Quincy Jones unleashes on Kanye, new MJ album
November 23rd, 2010

Quincy Jones unleashes on Kanye, new MJ album

Having amassed 27 Grammy awards during his career, it’s no wonder Quincy Jones has plenty of opinions about the current state of music.

In an interview with Us Weekly to chat about Jones’s tribute album, “Q: Soul Bossa Nostra,” the 77-year-old music wunderkind took the time to touch on a few of the biggest names and stories in entertainment.

Having been the man behind the boards on Michael Jackson’s “Thriller,” Jones was first asked about his thoughts on the new, posthumous album set for a December 14 release.

“No way it should be coming out,” Jones said of the project titled, “Michael.” “It should have all stayed in the vault…It seems like everybody is trying to put everything out that they can with him. I don’t understand it. It’s all to make money. He wouldn’t have wanted it to come out this way.”

Jones also spoke about another super producer (and frequent MJ sampler), Kanye West, whose latest disc, “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy,” is a critical – and sure to be commercial – darling. But does Q think he and Mr. West should be mentioned in the same breath?

“Did he write for a symphony orchestra? Does he write for a jazz orchestra? Come on, man. He’s just a rapper,” Jones said. “There’s no comparison. I’m not putting him down or making a judgment or anything, but we come from two different sides of the planet…A producer has to have some sort of skills that enable him to be a producer. It’s totally different to know what to do with 16 woodwinds you know from piccolos down to bass clarinet. It’s a whole different mindset. No comparison. None.”

Jones did have praise for some of the industry’s current and rising stars. Aside from noting that Akon, Usher and Ludacris possess the “spark” that Jackson had, Jones admitted he is big on Lady Gaga.

“She’s great,” he said, praising everyone’s favorite meat-covered pop goddess. “Gaga is like Madonna Jr. A lot of people follow Madonna.”

“Q: Soul Bossa Nostra,” which features the likes of Amy Winehouse, Mary J. Blige and T-Pain covering Jones's classics, is currently available in stores.

Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. Avon Barksdale

Number of Hater's in the world: MILLION'S
    Having the #1 ALBUM IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD: PRICELESS!!
    By the way, to the little 17 thru 20 something white guy's out there here's a little bit of advice from the black people of America. the "fishsticks" joke wasnt funny when it first came out and it's not funny now. Knowbody is laughing except you.

November 30, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Avon Barksdale

Yes "Rod" as far as music goes HIP-HOP DOES RULE THE WORLD! You know that LATIN AMERICA loves HIP-HOP! There is a reason why BILLIONAIRE'S in other countries are paying rapper's like Jay-Z MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF DOLLARS to perform just once for their little spoiled son or daughter's birthday parties. Also, for the people who half read my comments you will notice I never said Kanye is better than Quincy Jones. Let me say that one more time cause I think ya'll want me to be the bad guy. I NEVER SAID KANYE WEST IS BETTER THAN QUINCY JONES!!!! I did say that QUINCY JONES IS A HYPOCRITE and THE MUSICIAN'S OF TODAY WANT R-E-S-P-E-C-T! I spoke about THE LACK OF RESPECT HIP-HOP ARTIST RECEIVE AND THAT IS ALL. But since Quincy made Thriller anybody who says anything about him becomes an ENEMY OF THE STATE. I dont care. Ya'll LOVE TO HATE ME AND HATE TO LOVE ME BUT I'M STILL THE RAWEST DUDE IN THE WORLD!!!!! Hi Quincy!

November 30, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dana

Although Quincy Jones is nothing less than a musical LEGEND, let's not downplay Kanye. Right now what he is doing for hip-hop musically, nobody else in the game is doing. Hard pill to swallow, but it is what it is. You can't compare the two, but you can't call Kanye talentless AT ALL. Not by a long shot.

November 30, 2010 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. say wha!

those names should NOT be mentioned together. quincy jones is one of a kind ALL TIME LEDGEND. im 27 and i love kanye. but even i know the diffrence! quincy jones is older and from a different time. i don think he ment it in any offensive way and he dosent really undertand this generation except from his perspective, which is old. so give the genius a BREAK!!!! he has contributed to some of the all time best music ever made from an era none of us will be able to concieve. respect that man who is still in the game . i love you quincy jones!!!! and kanye west!!!!

November 26, 2010 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  5. shell517nj

If I were Quincy, I would not have given this arguement the time of day. Kanye and Quincy roll in 2 different CLASSES.

November 25, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. real talk

first off they did not post the entire interview here. someone else compared Kanye West to Quincy Jones and they ASKED him his opinion on that comparison and this was his response. He didn't just volunteer this response. I love Kanye West but Quincy Jones has every right to say what he said and he is correct. Quincy Jones has years and years in this industry. Kanye's work is not YET comparable to Quincy Jones body of work and I think he would even agree to that. Kanye is a genius in his own right but he is just scratching the surface of his genius. If a comparison like that is gonna be made then let's have the same discussion in 10 to 15 years maybe more when you can make a more fair comparison. The comparison in my opinion was an insult to Mr. Jones.

November 25, 2010 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
  7. BlahBlahBlah

Kanye loves fish sticks

November 24, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Buck D

I am not a big fan of Kanye as a person. I don't like winy ass dudes, but I do love his work. He drops hits and the short film he did was amazing, but I do feel what Q is saying. Its allot different to sit down and write for an orchestra than to sit at a computer and use pro tools or whatever... And as far as Q being worried about or having second thoughts about his comments because Kanye is #1 this week... Stop it. The dude produced thriller... That will be on ipods for decades to come. What track from Kanye's will be?

November 24, 2010 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  9. Avon Barksdale

Ten word's or less? THE MUSICIAN'S OF TODAY WANT R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

November 24, 2010 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
    • real talk

Come on man u seem to know music and know your music history. We both can agree that Kanye is a genius but you cannot compare his body of work yet to Quincy Jones work. I do agree that he has what it takes to possibly surpass him but he is not there yet. This discussion should be going on years down the line

November 25, 2010 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. Avon Barksdale

It's Amaying, i'm the reason everybody fired up this morning. GOOD MORNING HATER'S.

November 24, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  11. Me

WOW. You need to find more constructive things to do with your time, "Avon"."Quit hatin" on everyone here that does not share the same opinion as yourself.

November 24, 2010 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  12. Avon Barksdale

What up world, ya'll already know who it is. Dont u hate when u got a taste for Strawberry Waffles and all u got is Bluberry & Buttermilk Waffles left? Hold on fam...A Tash, can u tell Big E to pick up some Strawberry Waffles from the store? Cool, aight. Aw yeah, tell E to get some Ocean Spray cranberry juice. Thx Tash! I'm back ya'll.

November 24, 2010 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  13. DonJ

Jones on West... THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Q, you are still the man, but you did forget to mention that Kanye West IS an ass.

November 24, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  14. Avon Barksdale

Ask Tina Turner who THE GREATEST PRODUCER OF ALL TIME is! Also, check out Kanye's performance on his VH1 Storytellers if u wanna see him using instruments combined with computers/technology.

November 24, 2010 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  15. Avon Barksdale

Thx again Treez. You cool peep's. One thing though: The greatest producer of all time is PHIL SPECTOR. The music that Phil and The Wrecking Crew did back in the day will NEVER be duplicated.

November 24, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  16. Carrie

Avon Barksdale, aka Kanye, go make some music and stop reading articles about yourself. It'll drive you crazy.

November 24, 2010 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  17. Fail!

Quincy haiting on Kanye but then having T-Pain on his album. That makes no sense.

November 24, 2010 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
    • shell517nj

@Fail I agree. I'm surprised Quincy even came out on Kanye this way. Kanye is a genuis in his own rite as well as quincy. anyway, he's to old for this. really!

November 24, 2010 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  18. Avon Barksdale

Thank you Treez! And by the way while ya'll checkin for spellin errors and tryin to crack on me u need to ACTUALLY READ what I said. Not once did I say Kanye was better than Q. There is a clip from back in the day of Jim Morrison saying what he thought music would sound like in the future. Jim said he think's a lot of music will be produced without instruments. He also said music will be made on computers. How did Jim know this? I have no idea. This was when Jim had the beard, gained weight and was smokin that Ashy Larry so he was probably out of his mind by the time he did this interview. THAT INTERVIEW IS CREEPY! Check it out on YouTube. It's under 'Jim Morrison predicts the future in interview'.

November 24, 2010 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  19. Treez

While I agree that Kanye is not Q, at the same time Q is not Kanye. In many respects Kanye is more relevant than Q will ever be. Kanye is part MJ and Q, a mix of entertainer and producer that required both MJ and Q to equal the same respective impact. While Q is probably the greatest producer ever, he could never be a true artist or entertainer (which Kanye is).

November 24, 2010 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  20. Avon Barksdale

What up ya'll. My boy Jay and Tasha over here tellin me that i'm trippin cause I wanna buy that John Lennon album that's on sale for $800,000. What? Hold on ya'll... Tasha it's on sale! Whatever man. You wasn't sayin that when I bought u them Louis V shades for 5 G's. Yeah, that's what I thought. You forgot about that! Tasha! This is the last album he signed right before he was killed. Yeah, the album is called 'Double Fantasy'. Yeah the album raw. Tasha u know I love John Lennon. Whatever Tasha. Tash, put Weezy on line 2.

November 24, 2010 at 7:02 am | Report abuse |
  21. Avon Barksdale

Hold on ya'll. What's up Tasha. What u mean you aint picking up the glass from the plate??? But what if I cut my hand??. Tasha come on now! Whatever Tasha! You was cryin @ the end of Mahogany just like me! Yeah u was. You'll pick it up if I buy u a 2011 Ferrari?? Whatever, hand me my check book. Aight, we cool now? Bet. THANK U TASHA! I'm back ya'll...Tasha put Jay on line 2 for me!

November 24, 2010 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  22. Avon Barksdale

And for all the brothers that's gone clown me for cryin its cool. The day you can cry openly in front of others is the day you become a man. I just made that up. I also cry when James Evans dies on GOOD TIMES. D**N, D**N, D**N! (smashing my plate on the ground-crying again) See, ya'll done made me start crying again!

November 24, 2010 at 6:18 am | Report abuse |
  23. Avon Barksdale

Sorry ya'll, my personal assistant Tasha just told me that Mahagony was actually on TVONE (like there's a difference-whatever Tasha!) not BET. I'M STILL CRYIN YA'LL! DO YOU KNOW...sniff. OK, i'm cool now ya'll.

November 24, 2010 at 6:01 am | Report abuse |
  24. Avon Barksdale

Sorry Billy Dee, you still COOLER THAN A FAN! God I cant stop crying! DO YOU KNOW...Shout out to my girl Diana Ross and her bootyful daughter daughter Traci Ross.

November 24, 2010 at 5:50 am | Report abuse |
  25. Avon Barksdale

sniff! Mahogany just went off on BET! Dont u alway's cry at the end when Diana and my boy Billy Dee get back together!(tears run down my eyes) DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOURE GOING TO? DO YOU LIKE TO SAY WHAT LIFE IS SHOWING YOU. WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO? DO YOU KNOW? I cant stop crying! Billy Dee was cooler than a fan back in the day.

November 24, 2010 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
  26. B Pai

STFU, Avon. All dude is sayin' is that there is no comparison between the music he makes, and the music Kanye makes. Which there isn't. Quincy's music is orchestrated with instruments, Kanye's with computers. It's a totally different side of the musical spectrum. So why don't you calm down and go rim Kanye.

November 24, 2010 at 4:42 am | Report abuse |
  27. Kal Varnsen

Kanye West looks like a reject from the Fat Albert gang with his hideously grotesque wired jaw. If only he had the people skills of Mush-Mouth. That ego-maniacal turd should go flush his head down the toilet. Finally a real talent like Q speaks out about this joke.

Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali) walks around like a retard nowadays. Faster than molasses and stings like a slug. Looks like Joe Frazier won all three of their fights.

November 24, 2010 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
    • OMG

I hate to say that I was laughing at the comment about Kanye's jaw and Cassius Clay, but I was literally under my desk laughing to the point of tears. Please God forgive me, but that was hilarious!!!

November 24, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Stringer Bell

Avon Barksdale would be nothing if not for me. All he does is hang outside Kanye's dressing room with a McDonald's sack saying "yo Kanye I got these cheeseburgers."

November 24, 2010 at 1:02 am | Report abuse |
  29. Avon Barksdale

And to "Herself" you are correct I DO HAVE A CRUSH! I HAVE A CRUSH ON...Sanaa Lathan, Rihanna and. Elle Duncan (she's on The Frank and Wanda Show in Atlanta) Sorry to disapoint u "Herself" but I LOVE WOMEN. Goodnight Jaylen, Jahlel and Jazmine. I LOVE YA'LL! To Trice and Jeff aka Jay-Free I see you!

November 24, 2010 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  30. Avon Barksdale

Part 2: SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE version 2.0 – In the foreword of the great book 'TUPAC' Mr Jones said "If I had left the world at 25, we would have lost a big-band trumpet player and aspiring composer-just a sliver of my eventual life potential." I think @ the age of 33 Kanye and many other artists are at that same point. JUST A SLIVER OF OUR TALENT HAS BEEN SHOWN. The Roots, Jamiroquai, STEVIE WONDER (My favorite!) Radiohead, Tupac, Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, Jay-Z, John Lennon, The Brand New Heavies, Nirvana, John Williams, Brian Wilson, Michael Mcdonald, Little Richard, Genesis, Elton John, Jimi Hendrix, A Tribe Called Quest and Billie Holliday and Lead Belly. Just a few of the musician's I love and listen to almost every day. They all at some point were only at that sliver of success like you. Most of them are legends or legends in the making. I think ive said the word respect more than 100 times today. That's all im asking for. The same respect and admiration given to the great musicians of the past should be given to the musicians of today. As Prince said @ the BET AWARDS "the future is in great hand's."

November 23, 2010 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • DonJ

...soooo, you said all of that to say what (by the way I stopped reading, too wordy)... you think Kanye is better the Tupac... is that what you're saying... can you tell us in 10 words or less?

November 24, 2010 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  31. Avon Barksdale

CNN, it looks like were going into overtime. First let me say thx to Quincy Jones daughters Kidada & the one who is on tv (forgot your name sorry). And 2 your assistants who responded (yeah I figured it out). 2nd this is a blog not an English class. People r typing quick and some are on i-phone's, etc. 3rd, I have 'Thriller' and 'Back On The Block' like every body else and many other albums u have done. I know u are a musical genius. I know u are LIVING LEGEND. But u have 2 realize that their are many young artists out who are legends also. When Ali said he (my favorite athlete ever!) was THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME people looked @ him like he was crazy. How can u say your greater than Jack Johnson, Joe Louis or Rocky Marciano? That was the thinking at the time. Now we all know he was right. Kanye West may not be on your level yet but i'm sure we will call him one of the greatest of his generation in the not to distant future. TO BE CONTINUED. Battery low.

November 23, 2010 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  32. snooks

Avon Barksdale IS Kanye West. His spelling & grammar on this blog resemble is ignorant Tweets

November 23, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Jwrtr68

The fact that someone... ANYONE!!! would be as simple as to think that what Kanye has done for the last six or seven years compares to Q's four-plus decades of musical genius is pathetic. These individuals like mr. "hi hater," are absurdly ignorant and have no sense of history, heritage, artistry or someone whose work makes them relevant well beyond seven toten years...And they're not going to learn either. But these are the upcoming leaders?? We're going to hellin a hand basket!

November 23, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Sean

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy: TRIUMPH!!

November 23, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  35. I do speak Ebonics.........

I do speak Ebonics and the translation is..........we having a toast for the douce bags such as your self! AZZhole! ebonicly speaking.

November 23, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  36. celebs911

Mr. Jones your opinion is relevant always and we agree that Kanye is a great artist. I think each artist has particularities and they bring something unique , within their way of artistic expression. On Kanye, he needs some balancing and we wrote some predictions for his future.

November 23, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  37. dbox

new track feat kanye prod by quincy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH4zZctQPb8 enjoy

November 23, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Lady J

I love Kanye! But putting him in a category with Mr. Jones is both ridiculous and ignorant. That's like comparing Miley Cyrus to Celine Dion.......but there is no need to defend Q.....his repetoire speaks for itself.....and that is no matter of opinion,...that is FACT!

November 23, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jenn J.

Couldn't agree with you more Lady J. And before someone says that I must be "Lady J" responding to this, no I am not.

What is most troubling is actually READING these comments. The content is debatable but the lack of correct grammar, punctuation and mechanics of the english language is deplorable. Good grief people! Go to school! Even an online course would do some of you VERY well.

November 23, 2010 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Dee

Quincy maybe could have been a little gentler, but he wasn't wrong! Nothing wrong with being a talented rapper, but Quincy's experience is much deeper and broader, musically, than Kanye's.

November 23, 2010 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  40. i don't speak ebonics

does cnn have an ebonics translator? so I know what this poster are saying.

November 23, 2010 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tina

If you must comment that you cannot understand ebonics, then you might at least want to speak English properly.

November 23, 2010 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Treez

No Ebonics translator, but I can sign you up for an English class. If you're referring to a person in the singular you should use "is" not "are" Ace.

November 24, 2010 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
    • DonJ

...not to mention capitalization.

November 24, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  41. Avon Barksdale

Go knit a sweater Q!!

November 23, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Bradley

Avon - relax. Q has ben around a long time,he's getting old...Kanye is talented.Mr.Jones was just giving his opinion,be respectful

November 23, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Avon Barksdale

"Bradley" I AINT GONE RELAX!! Kanye aint on CNN's blog so im gone talk for him! When you from Chicago u look out for your people. CHI-TOWN STAND UP!

November 23, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Samuel

I like Q but to make statement as he did about Kanye (whom I don't particularly like) and then say he is not putting him down causes me to lose all respect for his intelligence. Both are artists. If he wasn't putting him down then why didn't he say of himself, "I'm just a composer". For his thoughtless comment, he is more of an idiot.

November 23, 2010 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Avon Barksdale

Thank you Samuel (even though you dont like Kanye!) Listen to his 1st album "The College Dropout" I think you'll enjoy it. From there I'm sure you will buy the rest of his albums! As for Quincy "Old Skool Hater" Jones – NOBODY CARES WHAT YOU THINK!!

November 23, 2010 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Me

You are ridiculous. How is this hypocracy versus an opinion? I think you are a little confused. Thanks for voicing yours. Over 3 separate posts. Go listen to your Kanye album.

November 23, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Avon Barksdale

"Me", you must be psychic!! I'm listening to my Kanye Album right now!! Wouldnt it be weird if your actually Quincy Jones?? I know your not but that would be funny. Anyway, "Me" for the GAZILLIONTH TIME QUIT HATING!!!

November 23, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  45. mjwilstein

These videos of kids reenacting Kanye's tweets are hilarious and adorable:

November 23, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Avon Barksdale

"mjwilstein" Kanye would never get a persion rug. Once again STOP THE HATING!!That is so 80's. Them glasses the black kid had on was raw though! Oh yeah, I forgot! HI MOM!!

November 23, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Avon Barksdale

Quincy Jones reaction to finding out Kanye's album is #1 worldwide: Quincy Jones: Yo. He what? Yeah right? In Asia to?? That cant be right!! D**n! It's not REAL MUSIC anyway.
    Hi Quincy! aka Old Skool Hater! See ya on Monday – November 29th 2010.

November 23, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Herself

Somebody has a man crush on Kanye!! It was cute after the first post. Now it's SBM stalker....or Kanye.

November 23, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • DonJ

@Herself... yeah, because the "real" (fake) TV gangster Avon Barksdale would not be riding on Kanye's testicles like that.

November 24, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  47. Avon Barksdale

Matt Lauer getting the word Kanye's album is #1 worldwide. Matt Lauer: Hello? Yes this is Matt. He what!!! Youre kidding? Are you sure? Wow! Can you see if we can book him for an interview and a performance next week? LOL!! Like I said: HI HATERS!!!

November 23, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Avon Barksdale

"Did he write for a symphony orchestra? Does he write for a jazz orchestra? Come on, man. He’s just a rapper,” Jones said. HE'S JUST A RAPPER?? This coming from a man who's daughter was allegedly engaged to Tupac before he died. YOU ARE A HYPOCRITE!!! KANYE WEST IS ONE OF THE GREATEST ARTIST'S OF THIS GENERATION! Quincy dont get mad because your music is no longer relevant. You are a legend so u should know that times change. HIP-HOP RULES THE WORLD. Someday Hip-Hop will not be as relevant. Each musical genre has had it's moment in the sun. This is HIP-HOP'S MOMENT. KANYE THE ALBUM IS RAW! KEEP DOIG YA THANG! You gone have the #1 ALBUM IN AMERICA next Monday!! I wonder what Mr. Matt Lauer will say about that? Bye all you hater's!

November 23, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marcela

I'm sorry but Quincy Jones can produce anything in the world. He's a skilled musician who plays multiple instruments. He's always done jazz music and that is always relevant.

November 23, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Yo yo, I'm a let you finish, but listen up, Quincy Jones is the greatest artist of all time and he deserves to be heard on this.

November 24, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rod

hip hop rules the world??? you kidding??? you must have a closed mind like so many people that live in the USA, I live in California and i do not have a close mind, i come from Latin America, and in Latin America and other parts of the world hip hop is not popular at all. There is a world out there besides the USA, you should learn about it, by the way, kanye is an idiot.......

November 29, 2010 at 5:53 am | Report abuse |
    • rod

hip hop rules THE WORLD??? you got to be dreaming, maybe your world, but not mine or anybody else, I know tons of countries that do not listen to hip hop/rap, whatever you wanna call it, wake up, hip hop may rule the black people's world, not the rest.................................

May 30, 2011 at 3:01 am | Report abuse |