Leo DiCaprio donates $1 million to Wildlife Fund
November 23rd, 2010

Leo DiCaprio donates $1 million to Wildlife Fund

Leonardo DiCaprio is putting his money where his tweet is.

After devoting much of his Twitter page to tiger conservation awareness, the actor has committed $1 million to the World Wildlife Fund and will attend a summit for the cause this week.

According to a WWF press release, the number of tigers across Asia dropped from 100,000 at the start of the last century to as few as 3,200.

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin will host DiCaprio and the heads of government from 13 tiger range countries at this week's summit in St. Petersburg, where they are expected to announce a Global Tiger Recovery Program with the goal of doubling the tiger population by 2022.

Besides tweeting about the big cats, WWF board member DiCaprio has toured their habitats in Nepal and Bhutan and helped raise $20 million through the Save Tigers Now campaign.

"Illegal poaching of tigers for their parts and massive habitat loss due to palm oil, timber, and paper production are driving this species to extinction,” says the 36-year-old actor.

“If we don’t take action now, one of the most iconic animals on our planet could be gone in just a few decades," he added. "By saving tigers, we can also protect some of our last remaining ancient forests and improve the lives of indigenous communities."

1. icon design

I am sorry, that has interfered... I here recently. But this theme is very close to me. Write in PM.

P.S. Please review our icons for Windows and windows12icons.

September 14, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Hi tech video

Magnificent publish, very informative. I'm wondering why the other specialists of this sector do not understand this. You should proceed your writing. I'm sure, you have a huge readers' base already!|What's Taking place i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I've discovered It absolutely useful and it has aided me out loads. I'm hoping to give a contribution & assist other customers like its aided me. Good job.

April 30, 2012 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jack Sparrow

Wonder if he realises the WWF support trophy hunting and seal culling...........

November 10, 2011 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
  4. Suckas...........

You guys are suckers....this lovefest for a guy who is wotking the system. this story will get him millions more on his next movies as his agent and publicist point to his polularity when they get him a 20MIL contract to do his next bomb. Then he turns around and has is accountant us this as a tax writeoff.

Not a bad return for the $ he probably has as loose change in his couch........

November 24, 2010 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  5. Current Instincts

When Putin calls you "a real man" you must be doing something right. Way to go Leo!

November 24, 2010 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  6. carolyn56

WWF kills wildlife so I cannot understand why he is donating to an organization that is pro-seal hunt and even trophy hunting. WWF is corruption and if he donated I highly doubt it will go into any "tiger conservation" , Leo has been duped!

November 24, 2010 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  7. Lisa

it's all good when someone helps out the people of Haiti and also wildlife. God Bless you Leo ..oh..and Happy Birthday too!

November 24, 2010 at 1:55 am | Report abuse |
  8. Lisa

November 24, 2010 at 1:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. misskitty

I like cereal!

November 23, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Junior

"Save the" tigers,whales,seals etc...but we as a people abort enough babbies to populate Canada....I don't get it!?

November 23, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mark

Please consider clicking on the link and donating at least $5 is all, every bit will help, this is very sad.

November 23, 2010 at 10:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Shelly

So happy he is doing this. Shame on those of you who think this is a waste. He is standing for something and helping out. It is his money so he can choose where to help out.

I would like to see more celebrities give back.

November 23, 2010 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Trevor

I looked long photo I took of mating lions- it was a rare opportunity in Tanzania, just my parents and our guide Hillary who had just been off of a 34 day excursion with Nat Geo. Even he was happy and proud that he could show us such a scene in his Country. I moment I will never forget – a top ten. Leo, thank you for helping. Whales are getting sunburns, Carly and Sarah are still not sure about global warming, and tonight a few Tigers breathe more gently. There is hope. namaste. -777

November 23, 2010 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. PTChildren

Wow, this guy should donate some money to orphanage. INSTEAD HE IS DONATING MONEY TO HELP TIGERS! I MEAN TIGERS!

November 23, 2010 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kudos

Dude is part of the solution, and aware.

November 23, 2010 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  16. peacemonger

the man is what used to be referred to as a "class act"

November 23, 2010 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Natureisright

whatever happend to urvival of the fittest, if the tigers cant cope and adapt, too bad. Now dont you come out and say we humans are above nature, we ae not, if a spacies (in this case tger) cant cope with a predator (in this case human poahers) too bad, nature always throws out the weaklings

November 23, 2010 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  18. SmokeyWaterz

Much admiration and respect for the guy!

November 23, 2010 at 8:20 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Leo DiCaprio

You are all welcome... except you haters! I am awesome :) See my movies!

November 23, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Leann

Could have donated to help humans instead of animals. What are tigers really going to do for the world??

November 23, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  21. robv

Famous, handsome, rich AND charitable. Leo you're making the rest of us look bad.

November 23, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  22. kellen

I just read some of the comments- why so negative? He doesn't need a PR stunt. So what if this is a small percentage of his income? When did you donate a million dollars to a nonprofit?

November 23, 2010 at 7:31 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Ann

My God, doesn't anyone know how to spell anymore?

November 23, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  24. kellen

Nice! Way to go...

November 23, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  25. TJ

Can we exchange the extinction of tigers for Sarah Palin?

November 23, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  26. gandoman

Leo is a true hero.
    Unlike Bill & Melinda Gates who save their souls by keeping African babies alive for a few extra years before they eventually die of either malnutrition, disease, AIDS or whatever. The Gates legacy is quite simply one of tremendous ego cultivating a fan base so they personally feel enriched as if they haven't been enRICHED enough.
    Humans are supposed to be the CARETAKERS of our world, NOT the EXTERMINATORS.
    If our planet has a soul, then allowing other species to die off through our ignorance, greedy, lack of conscience or morals is a crime against humanity, against God, against freedom, against learning & against nature.
    Since when are humans above the law?
    Personally, I would be happy to see the entire planet depopulated of overpaid primadona athletes, politicians, lawyers & child molesters. However, with a Supreme Court that is not capable of defending the rights of the poor, the innocent or the abused, at least we can help save the animals.
    Remember that there is proof that intelligent life exists in our universe. The proof is ......... they haven't visited us yet.

November 23, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Enzo

Amazing! Thanks Leo! It will be awesome when tigers are roaming around the city like stray cats.

November 23, 2010 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  28. denise

Handsome and kind, what a great guy!

November 23, 2010 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Michael

Leo needs to turn off "Whale Wars" and spend some time with humans in a soup kitchen.

November 23, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  30. SpaceAg

You people are hilarious. Animals are for eatin!

November 23, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  31. trolldeath+1

Haha the troll dies when the reply is funnier than the post. Good job troll killer 1-0.

November 23, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  32. cbdoo

is he single, that's my only question.

November 23, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Wade 'N' Georgia

It certainly must be nice to be able to just give that kind of money away. I wish he would just send a few thousand my way so I could get all these teeth out of my mouth that are literally killing me day by day. I can't afford to go to ANY dentist. And since I am in such severe pain ALL the time I can't even hold down a job. So what is a man to do? People are giving millions away,But for the wrong purposes, I know that saving animals is important as well,But im a human being and Im suffering extremely bad every day of my life because I can't afford decent dental care. I already know that if I don't get my teeth pulled I am going to die from the infection that is running rapidly through my system.

November 23, 2010 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kim

Wade, I don't know if you are near Augusta, GA., but they have a school of Denistry. You can get your teeth done there and it will cost you little or nothing. I wish you all the best. J

November 23, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • not_buying_it

Wade this is what you should do: 1. if you don't have a pair of pliers, borrow a set from someone and pull all your bad teeth. 2. go to a government funded hospital emergency room and have your infection cleared up. 3. GO GET A JOB! stop trying to get disability for bad teeth, stop whining because no one is taking care of you, and for goodness sake take some responsibility for yourself.
      What? too harsh? even a dumb animal will chew it's own leg off rather than die caught in a trap. if your teeth are really hurting you that bad...you don't need no stinkin' dentist...yank those puppies out yourself!

November 26, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  34. anonymous shark

Now if you nice people would just quit slaughtering us. Our fins have NO magical powers.

November 23, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  35. jon

I am very impressed with all the responses that were positive! seems a few feel we can survive without wild animals, but what can you do? stupid is as stupid does....

November 23, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  36. James C

Thanks Leo your a good man

November 23, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  37. LiberalNN

Good for him. Unlike most of the people whining like little girls on this site, he's actually doing something good.

November 23, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  38. finally doing some good

Way to go! Someone from Hollywood doing something worthwhile with their money! It doesn't surprise me that its Leo. He is a really good guy!

November 23, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Candie

I think it's great that he made this generous donation. For those who left hateful comments, if you don't agree with his generosity and don't like him that's your problem. Thumbs up Leo :)

November 23, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  40. mike gumban

american idiots' population is rising, let's have a cap on that.

November 23, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  41. BG

Almost extinct? So were buffalo at one time, now we have a zillion roaming everywhere. Just put some tigers in some confined areas and whamo, in 10 years there will be hundreds of thousands. If you need them, breed them.

November 23, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Angie

What's Russia doing, anybody watching Putin? Money will end up in his pocket.

November 23, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Elmer

I hope all you Hollywood lovers know that the WWF is a anti-hunting, anti-trapping organization that only seeks to destroy the world animal population by banning the very consevation methods that will SAVE these endangered species and provide a balance in nature that is not possible without hunting (culling the herd). So to Leonardo I say good job driving the world's species toward further loss and destuction!! What a blind, liberal jerk!!

November 23, 2010 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • wilson

Uh-oh, looks like someone is off their meds.

November 23, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will

Actually, Elmer, tigers do a better job of culling the herd than humans do. They don't trophy hunt. How do you think the environment stayed in balance beore the arrival of humans? There are three times the number of humans on earth now than there were when I was born. The population doubled over the last forty years. Do you think the planet can take another doubling when there is already not enough food and clean water to go around? We are our own worst enemy.

November 23, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Matt

in other news, the cougar population is sharply rising

November 23, 2010 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  45. The Truth

Maybe I'm just an ignorant white guy. But it looks like that amount of money could feed hundreds in developing countries. But Tigers are a good cause as well.

November 23, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  46. W

Tigers love pepper, they HATE cinnamon!!!!!!

November 23, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Cory

I realize this is a righteous cause.. and I really hate to be cynical.. but I just can't help but feel like this money could go somewhere where is it much more needed.. Haiti has a cholera outbreak, the gulf crisis if still trying to clear up, etc. I mean these are real people that will understand and appreciate the donation in real time and who need it so desperately.. I am sure the foundation will put it to great use, but our fellow man is struggling just alike

November 23, 2010 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • finally doing some good

But people are not on the list of animals close to extinction. Maybe these outbreaks in highly over populated countries is gods way of saying "survival of the fittest". These people are not being hunted, the animals are. Big difference.

November 23, 2010 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • wilson

You have it backwards. We want the Tiger population to INCREASE, and the human population to DECREASE. Humans are crowding everything out and over-consuming resources. It will be cause their eventual demise.

November 23, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Michelle

I hate those that get upset when someone does good or donates to the wildlife or animals in general. It's not always about the people , we can care about animals also and not be terrible people

November 23, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  49. MF

This is the kind of human being that we want our children to emulate! A conscious and conscientious person who, as privileged as he is, has not forgotten his fragility in the world as well as that of all the other creatures that live on earth! He has shown great leadership in taking such important issues seriously enough to take action, and I admire him for that! Love it Leonardo!

November 23, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Matrix

want to save tigers? allow people to own and farm them. People who own them will have a vested interest in keeping them alive and healthy and preventing poachers from taking them.

November 23, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Joan

Hmm its his miLlion and he donate it to whomever he pleases...when was the last time you donated something much less your time to a cause? Smh

November 23, 2010 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  52. urallidiots

Wow. Unemployment at 10%; City, State and Federal government in economic ruin; Treasury recklessly printing money; rampant homelessness; an unconscionably bad education system; people dying in defense of our country; and this moron gives money to save tigers in east Asia. Even worse, you idiots applaud him. God forbid he concern himself with the well-being of the country that made him so wealthy.

November 23, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Jimmy Rigsby

I for one would like to propose a comfortable cap on the Tiger population. It's nice to have Tigers and all, but I don't think anyone here is considering the implications of limitless Tiger procreation. Tigers everywhere. Can your kid outrun a Tiger?

November 23, 2010 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  54. wangdang

I can't believe people care that celebrities use their fame for causes like this. Guess what? He gave a million dollars, helped this cause by making it public, and scored points by coming off well in the media. Sounds like everybody wins- especially the cause. Are you against tiger conservation? Then who cares how or why it gets done. If you think its wrong to use celebrity to bring attention to causes, then stop consuming their product/image. And if you voice an opinion about it here, then you're doing exactly what they do by trying to bring people in line with your personal opinion without any credentials.

November 23, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Darth Vadik, CA

Right wing loves to slam celebrities down for their causes, except that most celebrities who have real causes put their money were their mouth is, Sean Pen, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie to name a few who have done tremendous work (unlike right wingers who want to nuke everyone, a noble cause for sure) for the Katrina hit area...

...anyways, thanks Leo

November 23, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  56. impressed

Good for Leo, he's helping to make the world a better place. What a generous thing to do.

November 23, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  57. CitizenJP

Great act of compassion on part of De Caprio. Destruction of the nature will end up in destruction of the mankind. Therefore, we all must do our part to protect nature.

November 23, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Evil

I think he just incepted that donation into all of our minds, wow this guy is good.

November 23, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Whatever

Wow......that's like me taking a quarter out of my pocket and putting in a donation jar. Are you kiddind me with this love fest.......A. He uses it as a tax right off, B. He will just make more money on his next movie when you suckers flock to support the "nice man", C. This is like spare change to him.

What a joke, and you suckers are buying into ta PR stunt.

November 23, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Darth Vadik, CA

When was the last time you gave change from your pocket to someone who needed it????
      Nahh, you probably yelled "GET A JOB" to them...
      That is what I thought, get lost creep.

November 23, 2010 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • smasheduprr

I hate to break it to you but if this is like you giving a quarter than mommy should probably raise your allowance. PS: you are the first person in the world to cynically trivialize all acts of goodwill as self-serving and futile :) no one has ever figured this out until your beautiful and insightful CNN comment.

November 23, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  60. gonegreen

I like pancakes

November 23, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  61. thefrumpeter

it's about time he gave back for all the ecological devistation caused by his forgetable movie "the beach"..

November 23, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Joe

I applaud Mr D. as well. Betcha he's worth a couple hundred mil. Lets say 1/150 is net worth. (He also gets a tax deductin worth about $500,000-FYI). I'm worth about 10 grand. If I send in $50 do I get my picture on CNN and a trip to see Putin?

November 23, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  63. scott

Hey look, he gave more than bono!

November 23, 2010 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |
  64. WendyLou

Very cool of him! He is looking better than ever too!

November 23, 2010 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  65. MLW

I am offering $1 million for a genuine tiger skin coat.

WHO CARES ABOUT LEO AND THE LIONS (I MEAN TIGERS)!!!!

November 23, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Dio

in the words of Ronnie James Dio: Ride the tiger, shiny diamond!

November 23, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  67. asdf

...and gets a tax break.

I'm telling ya, every movie, music entertainment star thats a do-gooder does it for tax exemption or evasion reasons. They use charities and supposedly do so much good in order to get tax breaks. And the charities are wealthy because of it.

November 23, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • THE BODDIE

Your'e so right asdf!! Can anybody say OPRAH WINFREY!! YOU GET A CAR! AND YOU GET A CAR! AND YOU GET A CAR! (Oprah whispers to herself: I'm writing all this s**t off!!)

November 23, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • derp

yeah but do you think the people who got a car care wh she gave it to them? No! I'd be happy to get a free car for any reason.

November 23, 2010 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken

Um, a tax credit doesn't mean you get all the money back. You get some of it back. So he's still being generous, because he doesn't have to do it at all. And he's on top of his game career-wise, so he doesn't need the publicity to stay popular. He publicized it to encourage others to give. So what did you contribute? Didn't think so...

November 23, 2010 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • wilson

If that were the case, he would give anonymously. Instead, he has become a member of WWF, takes time out to do interviews for the cause, and goes to the summit to help with finding a solution. He's NOT motivated by the tax break.

And believe if or not, there are actual famous people who do things for causes because they believe in them. Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, and Sean Penn are a few that come to mind, but I'm sure there are others. I know that it's hard for you, but try not to be so ignorant and negative.

November 23, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Lisa

Thank you, Leo! Much appreciated.

November 23, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  69. parkridgenj

I'm all for protecting wildlife but why is this newsworthy? Why isn't he doing something for the people in this country instead? And if he is, why isn't it being publicized? I understand the environmental stance he is taking but I think there are more immediate concerns domestically that he should worry about and lend his fame to those causes.

November 23, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Umm....because he is a human with a choice, and it is his to make. He doesn't have to do anything with his life. Nobody does. At the very least what he does with his life is not dictated by the masses. Including you. Now go back to building houses for Habitat For Humanity, since obviously that is the kind of thing you are probably doing at this moment ;).

November 23, 2010 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Tammy lambert in chandler

Hopefully...some of the other fat cat actors will follow suite. We are all watching.

November 23, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • not_buying_it

Tammy have you donated any time or money to help save the endangered Giant Kangaroo Rat in California? How about the Townsend's Big-eared Bat in Oklahoma? No? OK How about the Arizona Giant Sand Treader Cricket? They're all on the endangered species list. They're all close to home for you. The loss of these species would impact your ecosystem where as the loss of tigers would not...any help? We're watching you...

November 27, 2010 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  71. BootyShanks

The main way to help the environment is for families to stop having more than two or three kids.

November 23, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  72. solowsporty13

Leo is the man. Good actor and good dude

November 23, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Tim

And the first thing he did afterward was to contact CNN, People etc. Kinda loses it's shine then, doesn't it? He probably made 10 times a million from his last movie alone. If he wants to impress, he should donate 10% of his yearly income to the cause.

November 23, 2010 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • THE BODDIE

CORRECTION: Leo's "publicist" contacted CNN! (.

November 23, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lisa

Does "raise awareness" mean anything to you?

November 23, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dave

Yes, and by notifying CNN for his so-called benefit, others are now aware of this situation and may be decide to donate too. Those same people may do what they can to speak out too. It's not just about money though, it's about voices and if no one said anything no one would know about it.

November 23, 2010 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Lucy S

Bless you Leonardo for your actions on behalf of these tigers. No animal should be driven to extinction for human gain. As a civilized society, we should look to maintain the planet and its inhabitants for future generations to enjoy. Have we not learned from the destruction of vital habitats and the extinction of animals that did not deserve it? Why must humans continue to destroy what little open land we have left.

Thank you Leonardo and I hope others will follow you lead and not just talk about it.

November 23, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • not_buying_it

Lucy if you look back over the history of the Earth you will see that most of the species that have gone extinct did so long before man ever raised his puny little head. Think dinosaurs, the dodo bird, mammoths, and saber tooth tigers. Humans are responsible for very little compared to what nature does itself. That's the way of the world, species come and go, they either adapt to the pressures put on them or they die out. I wonder if Leo would be getting as much praise if he had spent his million dollars to help the endangered Giant Kangaroo Rat that lives in his home state of California? but giant rats aren't as good for press as cute and cuddly tigers...go figure...

November 27, 2010 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  75. Blake

Most of the poaching of tigers in India is being done by Tibetan exiles. In Tibetan culture, wearing a tiger skin is the ultimate status symbol, and is believed to endow its wearer with the strength of a tiger. Although the Dalai Lama has spoken out against it, his government in exile hasn't done anything to actually stop this activity. Many Tibetans consider the wearing of animal skins (especially tiger) to be an important part of their culture. Any attempt to crack down on this practice is labled "cultural genocide." Just do a search on Google and you will quickly see that almost all of the people arrested for poaching tigers are Tibetans living in India.

November 23, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Nathen

You know, I am an animal lover and I definitely think we should save the lives of endangered species. However, every time I see a big celeb touting a cause like this I wonder what would happen if they touted causes for humans like child abuse, racial profiling (that lead to disproportionate jailing), elderly abuse, and so many other causes that effect humans (I could go one with such a bigger list...) I'm not saying that we shouldn't save endangered species, in fact mankind is murdering hundreds of thousands of species every day in the rainforests – some of which haven't even been categorized by scientists but there has to be a balance and I don't see celebs with clout like Leo championing human causes.

November 23, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kreczk

Go hook up with "junk in the trunk" Ricky Martin. He loves little kids.

November 23, 2010 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will

The troubles tigers are having are caused by humans. On the other hand the troubles humans are having are caused by...humans ! The best thing humans could do for either species is lower their own fertility rate. There are too many people competing for too little water, too little food and too littlle land. If you look in the right places you can find celebrities supporting human centered causes, it's just not as "news" worthy.

November 23, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Spencer

The only way to save any endangered species is to put them on the menu or let Hunters manage their conservation. Any thing that is eaten can be found in abundance Chicken, turkeys , pork, beef, and fish. The majority of game animals that were going to be extinct in the us coming out of the Great Depression have rebounded with proper conservation of habitat and game management by hunters not nut bag conservation groups.

November 23, 2010 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ken

Wooly mammoths could be eaten, but they were hunted to extinction by hungry humans. Buffalo could be eaten ,but they were hunted to near extinction by humans trying to starve other humans. Passenger pigeons could be eaten, and there were billions of them, but they were hunted to extinction by humans. Whales could be eaten, and were almost hunted to extinction by humans.

In my experience, hunters have no regard for conservation rules and they take whatever they can get away with. I regularly have to chase them off my land. Not only do they have no right to be on my property edangering my kids, but sometimes when I find them they are hunting out-of-season, or have no permits, or killed a doe instead of buck. Sometimes they don't even know the difference.

November 23, 2010 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Allison

Way to lead by example Leo! Hopefully more people will start putting thier money where thier mouth is with thier own causes!

November 23, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  79. PersonaNonGrata

you rock, Leo

November 23, 2010 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  80. M

I'm sorry I think I directed my comment towards the wrong person. I commented to the person asking how it helped the indigenous people.

November 23, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Kreczk

This guy should be a CNN hero.

November 23, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  82. M

@ Me: to save the tigers you must save their habitat. Within that habitat millions of species (plants, bugs, etc) also thrive by being protected in said habitat. The plants and other animal food sources for these indigenous people are being saved and able to continue to thrive as well. Not only is it saving the tigers, but it is also helping to save forests, trees, plants, many things that also live within the same area.

November 23, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Toni

Thank you Mr. Dicaprio. You are for real.

November 23, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  84. johnson101

Tigers rule!

November 23, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  85. IH8ignorance

Carla_bernardino you are a disgusting person. Leave it to some right-wing nut job to take something nice and turn it into something UGLY! I am so sick of all the ignorant people posting filth and hate. Why don't you head over to FOX new's blog. Like the saying goes, if you don't have something night to say don't say anything at all!!!!!!!!!!!

November 23, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • IH8ignorance

I mean "nice" not night

November 23, 2010 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • IamWhatIEat

IH8ignorance, Try practicing what you preach. Debating is one thing, but name calling is another. Try not being so hateful yourself and joing the debate instead of adding fuel to the fire. Being right-wing or watching Foxnews has nothing to do with the argument. I, for one, meet both of those descriptions that you mentioned; however, any human with an ounce of intelligence knows how important this is. Ignorance is one thing, but your generalization makes you look like a fool.

You see, it's people like you, on both ends of the spectrum, that can't have an intelligent debate without calling somebody names after disagreeing with their point of view. you are no better than the person that you are commenting about.

November 23, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Schmit

@YouAreWhatYouEat –

Bravo!

November 23, 2010 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  86. David E.

Good for him.

November 23, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  87. bored

How does this 'improve the lives of indigenous communities' ?

November 23, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • tiger woods

by restricting development in these areas you would protect the tigers natual habitat as well as that of the indigenous people.

November 23, 2010 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Susan

If only more of the rich would donate to habitat protection in this planet, we might have a planet worth leaving to our kids. This gentleman is a true inspiration.

November 23, 2010 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Me

Hats off to him and save the tigers

November 23, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Waste of Money

What a waste of important funds that could be used to support actual PEOPLE. Seems very misguided. Can anyone out there give me a valid reason why this is a good idea? Also, explain to me how saving tigers protect wildlife and indigenous communities...

November 23, 2010 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Repo503

Dear Dr. John E Biologist, Tigers are the top predator in their ecosystem, and very important for keeping other species in check. Native cultures benefit because their way of life depends on the continued survival of these ecosystems...or else they end up share cropping palm oil.

November 23, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • chard

its saves the forest and communities cause the forest are saved through Leo's help. the communities live in the forest as well as the tigers. so all three are saved by saving the forest. leo deserves to now go to hollywood heaven, much like the muslim heaven, completely fabricated male fantasy. why doesnt he save himself.

November 23, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • J

because tigers can't save themselves. we are killing them. and the human species isn't down to a mere 3,000 or so living creatures left. there's a LOT of money going toward humanitarian efforts. i think 1 million is a drop in the bucket compared to what humanitarian programs spend. get a life.

November 23, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • MikeyNYC

Leonardo DiCaprio has devoted a great deal of his time and his money for many different causes, including this latest donation to the WWF. He has donated upwards of $10 Million dollars to these causes and has spoken publicly about many of them, using his celebrity to bring the spotlight to these organizations. The question isn't what Leonardo DiCaprio is doing, the question is what are YOU doing? Do you spend multiple weeks every year speaking out for various causes? How much money have YOU donated to causes you find important? You should stop criticizing Mr. DiCaprio and start doing something yourself, then you won't sound woefully ignorant and selfish.

November 23, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lydia

Can you give me a reson why it is not a good idea? Do you think we should let our ecosystem completely collapse? Continue to let species go extnict one after another sounds like a good idea to you? Scientists estimate that the cure for cancer could very well be lost in the plant and animal life that has already gone extinct. How sad would that be... But it really doesn't matter, losing species in and of itself is tragic. This is part of what makes our planet amazing and unique, and when you lose a species, you can very well lose another. This has tragic and sometimes unforeseen consequences. Or, sometimes the species that is hunted proliferates endangering the ecosystem around it. Diseases can spread. Do some research– you sound very uneducated.

November 23, 2010 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Re

Dear Waste,
      Did it ever occur to you that if it wasn't for PEOPLE there would be no animals to try to save??? Saving the animals and our planet for our children and grandchildren is the best cause that exists. And yes, people can help themselves, that is when they are not destroying the planet and everything on it. Animals are helpless and at our mercy, poor things. Bravo, Leo. I've been a member of many wildlife organizations for most of my life and won't stop till we make a difference. I have much admiration and respect for you and your beliefs. Homeless people? Get off your duffs and get a job. It's that simple.

November 23, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • deh

Because PEOPLE are destroying the planet, including the animals. And because PEOPLE can make a new decision and try to do something to help, like Leonardo has done. What have you done? PEOPLE are so selfish and ignorant these days that it's rare I see a cause for helping them that I can support. The earth, on the other hand, is a far more worthy cause. It gives us life, while PEOPLE would just as soon take life than help another. You need to get a life.

November 23, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • wilson

Tigers are rare, people aren't.

November 23, 2010 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

What is wrong with you people???? It is his money and he can do what he wants with itl.......................

November 23, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • CJ

Another waste of money would be the money you throw away on your internet connection to get on here and complain. Where does that stop?

November 23, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • FDL24

Waste of Money- you are an idiot.

November 24, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  91. pdiddy

why do these anyone give money to save animals we have people that need housing, food, cloth and so
    on on. WH?DON'T GET YOU GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 23, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • JD07

Because animals cannot save themselves. People have the power to change their situation. Tigers cannot.

November 23, 2010 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • michelle

To the response of Pdiddy. Obviously he didn't want to donate the money to that cause. If you don't like what he did why don't you donate a milllion dollars of your own money. Bravo Leo, thank you for trying to make a difference in something that might not be around for my children to admire. I wish that there were more people like you in the world. If I had the money I would be right behind you doing the same thing. It is sad that people will most likely kill the population of our wild tigers. Think about what they will kill after all the tigers have been destroyed. Absoulute distruction...

November 23, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • SaveThem

So you think humans are the most important animals to conserve? And humans should be allowed to kill other animals and make them disappear from this planet? Think about what would happen to humans if all other species disappeared from the earth and there was a huge number of humans and of course the animals they choose to farm for food. Pretty scary, don't you think? We are going toward that pretty fast. It's up to us to do something NOW.

November 23, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yep its me

Because it is his money and he can do with it what he wishes.

November 23, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lydia

Ok, for the sake of argument (and JUST for the sake of argument), I will concede that we are the only beings that are important, what do you think will happen to humans if we cease to care about the animals and plants in the ecosystem? HMMM???? Didn't think that far ahead did you?

November 23, 2010 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • shibbygirl

*because people are certainly not on the brink of extinction.

November 23, 2010 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • ChildrenFirst

I think it's wonderful that Mr. DiCaprio is sharing his resources to benefit a cause he believes in. However, I, too, had a fleeting thought that I wish abused children were given more significance via media attention and financial resources than animals (of any kind.) Maybe it's just me, but it sure seems like animals are valued more than our children when it comes to laws and fundraisers. That just doesn't seem right to me.

November 23, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jackie

Why don't you go back to school and learn how to proof read what you write, then maybe we will take what you have to say on a serious note.

November 23, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • KIm

Mr. PDIDDY, Why don't you go back to school and learn how to proof read what you write and then maybe we will understand what you are trying to say

November 23, 2010 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kate

Why don't you go back to school and learn how to proof read what you write. Maybe then we can understand what you have to say.

November 23, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • pazke

If you do some reading on Leo you'll find that he does contribute to quite a few causes that better the lives of people. And it's his million, he can give it to whomever he wants to.

November 23, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • CJ

Because it's his money and he can do what he wants with it... If he were to give it to people, where would the hand outs stop? If he gave it to one group, another group would whine. Or you would whine. The guy is doing something he feels passionate about, which is his decision to make, not yours. Some people love to complain.

November 23, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will

Because there are more than 6,000,000,000 of us and only 3,200 tigers.

November 23, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • MoP

"By saving tigers, we can also protect some of our last remaining ancient forests and improve the lives of indigenous communities." I think there might be some children living in them thar indigenous communities.

November 23, 2010 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Claudia

It's a wonderful cause that Mr. DiCarpio is shining a light on! Bravo!!!

November 23, 2010 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  93. THE BODDIE

GOOD JOB. THE BODDIE cant call you LeoNerdo DeCraprio today after this! THE BODDIE still doesn't think he should play John Wilkes Booth in Spielberg's 'Lincoln' movie coming out in 2012. SPOILER ALERT!! Lincoln gets shot in the end.

November 23, 2010 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • JohnM

Which end?

November 23, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Will

I wouldn't have thought he could play Howard Hughes until I saw "The Aviator". He nailed it. Boothe should be easy in comparison. DiCaprio is not just a pretty face but is a fine actor.

November 23, 2010 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  94. suzi starz n peace

also we need to educate those who somehow believe that tiger parts bestow magical cures or powers or who think they r elite or bad because they have a tiger tooth or fur in their possession

November 23, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  95. suzi starz n peace

i hope we can help save the earth by simplifying our lives so that we can all sustain ourselves but not at the expense of our own environment and ecosystem. Little life changes-if done by enough people-can really make a difference. I hope more musicians start singing about being socially and environmentally conscious instead about hookin up at the club and partying all day n nite. By the way i think tigers are one of the most beautiful animals ever to exist on this earth. Losing the tigers and the trees and gaining more barren land and landfills and overcrowded slums is rather sad to me. I hope we can spread the message for a less greedy world and teach each other that we need to eat less junk food made with palm oil. We need to reduce reuse and recycle when it comes to paper. And we need to conserve trees as much as possible (plant new ones etc) ? Lets work on feeding the hungry and eradicating disease as well. There's so much that we can do to help that im surprised a bit by those who say they r bored

November 23, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Odalice Yolanda Feliz

I'm so happy Leonardo is making a stand for wild animals that are endanger of extinction.

November 23, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chella

I'm just happy knowing that there are smart, talented men out there who are both handsome and generous – kudos to Leo.

November 23, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  97. DiCaprio

Wow, I didn't know he was 36!

November 23, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Diane

Hey! There is nothing wrong with 36! You will that age someday if you are lucky.

November 23, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Meesh

I'm so proud of him for doing this

November 23, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Mom

My six-year-old daughter loves DiCaprio, not for his acting chops, but because he is saving tigers. She asked me to say, "Thank you to the nice man."

November 23, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  100. Rob

Thank you Mr. DiCaprio for yor help and donation you're the real deal.

November 23, 2010 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Texas Pete

Now if only he could save his acting career.

November 23, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • shadysider

I know. His films from 2008-2010 have only grossed $300 million+.

November 23, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dyson

His acting career? Ha Texas Pete you must live under a rock.

November 23, 2010 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

Texas Pete...you are ridiculous...

Departed....Inception....

Thats all I am going to say....

November 23, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • DigThis

He doesn't live under a rock, he lives in Texas...that's more like living under a mountain or in a cave.

November 23, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • anonymous

Yes, thank you, Leonardo, the tigers need to be saved, and the homeless...well, the homeless can stay homeless...

November 23, 2010 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mike

I live in San Antonio, and I LOL'ed at DigThis. Your more right than you know.

November 23, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

I've never been a big DiCaprio fan, but I've got to say lately he's been making some good movies. His acting has definitely evolved.

November 23, 2010 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Are you guys serious about the acting comments? This man is one of the most successful actors of all time, and here you are running your mouths as if he was some kinda deadbeat? Get you facts straight kids before opening your mouths...seriously. Ignorance irritates me!

November 23, 2010 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Repo503

Your name ends in a vowel and you are likely fat...so you can be the first tiger meal.

November 23, 2010 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Really!!!!!!

You are a mean evil person obviously full of hate. Get some HELP!

November 23, 2010 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  103. IH8ignorance

Carla_bernardino you are a disgusting person. Leave it to some right-wing nut job to take something nice and turn it into something UGLY! I am so sick of all the ignorant people posting filth and hate. Why don't you head over to FOX new's blog. Like the saying goes, if you don't have something nice to say don't say anything at all

November 23, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Yep its me

Repo503,

How does it feel to be a rectal orephus?

November 23, 2010 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Yep its me

Repo,

Guess Ih8 and Really musy be your Dingleberries.

Self rightous fools can t even see a joke.....unless they look in a mirror!

November 23, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  106. IH8ignorance

Dingleberries, really intelligent. You must have a Harvard Degree. It really does fall right in line with first comment you posted. I bet Carla is also a Sara Palin fan. Too many idiots in this country. LMFAO

November 23, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Arley

LoL Carla

You know what I find amazing? Obvious democrats insulting the opinions of others, calling them stupid and the like. Way to reassure me that I made the right decision registering as a republican. I can't for the life of me understand why everything needs to come down to politics...people are allowed to have their own beliefs and opinions about everything... that would be why we live in a democratic nation. If you would like everyone to have your beliefs..save up and start your own socialist island nation. I admit this post brought a smile to my face...at least some people acknowledge that illegal immigration is an issue... Not saying that we should close our borders completely.. but why don't these people have to go through the proper channels? Money? There's plenty of people like IH8ignorance
    that would be willing to sponser these people coming here legally... right? Or are you not willing to back your beliefs?? And please, by all means, bash me...call me every name you can think of. Big tough guy behind a keyboard....I'm shaking in my office seat.

November 23, 2010 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  108. sarah

what the fu*k have you done to help? I can't stand people who insult those that give back.

November 23, 2010 at 3:02 pm | Report abuse |
  109. I_agree

I agree completely sarah! This guy is probably living off of charity himself. Nothing but a comment troll.

November 23, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Repo503

Ha wow I must have struck a nerve...anyway pretty obvious I understand sarcasm otherwise I would have said "but the desert isn't good tiger habitat!"

November 23, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |