'Glee' takes it back to its first love
December 1st, 2010

'Glee' takes it back to its first love

Maybe it was just me, but I feel like “Glee” was digging deep on Tuesday night.

The episode was all about things being slightly off, and the glee club trying to get back to where they once were - sort of like trying to rediscover the glee in “Glee.” (I’ve felt like that a bit this season. There have been some episodes that I loved, loved, loved, while others not so much.)

It seemed like the “Glee” kids were also feeling a little disjointed - no one could stand Rachel, and I have to agree. That chick has become super annoying.

She’s been throwing fits about everything lately, and this week was all about her anger over losing a solo at Sectionals, plus her discovery that Finn had slept with Santana. I’m getting sick of listening to her whine, for real. You don’t have to worry about me crying for you Miss Rachel because like Quinn said, I’m starting to want to smack you one. I didn’t even feel bad for her when Finn dumped her. She needs an attitude adjustment and quick.

I applauded Mr. Schuester for his decision (with the prodding of Emma) to let some of the other students step up and get some shine. I wholeheartedly agree. I could never get enough Brittany, and watching her relationship develop with Artie has been some sweet TV. I love that they have paired the most physical character on the show (her dance moves are CRAZY) with the kid in the wheelchair. Way to work the opposites attract theme “Glee.”

I mean, now that Kurt has transferred and is an official member of The Warblers, it was time to mix things up. The world has gone a little crazy with Kurt fearful for his life, Rachel no longer the star and Puck mellowing out, so why not step out of the comfort zone?

The show did just that with Quinn and Sam fronting New Directions for a little “Dirty Dancing” duet on “I’ve Had the Time of My Life” and Santana stepping up to smash it on “Valerie.” Brittany and Mike Chang’s dance routine just helped to amp a really great performance. It totally gave me goose bumps, just like I used to get in the early days of the show.

They pulled together and reconnected with their love of the music, and that's what I feel like lots of us Gleeks needed to do too. That being said, and I may be in the minority here, but I just didn’t love The Warblers version of “Hey Soul Sister.” Then again, that could be because that song has been played to death.

I was almost as shocked by the tie at the competition as I was with Emma eloping with the dentist in Vegas. I predict that she is going to regret that move, but I also predict that even once she is free again there won’t be smooth sailing for her and Mr. Schuester. Something tells me that we haven’t heard the last of his ex-wife Terri, and I wouldn’t be shocked if she ends up pregnant for real this time after their earlier hook-up.

Your thoughts on the show? Any predictions for what happens next?

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television • TV recaps

1. Marketa

I know that stage pose so well....love the picture

July 8, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. vanessa

can you have the cast of glee because I like glee a lot . and can you ask them how Meany times Finn and Rachel broke up in glee .

July 8, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Pamela

I loved this episode. It felt more like the old GLEE. I did not like the "polished" episodes with the huge dance numbers (Britney Spears, Rocky Horror, etc.). No one does stuff like that in high school! I like when they wear simple outfits and do not all match perfectly – teens wear converse... those episodes in season 1 were what made GLEE popular.

I am not a huge Santana fan but I loved her song. She sings much better than I would have thought. I love that they featured someone else besides Rachel and Finn. Enough already with those two.

The dancers were TDF!! Loved it, loved it, loved it!!!

December 8, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Truth

I will watch when they do "Glee: The Self Immolation Episode"
    Until then, not so much.

December 2, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Love

I have to agree with the majority on this one...i love to sit and watch Glee every Tuesday but lately the episodes have been off....I just want Mercades to get a boy toy everyone has one except her....and whats with Santana...is she with Puck, why was she jealous of Finn and Rachel...and what ever happened to Sunshines character?...and they need to kick that new girl off of New Directions....but who will fill her spot??.....

December 2, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Emily

Rachel has a good voice, but I agree, she IS annoying. She always looks lie she has a headache when she sings.

December 1, 2010 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Guest

I'm sorry, but for me Glee was disappointing. After all the sectionals hype of who wins...
    IT'S A TIE?!? How anticlimactic. I wish they would have done Florence + the machine justice with the dog days are over. But I love Brittany and Artie. I liked how the new girl saved Puck's life, for a box a Cadbury eggs.
    "Good Luck finding them, there not in season"

December 1, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • tdr92

Yeah, I don't get the tie thing. I wasn't impressed with the Warblers performance. It was more like “Blaine and his backup singers” as opposed to a true group performance. It didn't rate a tie with New Directions since they had more of their group involved. I guess they need a reasons to get Blaine in more episodes.

December 2, 2010 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Meesh

I loved last nights episode.. It was a nice change from the previous episodes. I love seeing the other characters more, like Artie and Brittany (She’s my favorite character).. And Rachel: Love her voice, but her character is too controlling.

December 1, 2010 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. MeNBe

So is it just me? I though that Kurt's transition to The Warblers would have gone a little more smoothly that was in this episode...i'm thinking that things always look greener on the other side...come back to us Kurt!

December 1, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • tdr92

I think Kurt's move has gone like any move to a new school. But you're right. He's finding out the grass isn't always greener. He'll feel safer because he's accepted, but he'll be accepted if and only if he acts like everyone else.

December 2, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ron31

I think that Schue and Emma will get back together. I also think that Rachel is annoying and would love to see her transfer schools.I know they will win regionals one day, but how are they going to that when they graduate....or will ever graduate

December 1, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. DougB

I loved all the musical numbers, except the Don't Cry for Me Argentina duet of Rachel and Kurt. What I had a problem with was the storyline of Emma eloping with Dentist John Stamos. It seemed so out of character, plus there was no real build up. I believe she wasn't in the last 2 episodes so this seemed to come out of the blue. I guess that is what happens when the writers focus on social issues and not character development. The sectional musical numbers I loved, even the old glee club people. My question is how long will that bird that Kurt was given stay alive!

December 1, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. D.S.

OMG! After Mr. Shue's romance moment two weeks ago with Terri, I totally called that she would be prego for real this time! I was slightly disappointed in this week's episode, but I do have to say; when Kurt was singing "Don't Cry For Me, Argentina" I could help but die laughing when he started to thrust his arms up in true Patti Lupone fashion, and Blaine subtly motioned for him to lower them!! I laughed until I cried!

December 1, 2010 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lauren

Hehehe, I absolutely loved the arms scene with Kurt and Blaine as well, couldn't stop laughing :)

December 8, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse |
  13. Leslie

ohhh......I feel like the piling on of Rachel is similar to bullying and I hate that. She really seem to need Glee club and as annoying as she gets, I feel for her.

December 1, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Holly

Wow, talk about Ken and Barbie – Quinn and Sam would have hit the gene lottery if they had kids – too cute!

I LOVE Artie and Brittany together – I was really bummed when I thought she cheated on him but the losing of the comb was hilarious. Great characters!

December 1, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Leslie

I did not like last night's episode. I think the beginning number of sectionals with Quinn and Sam was weak. And why do they keep coming from the back of the auditorium? I don't like Santana so listening to her is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. The dancing was ok, not top notch just ok. As for the Emma/Carl tie in, I am very disappinted the writers did this. I have little faith that Glee will return to the punch it seemed to have last year.

December 1, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Holly Golightly

Yeah, I used to like Rachel, but she is annoying the h*e*double hockey sticks outta me! So what was up with her and Puck? They just made out, and Finn broke up with her over that?? Or did she lie and said they did each other?? I like Quinn and Sam! And I love Dirty Dancing! How about a DD show with Jennifer Grey guest starring?? Emma will get divorced or annulled–although I just have to say again John Stamos is SMOKIN! She was mean rubbing her relationship in Schue's face. Santana has a good voice. I don't like Artie and Brittany together, although her lines are funny! It's weird Kurt's at another school. And yeah, the episode was a little disjointed.

December 1, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Texas Mom

I agree with you on this one about everything except Brit and Artie. I kinda like them together it calms Brit down and its kinda sweet. As far as the episode being disjointed I agree with that. Rachel is getting very annoying. Looks like Kurt isn't having that great of a time at his new school after all. Sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side.

December 2, 2010 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  17. Joy

So sad about Finn and Rachel. They were the one true relationship in the show. I felt not so gleeful after last night – their breakup was horrible. Rachel is horrible. How could she do that to Finn? I just wish the writers could just keep at least one thing permanent – them being happy and adorable as they always are. It is so sad... I miss Finn and Rachel!

December 1, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |