‘Terriers’: Where do we go from here?
December 2nd, 2010

‘Terriers’: Where do we go from here?

I think it should be fairly obvious that I want “Terriers” to be renewed for a second (and third and fourth) season. But if last night was the final new episode we’ll ever get, what a way to go.

I know we missed last week’s episode, so let’s do some quick catching up. Hank and Britt seem to have tentatively reconciled their differences, but Britt is facing some serious jail time for his assault on Katie’s classmate.

Hank and reporter Laura Ross think they’ve put the pieces together on the land grab case that’s spanned this whole season. Jason (the new husband of Hank’s ex) gets involved in bringing down the conspiracy, but he ends up dead because of his involvement, with Hank looking ready for some revenge.

That’s where we pick up with last night’s finale. I know I’ve written before about how “Terriers” does a great job of balancing humor with drama. Forget that. Last night was the darkest episode of the season, and with good reason. Hank knows his time is running out. He knows the bad guys are coming after him. And he knows that the people he loves are in danger strictly because they are the people he loves.

Watching Hank distance himself from his loved ones in order to protect them, especially as he fights through the case that he can’t let go of, is the perfect illustration of why this character is so interesting. Hank is wonderfully flawed. His best intentions often end up hurting the people that are closest to him. But he knows how flawed he is, and he can’t stop from trying to uncover the truth, even if it costs him his own life. His doggedness (and no, that’s not a pun on the show’s title) just made me more anxious about what might happen… either to him or because of him.

Thankfully, Hank doesn’t go off the deep end. He does solve the case (with more than a bit of help from Britt and his old partner Mark), even though the motivations behind the conspiracy went through a few twists along the way.

Speaking of, kudos to the show on two counts here: First, it pulled the season together into a single story, tying in characters that go all the way back to the first episode. And second, it respected the intelligence of its audience. We weren’t spoon-fed the information. In fact, we flat out weren’t told a lot of it. We weren’t shown the incriminating photographs, and we also weren't hit over the head with one character acting as the Exposition Fairy.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t spend some time talking about Britt. When I first wrote about “Terriers,” I described this character as a pseudo man-child. That person is gone. The Britt that we see by the end of this episode is someone who wants to take responsibility for what he’s done in order to establish the adult life with Katie that he wants and is ready for.

Well, almost. That last scene leaves us hanging. Will Britt go to prison? Will he take Hank’s offer to escape to Mexico? We don’t know, and if “Terriers” doesn’t get renewed, we never will.

I liked the show’s decision to, at least for now, leave it up to the viewer to decide what kind of characters these guys really are. For me, I like to think that Hank and Britt are still sitting at the stop light contemplating their next move.

1. Lisa

I am extremely disappointed to read that this show will not be renewed. Once again, someone has decided that one season is enough and although many shows get more time to find their audience, this won't be one of them. Those that are watching Dancing with the Stars are really missing the boat. Hugh loss.

December 10, 2010 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. ALLYCAT

Really bummed that this show was cancelled. One of the very best shows, had become my favorite. Great acting, great writing, great everything. Refreshing that all the actors & actresses are somewhat unfamiliar yet so enjoyable to watch. If I thought there was something that could be done to resurrect this show, I would lead the parade. Shame shame shame.

December 9, 2010 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Renn

Have the networks considered that the reason audience numbers fail to meet expectations is that the audiences are leary to invest time in shows that may be cancelled prematurely? Personally, I have become a fan of many, great, short-lived shows, and I'm tired of the disappointment of seing them cancelled. Now, I just wait for a while, a couple of seasons, at least, before commiting to a new show. Wake up networks, give good TV a chance.

December 9, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Brenda

I love this show. Always looking forward to Wednesday night. Really upset to hear it is not being picked up again.
    Good story lines, kept you going and wanting more. Great characters. Donal is good in whatever he does. He puts himself into his role.

December 9, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Julie

DANG IT.. I heard this show got canceled.. I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!! We have to endure such stupid shoes on TV and the decent ones always get the axe.. UGH!!!

December 9, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. V A Olson

This show had great writing and was fun to watch. My husband and I always DVR'd Terriers. I will miss the show and I hate that I don't know if they get back together and if the baby is his. UGH!

December 9, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. joyc

Good stories & great characters so what do people want? Mindless drivel I guess. Well there is plenty of that. I will truly miss these guys & their never dull lives!

December 9, 2010 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. DK

I love this show – it's my favorite this season! The time slot sucks for me so I pick it up through OnDemand to catch up. I'm actually quite upset to hear it might be canceled. Put this show on one of your marathon weekends and I bet you'll get some interest! PLEASE KEEP THIS SHOW!!

December 9, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Charlie

Without question Terriers was one of my high points! Liked everything about the show casting, story line etc. The last couple of episodes were like a speeding train kept me riveted. Hank and Britt were off the charts...I just cant say enough. FX would be a fool not to renew this show....

December 3, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Bruce Mcculloch

Terriers...are my very favorite breed
    Cute and cuddly, easy dogs to feed.....

December 3, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  11. John

It's a shame that good shows get cancelled, especially when there is so much junk on TV. If people would stop watching crap reality shows that would free up space for actual entertainment.

December 3, 2010 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  12. david7590

FX should do what they did with "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" and renew it for a second season and run the reruns of Season 1 on FOX Broadcast TV so more people will be able to find it, know what is going on, and turn it on for Season 2.

December 3, 2010 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  13. rick

Lov e this show very much. Hope to watch a new season next year. C'mon FX market it properly. Give it another shot!

December 2, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Illiterati

This is one of my all-time favorite shows. It has my kind of humor, the characters are interesting, and I find myself looking forward to the next episode, which is something that doesn't happen very often with me.

Here's hoping that FX gives "Terriers" at least one more season to find its footing. They really dropped the ball with the poor advertising campaign that told potential viewers NOTHING about the show. No wonder people haven't found it (yet).

December 2, 2010 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. dgmgdm

best show ive seen this year..only thing on FX that doesnt seem white bread soda.. yeah, come on! what else could they make, more the league. not as fun.

December 2, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Kelly

FOX execs should get their heads out of their asses- they have renewed Rescue Me three years beyond when the plug should have been pulled. Terriers is one of the BEST shows on television. Original storyline, witty writing, intriguing characters and great acting.

December 2, 2010 at 8:13 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Steve

I have been watching this show in the UK... one of the best shows I've seen in a while offbeat, witty, with great believable characters FX should show some guts TV isn't just about numbers!!

December 2, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  18. zig

-very well written-be a shame not to renew situmbled upon this show and love it-smart-well acted

December 2, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Adrian

I totally agree. It would be a shame if this great if Terriers doesn't get renewed.

December 2, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Mira

Love this show, I hope it gets renewed, fantastic great show!

December 2, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  21. r

I love this show. Apparently, it may not get renewed and, if not, what a loss. A really good show – just like the article says – dark with humor, intelligence and great characters. I hope they get another season!

December 2, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |