Heart-wrenching decisions on 'The Walking Dead'
November 29th, 2010

Heart-wrenching decisions on 'The Walking Dead'

As the first season of "The Walking Dead" winds down, the constant struggle for survival has taken its toll among those camped out near Atlanta, as seen in Sunday night's episode.

Picking up where we left off last week, Andrea was still in shock, unable to leave the side of her dead sister. When Amy started to stir as a zombie, Andrea told her she was sorry before shooting her in the head (once again, an incredible performance by Laurie Holden).

While other members of the camp were forced to make sure that their loved ones were gone for good, Jim was found to have been bitten by a walker.

Not long after the group left for the CDC (aside from one family who decided to go their own way), seeking a possible cure, Jim told them to leave him. After much hesitation (to say the least), Rick and the rest agreed to his wishes, and Jim even refused to take one of Rick's guns.

This episode had one scene after another like this - including Shane's momentary temptation to kill Rick in the woods - and each one of them was played perfectly, making it the best episode since the pilot.

The group struggling to make the right decisions in the face of such a horrific situation has made for a compelling series so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing what lies beyond the open doors of the CDC (what an amazing closing shot that was, by the way), where, evidently, only one suicidal man has survived.

What did you think of this week's episode, and what are your hopes for next week's season finale? Would you make some of the same decisions Rick's group has made? Share your thoughts on an iReport video, or comment below.

1. kelli

I think that Rick is already infected, and that is why he survived the hospital. I do think he has the anti virus cure in his blood stream, and that is that the doctor whispered in his ear.

December 5, 2010 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  2. W7edwin

what i dont get is why did they copy 28 Days Later/ 28 Weeks Later?! lmao

November 29, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Try to do some research on it and you will then understand. Try to think about it. I know thinking is hard for you but try.

November 29, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Miguel

Just a heads up. The graphic novel had the hospital scene first before the same scene on 28 days later. Do some research.

December 3, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Zombie Slayer

I've never read the comics, but I do love Zombie films. Okay, now that I got that out of the way. This series is just fantastic!!! Thank you AMC for taking the chance with it. I love the cast of characters. Truly different individuals. The acting is great and I love how they are playing this for real. No campiness or taking a cheap way out with hollow thrills and gore.

Loved the episode. The last part of the episode with the sheriff yelling at the CDC camera, "...if you don't open up, you are killing us!!!" I just felt his frustration. Also the whole argument of where to go next when they thought the CDC wasn't going to pan out, the worry, the comment about not enough gas... I really felt for these people. (Love how I never know who they will kill next...)

As others mentioned, loved the scene with the sisters. They also had a great scene last week in the boat about their dad. Beautiful! That women taking the pick axe to her SOB husband... Wow! That said so much, sometime you can do it with dialog and sometimes a pick axe to the head says it all! ;-)

Only issue... is how long do we need to wait for season 2?

November 29, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. WinchLock

I dunno, this episode really irritated me. If I were in such a situation, I would have probably gone to Fort Benning instead. Since the Fort is essentially the home of the Army Rangers, has large fences and the Chattahoochee River on the back side of it. Not to mention a couple small-scale hydro-electric dams providing the base power upstream of it. Beyond this, I enjoyed the episode.

November 29, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Agreed

Heading towards large pop density clusters is STOOPID!!! A military fort is a great idea... especially w/hydro electicity.. A river means water as well. Food is the concern. I'd head west. Get a cross the mississippi as fast as possible. In World War Z zombies can walk under water so a river isn't necessarily a plus... AND in that series water is almost always teeming with "Zeds" or now "Walkers" at the bottom.

Still head to the fort... not to Atlanta one of the most populated cities in the country. NOT toward Birmingham which is the biggest city in AL. That aspect kind of annoys me about the show. ALSO STOP SCREAMING MORONS!..... Darryl is awesome but like stfu already when you're in the city. Same with Rick stop pounding on metal doors.

November 30, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Phillip

They aren't following scene by scene although pretty close. There have been some changes though. Like the scene last night between Shane aiming at Rick in the woods. How that scene plays out is different in the comic.

November 29, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Nicole

Does anyone know if they are following the comic book scene by scene? I know the pilot episode was essentially a replica of the comic book but I wonder how closely they will follow the comic storyline.

November 29, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bob

Good entertainment, first time in a long time I have wanted to come home from work and watch t.v. Better story line than
    most Hollywood productions.

November 29, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Pliny

It sure seemed like Carol (the battered wife) got the last laugh on Ed (her abusive husband).
    Ed got killed/zombified in last week's episode. And last night, Carol put the final smack-down on Ed's head.
    With a pickaxe! Multiple times!!!

I liked Andrea pulling the gun on Rick when he went over to talk with her about Amy's body. And I particularly liked the camera-work as Amy came back. Watching her arms reaching up towards Andrea...and her face moving closer and closer into 'bite range'....then KAPOW!

CJ mentioned the 'psychic/clarivoyant' aspect of Jim. That whole 'procognition in a dream' really made me think of Stevie King.

November 29, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. cj

This series just keeps getting better and better. I started out seeing the promos for it in October and was intrigued (love the whole zombie thing) and excited to see one of my favorite actors from "Love Actually" on American television (Rick). There are always scenes like the ones described above in every show but last night was outstanding. Andrea's scenes were amazing with her poor sister Amy (anyone remember "Andrea" from the movie "The Mist" with Thomas Jane? I was sorry that Jim was bitten and left behind. I liked that he was almost psychic or clairovoyant and we only got a taste of that, but maybe he'll be back ;) Can't wait for the final episode! And looking forward to that gnawing, yearning feeling while waiting for Season 2!

November 29, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. LadyMcDow

The episode was AWESOME...and I am lovin' Daryl Dixon..even if he is a redneck hothead, LOL.

November 29, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pliny

Totally agreed!

He's a timebomb.

But, he's got a great aim with that crossbow!

I expect that his brother Merle will be along soon enough...just to re-ignite Daryl's fuse.

I love the fact that this show seems to have no problem killing off it's main characters.

November 29, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Zombie Slayer

Completely agree, he's great! One of those guys that you want at your back in a fight, but at other times just scares the heck out you. (Me at least.) I really am interested to see how his personal story goes when he reunites with his brother. I'm expecting that storyline sometime, it would be too good to pass up...

November 29, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. theishu

Is the regular writer taking some time off for Thanksgiving? Just wondered how come this episode's review isn't as extensive as the others.

Only asking because I was kinda looking forward to reading this today. So many plot points that could have been written about in depth: Rick's 'monologues' with Morgan, his decisions that are gradually starting to become a bit 'unpopular' with some of the folks – going to the city to find CDC, raving in front of the CDC gates amid approaching walkers, etc.

Bring back the good stuff please! :)

November 29, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  12. portalpunk

what does 'ur mom' mean zombies are not real? look at almost any politician and its proof they are real

November 29, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  13. J

The Episode was great! One thing I don’t get that I would like to point out is this. If this Virus can be passed from bites and what not how come when the older sister had her dying sisters blood all over her, didn’t that contaminate her? In the earlier episode we hear that they can’t get the blood on them, or is it they can’t get the blood on a open sore or wound? And as far as the CDC guy we need to get some background as to how he got to that point? And as far as the live sample, well we all know Jim would be a good choice, but now they have to go back to get him if he is even there? What about Crazy old Merle? And not to mention it’s highly probable the CDC guy will infect one of them if the Older sister is not already infected due to her sisters blood being all over her while she died.

And yes, what about that Helicopter Rick spotted? They had to be going somewhere>?

November 29, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
    • gak

I'm by no means an expert on zombie lore, but I believe that the blood the older sister had on her was fresh (untainted) blood from her little sister. The bite takes time to infect the entire body and then spread through out. The blood that is "ejected" from the body of a human not yet turned would not be infected yet, so should be safe. Of course, if it were me- I would have been washing everything off of me immediately just in case... but I don't feel like this instance has compromised the integrity of the theory or zombie-dom.
      Also, I assumed the helicopter was on a recon mission flying over the city trying to determine the size of the zombie crowd, seeing if they had left the area or cannibalized themselves... how far away could the base be? roundtrip gas and all... must still be in georgia somewhere, right?

November 29, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris M

Without spoiling anything, in the books it's explained that every one is infected, period. If you get bit you turn into a zombie, and if you die from natural causes you still turn into a zombie.

November 29, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  14. To ur mom

Of course zombies aren't real, nor will they ever be. This is just great television. You're the one who needs to chill and get a life. It doesn't float your boat? Don't watch it and don't be a jerk on this forum.

November 29, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  15. Your mom

' ur mom ' is gay (:

November 29, 2010 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  16. ur mom

fruits!!!!!!!!!!!! zombies arnt real, nor will they ever be!

November 29, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  17. ur mom

fruits!!!!!!!!!!!! zombies arnt real, nor will they ever be! get a damn life

November 29, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  18. Suzanne

One of the best shows on tv along with The League

November 29, 2010 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  19. Phillip

I rather enjoyed the episode and the scene between the living and the dead sisters was excellent. For a second, I did expect Shane to shoot Rick and I'm glad that someone else was there to witness his temporary lapse. He's a loose cannon and Rick needs to know. Shame on his wife and on Shane for not being open about their relationship. It's going to eventually come out and I'd guess it will be at a really bad time.

What kinda confused me is why the CDC guy wanted them to leave at first. He was suicidal just minutes before...you'd think he'd be reaching out to anyone around him.

My predictions though....the group returns to Jim to get a 'live sample' for the CDC guy....or the CDC guy purposefully infects someone in the group for a live sample.

Loving the show!

November 29, 2010 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Renee

I agree, this is one of the best shows on TV right now. I think this CDC guy is going to infect someone in the group, i think it will be the other sister. Also, remember in the first epsoide when Rick was on the horse going to Atlanta for the first time and he was chasing the helicopters. Who was in those helicopters and where, were they going?

November 29, 2010 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Phillip

You're right...they never really have brought that back up. Although I've wondered if it wasn't some sort of delusion on Rick's part. They never showed it directly...just a reflection of the choppers. Plus, considering the lack of noise, I would think that helicopters would have been heard rather easily. Just odd that nobody else can confirm it.

November 29, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Nicole

Yeah I thought the CDC part was a little unrealistic considering the place would probably still be full of scientists and other government types that survived alongside the only guy left, the guy from the Truman Show lol.

They better have a good explanation as to why the CDC is empty, like an internal outbreak or something. I also think the CDC guy is going to send Rick and his crew out on "recovery" missions, however I don't think he will infect one of them. Pehraps he will use them in another way, like in order for them to stay there they have to perform a dangerous endeavor for him, such as recovering "fresh" samples.

If anyone knows the plot for the comic please feel free to spoil our guessing lol. I think the CDC guy will serve as their intelligence and headquarters since he has all of those cameras and high-tech equipment. Therefore, I think the CDC guy will be a continuing character throughout the series, I hope so anyway because I like the guy from the Truman Show lol.

It will be interesting to see how safe the CDC really is, and if they will make it their home-base or if they will continuely move on throughout the series. I hope the budget for next season is increased x4 because it would make the story feel that much more realistic. However they are doing a wonderful job with a presumably small budget, I can't wait to see the series evolve, a blockbuster movie with all of the main characters would be amazing.

November 29, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris M

Nothing to spoil on the CDC guy, that storyline isn't in the comics.

The first episode followed the first book very well and after that it diverged. The captured Glen storyline was new, and the camp is fairly similar yet different. As much I enjoyed the books, I like being surprised while watching the show. They have captured one of the best aspects of the comics though, in that it was really about the people and how they interact instead of the zombies.

November 29, 2010 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nicole

Perhaps* and continually* lol

November 29, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laura

I think he wanted them to go away bc he actually needs a sample of human brain- not infected. He knows he'll be tempted to kill one of them for a sample. Think about it- he could easily get a sample of zombie brain but not human.

November 29, 2010 at 10:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • BRAINS!!!!!!!!!

I think you're 100% right.

The CDC guy will either infect one of them OR require that they get someone. Another possiblity is that Jenner (CDC guy) infected those he was stationed with to try and find a cure ... maybe he has a kid there, his kid and is desperate to save them? The CDC guy will require new samples.... one way or another.

November 30, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |