Brendan Fraser's play closes after a week
November 26th, 2010

Brendan Fraser's play closes after a week

He may have defeated "The Mummy," but it seems Brendan Fraser is no match for the Great White Way. Just a week after making his Broadway debut with the official opening of the comedy "Elling," the production is already set to close.

"Elling," about two mental patients (Fraser and "True Blood" star Denis O'Hare) being reintegrated into society, began previews on November 2 and opened to mostly mixed reviews on November 21. By the time the show closes on November 28, it will have played 22 previews and 9 regular performances, reports Playbill.com.

"Coming to Broadway is the fulfillment of a life's aspiration for me. I'm very excited," the 41-year-old actor, whose previous stage experience includes starring in a London production of "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof," told Playbill in October.

"I'm looking forward to the whole run of it, for having had the experience of the arc of a performance over an entire run. We have 20 weeks, so that's a lot of time for me to learn how to get my job done right. By closing night, I'll have it down!"

"Elling," which had one of the shortest stints by a Broadway play in recent years, according to the Hollywood Reporter, was originally slated to run until March.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • theater

1. Levig Mangenu

What’s Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It absolutely useful and it has aided me out loads. I'm hoping to contribute & assist different users like its aided me. Great job.

July 5, 2012 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  2. LoopsFroot

He looks like that nutbar that claims to have been kidnapped. Jeremy London, right?

November 29, 2010 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  3. YOUBRO

BROADWAY PLAYS ARE GAY. AND SO R THOSE WHO ATTEND. BUT BRENADAN IS THE SHIZNIT

November 28, 2010 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. GuitarHarry

For those who are vilifying this actor, you obviously have very limited knowledge and taste about film: check out "The Quiet American" with Michael Caine, or "Gods and Monsters" with Ian Mckellen. Before you attempt to be a film criic, trywatching some movies that do not feature ghosts, mummies, or car chases! Fraser might not be Robert DeNiro, but he is an accomplished and capable actor, equally in his element doing serious drama, farce, children's movies, and hollywood action flicks.

November 28, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  5. georgiegurl

No talent? I guess you never saw his body of work that has spanned the past 20 years and co stared many of our strongest and well honored actors. The play was wonderful! Im sorry no one will get to see all of the wonderful performances from all of the actors in the play.

November 27, 2010 at 8:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. kinjaro

Brendan has zero talent.. is anybody surprised? I am not.... pathetic actor = pathetic play = gig cancelled.... Next!

November 27, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. georgiegurl

My family and I saw the play and thought the acting was wonderful. The play was wonderful too but too heavy I think for the new jaded world we are in right now. The audience also liked the performances and we gave the actors a standing ovation for a job well done. I love Brendan Fraser and I am very sorry this play was canceled. I look forward seeing him in future projects. I am also sorry for the his fellow actors in this play a well.

November 26, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  8. shawn

sarcasm alert: This guy is such a great actor, who could possibly have predicted this?

November 26, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. cheefsfury

BAD ACTOR IS BAD ACTOR NO MATTER WHERE YOU PUT IT

November 26, 2010 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • GuitarHarry

You are so articulate! You must be a professional acting teacher or film critic. Please, give us more of your wisdom!

November 28, 2010 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |