s Wrong?" on the back of a "Highlights" magazine), but I genuinely enjoyed the "Psych" characters to boot.

In the episode, Shawn (Roday) and Gus (Hill) receive an anonymous e-mail about a cinnamon festival in the tiny northern California town of Dual Spires (First reference! I could have made it a drinking game had I not technically been on the clock). Their shared love of cinnamon lures them into the quirky town that has no Internet or cell phone service. The pair soon find themselves investigating the mysterious death of a local high school girl.

Here are some of the "Twin Peaks" references I was able to spot:

• The victim's name is Paula Merral, an anagram of Laura Palmer.
  • Sheryl Lee played Laura Palmer in "Peaks" and on last night's show portrayed Dr. Donna Gooden, Dual Spires' town physician who specializes in everything (she's also a veterinarian and the medical examiner). Plus, Laura's best friend was named Donna, and Donna's father, Dr. Hayward, was the town doctor and medical examiner.
  • Sherilyn Fenn, who played Audrey Horne in "Peaks," was librarian Maudette Hornsby.
  • Hornsby, while drinking a Cherry Coke, states, "Isn't cherry the best?" The actress famously tied a cherry stem into a knot with her tongue in "Twin Peaks."
  • Ray Wise, who played Laura's dad Leland Palmer in "Peaks," is a recurring actor on "Psych" (he plays their parish priest). On last night's episode his hair suddenly turns white, and Leland's hair turned white overnight in one "Peaks" episode. (Ray Wise also played Noah's dad on the original "Beverly Hills, 90210.")
  • Dual Spires is famous for its cinnamon pie and apple cider, and "Twin Peaks" is famous for cherry pie and "damn fine" coffee.
  • The "Psych" theme song is sung by Julee Cruise (of "Peaks" fame) and is almost a shot-for shot recreation of the "Twin Peaks" theme.
  • The mayor of Dual Spires is named Douglas Fir, and the town of Twin Peaks was filled with Douglas fir trees.
  • The local paper in Dual Spires is "The Great Northern," while "Twin Peaks" had a hotel called The Great Northern.
  • In both shows, there are stacks of donuts at the police station.
  • The Sawmill Diner was operated by Robert ("You can call me Bob") Barker, played by Dana Ashbrook, who portrayed Laura's boyfriend Bobby Briggs in "Twin Peaks." And, the Twin Peaks' sawmill was the source of the town's livelihood and burned down in a case of arson. The character of Bob (not to be confused with Bobby) was a huge part of "Twin Peaks" as well.
  • The Barkers' niece's body is found wrapped in plastic by the lake, and in "Twin Peaks," Laura Palmer's body was found "dead, wrapped in plastic" on a rocky beach.
  • The Barkers have a framed prom photo of their niece wearing a tiara prominently displayed, and  a similar photo of Laura Palmer remains the iconic "Twin Peaks" image.
  • There's a chocolate bunny on Shawn's desk. In "Twin Peaks," there is a famous line spoken by Kyle MacLachlan as Special Agent Dale Cooper: "Diane, I'm holding in my hands a small box of chocolate bunnies."
  • Gus states at the very beginning, "Since when is the sound of opening and closing shades so disruptive that it needs to be alleviated?" The character of Nadine Hurley in "Twin Peaks" attempted to patent her silent drape runner invention.
  • Leo the cinnamon owl was the festival mascot, whereas the character of Leo Johnson was suspected of Laura Palmer's murder in "Twin Peaks." Owls were a major part of "Peaks" as well.
  • The pet bird in Dr. Gooden's waiting room was the same type of bird that bit Laura's shoulder in "Twin Peaks."
  • Cameo appearance by actress Catherine Coulson carrying a log was perfect, since Coulson played the Log Lady in "Twin Peaks."
  • There was similar camera work and sound effect focus on a ceiling fan whipping around at the top of the stairs at Sheriff Jackson's; this happened often in "Twin Peaks." The Sheriff's house also looks a lot like the Palmers' house.
  • Paula secretly dated the sheriff's nephew and shared "secret special lover earrings" with him, and in "Twin Peaks," Laura and the nephew of one of the townsmen each had half of a golden heart necklace.
  • Someone from a website by the name of UnderTheNail.com sent Shawn and Gus an e-mail that said, "Who killed Paula Merrall?" In "Peaks," "Who Killed Laura Palmer?" was the "Who shot J.R.?" of the '90s. The killer also purposely placed clues in his victims' fingernail beds.
  • A local teenage boy wears a jeweled crown and in "Peaks," Audrey Horne's little brother wore a Native American headdress.
  • In both shows, the sheriff's deputy is a Native American who is very in tune with nature.
  • Lenny von Dohlen played Sheriff Andrew Jackson. In "Peaks," von Dohlen played Laura’s agoraphobic, horticulturalist friend Harold Smith. Another thing: The sheriff of Twin Peaks was named Harry Truman.
  • Shawn and Gus find a book written by Earl Wyndam, and in "Peaks," Windom Earle was a psychopathic ex-FBI agent.
  • A man at the Sawmill Diner wears an eye patch and a red suit and dances funny. In a dream sequence in "Peaks," a character known as the Little Man From Another Place wore a similar (but much smaller!) suit and danced in a bizarre fashion. The eye patch is a reference to the aforementioned character of Nadine Hurley.
  • Actress Robin Lively played Michelle Barker, whereas on "Peaks," Lively played Lana, the seductress wife of the elderly Dougie Milford.
  • The end credits are accompanied by soap opera-type music and a shot Paula's prom picture - "Twin Peaks' " credits did the exact same thing with Laura's photo.

Did I miss anything? Let me know if you caught any other references in the comments!

Post by:
Filed under: television

1. A K Hill This

WHERE IS HE.

July 16, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  2. NOT ANYTIME SOON--I WANT TOO SEE THE PENIS...ITS BEEN LONG ENUFF GIVE IT UP...

July 16, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  3. PineappleAngel

Ha! Wow, I'm re-watching this episode now, and there are SO many references! ALSO, I don't really know if this counts, as I am just a fan of Psych, not Twin Peaks...although I might check it out......In the seen where Shawn and Gus first go into the library and talk to the librarian, Gus asks, "Do you mind if we poke around?" and Shawn stops him saying, "PEAK" they both rattle off at each other saying "peak" Several times, before actually going to do so...I don't know...but it kind of struck me as a slight reference....maybe?

July 16, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  4. burberryscarf2012.moonfruit.com

You should learn these words by heart.Don't lose your head.I gave much time to the old car.I didn't mean to offend youNancy will retire next year.I saw him playing football on the playground.I saw him playing football on the playground.What a nice day it is!I was taking care of Sally.I will love you until the seas run dry and the rocks crumble.
    burberryscarf2012.moonfruit.com http://burberryscarf2012.moonfruit.com

October 25, 2012 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
  5. Latest Android Tablet

I do not even know the way I stopped up here, however I assumed this submit was good. I do not understand who you might be however definitely you are going to a famous blogger in case you aren't already. Cheers!

September 15, 2012 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  6. manage anger

Just desire to say your article is as amazing. The clarity on your publish is just nice and that i could assume you are knowledgeable in this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thank you a million and please carry on the rewarding work.

September 14, 2012 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  7. Poetry

Somebody necessarily help to make severely posts I'd state. That is the first time I frequented your website page and so far? I surprised with the analysis you made to create this particular post incredible. Great activity!

August 25, 2012 at 7:27 am | Report abuse |
  8. frog information

Hello there, simply became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it is really informative. I'm gonna watch out for brussels. I'll appreciate should you proceed this in future. Many people will be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

August 16, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Katie

The whole episode was just amazing! From the obvious references to the less obvious (I totally missed the One Eyed Jack reference), it was such a good tribute. I love that they had Sheyrl Lee as the murderer! Such a good twist from the original.

August 13, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. pletchersvw

Extra short blog post will show you all the details linked with replica christian louboutin and also something Replica Christian Louboutin Slingbacksyou want to do right away.

July 5, 2012 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  11. monica

They put "Baby Did a Bad Bad Thing" in the small chase scene. Chris Isaak played Agent Chester Desmond in Fire Walk With Me.

April 27, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. tara parton

I loved Twin Peaks and I love Psych, so I was excited to see this episode, and I loved every part about it, all the obvious and not so obvious refernces. But the only thing that upset me was that my favorite actor was not on this episode, Kyle MacLachlan aka Agent Cooper. I cant believe they didnt get him to guest star on this episode, he made Twin Peaks in my opinion. He was on Desperate Housewives for quite awhile so I dont understand why he would not appear on this episode of Psych, If anyone knows why please let me know.

January 26, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Hulbeje

I thought that this was an amazing episode! It was kind of mentioned, but in the very beginning Shawn was going on about how a woman, assumably Nadine, had succeeded in creating silent drape pulls in the early 90s. Also, near the end, in the diner, there's a song that sounds like James' song playing in the background.

And the cabin where Shawn, Gus, and Leland get cornered looks like the cabin where Laura and Ronette are the night that Laura is killed.

And the different film quality and random shots and strange timing was meant as a nod to Twin Peaks as well. One of my favorite episodes!!!

January 24, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Robin

Several of the characters (seen and mentioned) in this episode are named for baseball players, not just Doc Gooden.

January 7, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Shelia Carter

Did anyone else catch the kid in the last scene with the football helmet on beating his head on the counter like Audrey's brother in TP?? Also, the music in that scene is reminiscent of the music that Audrey plays and dances to in one of the early episodes of TP.

December 26, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Joe

There are some references to the video game Deadly Premonition (a game based on twin peaks) in here as well:

Guy busting in through the door with an axe is similar to the raincoat killer
    Fat guy in the doctor is like Forrest Kaysen, a prominent character in the game

October 10, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  17. George

HowdidyoumisstheepisodeclimaxtakingplaceinaBlackLodge-referencingcabin?Oh,andacoupleofothergoodones:afterLassiterpronouncesthecidertobedamngood,itturnssolid&youseehimtiltingthecupwiththeciderstayinginplace,lathecoffeeintheBlackLodge.Also,thefatpatronwholookslikeToad&thekidinthefootballhelmebanginghisheadonthetablelikeJohnnyHorne(thoughJohnnyworetheheaddress,hedidbanghisheadlikethat)Jack'sbicycle&James'motorcyclewasagoodone,Othersgotthecoconuts&themynahbird,right?AndtheJupiter/Saturnonewasgreattoo.ThiswasafantasticPsychepisode,buttheTPreferenceswereadelightforahugefan.Ifeellikeispotmorereferenceswitheachviewing.

October 10, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Mothman

Psych is a fine show, but I have to disagree and say that this was an absolutely terrible tribute to one of TVs greatest shows. I am a huge Twin Peaks fan, and all they did was take some of the cast members and make plays on words that were similar to TP. Their was nothing like the feel of TP and some of it was just outright wrong, mixed up, and completely misunderstood references to the show. It really made me wonder if they had ever actually watched a full episode of twin peaks, or just based everything on some previews or commercials about the show. How can you do a "Twin Peaks Tribute" and not have one scene of the black lodge? Not only that, the camera work and quality of this episode seemed exceptionally low, like it was shot on low end DV or something. I have been watching the whole series on NF and was on season two of Psych, then skipped ahead because I wanted to see this episode. There was a very noticeable downgrade of quality. Also, where did they get this "no cars" idea and the really low population? There was nothing like this at all in TP and was just completely off base. This episode was a major failure and was probably my least favorite episode of Psych.

October 10, 2011 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  19. jason brees

Psych is a wonderful show. You can watch this full show online through this website.

October 9, 2011 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jill

The theme song in the begining is nearly indenitcal to the song that is sung oin the bar on the night Donna goes with Laura. In the credits the pose of Henry with his hands up is like the one of Bob behinf Laura's bed. The song that plays when Shawn and Guss arive is similar to Agent Coopers, also the song playing when Paual's body is found is close to "Laura's song. There is a women who is first thought to be yelling at a log is close to the log lady in the show. The waitress uniforms are the same ones from Twin Peak inspite of the time difference between the two shows. The fact that Puala's boyfriend was cheating on her is similar to Bobby cheating on Laura. Paula and Laura were the same age when the died. They also had the same personality. The photo of Shawn at the end looks like the long nosed man. The red suit is the one the man from another place wears. A guy dressed like Mike walks across the diner. There's ia girl at the end dancing like the kid from the move. Dancing was what Leland did when he was possed. Paula sees a shrink like Laura did.

September 25, 2011 at 5:43 am | Report abuse |
  21. justin holt

Watch all upcoming episodes and seasons of Psych tv show online by using this source. http://psych.otavo.tv/. Its absolutely brilliant and well written show. Its keeps getting better and better with each season.

August 11, 2011 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  22. ilovespencer

How about the donut reference? Lassie and Juliet at the beginning of the show saying they have never seen anything like it- all those types of donuts lined up at the SBPD- a hilarious callback!

June 28, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  23. E nelson

The last scene at the diner, Michelle Barker (Robin Lively) is dancing the same way Audrey Horne (Sherilyn Fenn)danced in TP.

December 31, 2010 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  24. NoDoubt

I watched this episode and loved it, even though I was never a huge Twin Peaks fan.

December 30, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  25. GC

Another subtle TP reference: There was a character with the last name Frost, which was likely a tribute to TP co-creator Mark Frost.

December 7, 2010 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  26. kristin

thanks for putting all these up lol. i think i was a bit too young to remember twin peaks but i absolutely love psych. this episode is more enjoyable now that i know why everybody was acting the way they were (to match up with tp). but that last scene in the diner is still pretty creepy lol.

December 6, 2010 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Sharona

Also the reference of General Hospital could be for two things.

1. Ian Buchanan was on General Hospital and Twin Peaks.
    2. After Shawn references GH and asks the jock about watching anything he says they all watch Everwood. The faux soap opera was the only thing people seemed to watch on the show.

December 6, 2010 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Sharona

I almost forgot the picture over the fire place was Twin Peaks' Bobby's dad from the show.

December 6, 2010 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
  28. Jendama

Damn fine tribute!

I thought the cabin that they were taken to looked a lot like the one that Leo & Shelly lived in. The riding through town on the bicycle in a heightened emotional state reminded me of when James would ride his motorcycle (all bent up over Laura) in the same manner.

I have never seen Psyched before this. Does James Roday's character always see clues in the manner the screen shots portrayed? If anything, his notice of little things, in the way the camera shot portrayed it, made me think of the show Numb3rs for some reason.

December 5, 2010 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Uly

Yes, he always does. Also, the show is "Psych" not "Psyched". He's tricking you, he's not excited :)

December 7, 2010 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
  29. DEWDROPS!

Correction Lasader said"That was some *damn good* cider" not coffee

December 5, 2010 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sharona

Lassister, also picks up his arm, which Cooper was known to do after his first sip.

December 6, 2010 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  30. PeteR

Oops I just saw that you already had that one. Sorry!

December 5, 2010 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  31. PeteR

The book they picked up at the library was written by Earl Wyndham. In Twin Peaks, The villain playing the deadly chess game (Agent Cooper's old partner) was named Wyndham Earl.

December 5, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  32. Paul b

Could the library be the 'Bookhouse' and tbe Psych boys be the Bookhouse boys?

December 5, 2010 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Heather

I thought of bookhouse as soon as I saw the library, so if it wasn't intentional, than it is eerie.

December 5, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Bob

The school jacket and shirt tied around his waist like Bobby did in TP.
    Bob acted like Leland, crying (like in the picture posted here)
    At the end in the diner, Bob is walking backwards, like they did in the red room in TP.
    Final shot though the door of the diner, Bob is acting like Leland, holding the picture and dancing with it.
    The old guy giving the thumbs up.

December 4, 2010 at 9:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Battleshorts

Yes. The "Old Guy". Who is that Old Guy? .... He acts like the Hotel's room service Old Man in TP. The Thumbs Up the OK sign.
      He looks a lot like Kyle MacLachlan! Look at that scene again - look at the Old Man's eyes... That does look like MacLachlan.

September 6, 2013 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  34. Debbieq

In Psych, they show Sherilyn Fenn's character's shoes and a comment is made about them. In Twin Peaks, her character was shown changing her shoes for a pair of red heels when she got to school.

December 4, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  35. FredJaxon

The way everyone stared at Gus & the little girl asking him if he was Frederick Douglass, because as we all know there were no black people in Twin Peaks!

December 4, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  36. kimota63

Too bad Robert or Michelle didn't offer some "Horne Brothers Ice Cream" to go with their cinnamon pie.

December 4, 2010 at 12:41 am | Report abuse |
  37. Joe

I don't watch Psych, but I watched this episode on Hulu just to catch the references. I can't believe how many there are, and all the guests from Twin Peaks! I noticed a few other references not listed:

1. Dule Hill's character makes a couple remarks about how the townspeople have a lot of secret relationships, an obvious response to Twin Peaks' several hidden relationships.

2. The room they're all in toward the end has a similar overall appearance to the "Red Room" in Twin Peaks. This "red" room is where James Roday's character figures out Paula's murderer, somewhat similar to how Agent Cooper figures out Laura's murderer in the "Red Room."

3. Lenny Von Dohlen (as the sheriff) hanged Sherilyn Fenn's character, in Twin Peaks he hanged himself.

December 4, 2010 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

The sheriff never hung himself dude.

October 10, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • kery

the guy who played the sheriff in psych hanged himself when he was in twin peaks (harold smith). while playing the sheriff in psych he hanged maudette (audrey)

October 24, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Macanguish

No one mentioned Lassiter's impression of Agent Cooper at the end: "That is a *damn fine* cup of coffee!"

December 3, 2010 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Alissa

What about the old man in the diner when the other two Psych agents first walk in? Is he the old man that found Coop at the Great Northern in his room after he was shot?

December 3, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alissa

Correction: he's the guy who was in love with Lana Buddings on Twin Peaks after her first husband died! she tried to bribe him so she would win the Miss Twin Peaks contest, and he wasn't sure about it...

December 3, 2010 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  40. kiki

The theme song was sung by Julee Cruise, who also did the song for Twin Peaks.

December 3, 2010 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Michael

I believe Hornsby was the dept. store Audrey worked at.
    Also, Dr. Dona Gooden had coconuts sitting on a file cabinet. Dr. Jacoby hid Laura's necklace in a coconut.

December 3, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  42. celestion

Ooooooooh and the part with Randy barking at the dog at the end! Though that was definitely a reference to Bobby barking at James through the bars of the cell in jail! Weird part in Twin Peaks=weird part in Psych. Ahaha. LOVED THIS EPISODE! Best tribute ever! I miss that show! <3

December 3, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Celeste

December 3, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  44. celeste

Oooooooooh and the end the part with Randy barking at the dog outside! Thought that was definitely a reference to Bobby barking at James through the bars in jail! Weird part in Twin Peaks, weird part in Psych. Ahaha. LOVED THIS EPISODE! Best tribute ever! Miss that show!

December 3, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  45. beth

also, Lassiter's hair is done like Cooper's

December 3, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Beth Nelson

Another reference: the soundtrack included Chris Isaak.

December 3, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Matt

When the other 2 cops show up, they are dressed like FBI agents and the male cop says something about having to take a dirt road very condescendingly, reminded me of Albert. I was hoping he'd keep going on and on about how bad Dual Spires is.

December 3, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  48. Laura Keefner

The policeman at the end drinks his coffee and then proclaims, Damn fine coffee!!!

December 3, 2010 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  49. sketch12369

I love this show watch it every night. One you missed tho to the under the nail thing is when Shawn was like its under the nail and they give him a weird look

December 3, 2010 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  50. Cooper Nelson

Gus kept crying when he saw the town people crying, and Deputy Andy in Twin Peaks would cry when he saw dead bodies...

December 3, 2010 at 4:11 am | Report abuse |
    • sunny

@Cooper Nelson: Nope, that's just a Psych thing, Gus has always been a sympathetic crier. Sorry ;)

December 3, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jtan

I agree with you Cooper. They say Gus is a sympathetic crier in the spoof but he never cried that that in any other episodes. Good catch

December 3, 2010 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • cdonovan

I had forgotten Deputy Andy ! you're right, great catch

December 4, 2010 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Ash

@Jtan I just want to point out that Gus sympathetically cries in 'A Very Juliet Episode' late last season too. So it could be a reference, but it is most definitely a Psych bit.

December 4, 2010 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Elisa

I'm surprised that no one noted how Bob's crying was a recreation of when Leland Palmer wept over Laura's body wrapped in plastic. It's one of those things that has stuck with me.

Some other ones that stuck out to me:
      * Them describing the new SBPD station manager as "An angel sent from heaven" – I seem to remember Agent Cooper describing Norma that way after he ate some of her pie.
      * When Shawn refers to himself as Shawn Spencer and Juliet as Detective O'Hara – like Cooper did when talking to people.
      * Sherilyn Fenn peeking at them through a crack in the books, like Audrey did with the peephole in her house.
      * And it seemed like Bob Barker's (the dad) hair got more white as the episode progressed – a slick nod to the obvious hair change of Ray Wise.

One of my favorite references was already mentioned – the 'Bobby' character barking menacingly at someone. I was waiting all episode for it.

Was fantastic!!! Just another reason why I love Psych.

January 6, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Tami-lyn

In the library when Gus asks if they can "poke" around, Shawn corrects him and says "Peek" and then Gus says can we "Peek" around.

December 3, 2010 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
  52. TamiM

I always love the Psych tribute shows. Some shows do a tribute by copying a few scenes or making an aside reference, then moving on. Psych's tributes are like the pictures you used to find the the Games magazine made of tiny, real life items arranged to look like other things. Every time you think you have found them all you see a glass in a certain place, or a subtle lighting, Sean hums something, etc. Some nods are obvious, but some they deliberately hide! Fun show, and a great show! Please keep it up :)

December 3, 2010 at 1:32 am | Report abuse |
  53. Tim

Okay, this one is a stretch, but I don't think it's crazy. The pile of sunflower seeds... a reference to Fox Mulder of X-Files... and David Ducovny had a small role in a couple of episodes of Twin Peaks, plus X-Files had a Twin Peaks spoof moment in one episode.

December 3, 2010 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
    • cdonovan

I noticed that & had the same thought. It does seem like a stretch but I wanted to let you know you weren't alone.

December 4, 2010 at 12:50 am | Report abuse |
  54. Mark Hill

Brings back memories, i worked on the show and was one of the few people who knew who the real killer was. It was a fun experience.

December 2, 2010 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Cyril Morong

I thought "Doc" Gooden was funny. The baseball pitcher Dwigth Gooden's nickname was Doc

December 2, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Cyril Morong

Yes, but one you go through the Black Lodge, you make it to the White Lodge. Great job everybody. It has been so long since I even thought about Twin Peaks.

December 2, 2010 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Illiterati

Great episode. Lots of fun.

It should be noted that James Roday, who plays Sean the fake psychic, co-wrote the episode. He's apparently been a long-time Twin Peaks fan.

December 2, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  58. jack999

Oh and how could I forget? One of my favorite references of the night! Gus' nickname: Lodge Blackman. Clearly a reference to the completely unforgettable and forever creepy Black Lodge!

December 2, 2010 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Kate

Sherilyn fenn wore an orchid in her hair. Harold raised them in his greenhouse.

The blind photographer exclaimed he was hit over the head when waiting with Paula. His twin peaks character, dr. Jacoby was also hit when spying on who he thought was Laura.

When the priey saves them, he busts through the door with an ax like when Leo once went after Shelley.

There is a mention of white rocks. Cooper throws white rocks in one of his more bizarre dectective workings.

There is a saw cut like the one in the opening credits. There was also a seagull in the beginning like the little bird in tp.

December 2, 2010 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  60. jack999

You definitely covered most of them. One I noticed was that Michelle's sister was named Lucy. Could be a reference to the Lucy from the original show. And this one's kind of a stretch but......when Randy was playing darts he kept missing until he said "I loved Paula" and then he got a bull's eye. Possible reference to Coop's Tibetan method of throwing rocks at bottles? Reminded me of it anyway.

December 2, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  61. leilani

There was a reference to Cooper's clue-giving giant in the end scene in the Sawmill diner! "Three cinnamon pies please" in his crazy deep voice. Plus he was wearing the same outfit!

December 2, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  62. jbrink

Another interesting paralell is that the diary refers to two people both identified simply as J and R. Also, in the Psych episode, when Randy was sawing wood on the table saw, the slowed it down so it looked exactly like the sawmill portion of the opening credits of Twin Peaks.

December 2, 2010 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Christy

The white horse!

December 2, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Tara

A nickname for Michelle is Shelly. So the diner owners, Robert and Michelle, were Bobby and Shelly.

December 2, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sealio

When the body of Paula M is found, sheriff Jackson begins to cry, much like Andy does at every crime scene in "Twin Peaks"

January 5, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  65. joanna

Did you see the town sign? Looked just like the twin peaks sign!

December 2, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Lisa

Twin Peaks...duel Spires!! lol

December 2, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  67. jbrink

Another reference that was not mentioned is that the character named Jack is blind in one eye and has 30% vision in the other is a very obvious reference to One Eyed Jack's, the casino/brothel over the Canadian border where Laura Palmer worked and much of the action took place.

December 2, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • jack999

This was one of my favorites! So subtle you would have to be a true fan to understand it. :)

December 2, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Brandon

That is incorrect. In the pilot episode of Twin Peaks Nadine Hurley is first shown wearing a eye patch over her left eye with cotton balls to add to her invention.

December 2, 2010 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

There was a poster of the solar system in the suspect's room. A red ribbon, which resembled the red curtains in the black lodge, was placed between Jupiter and Saturn. The black lodge was said to appear when Jupiter and Saturn were in alignment. I don't think ANYONE else got that reference

December 9, 2010 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Brandon

Good addition to the posting of comments. I mean, seriously where did you do your research. I mean, wow. It's like you have seen all the television shows ever produced and are able to justify your comment with the statement that it's a "bad show". FIve years and still running, hmm. That's pretty darn good. Oh wait, The Mentalist, on CBS if you didn't know, actually stole the premise of Pysch. Tweeked it a bit, but a major network station basically copying a cable show, hmm you are definetly right. So continue to watch your episodes of "Joey" and keep calling NBC to get it back on the air. Or is it the Michael Richards Show you're protesting. Leave a reply. I want to know what you think is the "best" show.

December 2, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  69. cheefsfury

THE BEST SHOW EVER IS DOCTOR WHO AND THE MENTALIST IS WAY BETTER THAN PYSCH AND DOCTOR WHO IS ON ITS LIKE 30TH SEASON SO IT MUST BE BY YOUR MENTALITY PRETTY AMAZING

December 3, 2010 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  70. livefire2

Best shows are definitely Psych and Twin Peaks dude. Calm down.

December 3, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  71. DewOfHeaven

Whoa. Calm down, dude. People are allowed to like more than one TV show. It's also not necessarily fair, or in this case relevant, to compare shows of different genres. Doctor Who is wonderful, but it's not the same genre as Psych (which you spelled wrong, by the way) and The Mentalist, so it isn't really relevant to this discussion (which, in case you didn't notice, is about the Twin Peaks references in this week's episode of Psych). The Doctor would be ashamed of your observation skills.

December 3, 2010 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |