Kanye talks Taylor, Prez Bush at Bowery Ballroom concert
November 24th, 2010

Kanye talks Taylor, Prez Bush at Bowery Ballroom concert

In advance of his expected performance at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, Kanye West hit up the Bowery Ballroom in New York City Tuesday for a set that featured songs off his critically acclaimed album, “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.”

The performance was packed with some of the album’s guest stars, including Swizz Beatz, John Legend, Pusha T and Nicki Minaj (whose own album, “Pink Friday,” dropped this week), according to New York magazine's Vulture.

But as interesting as the performance was, it looks like West’s closing speech has grabbed plenty of attention.

West started off with the obvious: “As you know, it's been an extremely hard year for me…But getting back to music, G.O.O.D. Fridays, and the album ... I never thought I'd say this, I wanna thank the magazines for perfect scores across the board. I always felt like I could do anything.”

And while he said he's not "here to talk politics; I'm here to make music" – and also wasn’t interested in being asked any “stupid f--” questions – he did refer to two incidents that have caused a media hailstorm: what shall forever be known as That One Time at the VMAs and the recent media mentions of the phrase he uttered about former president George W. Bush during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

“I am very particular with my words, and [with] the emotion that I felt at that time, it wasn’t worded exactly right," West told the crowd last night of his statement. He added that while others were praising him for saying “George Bush doesn’t care about black people,” he was thinking, “that’s not exactly what I wanted to say. I was emotional, that was not exactly the way I wanted to word it. But I rode it.”

In fact, he went on, he rode it kinda like Taylor Swift did.

“I rode it. Just as Taylor never came to my defense in any interview and rode the wave," West said. "And rode it, and rode it. That’s the way I rode the wave of the Bush comment. It’s not about popular opinion, it’s about when you look in your heart and know what’s right and what’s wrong."

West then called the interview "Today's" Matt Lauer conducted with the former president exploitative.

"Look at what the media did, at how they exploited [Bush]. They said that he said it was his lowest moment and as a mass, as America, we took that as fact...If you look at the interview he said that was one of his lowest moments... But because the popularity of me, they exploited that, to make you watch the interview and make you feel that he was stupider than ever, to think that a rapper’s comment could be his lowest moment."

West ended the litany of statements with a note of encouragement. "If you’re a real artist, have no fear," he said, instructing said artists to say and do what they choose. "And if it’s meant to be, the people will stand up, like the people stood up for me this week, 600,000 coming off being the most hated person this time last year."

You can check out the full video of West's statements here.

Filed under: Celebrities • Kanye West • Music • Taylor Swift

1. The MUSIC and DISNEY Girl

I guess Kanye West just wants attention. Just sayin

November 29, 2010 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  2. Lisa

Taylor Swift and George Bush deserve each other. Kanye said the truth about BOTH OF THEM!!! The fact that Taylor's non-talent behind won some grammys after the situations confirms what Kanye is saying. George Bush needs to be in jail for an illegal war and Taylor needs go and get some talent!!!

November 26, 2010 at 8:43 am | Report abuse |
  3. Wondering Why

How insecure must a man be to repeatedly pick on a teenager who has done absolutely nothing to him?

November 26, 2010 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
  4. Avon Barksdale

PRINCE WILLIAM: Pardon me, but I seem to have scratched my new copy of Kanye's album. Could one of you HATER'S send me a copy? LOL!

November 25, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Avon Barksdale

WHAT THE???? Rick you gotta be a WHITE BOY! Knowbody said anything about Taylor Swift. The article just put what Ye said about Taylor not sayin anything. Most of the comments were from me making fun of all u HATERS and my recording of The Dave Chappelle P*** On You Remix. Which is available now on iTunes! I BET I GET MORE SALES ON iTUNES THAN THE WHOLE BEATLES CATALOG!

November 25, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. DJ

This is getting old...he reminds me of my two year old.

November 25, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  7. Rick

West needs to just shut the f up... I wish the masses would just ignore this racist and let him fade into nothing. Swift did absolutely nothing wrong and doesn't owe him a damn thing!

November 25, 2010 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  8. Avon Barksdale

And I forgot to mention Q play's for the other team. So sad.

November 25, 2010 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  9. Avon Barksdale

It's sad that Quincy is ashamed of being black. White Wife: CHECK. Two mixed daughter's who only want to identify with their white side: CHECK. BEING A SELLOUT & A DISGRACE TO YOUR RACE: PRICELESS.

November 25, 2010 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  10. Avon Barksdale

Querhea I dont think you want to be compared to Quincy Jones in anyway. Quincy IS A SELLOUT straight up.

November 25, 2010 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
  11. Querhea

Oh yeah i forgot Quincy and i are usually called Q. i can't believe i have something in common with a celebrity. eeeeeeeeeppppppppp!!!!!!!!

November 25, 2010 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  12. Querhea

Why does Kanye sort of hate Taylor Swift so much?

November 25, 2010 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
  13. Avon Barksdale

IN DAVE CHAPPELLE VOICE: I'M SERIOUS. I REALLY WANNA P** ON YOU. LOL!!! I'M IN A ZONE TONIGHT YA'LL!! FROM ALL OS TO ALL OF YOU! HAPPY HOLIDAY'S HATERS. THERE IS NO US WITHOUT YOU! HI QUINCY JONES, GEORGE BUSH NBC AND MATT LAUER! BE BREEZY!

November 24, 2010 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Avon Barksdale

THIS IS THE EXCLUSIVE DAVE CHAPPELLE 'P*** ON YOU' REMIX. I'M SERIOUS! BIG E DROP THAT BEAT! – I SEE YOU ALL ON YO PHONE. TYPIN EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG. THINKIN THAT KANYE CARE. BUT KANYE AINT EVEN HOME! YA'LL AINT GOT NOTHIN TO DO. THANKIN EVERYTHANG ABOT YOU. YA'LL NEED TO CLOSE THOSE EAR'S. AND DO WHAT HATER'S DO! SO GIVE ME THAT TU, TU! GIVE ME SOME OF THAT PE PE. SO GIVE ME A TU, TU! GIVE YOU SOME OF THAT SKEET, SKEET! – THIS IS THE REMIX EDITION. HOT & FRESH OUT THE KITCHEN. IT'S THE HATER ANTHEM. BABY I'M ABOUT TO HAVE ME SOME FUN!! LOL! CLASSIC! Written and produced by Avon Barksdale – November 24th 2010.

November 24, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Avon Barksdale

THE UNITED HATERS OF AMERICA! UHA! UHA! UHA! I LOVE YOU HATER'S SO MUCH! DRIP, DRIP, DRIP! LOL!

November 24, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Just surfing the net

sit down someplace and shut up!!

November 24, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  17. portalpunk

portalpunk cant say anything good about kanye, so he wont say anything at all

November 24, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Tammy

ATLANTA< I was real close to being on his album! But thanks to Kanye anyways! He's a great artist. My new CD drops 12/17/10 Downside of Me..hope you like it!
    downstammy@ymail.com and Tammy Downs on Facebook

November 24, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  19. celebs911

Kanye is a great artist and performer with some core issues from his childhood:) he just can't help it and all could be fixed with healing and energy work. we've made our prediction on Kanye with a special message from his mom.
    today: http://babycelebs411.com/2010/11/24/john-travolta-and-wife-kelly-preston-welcome-son-benjamin/. our latest celebs predictions and Kanyes' as well, on our celebs911 page.

November 24, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  20. vanity

kanye can not admit that he was wrong! he was totally wrong. everything could have been avoided if he kept his big mouth shut from the beginning. now he's blaming people for taking the bush comment wrong and he blames taylor for not coming to his defense and just riding it out! oh boo hoo kanye... go home!

November 24, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Avon Barksdale

DRIP, DRIP, DRIP! LOL!! Yo, on the real I want 2 thank the little pudgy white dudes that hate Ye! You give me so much material to work with! THANKS CNN!

November 24, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Avon Barksdale

Hater's gonna hate. Lovers gonna Love. I dont even want none of the above. I want to p*** on you! WONT YOU BRAID MY HAIR! LOL!

November 24, 2010 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  23. MadCityBabe

...had to scroll up to look at his picture again................yup, sure enough........................vomit!

November 24, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  24. MadCityBabe

wow WHAT A TOOL!. This dick is so self-involved.......................he can't even put to coherent sentences together! Why can't he simply just shut up about this old news. The only one keeping it alive is poor little baby Kanye and, then of course, us because we feel the need to comment..........and it's so weird that I do.......Happy T Day

November 24, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Avon Barksdale

QUICK PREDICTION: BY THE END OF TODAY THEIR WILL BE OVER 600 POSTS ON THIS ARTICLE! It's funny, I usually cant stand the people that hate on Kanye, Lil Wayne, T.I. and every other rapper.(except Eminem. Yall luv him.hmm I wonder why) but today I've seen the light! NOW, I LOVE THE HATERS!

November 24, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Avon Barksdale

CAN YOU DIG IT!

November 24, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Avon Barksdale

CNN, ya'll knew I was gone have to say something. In the words of Cyrus from The Warriors "CAN YOU COUNT SUCKAS!!" 600,000 record's sold and counting!! And the 1st week aint even over yet. Kanye is the Jack Johnson of our generation. I have one wish today. HATERS, PLEASE CONTINUE TO HATE! With each comment u post all your doing is makin dough for Ye. I WISH I HAD HALF THE HATERS YE GOT. I WOULD BE A MILLIONARE. Hi Quincy Jones and Matt Lauer!

November 24, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  28. MATTRVA

Don't worry Kanye, I very much still don't like you.

November 24, 2010 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  29. SHOCK EXCHANGE

Hold your comments on "song of the year" until you hear this guy -–> http://clicky.me/MadRapper

November 24, 2010 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Ron31

I agree with with President Obama....Kanye's a Jack Ass

November 24, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  31. sonylegend

Kanye West and George Bush are both part of the same secret society... the illuminati
    This is just one big stage play for the general masses..... behind closed doors they are best of friends.

November 24, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Chris

TAYLOR IMA LET YOU FINISH, BUT KANYE HAD ONE OF THE BEST ALBUMS OF ALL TIME, OF ALL TIME

November 24, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  33. cheefsfury

KANYE IMA LET YOU FINISH BUT FIRST I JUST GOTTA SAY THAT MATT LAUER HAD THE BEST INTERVIEW

November 24, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |