November 22nd, 2010

Backstreet Boys and NKOTB team up for new single

Backstreet’s back alright, and so are the New Kids on the Block. All grown up (but forever referred to as boy bands), they talked to CNN on the red carpet at the American Music Awards Sunday.

BSB’s Howie Dorough let a little secret slip in front of our cameras: The two bands have already recorded a new single together. TMI? Maybe. Once Dorough let that cat out of the bag, NKOTB's Joey McIntyre said, "You gave her the scoop, Howie!"

The boy bands made for one of the biggest onstage highlights at the awards show with a medley of hits like "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)," "Hangin' Tough," "I Want It That Way" and "Step By Step." (Update 1:55 p.m. Fans are clearly amped for this union, as the two groups have added 18 shows to their upcoming co-headlined summer tour, with an additional night in both Chicago and Toronto. For more information, head to NKOTBSB.com.)

Also on the red carpet was a pregnant Pink, who said, “Everything I eat stays down.” She told CNN that her AMA number would also be her baby’s first live performance.

Usher, who said he became emotional watching protégé Justin Bieber win a whopping four awards, had nothing but praise for the singing boy wonder.  "It seems like he's having fun," Usher said. "Understanding the hard work that goes into it is probably the hardest part of it and he's accepted that."

And we’d be remiss if we didn’t spotlight AMA fashion, the best of which can be summed up in two words: LEGO hat.

Post by:
Filed under: Celebrities • Music

1. Kathy

Has anyone seen the new video from The Script yet? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPEBN2dVNUY) I can't wait for their new cd

November 29, 2010 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  2. daniela27

They will be touring with NKOTB this 2011. Watched their performance in 2010 AMA. Girls are still drooling over them. hahah. A boy band will be a boy band and they are a legend.

November 24, 2010 at 7:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. Victor

Instead of whining about wnating only this or that band on the tour, people should just be happy that they are still able to tour at all. These guys aren't idiots, they know full well that they are way past their prime and that the only way their concert tour will be a profitable ventire is by joining forces.

Besides, both groups were good and they were both multi platinum selling groups. So please, stop all the whining, buy your ticket, and be thankful you still get to see them on tour.

November 23, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Pam

This is the WORST idea ever!!!!! I LOVE NKOTB but I HATE BSB and last night's performance was the worst thing I've ever seen. NKOTB barely even sang their own songs. I am SOOOOOO upset & am an avid concert-goer who has listened to nothing but NKOTB since The Block came out 9/08 but I almost don't want to go. I might not go & I just signed up for the Full Service package. I am SOOOOO upset. I really hope this tour gets cancelled. I want just NKOTB!!!!! For the love of god!!

November 23, 2010 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  5. Kathryn

I've been to every Backstreet Boys' concert since 2001 and I love every minute. They give kick ass performances and I'm totally not surprised that they managed to show the youngsters a thing or two last night! So yes, I'll be buying myself and my groups of girls tickets–cannot WAIT!!!!!

November 22, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Francis R.

Ron31- Dont let the fact that you're a 35 year old man stop you from enjoying this tour. There are lots of other straight men who went to see NKOTB on tour the past two years. Some were there with their wives and others went solo or with a friend. Most of the venues sold alcohol so its not a kids show. Its very much for adults. So go ahead and buy a ticket for a show or two. I promise you'll have lots of fun. You'll even make new friends. But hurry and get your tickets before they're sold out. :)

November 22, 2010 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ron31

Thanks Francis R.,heybumper and Lorin. I think I will "Step by Step" buy a ticket and then do the "Right Stuff" and go.Then I'll be "Hangin Tough" with the rest of the crowd and maybe even eat a "Popsickle" after the concert,because I believe they"ll be in my area in the "Summertime".

November 23, 2010 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  7. missdoya

Amazin'!!

November 22, 2010 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Nat

OMG theres a new song when does it come out???

November 22, 2010 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  9. VL

The sound mixing/blending was horrible last night. MOST performers sounded awful and off key. I love NKOTB and LOVED the performance, best of the night, but not the best vocal of the night.

November 22, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Lorin

Ron31-I think if you like em you should go anyway. :)

November 22, 2010 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Ron31

I've been a huge New Kids On The Block fan since I was a kid.NKOTB paved the way for Backstreet Boys I personally think the two would have an awesome tour together and if I wasn't a 35 year old man I would go see them.

November 22, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • RJ

Ron, there are always tons of guys at the concerts, rocking out as much as the ladies – you should go!

November 22, 2010 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • heybumper

I'm a 36 year old woman and I've seen the BSB every time they've been to my part of the world (DC). I also saw NKOTB last year. Go to the concert! Enjoy!! You only live life once. Screw people who can't deal and who make snarky comments.

November 22, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ron31

I've been a huge New Kids On The Block since I was a kid.NKOTB paved the way for Backstreet Boys I personally think the two would have an awesome tour together and if I wasn't a 35 year old man I would go see them.

November 22, 2010 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. lisa

new kids on the block and backstreet boys were the best part of that show. it took my back to my teens. @cheefsfury...miley cyrus is the best performer ever? yeah ok.

November 22, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lorin

Autotuner- I'm not entirely sure what is so funny about a 2011 tour?

November 22, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. cheefsfury

I SAW THIS LAST NIGHT AND I JUST WANNA SAY THAT EVERY SINGLE PREFORMER SOUNDED REAL BAD THEY NEED A NEW SOUND GUY I MEAN MILEY CYRUS SOUNDED BAD AND SHE IS THE BEST PERFORMER EVER

November 22, 2010 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Autotuner

I agree....But the technology has not advanced to make them sound any better...Unless they use the Milli Vanilli technology...
      2011 summer tour...hahahahahahahaha

November 22, 2010 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lorin

I'm not really sure what you are talking about because when Backstreet and New Kids performed last night they sounded perfect and right on key!Most of the other acts were horrible though!

November 22, 2010 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • cheefsfury

R US SERIUS GUYS CMON MILEY IS REAL GOOD AND I REMEMBER THE BACK STREET BOYS AND MY MOM WAS SINGING A LONG WITH THE NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK WE DID A DUET IT WAS PRETTY FUN

November 22, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Flo

New single together???Oh noooooo,pls!I hate BSB and only want NKOTB without BSB.....

November 23, 2010 at 4:56 am | Report abuse |