If we could, we'd marry 'Glee'
November 24th, 2010

If we could, we'd marry 'Glee'

To paraphrase my friend Kat, Tuesday night’s episode of “Glee” was a big punch to the heart.

Boy did I blubber all over the place with the sweetness that was the “Glee” wedding. I didn’t even care that the whole choreographed-dance-down-the-aisle thing has been done to death. The whole event was so heartwarming and charming that I felt swept away.

Well, almost - I was super scared that Kurt was going to get shot by the end of the episode. The tension with the bullying storyline just kept building and building and I was steeling myself for a major tragedy.

And while I haven't been thrilled with all the attention Kurt’s character has received this year (it’s starting to feel a bit like “The Kurt Show”), this storyline is compelling, timely and has been incredibly well done. When Kurt described his fear I felt it, like a sharp punch to the gut. That kid was terrified.

And I was so proud of Finn (I guffawed when Santana called him “Frankenteen”) for his heartfelt tribute to Kurt. Such a feel good moment for all of us Gleeks as we watched the love between Carol, Burt, Kurt and Finn as the rest of the gang helped celebrate their new family. Cue more crying by me. Honestly, this show wore me out!

I even worked up some sympathy for Sue thanks to the wonder that was her mom, played by the amazing Carol Burnett. Sue’s mother is a Nazi hunter? Well of course she is, and no one does comedy better than Burnett. Fingers crossed that they bring her back soon and often.

Watching Burnett and Jane Lynch as Sue perform “Ohio” reminded me of how well this show marries plot with music (likewise the two Bruno Mars hits) in a way that just pulls you in and makes you want to cheer. I thought it was sheer brilliance having the dual storyline of Carol and Burt’s wedding and Sue marrying herself.

Getting a glimpse into the mother-daughter dynamic just explains so much about Sue. Only Lynch could pull off being both insulting (calling him “Lady”) and nurturing (offering to be an “extra set of eyes” to guard against the bully) to Kurt and make it all so clever, fun and delicious.

Now that Kurt is heading to another school I can’t wait to see what develops. I’m also looking forward to more singing/acting by “Glee” newbie Darren Criss, as I heart him so!

Post by:
Filed under: Glee • television • TV recaps

1. El Jefe

I think you still can in New Hampshire, or one of those very small, maple syrup making states...

November 29, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  2. karla

Jane is good in anything. She has the nothingness personality that makes her appealing.

November 25, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  3. Sarah

I have already divorced Glee.

Boring!

November 25, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  4. Granto

Seriously. How absolutely horrible. Is this Carol Burnett...it looked like they exhumed a coffin and put lipstick to it. IT IS TIME TO GO CAROL.

November 25, 2010 at 5:20 am | Report abuse |
  5. Querhea

What is Glee all about anyway? i have heard of it but still. please someone answer my question.

November 25, 2010 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
  6. Holly Golightly

I know I'm in the minority, but I didn't like the show that much. It was ok. Too much going on–and I didn't like the songs. Also, I don't think Finn would sleep w/Santana, especially the first time. The wedding was cheesy.

November 24, 2010 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. portalpunk

portalpunk would like to meet michele and thinks shes hot

November 24, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. sasha

MrsFizzy, he did stand up for himself and it got him,well it got him kissed but it got him nowhere as far as the bullying was concerned. As one of the millions of victims of bullying I can say that confronting a bully (most peopel would never do) and then going to the school admin (even if their hands were tied) is a lot stronger then many people can say. Yes Sue's wedding was a bit on the odd side.

November 24, 2010 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

Yeah that's true... he did make one brave stand, and understandable he would be freaked out about it ...I guess I don't want him to be the victim so I'm hoping this will be turned around in a satisfying way. And ...he didn't go for help himself, it was only because Mr. Shue and then his Dad saw it .

And also ...don't mess with Biest!!

November 24, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  9. MrsFizzy

What Doug B said. There was maybe a little too much going on. The Sue marrying herself, while a logical conclusion was a little distracting / too odd. And as someone else said (where's that comment??) I half expected the bully was going to come back & crash the wedding in a horrible/violent? way. Colfer's acting is great but I'd like to see him be a bit stronger rather than just crying and running away. At the same time maybe the bully will inadvertently get outed some other way and turn out to be human afterall instead of pure evil. The current treatment of it is a little too disturbing for the rest of the show – not that they shouldn't deal with anti-gay bullying but the fact this is hidden s*xual harassment that Kurt can't talk about because he wouldn't out someone else (and is scared of him)...it just doesn't gel with the all-singing-all-dancing side too well! Of course, he's not going to be able to run away from it forever! I'm a little unsure about the direction they're taking that story line.

November 24, 2010 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. iWoman

I loved last night episode. This bullying plot is going to be a thread throughout the entire season, probably, but I disagree that it's the Kurt Show. Other characters have had their story line – even in last night's episode (Sam and Quinn, Sue, Finn trying to be a leader, the hints that Finn losing his virginity to Santana is going to come out soon, etc.). They're just not as controversial as Kurt's story – plus Chris Colfer is so talented – so of course it's going to get more attention.

November 24, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. DougB

Sorry to be a contrarian,but I felt the episode was a bit lopsided. I couldn't get into the Sue marrying herself story. Sue marrying herself was a jump the shark moment for me. And why was Carol Burnett a Nazi Hunter? I guess I get a bit nervous when anything related to Nazis is treated lightly–call me hyper-sensitive. I did love the wedding scene–yeah it got boardline mushy, but I still liked it. The Kurt story is really going dark. When the bully took that doll, that was creepy. What is going to happen to the bully, it looks like he's in a downward spiral, judging from what his father said. I do like how they illustrated the legal predicament that principals are in regarding bullying. Chris Cofler's acting in this episode was great–I could truly relate to his character's situation–at least until he transfered to the other school (I didn't have that option). Anyway, this development looks like it will open all sorts of possibilities.

November 24, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Glee Fan

During Finn's toast at the wedding he joked that his and Kurt's "combined name" would be Furt. But they missed a better opportunity. It should have been Kinn, as in kin, kinship, family. I thought that would have been clever. (Maybe just me...)

Loved how Sue's character came across. She'll try and destroy the Glee club, but when it comes to protecting the kids nothing will stop her. Her character shows a nice tender-side in protecting the weak. Her sister on the show, the girl she has as her cheerleading assistent and now Kurt. Wonderfully done.

Only improvement I would have liked is maybe an extra song somewhere in the first 20 minutes. A minor point, but I love hearing and watching them all sing.

November 24, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Faiiithhh

Well, Kinn is their official ship name. They chose for Finn to call it 'Furt' because it's a sillier name.

December 3, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. sasha

Loved the ep. Kurt broke my heart at the end though.

November 24, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  14. B=Dog

This show sucks.

November 24, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Posh-Kenneth

This episode was definitely a return to form. It felt like I was watching the first season when it was all shiny and new. I missed that feeling. It was definitely a great episode, lots of push and pull emotionally. It was nice to see Sue show something other than what she's accustomed to... a lot of character development in this episode, Sue helping Kurt, Finn becoming more aware and manning up, and Kurt's fear of Kerofsky felt honest. I knew kids that felt like that in high school, I felt he echoed their voices perfectly.

A very well done episode.

November 24, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |