Love was in the air on 'Big Bang Theory'
November 19th, 2010

Love was in the air on 'Big Bang Theory'

It finally happened.

For those who swear that there is an undercurrent of something special between Raj and Howard, Thursday night’s kiss on “Big Bang Theory” trumped even the fake revitalization of Penny and Leonard’s relationship.

Sure it was cute to see the latter pair pretend to be a couple for Penny’s dad’s sake, but I so enjoyed watching Raj bond with Howard’s girlfriend, Bernadette. Since he has scored a girlfriend, Howard can’t seem to be without her so he naturally invited her along while he and Raj attempt to discover a new planet.

We hard core “Bangers” know that this could only be achieved with the assistance of some libation as Raj can’t bring himself to speak in front of a female without the aid of alcohol.

Let’s just say good times ensued once Raj started really loosening up. By the time they were in to their second bottle of wine, Raj was well into the “depressed drunk stage” and began to bemoan that no one will ever love him.

Bernadette’s assertion that he was a great guy led him to lean in for a wet one which Howard intercepted … with his lips. I know this was supposed to be a secondary storyline, but it sure didn’t play like one.

Meanwhile, Keith Carradine was a great guest star as Penny’s beleaguered dad who takes a liking to Leonard. Of course, Leonard is the smartest boyfriend Penny has ever had (not to mention the fact that he has no criminal record) and her dad really would like for them to be a couple.

His learning that they had been faking being back together led to one of the funniest lines of the night when Penny’s dad said, “I want grandkids before I die, and I'd like to see them grow up in a house without wheels.” Well said Penny’s papa.

Do we think this is all a big set up to lead to a real reconciliation between Penny and Leonard or are we over it? And speaking of couples, what is up with Raj and Howard? Speak on it!

1. Steven R.

If Raj was gay he wouldn't be able to talk to guys or girls.

November 21, 2010 at 8:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • A girl

No, I'm a girl and I have selective mutism like Raj. Girls are just more intimidating and harder to talk to.

May 2, 2012 at 8:22 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Tom Bruce

One of the funniest shows ever on TV, and only one of three shows I now currently watch. Oddly, no pun intended, they all are from the mind of Chuck Lorre.

November 21, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sogeking

Penny is an utter moron who's getting too long in the tooth to be going out with trashy guys.

November 21, 2010 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Odalice feliz

cute, wished I watched t.v

November 21, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. alumette

who cares? it's a sitcom....let them be or do whatever. Do we need to give clues to the writers? cheap shot.

November 21, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  6. MPA

Is anyone else as annoyed as I am with Sheldon's friend, Amy? I don't think she adds anything to the show. I think the interaction between Amy and Sheldon is DULL. She was not funny in the slumber party bit. I wish they would take her out. The best interaction is between Sheldon, Penny, and Leondard.

November 21, 2010 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  7. DW

Bring back the first two seasons interactions – they were hilarious! As for Raj and Howard – leave them as co-geekville – way funnier!

November 20, 2010 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Richard

The gay sub-plot, if that is what it is is not needed. Penny-Leonard seemed forced and overlong. Sheldon and Penny make the best character interactions, it's too bad they don't do more shows like they did in season 2.

November 20, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. kgeek

Like the tension between Penny and Leonard as not being a couple but an ex-couple. AS for Raj and Howard, c'mon guys, not every show on TV has to have a gay sub-plot. Just let them be co-geeks..

November 20, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Report abuse |
  10. scroo yoo

What?

November 20, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Debra christian

Does anyone beside me notice that the first several episodes centered on Sheldon?? It seemed forced-as if they were catering to the character because Jim won the Emmy.Too many long speeches from Shelly.
    I did not like this change. I like the old ensemble style of the first two years. They play off each other so well. When it's Sheldon all the time I feel ripped off.

November 20, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • kgeek

Part of the extra exposure might have been them working around Kaley and her broken leg .

November 20, 2010 at 7:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Be Quiet

I think maybe some of that came from them having to write Penny out of a few of the first episodes. Kaley Cuoco fell off a horse and hurt herself, so I think they had to bulk up the rest of them a bit while she got better.

November 21, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mooo

Come one they will make cute beautiful smart baby's . No i don't care if they make up or break up. Loved Sheldon's reaction!!

November 20, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sam

I think it would be great to bring back the Leonard/Penny relationship. They were a cute couple and it made for a good sub-plot. I think this is a lead in to a possible reconciliation simply because this was also brought up during last week's "girl's night" plot.

Can't wait to see where the writers go next!

November 20, 2010 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  14. where in the world carmen sandiego

don't want the Leonard / Penny relationship. it was very tired after a few episodes. but i loved sheldon's reaction when they "broke up"

November 19, 2010 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |