Nicki Minaj reacts to Regis Philbin getting grabby
December 1st, 2010

Nicki Minaj reacts to Regis Philbin getting grabby

Regis Philbin took a hands-on approach to interviewing hip-hop sensation Nicki Minaj on Monday's edition of "LIVE! With Regis and Kelly."

Following her performance of "Right Thru Me," the flamboyant rapper/singer joined Philbin and his co-host Kelly Ripa for a chat. That's when 79-year-old Philbin got a little gropey.

"I love the way you dress. This looks like you've got a little strap around you there," he said of Minaj's frock, running his hand across the front hem before patting the 25-year-old on the bottom.

"Regis!" gasped a shocked Ripa, 40. "What just happened?!"

Later in the interview, Philbin asked what career advice Minaj's record-label boss Lil' Wayne has given her.

"Wayne tells me to go hard," the rainbow-haired beauty said.

"Go hard? I wish I could!" quipped Philbin.

Despite the racy high jinks, Minaj – whose just-released album, "Pink Friday," is set to debut at No. 2 on the Billboard charts - is laughing off the on-air incident.

Asked by a Twitter follower, "What went thru your mind when Regis had slapped ya? That was epic!" she replied, "LOL. I was in shock!"

1. Rae

Nicki was a good sport..Regis was being funny and playful and she got that (he can slap my butt anytime :). Kelly's reaction was silly...she should've played along. She's about as boring as a bus ride.

December 4, 2010 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mr. X

Dont cry Jim, this is just how things are and there is nothing we can do about it. The Kanye, Taylor Swift incident? All setup by Martha Stewart and Betty White. You want more? Lady Gaga becoming a super-star in less than a year? It was setup by the guy who played Uncle Joey on Full House. Still want more? How about America's obsession with Dancing With The Stars? It was all set-up by Chuck Norris to keep us from finding out that Justin Bieber secretly control's the universe. How else could u explain Justhn getting nominated for a Gramy? Look, I gotta go. I've already said to much. But I must warn you...Booty-Gate is just the begining. (Mr. X quickly runs into an unmarked car and drives away. Never to be seen or heard from again).

December 2, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jim Garrison

OPRAH! OPRAH! OPRAH! OPRAH! OPRAH! Why Oprah, why? (one lonely teardrop runs down my left cheek). You were a hero to women world-wide! What did u and Regis gain from Booty-Gate? You dont need the ratings your Oprah! If we continue to let people like Oprah and Regis do things like this what does it say about us? We just continue to let the bad guy's WALK BETWEEN THE RAINDROPS. If this is what America has come to then this is not the country I want to live in and I certainly dont want to die here. (tears of pain and loneliness slowly run down my eyes).

December 2, 2010 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jim Garrison

I think this whole thing was setup by the show to get ratings. In fact after looking at the tape in super slow motion I think that the United States Goverment was in on this also. If u look at frame 25 there is a shadow of a man approaching Nicki. Take a look at Frame 25 thru 36 then go BACK AND TO THE LEFT, BACK AND TO THE LEFT, BACK AND TO THE LEFT....This shows that their was a Conspiracy by our goverment and Regis to get high ratings for the show. Nicki was in on it also, that's why she wasn't mad. It's obvious that the joke was a setup for Regis to say his line about "wishing he could still go hard." Regis has never been the type to come up with a funny comeback right on the spot. Wake up America! Booty-Gate was a carefully crafted incident setup by the goverment, Regis and Oprah Winfrey.

December 2, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  5. Avon Barksdale

El Jefe, if Nicki Minaj looks like a Muppet then I wanna be a Muppet! You can call me Kermit The Frog cause i'd leave Miss Piggy and hop over to Nicki!

December 2, 2010 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. L

Horrible performance!!

December 2, 2010 at 5:13 am | Report abuse |
  7. Locode

Regis is clearly losing his mind if he finds that bizarre freak attractive.

December 2, 2010 at 3:59 am | Report abuse |
    • the floacist

Lady Gaga wears weird wigs and she's called creative and unique. Nicki Minaj wears weird wigs and she's called a "bizarre freak ". She is a pretty girl, but she wears outrageous costumes. That said, I'm pretty sure it wasn't her face he was looking at....

December 8, 2010 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. D

Her hair looks really gross

December 1, 2010 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Avon Barksdale

And THE PLAYA OF 'THE WEEK' award goes to...Regis Philbin!

December 1, 2010 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. SKY

FACT: SHOULD HAVE SLAP HIS FACE.

December 1, 2010 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Avon Barksdale

Regis never tried nothin with Kelly cause she too skinny! He ain't stupid! If u could get some GRADE A STEACK or some bones which would u choose!? Steak all day!

December 1, 2010 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Avon Barksdale

Me too Rick! I ain't mad at Regis. He did what every man (and a whole lotta women!) in America has wanted to do since she first came out! She a 5 STAR CHICK and it was just too much! And everybody know once you go black u never go back!

December 1, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rick

Nicki just has one of those bodies that put you in a trance. Regis couldn't help himself. That booty was calling him. Kelly couldn't believe it. She has been doing the show with him for years and wanted to know why he never tried anything with her. LOL. Well, I guess we know his preference now. I'm not mad at you Reg. I probably would have tried to sneak a free feel also. (Not on camera, though) LMAO!

December 1, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Chris

Regis is finally senile. He needs his meds.

December 1, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joe

She is proof of life on Mars

December 1, 2010 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Lisa

If you watch the clip carefully you see Regis put his arm around Nicki`s waist and attempt to pull her toward him. She braces her body and he lets go. I was extremely surprised at the lack of judgement he used in patting her rear end and the comment made later about his ability to get hard is vulgar and not I picture i want in my head. At the least Regis owes her a public apology. I think Kelly`s reaction was perfect. She was shocked and so were many people watching.

December 1, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  17. El Jefe

That looks like a Muppet.

December 1, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |