Tragedy strikes on 'The Walking Dead'
November 22nd, 2010

Tragedy strikes on 'The Walking Dead'

Editor's Note: If you don't like spoilers of any kind, you should probably stop reading now.

The plot moved along at a brisk pace on Sunday night's "The Walking Dead," at least compared to previous episodes. The script was written by the comic book's creator Robert Kirkman, and it turned out to be one of the strongest episodes so far.

For one thing, we learned of another group of survivors living in Atlanta, the Vatos. At first they appeared to be a street gang, having kidnapped Glenn during a zombie attack.

Rick's group (while still searching for Merle, who ended up taking their van) took one of the Vatos' men hostage as well, and attempted to trade him for Glenn. After the two heavily armed groups faced off, it was discovered that the Vatos were actually taking care of some of the elderly, using what medical knowledge they had between them. More and more, we see that things are not what they seem on this show.

Back at the camp, Jim appeared to be descending into madness, constantly digging holes up on a nearby hill. He said that he was persuaded to do this in a dream. Unfortunately, it turned out that he was something of a psychic, because zombies attacked the camp at night (a scene which started as one of the biggest jump-out-of-your-seat moments of the series so far).

Despite the return of Rick and crew, the camp suffered heavy casualties, including Amy, who had recently reunited with her sister, Andrea. Laurie Holden pulled off an extraordinary performance in this scene, in shock at her sister's sudden death.

Were you impressed by this episode as well? What do you hope to see in the last two episodes of the season? And where's Merle? Share your iReport video review here, or comment below.

1. Nichole

Season 2 won't start until Oct 2011!!!

November 22, 2010 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Nichole

How are there only 6 episodes this season!!??
    I usually don't like horror things but this show is amazing!!!

November 22, 2010 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. happytam

I thought this episode was great. I immediately hated the Vatos and then felt bad when it turns out they were helping all those elderly people. Guess you can't judge a book by it's cover. The attack at the camp totally threw me for a loop. I couldn't believe how many in the group were lost. I hope all the people who get buried also get a shot to the head before going into the ground, otherwise could be bad news.
    I am completely hooked on this show and can't wait for the rest of the episodes. Anyone know how long before season 2 starts airing?

November 22, 2010 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. ej

...good theory but too many zombies to fit in the van, plus...isn't the van open to the driver...wouldn't Merle be eaten alive while trying to drive the "walkers" to camp?

November 22, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. serhaex

Does anyone think that Merle may have actually led or brought the zombies to the camp as revenge for leaving him handcuffed on the roof? He did have the van.

November 22, 2010 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Speedymon

Yes! I was thinking the same thing.

November 22, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • happytam

I thought the same thing. Merle loaded them into the van then set them free outside the camp. It seemed like there were too many that showed up all at once for it to be a random attack. I doubt they stumble around in packs, like a gang. But ej, you're right.... I remember the van being open between the back and the driver. Maybe Merle blocked it off somehow, or maybe we're all way off track. Can't wait for the next two episodes.

November 22, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  6. faye218

when rick and the others had to run back to camp – I can't imagine they were running for more than an hour. So what – 5 or 6 miles then? Obviously the geeks are wandering away from the city. This camp needs to move. Asap. Add'l 10 miles I'd say. OR as my zombie plan states – head for the nearest theater. Made of concrete. Soundproof. No windows. Steel doors on every room. It's perfect! Except for the no fresh water or food thing....

November 22, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Be Quiet

The only ones who are safe are the 7 "regular" cast members, everyone else is up for zombie grabs!

Laurie Holden...wow girl. Emmy time? I think so.

November 22, 2010 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Child, Please!

Have to say I Agree 100%!

November 22, 2010 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

Nobody is safe. Not even the "regulars". Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, is fair game here.

November 22, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Be Quiet

@David, maybe you're right! However it turns out, I just can't believe how awesome this show is! It's not often that I'm glued to the TV, but this show has got me. The only other show with that same effect on me is another AMC show, Breaking Bad...which I feel is the best show currently on TV.

My biggest question after last night: Where is Merle (stumpy)?

Such great acting from all of them.

November 22, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • David

Merle is a wild card, because he's not in the books. It's pretty exciting wondering what this guy is going to do, and how his actions will affect the group.

November 22, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Pliny

Cheefsfury...your writing talents (much like your genitals) couldn't fill a thimble.

November 22, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Chelle

LOVED the Vatos. What a cool twist! I hope we get to see more of them. A sad moment with the sisters at the end. I sure hope we get more then the 6 episodes!!

November 22, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. aughra

First time I've shouted at the TV screen involuntarily in a long time! Laugh, sure...but yell "No!"? Too cool TV–and a sad chapter for this extended family.

November 22, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  11. Bioscotto

@cheefsfury – Isn't that just a general formula for EVERY TV show? Fill those blanks with zombies any day, and I'm all in!

November 22, 2010 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
    • cheefsfury

YAH EXCEPT I KNOW WUT HAPPENS NEXT

November 22, 2010 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Well its based on a comic book so of course you do. It doesn't make you smart just capable of following a story which my 4 year old nephew can do.

November 26, 2010 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. WinchLock

Really enjoyed this episode, much more than the previous. I can't wait to see where they go with this (based on the preview of next week's episode).

November 22, 2010 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  13. cheefsfury

OK I BET IN NEXT EPISODE {BLANK} GETS ALL MAD THAT {BLANK} THEN {BLANK} HAPPENED THEN {BLANK} {BLANKS} {BLANK} AND THEN {BLANK} IS LIKE OH NO THEN EVERYONE {BLANKS} TO {BLANK}THEN EVENTUALLY {BLANK} TAKES {BLANKS} OUT TO {BLANK}THEN GETS ALL {BLANK} THEN {BLANK} IS LIKE OH NOEZ THEN {BLANKS} {BLANKS} }BLANK}

November 22, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |