November 24th, 2010

Cookie Monster auditions to be 'SNL' host

Move over, Betty White – another TV legend could be hosting "Saturday Night Live" thanks to Facebook: Cookie Monster.

"Me know many of you think of me as cookie-eating fanatic bordering on glutton. Actually me prefer the term 'cookie enthusiast.' But there more to me than that," the "Sesame Street" star says in a video on the "Cookie Monster Should Host Saturday Night Live" Facebook page. "And me want to show the world. So, me think that it time to branch out beyond me cookie-eating career. Me ready for next logical step: hosting Saturday Night Live."

The furry blue creature then goes on to screen his audition video for the show.

In it, the googly-eyed great is seen performing an opening monologue; starring in a "MacGruber" parody called "Macarooner"; helming "Fake News," his version of "Weekend Update"; introducing musical guest Cookie Gaga, who sings "Cookie Face" while wearing a cookie dress; and signing off by thanking Betty Crocker, Sarah Lee, Little Debbie and "SNL" creator Lorne Michaels.

Cookie Monster is urging fans to join his Facebook group and help his audition video go viral in an attempt to land the "SNL" spot. As of press time, his Facebook page had 36,278 "Likes." White, whose "SNL" campaign was created by a fan, landed her gig earlier this year after nearly half a million Facebook users pushed to have her host the show.

1. Vouchers..what is s-x and investment banking deal? is due diligence involved....BOLOGNA FROM THE HAPPILY S-XED COUPLES...ALL MANIPULATION FOR CONTROL AND STILL NO S-X

June 21, 2013 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jacquelyn

You're so awesome! I do not suppose I've truly read something like this before. So good to find somebody with genuine thoughts on this subject matter. Really.. thank you for starting this up. This site is something that is required on the internet, someone with a bit of originality!

June 21, 2013 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
  3. Carol Spinney

I would rather see Grover host. He's much more articulate, and has been a part of the program for nearly as long!

December 1, 2010 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  4. The MUSIC and DISNEY Girl

I LOVE THE MUPPETS AND SESAME STREET!!I LOVE THE FURRY DOG IN THE MUPPETS AND I LOVE COOKIE MONSTER IN SESAME STREET!!NOW IF YOU AGREE THAT THEY(WILL PROBLABLY)WOULD LOVE COOKIE MONSTER HOST SNL,GIMMIE A OH YEA!THE #1 MUPPET MOVIE IS....THE MUPPETS TAKE MANHATTAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND THE #1 SESAME STREET MOVIE IS THE 1 WHEN THEY HAVE THT BIG STORM AND THEY HELP CLEAN UP THE HOMES.I 4GOT WHT IT WAS CALLED.SESAME STREET used to be my childhood favorite.(my fav.show was Dora when I was a baby.)

November 29, 2010 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  5. The MUSIC and DISNEY Girl

I agree with i rock! Rofl!

November 29, 2010 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  6. The MUSIC and DISNEY Girl

I wanna see The Muppets (even the 2 old guys and THE band) and Sesame Street on this show called SNL.I wanna see how they would host the show. I bet they would do so gr8,I would love it! The Muppets are the bomb! I LOVE their movie "The Muppets Take Manhattan".I LOVE The Muppets!!!!Especially KERMIE,PIGGY,GONZO,AND THE FURRY DOG!!!!(my fav. is the furry dog!)

November 29, 2010 at 1:37 am | Report abuse |
  7. edna

:^) SNL AND MONSTER. I TOO SAY LET IT, SNOW. EDNA

November 26, 2010 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  8. edna

Let it, Snow!! Snl!!.

November 26, 2010 at 6:01 am | Report abuse |
  9. i rock

SNL has run its shelf life. .time to put some fun back into it let cookie monster host and have ron31 as a guest crybaby

November 25, 2010 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. dsn63

The cookie monster?Gimme a Hell Yeah!! When is that nice "child catcher" from chitty chitty bang bang going to visit the ol' street and take care of ernie and elmo????

November 25, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Shredzilla

Good Dude, Backed Hard.

November 25, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  12. billy b dick

Cookie monster in a digital short with samberg and timberlake....me would watch

November 25, 2010 at 10:21 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jessica

I think why not give it a shot.. like wat the hell if he can host a tv for kids for many years then how cant he not do this on?? this is probbly a once in a lifetime shot so ill give him pride nd say U CAN DO IT COOKIE MONSTER!!!!

November 25, 2010 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  14. luvmusic

Check out this music, soooo gooood!!! all these rappers are fake or on drugs but this dude has so much skill, definitely a throw back reverbnation.com/tdatrufe facebook.com/pages/T-Da-TruFE/270255225211

November 25, 2010 at 4:11 am | Report abuse |
  15. sarah

does anybody realize that they're confusing the Muppets with the gang from Sesame Street? Just sayin'...

November 25, 2010 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  16. Querhea

I used to love Cookie Monster on sesame street but it would be weird if they had him host SNL.

November 25, 2010 at 3:02 am | Report abuse |
  17. jfairweather

It has been a long time since puppets played a significant role in SNL. Most people these days are not aware that the muppets were a regular part of SNL during its first year.

November 24, 2010 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Paula

I think that with some imagination snl could possibly pull this off but my opinion is that Oscar thr grouch & Cookie monster host together as to offset eachother & all the muppets could do a bit as well. I dare you SNl!

November 24, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Report abuse |
  19. lil miz cookie fan

This would be funny. i grew up watchin cookie monster and it has been my nickname so i say LET COOKIE MONSTER HOST AND SHOWEM HOW ITS DONE. all my loove for ya cookie monster

November 24, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  20. kshohman

Cookie monster only want to do the show to see Katy Perrys Elmos...lol...and they were very nice

November 24, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  21. doodle

Only if oscar takes it in the can

November 24, 2010 at 9:15 pm | Report abuse |
  22. k!!!

mb a little weird they shud hav kermit and mspiggy

November 24, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Robbyn

My kids & grandkids grew up with Sesame Street. I think Cookie Monster would be great as guest host of SNL. Iagree SNL is not as good since the days of John Belushi Chris Farley Dan Akroyed etc what happened to the show after they left?

November 24, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  24. robert

Muppet band should play snl kermit an ms piggy host and the chef should be guest never a big fan of cookie monster

November 24, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  25. portalpunk

portalpunk thinks the cookie moster is the king of all

November 24, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  26. BigE

Sarah Lee? Nice proofing – again... :(

November 24, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Yup

SNL went downhill the minute they cast the kid from mighty ducks and goodburger

November 24, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Peter

Not sure if I am ready for a piece of cloth to host the show. Plus, how will this thing walk down the stairs and make his entrance?

November 24, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  29. 53Champ

WHO THE H E LL IS COOKIE MONSTER!?!?!?!??

November 24, 2010 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  30. EricLr

I would say that Seasme Street's corny humor would never work on SNL. But considering how bad SNL has been for several years now, I think it would actually be an improvement. Too bad the SNL writers can't even write well enough to take notes. They might learn something.

November 24, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  31. tristan

i think it would be commical. cookie monster would probably give a good time. :)

November 24, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Jim Jones

Article error:
    Cookie Monster introduces the musical act as "Monster Gaga", not "Cookie Gaga" as written in the article.

CNN can't even get the soft news accurate.

November 24, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  33. edward

Why not have kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy co host and have the Muppet Band perform as the musical guest as Heather suggested.

November 24, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Heather

It would be very FUNNY! I also like the idea of having the Muppet Band as the musical guests. It would be a great tribute to do it near Jim Hensons birthday.

November 24, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Sam....

I think its a good idea! My 1 & 2 yr old love Cookie Monster! Why not give it a shot.....for the kids :)

November 24, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Arc

I think it would be funny for snl standards. That show hasn't been funny since Chris Farley. You would think snl would be begging people to host anyway these days why not let someone who actually wants to host get a shot.

November 24, 2010 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Karen

I think the idea is great! Many of us grew up watching Sesame Street. It's a shame that other mindless kids shows get more press and airtime! Nomnom... I love count Dracula too

November 24, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  38. heather andrews

I love cookie monster, and if he wants to host SNL, i say let him give it a try!

November 24, 2010 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  39. John Nalley

The Muppets were on very early episodes of SNL. It would be great to see all of them and even the Sesame Street gang host. The Muppet band could be the musical guests. I just wonder how topical and relevant the sketches would be.

November 24, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • ClassicalJack

Yeah, I remember the Muppets on the early days of SNL. They sucked. And I read that the SNL writers hated doing scripts for "those dopey Muppets". Why would SNL want them back, now that Jim's gone and they suck even worse?

November 24, 2010 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  40. roseofsharon

I would definitely watch this. I knew these muppets had a sick sense of humor underneath! LOVE IT! Would love to see Elmo do this as well.

November 24, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  41. shaqfuage

REALLY?

November 24, 2010 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Ron31

SNL would be funny if Cookie Monster was the host..Yeah right it will be dumb and stupid.The only thing that would make that funny is if SNL actually had comedians on there. The cast members are not funny and making a puppet the host will not make up for their lack of talent.

November 24, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Johnny Carson

Why not?

November 24, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • kvndv1

Why not indeed...I have fond memories of The Muppets taking over The Tonight Show. It would be a blast!

November 25, 2010 at 10:29 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Ron31

SNL

November 24, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Ron31

Great, A puppet wants to host "SNL". What the Hell....This is just dumb

November 24, 2010 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Toni

Oh, don't be such a sour puss. It would probably be a funny show.

Not like SNL has a lot of those these days...

November 24, 2010 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • EpicMickey

Dumb, pathetic, desperate, lots of descriptions for this viral campaign, take your pick. My favorite description is "lame".

November 24, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • cpc65

Hey, I'm 44 years old and he's real enough to me. Just as real as Kermit and Grover and even Keanu Reeves. I think it would be awesome if the Big C M hosted SNL!

November 24, 2010 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Que

FUN<FUN<FUN Ya gotta laugh

November 24, 2010 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  47. Land Shark

Land Shark.

November 24, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  48. cheefsfury

IT WOULD BE REAL FUNNY IF HE WAS ON THEIR AND ATE ALEC BALDWINS SCHWEATY BALLS NOM NOM NOM

November 24, 2010 at 10:27 am | Report abuse |
    • chaosx

OK, that would be funny...good idea!

November 24, 2010 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Ngek

Yay I love cookie monster- esp his song C is for Cookie! Surely I would vote for this guy to win! Now we all know that Sesame Street is for kids only.

November 24, 2010 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • GUEST

ON THEIR?

November 24, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lynchster

Ha! That would be awesome. I could also see a "Trueblood" parody, where CM utters the phrase "Cookie(Sookie), you're mine!" Obviously, SNL would have to invite "The Count" for a walk-on (played by Alec Baldwin?).

November 24, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ed

ROFL!

November 24, 2010 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • fjjfucbj

If he is going to eat alecs schweaty balls why wouldn't he sample betty whites dusty muffin?

November 25, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |