November 29th, 2010

A blog post called Shirley

Fans are mourning the loss of Leslie Nielsen today; the veteran actor passed away Sunday at the age of 84.

After appearing in dramatic roles for years in movies like “Forbidden Planet” and the TV series “The Swamp Fox,” Nielsen had what actor Michael McKean called “one of the greatest second acts in movie history,” after stealing several scenes in the comedy blockbuster, “Airplane!”

He went on to appear in many comedy spoofs afterward, most memorably as Lt. Frank Drebin in “The Naked Gun” trilogy.

CNN.com commenters and Twitter users are already sharing some of their favorite lines from Nielsen’s career, especially “Don’t call me Shirley,” which was ranked in the top 100 movie lines of all time in 2005 by the American Film Institute.

Other commenters, like Badger905 and LYORBEN, fondly recall lines from Nielsen's films “Forbidden Planet” and “The Naked Gun.”

What was your favorite Nielsen line? Share it below, and if you had the chance to meet him, share your memories with the iReport community.

1. Bruce

From Airplane I Leslie Nielson as Dr. Rumack

Rumack: Captain how soon can you land?

Captain Oveur: I can't tell.

Rumack: You can tell me. I'm a doctor.

Captain Oveur: No, I mean I'm just not sure.

Rumack: Well, can't you take a guess?

Captain Oveur: Well, not for another two hours.

Rumack: You can't take a guess for another two hours?

November 29, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Qwina

Great guy,brought much joy in his movies R.I.P.

November 29, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Victor

Requiescat in pace Leslie.

It's funny he didn't want to be called Shirley but he had a girl's name in real life anyway.

A truly great comedica actor. He will be sorely missed.

November 29, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Pliny

Get out of here before I have you run out of the area under guard...
    and then I'll put more guards on the guards!

Monsters from the Id.

We're all part monsters in our subconscious!
    So we have laws and religion.

November 29, 2010 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  5. babycelebs411

he will be dearly missed. what a wonderful actor and comedian:) if interested, check out our Celebs911 page for a special message from above. today:http://babycelebs411.com/2010/11/29/angelina-jolie-adopted-son-pax-thien-is-celebrating-his-7th-birthday/. on our Celebs911 page see the latest celebs predictions.

November 29, 2010 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mike

From Naked Gun
    'Protecting the Queen's safety is a task that is gladly accepted by Police Squad. No matter how silly the idea of having a queen might be to us, as Americans, we must be gracious and considerate hosts. '

November 29, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  7. portalpunk

jane; would you like a nightcap?
    frank: no, thank you, I don't wear them.

November 29, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. MaggieF

A hospital? What is it?

It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

November 29, 2010 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |